TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!
 
dmk1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cary, IL
Posts: 522
Lifetime for $399 - can I buy from Best Buy or Amazon?

I have 2 Premiere 4's and 2 Mini's (all with Lifetime service on them) and am looking into getting a Roamio Plus. If I were to buy the Roamio from Best Buy or Amazon, can I still get the $399 Lifetime pricing? Or am I required to buy the box directly from TiVo to get that price? Thanks!
__________________

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
HarperVision
Registered User
 
HarperVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post
I have 2 Premiere 4's and 2 Mini's (all with Lifetime service on them) and am looking into getting a Roamio Plus. If I were to buy the Roamio from Best Buy or Amazon, can I still get the $399 Lifetime pricing? Or am I required to buy the box directly from TiVo to get that price? Thanks!
Yes you can buy from BB or Amazon. When you activate them online at TiVo just put in the "PLSR" discount code for the $399 pricing.
__________________
Dave Harper
Director, Event Technology
ISF, CTS
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Bwatford141
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 84
Agreed, I bought mine from BB and was not eligible for the multi service discount when I called tivo. I then went online and used the promo code PLSR to get lifetime for $399.
Bwatford141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
frombhto323
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 318
A Tivo CSR told me that it is not about where you buy it (as long as it's an authorized dealer), but about the status of your account and whether or not you are eligible for the discount.
__________________
"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." — George Orwell
frombhto323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwatford141 View Post
Agreed, I bought mine from BB and was not eligible for the multi service discount when I called tivo. I then went online and used the promo code PLSR to get lifetime for $399.
Even if you are eligible for MSD pricing you should always use the PLSR code. Since those TiVos can still be used as a qualifier for MSD pricing. While a TiVo that purchased lifetime with MSD pricing is not a qualifier for other TiVos..
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!
 
dmk1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cary, IL
Posts: 522
Thank you for the info!

Also, I am thinking of getting my Dad the 4-tuner Roamio for Christmas. Can I buy the lifetime for $399 and then transfer the entire box to a new account for him? He's going to use it with an OTA antenna so unfortunately I can't just pass my Premiere 4 box to him.
__________________

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post
Thank you for the info!

Also, I am thinking of getting my Dad the 4-tuner Roamio for Christmas. Can I buy the lifetime for $399 and then transfer the entire box to a new account for him?
Yes. Once the Tivo has the lifetime subscription, you are free to do with it as you please.
Only drawback would be whether or not your dad would be eligible for future MSD purchases.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
HarperVision
Registered User
 
HarperVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post
Thank you for the info! Also, I am thinking of getting my Dad the 4-tuner Roamio for Christmas. Can I buy the lifetime for $399 and then transfer the entire box to a new account for him? He's going to use it with an OTA antenna so unfortunately I can't just pass my Premiere 4 box to him.
You're better off buying the Roamio and creating his own account then using the PLSR code on his as well.
__________________
Dave Harper
Director, Event Technology
ISF, CTS
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!
 
dmk1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cary, IL
Posts: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
You're better off buying the Roamio and creating his own account then using the PLSR code on his as well.
Would I be able to use that PLSR code even if he, at this moment, does not have a TiVo account?
__________________

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
WRX09MD
Registered User
 
WRX09MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Yes you can buy from BB or Amazon. When you activate them online at TiVo just put in the "PLSR" discount code for the $399 pricing.
Is that code still working? I just tried it signed in and out of tivo.com and it didnt work.
__________________
Go Ravens!
Roamio Pro 2TB x 2
Mini x 2
Slide x 2
Slide Pro x 2
Verizon Fios
WRX09MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #11
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut
 
ThreeSoFar'sBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 1,443
I have a lifetimed Premiere. If I get a Roamio and get the discounted lifetime due to this, do I lose the lifetime on the Premiere?
ThreeSoFar'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:30 AM   #12
Mr. Toad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX09MD View Post
Is that code still working? I just tried it signed in and out of tivo.com and it didnt work.
It worked for me on 11/21/13. I purchased a unit from abt.com.
Mr. Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #13
mrizzo80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar'sBro View Post
I have a lifetimed Premiere. If I get a Roamio and get the discounted lifetime due to this, do I lose the lifetime on the Premiere?
No. Your Premiere box will retain its lifetime service.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #14
flar
Registered User
 
flar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Even if you are eligible for MSD pricing you should always use the PLSR code. Since those TiVos can still be used as a qualifier for MSD pricing. While a TiVo that purchased lifetime with MSD pricing is not a qualifier for other TiVos..
Where is this mentioned? In the terms for MSD it simply says that a prior lifetime TiVo must have connected within the last 180 days.

http://www.tivo.com/legal/terms
__________________
TiVo Roamio Pro, lifetime
TiVo Mini, lifetime
selling TiVo Premiere XL, lifetime
selling TiVo Series 3, WD10EVCS, lifetime from Series 2
retired TiVo Series 2, 80 hour
flar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #15
jhirsche
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 14
Used the code to purchase lifetime on a new roamio basic Friday night. Worked fine, but $399 lifetime price was offered without code too. Migrating from a premiere Xl with lifetime... Anyone interested in that unit? Shouldn't have much trouble moving it on eBay...
jhirsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Where is this mentioned? In the terms for MSD it simply says that a prior lifetime TiVo must have connected within the last 180 days.

http://www.tivo.com/legal/terms
This is based on what I've been told. I've been told by multiple CSRs in the past that the only box I had that was not a MSD qualifier was my $6.95 monthly box. All the other lifetime boxes were qualifiers and they had lifetime purchased with the PSLR code or from other means like the Premiere launch.

Although now that I switched that $6.95 Premiere to a Roamio Basic and got $99 lifetime on the Premiere, I don't expect that lifetime Premiere to be a qualifier for MSD like my other lifetime boxes are.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #17
celtic pride
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 290
I dont remember using the plsr code i paid $499.99 lifetime for 1st premiere and the second premiere i bought on the same day they charged me $399.99 for lifetime. But i bought them from a tivo csr over the telephone.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #18
Coffee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar'sBro View Post
I have a lifetimed Premiere. If I get a Roamio and get the discounted lifetime due to this, do I lose the lifetime on the Premiere?
A service that you purchase applies to only one box at a time. A lifetime service can't be transferred to another unit. You can, however, sell the unit and the lifetime service. The lifetime service will follow the unit. You can use that money to help you buy the service on your next one.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #19
flar
Registered User
 
flar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
This is based on what I've been told. I've been told by multiple CSRs in the past that the only box I had that was not a MSD qualifier was my $6.95 monthly box. All the other lifetime boxes were qualifiers and they had lifetime purchased with the PSLR code or from other means like the Premiere launch.

Although now that I switched that $6.95 Premiere to a Roamio Basic and got $99 lifetime on the Premiere, I don't expect that lifetime Premiere to be a qualifier for MSD like my other lifetime boxes are.
Not having any boxes that weren't purchased with the code doesn't mean that the code was required. The $6.95 monthly box didn't qualify because it wasn't a full-price subscription. At least one box on the account needs to be "full price" for the rest to get the discount.

The only wording about eligibility refers to either the lifetime, saying it has to have dialed in within 180 days, or a full-price subscription box, that if it disappears then the oldest subscription box loses the MSD and starts paying the full monthly fee. There is no text there that mentions anything about an MSD lifetime being charged any more money or being disqualified from enabling MSD on future boxes other than if it stops dialing in.
__________________
TiVo Roamio Pro, lifetime
TiVo Mini, lifetime
selling TiVo Premiere XL, lifetime
selling TiVo Series 3, WD10EVCS, lifetime from Series 2
retired TiVo Series 2, 80 hour
flar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #20
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Not having any boxes that weren't purchased with the code doesn't mean that the code was required. The $6.95 monthly box didn't qualify because it wasn't a full-price subscription. At least one box on the account needs to be "full price" for the rest to get the discount.

The only wording about eligibility refers to either the lifetime, saying it has to have dialed in within 180 days, or a full-price subscription box, that if it disappears then the oldest subscription box loses the MSD and starts paying the full monthly fee. There is no text there that mentions anything about an MSD lifetime being charged any more money or being disqualified from enabling MSD on future boxes other than if it stops dialing in.

Here is the user agreement

https://www.tivo.com/legal/terms

It mentions a full price subscription.


Quote:
Multi-Service Discount
We offer discounted TiVo service fees when you have more than one TiVo DVR on the same account. Call customer service at 1-877-367-8486 or log into your account on tivo.com for current offers.

Some restrictions that apply to the multi-service discount:

it applies to a maximum number of 5 TiVo DVRs,
it only applies to new TiVo service subscriptions added to your account (so your oldest subscription will always be at full price),
to be eligible, all TiVo DVRs must be registered to the same TiVo customer account,
if your full price subscription is cancelled or otherwise becomes ineligible, the oldest eligible TiVo service subscription on your account will become your new qualifying full price subscription (and will no longer receive the multi-service discount), and
for a Product Lifetime subscription to qualify you for the multi-service discount, the TiVo DVR to which it is attached must have connected to the TiVo service within the last 180 days.

__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:41 AM   #21
flar
Registered User
 
flar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Here is the user agreement

https://www.tivo.com/legal/terms

It mentions a full price subscription.
I posted that same URL above and have been referring to that same paragraph in all of my replies as well. I read it a bit differently than you do.

Is there anybody with any corroborating evidence of having been turned down for MSD lifetime because the other boxes on the account were also MSD lifetime (even if they've dialed in within 180 days)?

The reason I ask is that I've never used the code you mention on any of my boxes and yet I continue to receive MSD pricing on lifetime subscriptions. From my experience, the code that you assert is required, does not actually seem to be required.

And, with respect to your explanation, even if all of your boxes were purchased with the code and all of them qualify, that does not prove that the code is required for qualifying. At best it indicates that the code is compatible with them qualifying, but the actual sufficiency requirement may be unrelated. I believe, from reading those terms, and from my own experience, that having a lifetime subscription (on an active box) would be sufficient and the last line of the terms governs their qualification - mentioning that the only condition is that they must have dialed in within 180 days and mentioning no condition based on how you obtained the lifetime subscription.
__________________
TiVo Roamio Pro, lifetime
TiVo Mini, lifetime
selling TiVo Premiere XL, lifetime
selling TiVo Series 3, WD10EVCS, lifetime from Series 2
retired TiVo Series 2, 80 hour
flar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #22
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I posted that same URL above and have been referring to that same paragraph in all of my replies as well. I read it a bit differently than you do.

Is there anybody with any corroborating evidence of having been turned down for MSD lifetime because the other boxes on the account were also MSD lifetime (even if they've dialed in within 180 days)?

The reason I ask is that I've never used the code you mention on any of my boxes and yet I continue to receive MSD pricing on lifetime subscriptions. From my experience, the code that you assert is required, does not actually seem to be required.

And, with respect to your explanation, even if all of your boxes were purchased with the code and all of them qualify, that does not prove that the code is required for qualifying. At best it indicates that the code is compatible with them qualifying, but the actual sufficiency requirement may be unrelated. I believe, from reading those terms, and from my own experience, that having a lifetime subscription (on an active box) would be sufficient and the last line of the terms governs their qualification - mentioning that the only condition is that they must have dialed in within 180 days and mentioning no condition based on how you obtained the lifetime subscription.
I can only go by what multiple CSRs have told me over the years. I certainly don't want to test it out. But I've owned close to thirty TiVos during the last ten years. Except when I was with DirecTV, I've always had a lifetime qualifier on my account when lifetime was available.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #23
lessd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 5,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by frombhto323 View Post
A Tivo CSR told me that it is not about where you buy it (as long as it's an authorized dealer), but about the status of your account and whether or not you are eligible for the discount.
What do you mean by "as long as it's an authorized dealer" ? When you go to activate a TiVo on the web sight TiVo does not ask you where you made the purchase of the TiVo your activating, if TiVo only sells to authorized dealers and some TiVos leak out to non authorized dealers how would TiVo know (or care)?
__________________
Les Daniels

_____________________________________________
3 Roamio Plus upgraded to 2Tb & 3Tb, and 2 Minis, Also 1 not used Humax Series 2 with a DVD burner
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:50 AM   #24
Devx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Is there anybody with any corroborating evidence of having been turned down for MSD lifetime because the other boxes on the account were also MSD lifetime (even if they've dialed in within 180 days)?

And, with respect to your explanation, even if all of your boxes were purchased with the code and all of them qualify, that does not prove that the code is required for qualifying. At best it indicates that the code is compatible with them qualifying, but the actual sufficiency requirement may be unrelated. I believe, from reading those terms, and from my own experience, that having a lifetime subscription (on an active box) would be sufficient and the last line of the terms governs their qualification - mentioning that the only condition is that they must have dialed in within 180 days and mentioning no condition based on how you obtained the lifetime subscription.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I can only go by what multiple CSRs have told me over the years. I certainly don't want to test it out. But I've owned close to thirty TiVos during the last ten years. Except when I was with DirecTV, I've always had a lifetime qualifier on my account when lifetime was available.
A bit of anecdotal evidence to add here. When I called Tivo a few months ago to ask a few questions I inquired about my account as well. I was told the lifetime S2 on my account previously qualified me for MSD but does not any longer as its been longer than 180 days since the service has seen the box. There was also a mention that a full price subscription only qualifies a certain number of Tivos (I forgot how many) for MSD and then a new full price subscription is required to obtain MSD on additional Tivos. The Tivo HDs on my account also do not qualify me, as they were purchased with lifetime MSD (this was from the CSR). However my new Pro does qualify me (I used the PLSR code on this one) for MSD on new Tivos. As Aaron suggested, I used the code again on my Plus since it otherwise didn't make sense to sabotage or back myself into a corner in the future should the Pro fail.

I posted about it a while back.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...20#post9803220

The question here then is, if the Tivo with the full price lifetime sub was sold or went 6 months w/o connection, would a new Tivo qualify for MSD if all the other Tivos on the account were purchased with MSD lifetime subs? Based on what the CSR told me, that answer would be no, and the code would be required to receive the discount lifetime price.

Most are probably aware of CSR roulette and it's possible my CSR was incorrect and completely off base but she was spot on about everything else while reviewing my account.
__________________
Roamio Pro
Roamio Plus (3TB)
Premiere Elite/XL4
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |