TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
type_g

Boardwalk Empire S04E12

WOW

Lot of bad people out of the way seems like. Sad to see one go. That last scene was gut wrenching happy for a second and then sad another.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
KenDC
Huggy Bear

I need some help on this one. It was so dark in most scenes I didn't know what happened.

Can we have spoilers in here?
Old 11-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
astrohip
Stuart F

Yes, spoilers are allowed.

Here is a link to an interview with the showrunner. Lots of info on this season, and why they did what they did with the characters. Some modest spoilers for next season, mainly along the lines of who is coming back (like we didn't know!):

http://tvline.com/2013/11/24/boardwa...ast-returning/
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Poor Nuckie. That's twice recently he tried to help Chalky in ways that backfired and made Chalky want to kill him.

So Eli's joining the Capone mob. That should be...interesting. I was a little surprised to see Junior G-Man die. I figured he was going to ultimately break bad. He would have made an interesting mobster...
Old 11-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
KenDC
Huggy Bear

Did Chauke's daughter get shot and die? It was meant for the doctor but the shapeshooter missed? Did the doctor have control of Chauke's daughter the way he did the other "daughter"?
Old 11-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDC View Post
Did Chauke's daughter get shot and die? It was meant for the doctor but the shapeshooter missed? Did the doctor have control of Chauke's daughter the way he did the other "daughter"?
I think Narcisse kidnapped Chalky's daughter to compell him to tell him where Daughter was; she didn't seem to be there willingly. She just happened to pass in front of Narcisse as Richard was making his shot. And yes, she died, or at least looked dead at the end.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
KenDC
Huggy Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I think Narcisse kidnapped Chalky's daughter to compell him to tell him where Daughter was; she didn't seem to be there willingly. She just happened to pass in front of Narcisse as Richard was making his shot. And yes, she died, or at least looked dead at the end.
Thanks. I don't know if it is my TV but the last two weeks the very dark episodes scenes have been almost impossible to see. I don't seem to have that issue with any other show.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I was a little confused by the conversation between Narcisse and Hoover. So is Narcisse a fake? Is he not the real Doctor. Is he a "double-agent"?
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Hoover was putting the squeeze on Narcisse, trying to turn him into an informant.

I think he's a fake. Even Daughter called him one when she was telling Chalky about him.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #10
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm glad it's not just me on the dark thing, I was afraid it was going to be new DLP bulb time soon!

The thing with Richard at the end was pretty sad, for sure. His personal life had finally turned him into something other than a cold blooded killer, and it ended up being his undoing.

Overall, while I did enjoy this season, I didn't enjoy it as much as previous seasons. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that the Narcisse storyline wasn't strong enough to be as highly placed as it was, and I'm ready for something else. I'd like to see Nucky really kick some ass again, but it's probably not going happen (at least not like the "old days").

Either way, I'll almost certainly keep watching.

Brad
bsnelson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #11
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

So Richard was dead at the end? I was a little unclear about that. The character I felt most bad for all season was Chaulky. Poor guy had nothing go right from the second Narcisse came on the scene. I thought it was a pretty good season, and I'm looking forward to more.

Edit: Reading the link above confirmed Richard died. So sad.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Also from the article...they mention that Nucky would have killed Eli. They did that so well that honestly I wasn't sure. When Will asks if he would have done it toward the end of the episode, Nucky insinuates that he wouldn't have, but, it seems that was just for Will's benefit.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #13
astrohip
Stuart F

Enjoyed this episode, and really enjoyed this season. About my only complaint with this show (in the past) has been how each year is a season-long setup for the action of the final 2-3 eps. It always ends up satisfying, but I sometimes feel like it's a slog to get there.

This year changed that. I thought each week was much more engrossing. I didn't need to wait for a payoff, as every week brought it. Especially loved the Chalky/Narcisse story line.

Richard's death was incredibly moving. Who would have thought we'd be mourning a serial murderer? Just shows how well written his character was, and what a job Jack Huston did with it. I do agree it was the thing to do; his character had reached its end. Unlike say Homeland where a certain character was kept alive, because of the incredibleness of the actor, instead of dying as the story dictated (purposely vague for spoiler reasons), here they did the right thing. Sad, but still the right thing.

Looking forward to next season.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Enjoyed this episode, and really enjoyed this season. About my only complaint with this show (in the past) has been how each year is a season-long setup for the action of the final 2-3 eps. It always ends up satisfying, but I sometimes feel like it's a slog to get there.

This year changed that. I thought each week was much more engrossing. I didn't need to wait for a payoff, as every week brought it. Especially loved the Chalky/Narcisse story line.

Richard's death was incredibly moving. Who would have thought we'd be mourning a serial murderer? Just shows how well written his character was, and what a job Jack Huston did with it. I do agree it was the thing to do; his character had reached its end. Unlike say Homeland where a certain character was kept alive, because of the incredibleness of the actor, instead of dying as the story dictated (purposely vague for spoiler reasons), here they did the right thing. Sad, but still the right thing.

Looking forward to next season.
Maybe the best part of the show is that these characters are very complex. There's good and bad in all of them, and at times they show both, and sometimes in the same scene. Chaulky for instance is a family man and ruthless bootlegger. All of the things Nucky did for Margaret. Even Eddie turned out to have a very dark past and there was more to him than Nucky's bumbling butler. I really enjoy well written mob stories, that aren't cliche, and this one really is up there.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #15
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDC View Post
I need some help on this one. It was so dark in most scenes I didn't know what happened.
You, too?

I've been blaming my dim RP TV but it's even dark on the web.

When there was the panic with everyone running out of the Onyx Club I could just see a few portions of white faces.

These guys should try watching on a TV and not film.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I wish they had killed Narcisse and Richard could live happily ever after, but that's what makes continuing dramas.

Hint: J. Edgar was a racist. He bugged Rev. Martin Luther King.

Funny that by the time of the FBI TV show he was proudly saying they made organized crime the FBI's #1 enemy. Whatever is up in the polls.

They didn't push too much that Al suspected Torio.

I was gonna mention that all that had to happen was Eli seeing Van Alden in Chicago. Now he has. I'll bet they agree to keep Van Alden's past secret, and that gives Eli something to hold over him, since Van Alden is wanted by the feds in Atlantic City.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #17
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
You, too?

I've been blaming my dim RP TV but it's even dark on the web.

When there was the panic with everyone running out of the Onyx Club I could just see a few portions of white faces.

These guys should try watching on a TV and not film.
I had the same problem. I wondered if that was by design, to add to the confusion.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #18
Satchel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
I was gonna mention that all that had to happen was Eli seeing Van Alden in Chicago. Now he has. I'll bet they agree to keep Van Alden's past secret, and that gives Eli something to hold over him, since Van Alden is wanted by the feds in Atlantic City.
They're both in the same boat...killed a Fed and on the lamb. They'll respect each other's secrets.
Satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #19
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

RIP Richard Harrow. He was one of my favorite characters on the show.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #20
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
So Richard was dead at the end? I was a little unclear about that. The character I felt most bad for all season was Chaulky. Poor guy had nothing go right from the second Narcisse came on the scene. I thought it was a pretty good season, and I'm looking forward to more.

Edit: Reading the link above confirmed Richard died. So sad.
Harrow's death echoed a classic Twilight Zone epsiode "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" (which was made from an Ambrose Bierce story).
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #21
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
Harrow's death echoed a classic Twilight Zone epsiode "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" (which was made from an Ambrose Bierce story).
I've probably seen that episode, about 35 years ago!! Definitely didn't read the story. I might have to go find the TZ episode now!!
Old 11-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #22
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

It was cool to see how he really looks. Of course that clued me in that he passed on.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #23
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

In an interview the actor who played Harrow said he got to keep a mask.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #24
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
In an interview the actor who played Harrow said he got to keep a mask.
I noted that they have often cheaped out on the CGI/makeup of Harrow's uncovered face. This last time they just shot him from the good side.

Emmy nominations: Jack Huston. Gretchen Mol already won, right?
Stephen Graham, a Brit playing Al Capone, is gonna make a run at it.

Eli wins for having the best hat.

I'd say that Buschemi is due but he does a lot of playing Buschemi.
UVerse and OTA

Old 11-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #25
jradosh
Newlywed

There weren't any scenes too dark for me. Maybe all of you need new TVs?

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #26
goblue97
Hoke-amania

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
There weren't any scenes too dark for me. Maybe all of you need new TVs?
I didn't notice anything too dark either. I watched via HBO GO (if that matters).
goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #27
jradosh
Newlywed

I watched on my 58" Samsung Plasma.

This season seemed so short. I enjoyed it all and wish there were more episodes.

Poor Mr. White.
Poor Mr. Harrow

Eli has nine lives. Well... now 7.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #28
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I've probably seen that episode, about 35 years ago!! Definitely didn't read the story. I might have to go find the TZ episode now!!

The Twilight Zone S05E22 An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge Full Episode
You need to upgrade your Flash Player
Twilight Zone. According to Wikipedia it was the last episode produced by Rod Serling.

It was also made into a short movie

An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge (1962)

Also it was an Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode

Alfred Hitchcock Presents S05E13 An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge

The basic conceit has been used many times. Remember that the entire 8 years of Newhart were just a dream of Bob Hartley's. :-)
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #29
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Technically the 1962 movie was bought by the TZ producers and with a little editing (like Serling's Stand up at the beginning), shown as a TZ episode.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #30
john4200

Whether you watch in a dark room or a bright room can make a lot of difference in perceiving shades of gray and black levels on your display.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote