TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-29-2015, 12:36 PM   #1
srock258

Romio OTA and Romio cable working together

Right now I have a Romio OTA upstairs connected to an Antenna in the attic for HD OTA channels.

I just found out I get basic cable for free with my HOA. No cable card needed, my TV can tune the channels with no cable box or card, that is tested and working.

If I put a Romio downstairs connected to the basic cable, can that Romio also stream HD content recorded on the OTA upstairs? Do shows recorded on the OTA appear in My Shows or do I have to do something else to access shows on the OTA?

Do I need to pay the monthly service fee for both Tivo's?

Is there any other way to stream the HD content from the Romio OTA to the downstairs TV?

srock258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:35 PM   #2
Mikeguy

Yep, you can stream between two Roamios. A second Roamio will need its own subscription.

One thing you could do would be to get a TiVo Mini instead, which also needs a subscription service but which currently comes with it in the product price (this could change it the future, as this is a "current offer" with an upcoming expiration date, the last time I checked)--the pricing, then, being significantly lower than getting another TiVo Roamio with subscription. Note that the Mini will use one of the tuners in your Roamio.

Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:48 PM   #3
srock258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeguy View Post
Yep, you can stream between two Roamios. A second Roamio will need its own subscription.

One thing you could do would be to get a TiVo Mini instead, which also needs a subscription service but which currently comes with it in the product price (this could change it the future, as this is a "current offer" with an upcoming expiration date, the last time I checked)--the pricing, then, being significantly lower than getting another TiVo Roamio with subscription. Note that the Mini will use one of the tuners in your Roamio.
Can I plug cable TV into the mini? That's not how I understand them to work. I do want to get the basic cable package downstairs and there isn't a way for the Romio OTA to get that. Also, the mini isn't wifi right? one of my issues is the downstairs wire is old r59 so MoCa isn't the best connection.

I think I need two Romio's, one to record OTA, and another to record cable. So long as they can stream recorded content between themselves, that will work for me.

$30 a month for basic cable and OTA HD is a little steep, but its far cheaper then what I'm paying now for the full cable package.

srock258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
b-ball-fanatic

Yeah, you would need another cable-capable Tivo. With an active subscription.

If you don't want to spend on a new Roamio, you could pick up a Premiere with Lifetime at reasonable cost.

b-ball-fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:03 PM   #5
joblo

Quote:
Originally Posted by srock258 View Post
I get basic cable for free with my HOA. No cable card needed, my TV can tune the channels with no cable box or card, that is tested and working.

If I put a Romio downstairs connected to the basic cable
If you don't need a card, your service is either analog or clearQAM. My understanding is that Roamios cannot tune analog, and while they can tune clearQAM, TiVo does not provide guide data for clearQAM channels, so you would be limited to manual recordings only.

That's assuming you can get the thing into service without a card. An XL4 you definitely can, and I would assume the cable only Roamios work the same way, but the basic might force you into OTA mode w/out a card; can't remember now.

You should run GS on your current machine to verify you can set it up for cable without a card BEFORE you spend any money. (On an XL4 the way to do it is to tell it you’ll get a cable card later and proceed with GS.)

joblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #6
joblo

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-ball-fanatic View Post
Premiere with Lifetime at reasonable cost.
2-tuner premiere is definitely the way to go if you need to tune analog.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:25 PM   #7
Mikeguy

Sorry (and my apologies), my bad--I forgot that your upstairs Roamio is a Roamio OTA and therefore doesn't have a cable connection; too bad that it's not the Roamio standard, which can connect to cable (but even then, not to OTA simultaneously).

If you go for another new Roamio, be sure to get the subscription pricing for a multi-set discount, which will help on the pricing. And you might want to consider a lifetime subscription--see discount pricing available through the infamous spherular offer, with a low end price for the Roamio standard with lifetime for $449.99 plus eBay auction amount:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=516044

Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #8
joblo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeguy View Post
Sorry (and my apologies), my bad--I forgot that your upstairs Roamio is a Roamio OTA
Likewise... guess that rules out verifying the cable performance with your current machine.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:14 PM   #9
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by srock258 View Post
Right now I have a Romio OTA upstairs connected to an Antenna in the attic for HD OTA channels. I just found out I get basic cable for free with my HOA. No cable card needed, my TV can tune the channels with no cable box or card, that is tested and working. If I put a Romio downstairs connected to the basic cable, can that Romio also stream HD content recorded on the OTA upstairs? Do shows recorded on the OTA appear in My Shows or do I have to do something else to access shows on the OTA? Do I need to pay the monthly service fee for both Tivo's? Is there any other way to stream the HD content from the Romio OTA to the downstairs TV?
The Roamio OTA will work with cable if you happen to have a cable system that uses a Tuning Adapter for SDV. All you have to do is talk them into giving you one and then plug it into your Roamio OTA via USB during guided setup and it will pop up a menu asking if you want to setup for cable or antenna. Of course select cable at this point. The TA will remap your channels to their proper places in the TiVo guide for normal operations as well.

Just tell your cable co that you have a TiVo and need one for proper channel mapping. At worst they may say you have to have a Cablecard too, but if they do just stay mum, take the card and TA and when you get home only install the TA as instructed above. Keep the Cablecard in case you need it later.

If you get this working then you can use the cable signal for your network channels that you were used to getting via OTA antenna and then get a mini as suggested for your upstairs TV where you initially had the OTA unit.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote