TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-29-2014, 11:25 PM   #1
huard

Can copy protected shows be watched outside of network?

I happen to be away from home without a TV and wanted to watch tonight's world series, so I purchased Tivo Desktop Plus at the advice of the Tivo support rep. Once purchased, installed, patched, media access key and license key applied I found that it doesn't find any videos and says it can't find a Tivo on the home network. That leads me to believe that Tivo Desktop Plus only works when on the same home network as the Tivo device - true?

Next, I see that there is a Tivo Android app, so I install that. It does list shows I've recorded and let's me manage recordings, etc. However, whenever I try to watch something it says I can't because it's copy protected and I'm not on the same home network as my Tivo. I can't think of any shows recorded on Tivo that aren't copy protected, so I assume that I can't use the Android app to watch shows either - true?

IOW, using only Tivo apps, there is no way to watch copy-protected shows recorded on my Tivo while I am outside of my home network - true?
huard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:00 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Pretty much true, though out of home streaming is only when you have the Stream, mostly for iOS and android devices. The alternative is to get a slingbox, then you can watch anything including protected ones.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
HerronScott

[quote=huard;10294307] I can't think of any shows recorded on Tivo that aren't copy protected, so I assume that I can't use the Android app to watch shows either - true?
QUOTE]

Shows on your local networks shouldn't be copy protected. Everything else depends on your cable vendor. Comcast generally only copy protects some of the movie channels like HBO and Showtime. I think Time Warner is about the worst and copy protects almost everything.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote