TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
pgoelz

Slide remote backlight issue

Anyone else find that the ambient light sensor in the Slide Remote is WAY too sensitive? Ours does not illuminate in anything other than a near pitch dark room. Even the glow from a laptop screen a foot or two away is enough to inhibit the backlight. This renders the backlight feature pretty useless in all but the darkest situations.

I called support and they are sending me another remote, but I was not able to determine over the phone whether this behavior is normal or not.

What would help would be if there was a way to inhibit the light sensor. I did some experimentation and it seems the sensor looks through the Tivo button, so putting a piece of tape over it won't work.

I would simply pull it apart and disable the sensor but it looks like taking the top half apart might damage the case and it is brand new......

Paul
pgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

I'm glad you mentioned this. I just checked my four Pro Remotes and one of them behaves like yours. It needs to be dark in the room for the backlight to come on. While the other remotes can have the lamp on the low setting and the backlight will still come on. I guess I will need to get Tivo to exchange it. I already changed out the batteries to rule that out. So something must be messed up with the sensor.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
pgoelz

Thanks for that. Sounds like there is at least the possibility that the replacement will behave more reasonably.

As an aside, there was one interesting thing that came up in the conversation I had with support. At one point, he talked about putting in a feature request to allow the ambient light sensor to be disabled. He implied that the remote firmware was capable of being updated from the Roamio. I wonder if that is true.... the remote does seem to have two way comms with the Roamio.

Paul
pgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

All the Roamio RF remotes, even the basic one is capable of a firmware update via the Roamio DVR.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
jrock

My slide remote is the same. The light only comes on in total darkness.
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote