TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Juggs64
Keith

Premier Memory Upgrade: Is it possible/Worth it?

I got a Premier a few months ago, just before Roamio was introduced of course and noticed that doing anything in the Tivo menu seems slow. Is it possible to upgrade the RAM or is the HD the only item that is upgradeable? If so, is there a got site to get the hardware?
Juggs64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggs64 View Post
I got a Premier a few months ago, just before Roamio was introduced of course and noticed that doing anything in the Tivo menu seems slow. Is it possible to upgrade the RAM or is the HD the only item that is upgradeable? If so, is there a got site to get the hardware?
I'm guessing that a memory upgrade wouldn't speed up your Premiere very much, since the primary limitation is probably the limited processing speed. But has anyone every upgraded a Premiere's memory or seen any evidence that it would even help?

Most Windows computers end up being starved for memory as the OS and applications get more bloated, and sometimes a memory upgrade can do wonders. But TiVos run Linux, which is not such a memory hog. OTOH, a Premiere also uses Flash, which presumably is not only slow but also bloated. I'm guessing TiVos don't use virtual memory, so maybe "thrashing" can't be a problem, but are there any other signs that memory is ever a choke point? Thanks.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote