TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
juliandracos

Help getting HTPC Functions on Roamio

I used to use a HTPC. Now, I will need to spend $100-$150 to replace a couple of parts, so instead of that, I thought I would use the Tivo Roamio OTA because it seemed to do what I want. Instead of recording 2 things at once, I can record 4. But, I think I just made a huge mistake buying a Tivo, but before I see if I can return it and cancel my service, I thought I would check here to see if there is anyway to mod the Tivo Roamio OTA to get it to do what I need.

1. I have an Amazon Prime Membership and want to steam the free video content.
2. I want to access Hulu not Hulu Plus. That is I want the free content part of Hulu, not the mostly useless paid part.
3. I want to be able to steam videos from my computer to the Tivo. I prefer not to convert the format from Divix.
4. Have access to Crackle, but this is not a requirement. The first two on the list are pretty much deal breakers.

Are there any hacks that are going to work, or do I need to see if I can cancel Tivo and fix my HTPC?
juliandracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
SullyND
L:27-31

1) not currently possible. The prime interface was accidentally turned on a month or so ago, so they are working on it, but it does not currentlywork.

2) only Hulu + works. I don't believe regular Hulu is supported on any STB devices.

3) there are free apps that do this.

4) no Crackle on TiVo.

Sounds like you should return your OTA.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
tlp95129

It depends on how much extra work you want to do. You can use PlayOn/PlayLater to capture Hulu videos, and then use TiVoDesktopPlus to get them to the TiVo. I'm not sure if this will work with Amazon Prime or not. I don't think DiVX is a supported video format, so conversion would be necessary. Anyone know if TiVoDesktopPlus will do this?
tlp95129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #4
juliandracos

Thanks for the information.

I found this web browser app mentioned mention on this forum. Would that allow me to navigate to a website and watch videos? That is what I would do on a HTPC to stream Amazon. Post count won't let me link to the thread.

I ran across this:://wmcbrine.com/tivo/

It lists it as an alternative to Desktop Plus, but also mentions steaming videos.

According to the official Tivo website, the Desktop Plus program will allow you to stream Divix.
juliandracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
Chris Gerhard

The free Hulu is licensed for PC only so no direct access by TiVo is possible, assuming nobody can figure out a hack which I think is a safe assumption. Perhaps some STB with a web browser that can fool Hulu will work, my Google TV can do it for about 10 minutes before it stops and I get a message Hulu is not available. Like a previous poster mentioned, PlayOn/PlayLater is a good way to access Hulu using a network PC.

PlayOn/PlayLater worked well with Amazon Prime the last time I subscribed, a few months ago, and as far as I know, it still does.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote