TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

No Internet, no search, in HDUI

My Internet was out briefly today, and I noticed something troubling: Search was greyed out on my TiVo, and didn't work at all, despite the TiVo having locally-stored guide data. Since this was a Premiere, I temporarily switched to the SDUI, did a "Search by Title", and successfully scheduled the recording I wanted. But if it had been a Roamio, I guess I couldn't have searched at all?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
moyekj

Yup. When TiVo servers are down search doesn't work either. It's scary/annoying how dependent TiVo is making series 4+ dependent on always on internet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
cherry ghost

No changes can be made in the To Do List either
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
hershey4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Yup. When TiVo servers are down search doesn't work either. It's scary/annoying how dependent TiVo is making series 4+ dependent on always on internet.

yeah, that's how they track our every move!!!!

Probably ad-related too.
hershey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

The Roamio and Mini don't even have an SDUI, so no internet makes them nearly useless.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #6
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey4 View Post
yeah, that's how they track our every move!
Actually, even with the SDUI, there was already a log of every remote key press. (That's how they can give reports on "most replayed ad during the Superbowl".) They don't need to force Internet dependence onto searches for that.

This seems more like laziness -- they build in this "cool" feature of searching the Internet, then don't bother to make sure it degrades gracefully in a not-always-on environment.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
hershey4

I think another part of the internet dependence is the list of the other video providers tacked on to the bottom of other lists... netflix, hulu, etc. I think a rep once told me that list is internet dependent to pick up the logos (which should be cached locally I would think).
hershey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey4 View Post
I think another part of the internet dependence is the list of the other video providers tacked on to the bottom of other lists... netflix, hulu, etc. I think a rep once told me that list is internet dependent to pick up the logos (which should be cached locally I would think).
Still should fail gracefully - show the search screen and continue to allow local guide data searches. Just don't show results for the video providers - maybe show a note about troubleshooting connectivity or something instead (bonus points if the note took you to the relevant troubleshooting/networking screen).
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote