TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
gbruyn

Slow IN-HOME Transfer Speeds after Update

Ever since the Tivo app update my IN-HOME transfer speeds have been very slow! Did the new Tivo app change the way the downloading goes for the in-home streaming? It seems like I use to be able to transfer a movie in 20-30 minutes. Now it takes double that.

Anyone else notice their transfers IN-HOME slower?
Old 10-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
lickwid

Yes, since the last update, I believe, the time it takes to transfer a 30-minute TV show at Best quality takes about 35 minutes now. It used to take roughly 17 minutes.

The funny thing is when I go to download a show to my iPhone 5s, it shows 17 minutes, but once it starts, the timer jumps to 35 minutes. It was fine before the latest update that included OOH Streaming as an "Easter Egg".
lickwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
moyekj

Maybe the encoding quality level (bit rates) went up? Have you noticed the resulting file sizes being much bigger than they used to be?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
gbruyn

No. Same file size.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Yeah, I noticed that last night as well.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
moyekj

Perhaps what TiVo did to support OOH streams/downloads is throttle the transfers to keep speeds < ~ 2.2 Mbps total. i.e. Maybe it's not adaptive streaming, but rather 3 fixed rate transfers according to quality you select, and it's the same transfer rates in or out of home. Lame if that is indeed the case...

Old 10-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
lickwid

The app is really weird. I'll have to test again when I get home or when I have time. For example, I am trying to download a 30 min. TV show. I choose Best Quality, which show 559MB. Once it starts downloading, it jumps down to 273MB and 9:30 minutes or so. Eventually, it'll jump to 573MB and 35 minutes or so.

This was over Verizon LTE.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
Devx

Just did an in home download test. Speed appears to be comparable to before the update. 30 min HD show, Best quality, took just under 12 min for 537MB or about 5.96 Mbps. Definitely higher than the 2.2 Mbps streaming rate Tivo claims for best OOH streaming.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:08 AM   #9
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
Just did an in home download test. Speed appears to be comparable to before the update. 30 min HD show, Best quality, took just under 12 min for 537MB or about 5.96 Mbps. Definitely higher than the 2.2 Mbps streaming rate Tivo claims for best OOH streaming.
That's good to see.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:07 AM   #10
lickwid

Tested again at home and it's about the speeds Devx experienced. However, I still experience the same issue with the size of the file changing as it downloads. The initial size before download shows 559MB, then goes down to 273MB or so, then jumps up to 570MB. I don't know what causes this, or if it depends on speed.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #11
bellbm

I do a lot of in home streaming to my ipad (I Have the standalone stream), and ever since updating the ap, when I'm streaming, the show will stop every minute or so, pause for a second or two, and then start again.
NEVER had any problems like this before.
I hope they haven't throttled the transfer speeds. This is really annyoing!
bellbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
NYHeel

I've always found in home transfers to be about twice as long as the app initially estimates, but I haven't tried it since the new update. For a one hour show at lower quality (back when there was only 2), the app would always estimate 9 minutes but the transfer would actually take about 18-20 minutes. I've never been able to get the speeds that the app claims.

I'm on a 25/25 Fios internet plan and I actually get those speeds. My Tivo is hardwired and my wireless to my iPad is pretty solid, usually at least 20+ mbps based on speedtest.net.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
gbruyn

I just transferred an hour long show (~1GB) and it took about 30 minutes. That works out to around 4.7Mbps. Pretty slow if you ask me. My iPad is connected to the router via Wireless-N (and is right next to the router). This definitely is slower than is used to be.

When transferring via kmttg (which obviously isn't trans-coding real-time) the speed is just under 100Mbps.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
Time_Lord

I too see about 3 to 4Mb/s rate when transferring video's to an iPad (mini) over an 802.11g network (with excellent signal strength)

glad to hear I'm not alone in these lousy speeds

-TL
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Perhaps what TiVo did to support OOH streams/downloads is throttle the transfers to keep speeds < ~ 2.2 Mbps total. i.e. Maybe it's not adaptive streaming, but rather 3 fixed rate transfers according to quality you select, and it's the same transfer rates in or out of home. Lame if that is indeed the case...
That was my hunch as well. Hopefully it is just a crude placeholder until they figure out a better solution.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
gbruyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_Lord View Post
I too see about 3 to 4Mb/s rate when transferring video's to an iPad (mini) over an 802.11g network (with excellent signal strength)

glad to hear I'm not alone in these lousy speeds

-TL
I'm guessing you mean Mbps (MegaBits per second)... not MB/s (megabytes per sec). 3-4 MB/s would be a great improvement as I'm getting less than 1 MB/sec

Last edited by gbruyn : 11-04-2013 at 02:16 PM.
gbruyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #17
moyekj

I have an iPad Air arriving Friday so will be testing in home streaming and transfers over the weekend to see how it goes. For longest time I was waiting for Android support, but at this point who knows when that will happen anymore, and there will no doubt be early bugs to contend with if/when it does happen.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
nbromber

Just got my NEW iPad Air...

Download speeds are still painfully slow. Took over 30 minutes for 60 mins of video on the lowest quality. Roamio is hardwired to the router and I have Fios 150/65...

Hmmm...
nbromber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #19
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbromber View Post
Download speeds are still painfully slow. Took over 30 minutes for 60 mins of video on the lowest quality. Roamio is hardwired to the router and I have Fios 150/65...

Hmmm...
In home or out of home transfer?

I suppose another possibility for slowing things down is perhaps to try and minimize heat generation during encoding. If TiVo slows down encoding it could help keep heat generation down. It would be interesting for someone with a standalone stream that hasn't gotten the software update yet to compare vs Roamio Stream.
That way we can also find out perhaps if the speed throttling is part of iOS app or the Stream firmware.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #20
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
But what's the speed of your WiFi? b? g? n? ac?

How many devices were connected to the WiFi when you did the download? I don't have any ac experience yet…but each connected device on b/g/n slows down the network for everyone.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #21
Time_Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruyn View Post
I'm guessing you mean Mbps (MegaBits per second)... not MB/s (megabytes per sec). 3-4 MB/s would be a great improvement as I'm getting less than 1 MB/sec
isn't that what I said? Mb/s = Megabits per second
MB/s = Megabytes per second
Old 11-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #22
Time_Lord

Quote:

Hmmm...
even 802.11b should give you a streaming speed of at least 6Mb/s certainly faster than what you are seeing.

By chance did you enable the WiFi on the TiVO at any point and then later move it to an ethernet connection?

-TL
Old 11-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #23
lickwid

Quote:

Hmmm...
That seems way too slow. It takes me about 35 minutes to transfer an hour of video on the highest quality, which isn't terrible, but not great. I have my TiVo hardwired to my AC1750 router. I'm streaming to my iPhone 5s. Will test again with my iPad Air once I pick it up this weekend.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #24
gbruyn

Quote:
even 802.11b should give you a streaming speed of at least 6Mb/s certainly faster than what you are seeing.

By chance did you enable the WiFi on the TiVO at any point and then later move it to an ethernet connection?

-TL
Yes. I think I did have it hooked up to wifi initially... Why?
Old 11-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #25
Time_Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruyn View Post
Yes. I think I did have it hooked up to wifi initially... Why?
You need to "break" the WiFi configuration otherwise the TiVO goes back and forth between WiFi and Ethernet causing painfully slow speeds and possibly disconnects.

See these threads:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=510858
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=510785

Basically unplug your ethernet connection, go to the WiFi configuration screen and set some invalid SSID/password combination, then reconnect your ethernet. That should improve things for you.

-TL
Old 11-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #26
gbruyn

Quote:
You need to "break" the WiFi configuration otherwise the TiVO goes back and forth between WiFi and Ethernet causing painfully slow speeds and possibly disconnects.

See these threads:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=510858
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=510785

Basically unplug your ethernet connection, go to the WiFi configuration screen and set some invalid SSID/password combination, then reconnect your ethernet. That should improve things for you.

-TL
On second thought I was thinking about MoCa and not wireless. I double checked my router to see if the Tivo was trying to connect via wireless and it wasn't. So I don't think that is the problem.

The issue is with the software update. Maybe they limited the speed of the built in stream for heat issues --- like the previous posted said. Nothing else explains why it was fine and then it slowed down after the updated Tivo firmware and update Tivo app software.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #27
gbruyn

P.S. Tivo just updated the iOS app and cited "Bug Fixes"... so maybe it'll be better? I'm away so I can't test it right now.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #28
Dan203
Super Moderator

FYI I still have my standalone Stream so I ran a test. I transferred the same show to the same iPad using the Best quality, which listed 577MB for both devices. (I know the Stream doesn't have the new software because it only offered 2 qualities and the Roamio had 3)

Anyway the Roamio took 13 minutes and the standalone Stream only took 10. So it seems that the Roamio is a bit slower. Although I never ran this test before the update, so it could be that the Roamio has always been a bit slower. (i.e. maybe they underclock the chip a little to reduce heat in the Roamio case)

However now that I have numbers I'll run the test again once the standalone Stream gets the OOH update and see if it slows down to match the Roamio or not.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #29
Dan203
Super Moderator

Just got the OOH update on my standalone Stream so I reran the test and sure enough the exact same file now takes 13 minutes through the standalone Stream too. So it's definitely the software on the stream itself causing the slow down.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #30
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Just got the OOH update on my standalone Stream so I reran the test and sure enough the exact same file now takes 13 minutes through the standalone Stream too. So it's definitely the software on the stream itself causing the slow down.
OK, thanks for confirming. I wonder if it is related to OOH streaming at all or if it was done intentionally to reduce power consumption and thus heat? I seem to recall some Stream related heat issues in the past (both standalone and integrated into Roamio).