TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
faerie

Dead Tivo HD: Is there any way to transfer my shows to a Roamio?

Our TivoHD appears to be dead - either bad PS or MoBo. The hard drive appears to still be functional. Is there any way to transfer our TV shows from the hard drive of the HD to a Roamio?
Old 11-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerie View Post
Our TivoHD appears to be dead - either bad PS or MoBo. The hard drive appears to still be functional. Is there any way to transfer our TV shows from the hard drive of the HD to a Roamio?
Pretty much not.

The shows are tied to the TiVo Service Number, which means that those shows on which your cable company did not set the anti-copy bit still have to be transferred to a PC or another TiVo (which have to be assigned the same Media Access Key by TiVo, Inc.) by the HD's motherboard, where the TSN is.

Unfortunately beginning with the HD and HD XL the TSN is in the CPU itself, rather than on a separate, movable to another motherboard although with some difficulty, crypto chip.

Exactly what diagnosis procedures have you employed on that HD and in exactly what way does it appear dead?

(Maybe we can do some resurrecting, depending)

Anyone in the house know by which end not to pick up a soldering iron?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
faerie

Thanks for the help. That's what I thought would likely be the answer, but I wanted to be sure!

We have not diagnosed it thoroughly quite yet.

Front of Tivo displays no lights. No video is output. There is a sound from the Tivo when plugged in, either a fan or the HDD. Unplugging the power cord and plugging it in again results in the lights on a front coming on for just a moment, then going off again.

I'm guessing this is a bad PS. We're considering purchasing a new PS for this one and redeploying it to a family member if we can bring it back to life. In the meantime, we're looking at the current Roamio deals and considering taking advantage of an upgrade for us.

We're fairly handy - we both build our own computers, though I'd never soldered anything.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
AdamNJ

Quote:
We're fairly handy - we both build our own computers, though I'd never soldered anything.
A chance for a learning opportunity...
If it's broken already you can't make it worse. So if you find the problem and need to solder a component, give it a try.

Just keep the proper fire extinguisher nearby.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for the help. That's what I thought would likely be the answer, but I wanted to be sure!

We have not diagnosed it thoroughly quite yet.

Front of Tivo displays no lights. No video is output. There is a sound from the Tivo when plugged in, either a fan or the HDD. Unplugging the power cord and plugging it in again results in the lights on a front coming on for just a moment, then going off again.

I'm guessing this is a bad PS. We're considering purchasing a new PS for this one and redeploying it to a family member if we can bring it back to life. In the meantime, we're looking at the current Roamio deals and considering taking advantage of an upgrade for us.

If that HD isn't lifetimed already, buying a new Roamio, or even Premiere, should give you the leverage to get lifetime on that HD for no more than $99.

Of course we need to make sure it can be saved before doing anything like that.

The TiVo uses what's called a switch mode supply, just like a PC does, except that when you take the cover off of a PC the power supply still has its own cover to keep your fingers away from the 120V section, whereas the one in the TiVo is exposed.

KNOW WHERE BOTH ENDS OF THE POWER SUPPLY CORD ARE AT ALL TIMES

Series 2 and Series 3 power supplies (as well as switch mode supplies in wide variety of other consumer electronics from roughly '98 to '08, including CPU voltage regulating circuits on PC motherboards) are subject to being the victims of "capacitor plague".

Wikipedia has a fairly good article about capacitor plague.

Later today or this evening I'll try to put together links to previous posts here at TCF that go into detail about how to check your TiVo supply and repair it, as well as detail about how to run the manufacturer's test on the hard drive without screwing up the TiVo software.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
faerie

Thanks Unitron! That would be great! We don't have the funds at the moment for the Roamio, so we'd like to give a repair a go.

We do have lifetime on the HD.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Thanks Unitron! That would be great! We don't have the funds at the moment for the Roamio, so we'd like to give a repair a go.

We do have lifetime on the HD.
You'll need a #10 Torx bit to take the TiVo apart, and if taking the power supply out to replace capacitors is necessary, you'll need a #8 Torx bit for the screw that goes in from the outside just above the AC jack as well.

See if you can get your hands on a voltmeter with a 0-20 or 0-25 Volt DC range.

And download the .iso of the Ultimate Boot cd image and burn it "as an image" (so that it's bootable) to cd-r.

That's so we can run the manufacturer's long test on the hard drive.

And go over to wikipedia and read up on "capacitor plague".

Old 11-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
unitron

I'm trying to find some of my more longwinded posts about power supply checking and fixing.

This one

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...29#post9807629

is actually about a Premiere power supply, but the basic principles, and the color codes, are the same so start by reading it while I look for more of them.

The HD used two different models of power supply, so if it needs new capacitors soldered in we'll have to figure out which one you have to know which cap list to use.

More later.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
unitron

If you need a hard drive replacement, this might be informative as well.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...27#post9910327