TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
pkb

6 Tuner M-Card

Does anyone know how to acquire a 6-Tuner M-Card? My cable provider (Cox Cable of Hampton Roads) only has M-Cards that provide 2 tuners. After talking with TIVO support, who determined that my M-Card did not have the proper upgraded firmware. I have been to two of their 'solution' cards and even waited an hour to get to talk to the techie M-Card dude at Cox. They are clueless about any M-Card in excess of 2 tuners (however, they have a new Cox-labeled DVR that does 6 tuners...). So I am looking for another M-Card provider. Can anyone help?
pkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

They are required by law to support at least 4 tuners. They're only required to support 6 tuners if they offer a 6 tuner DVR of their own.

Unfortunately you can't just buy an M-Card. You have to get one from your cable company. If they can't give you one then all you can do is complaint to the FCC and the local franchise authority.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
pkb

OK-- how do I contact the FCC?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
innocentfreak

fcc.gov/complaints

There is a specific section for CableCARDs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
pkb

Thanks. I will post here on how it goes. Give me a few days....
Old 09-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Cox is very uniform from market to market, and Hampton Roads is a Motorola market, and Cox does provide Motorola M-Cards capable of supporting 6 tuners.

Just ask moyekj, he lives in a Cox Motorola market and has a 6 Tuner Roamio Plus, ask him what his CableCARD is, and the Firmware Version.

Here is what moyekj reported as his Firmware:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Status page for me shows FW* 6.25 and there are no numbers for "FW".
I will reach out to a few contacts in VA and see what I can come up with.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 09-06-2013 at 09:20 PM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
sheisler28

Angry

I am in the Omaha area and I am having the same issue. I received my Roamio on Thursday but the 3 Cable Cards that my Cox Cable provider has provided me have not worked. They claim all they have are 2 tuner cards. They are sending a technician to my house on Monday. They do offer a 6 tuner DVR (Contour) to our area though so not sure how they can claim they only offer a 2 tuner cable card if that law is accurate? I HATE Cox Communications!
sheisler28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

This was posted by Margret regarding Verizon FiOS Motorola CableCARDs not sure if it applys to Cox Motorola, but worth looking into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Take the FiOS CableCARD out of the Roamio, and look at the part number on the back, above the bar code.

If that number is either one of these:
514517-002-00 (MCPOD1)
514517-006-00 (MCPOD2)
we think you'll experience a problem.

We believe CableCARDs with this number:
514517-017-00 (MCPOD3)
will work correctly.

If you have an MCPOD1 or MCPOD2 card, call Verizon and ask them to swap your card for an MCPOD3 card.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 09-08-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
sheisler28

We had the Cox technician come out tonight after 3 failed card attempts. He was here for 2.5 hours. Signal to line is strong so no issue there. He tried 2 of the 017 cable cards and no go with either! His theory is that COX does not have a system upgrade on its cards that Tivo needed to provide when they switched to the 6 tuner models. He basically left and said we were out of luck. Nothing more they can do for us.

Is anyone having luck with Cox and the 6 tuner models?
sheisler28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
mdscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheisler28 View Post
We had the Cox technician come out tonight after 3 failed card attempts. He was here for 2.5 hours. Signal to line is strong so no issue there. He tried 2 of the 017 cable cards and no go with either! His theory is that COX does not have a system upgrade on its cards that Tivo needed to provide when they switched to the 6 tuner models. He basically left and said we were out of luck. Nothing more they can do for us.
Pass this information to Margret Schmidt, TiVo's chief Design Officer, "@tivodesign" (twitter) or "margret@tivo.com"

It is important to her in getting cable co's educated. {mat be able tyo help you as well)

michael
Old 09-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
mxfanatic

6 tuners and TA working fine on COX San Diego for my brother.
mxfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #12
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkb View Post
Does anyone know how to acquire a 6-Tuner M-Card? My cable provider (Cox Cable of Hampton Roads) only has M-Cards that provide 2 tuners.
Hey, I'm in Virginia Beach (Kempsville area), and I've been using a 4-tuner TiVo Premiere XL 4 since March with no problems.

I had a Roamio Pro for three nights (before it died), and there were a few times where 5 and 6 channels were being used at the same time.

The problem I had with the Roamio Pro was being unable to pair the cable card. This meant it was unable to tune HBO/Showtime, but everything else worked OK. I had an appointment scheduled for them to come look, but the Roamio Pro died earlier that day, so I cancelled.

I'm back to using my 4-tuner XL 4, which uses 4 tuners almost every night. My replacement Roamio will be here on Wednesday night, so we'll see how that goes again.

Unless you have Verizon FIOS in your area, there's really no other provider of cable cards.
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #13
aristoBrat

I just checked my Cable Card, and its Part Number is 514517-017-00, which is listed as the one that should work.

Under the status screen, it also shows:
FW* 06.25- -/-/- -:-:-
FW -.- - -/-/- -:-:-
Old 09-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoBrat View Post
I just checked my Cable Card, and its Part Number is 514517-017-00, which is listed as the one that should work.

That is a card and firmware confirmed to work.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheisler28 View Post
I am in the Omaha area and I am having the same issue. I received my Roamio on Thursday but the 3 Cable Cards that my Cox Cable provider has provided me have not worked. They claim all they have are 2 tuner cards. They are sending a technician to my house on Monday. They do offer a 6 tuner DVR (Contour) to our area though so not sure how they can claim they only offer a 2 tuner cable card if that law is accurate? I HATE Cox Communications!
Well that's BS. I have Cox in Omaha and all 4 tuners of my Premiere 4 have been working fine since I bought it in January. So their cable cards support at least 4 tuners.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #16
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That is a card and firmware confirmed to work.
Ha, that's my luck. Have the right cable card from the start, but then my Roamio Pro dies. heh

Got the replacement Roamio like an hour ago, will see if Cox has any more luck pairing them.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #17
severe

Incidentally, my Roamio Plus has been pulling 5 tuners from a Scientific Atlanta PKM800 card. I'd initially had 4 tuners working, but after a reboot got the 5th working.

Not too much of an issue, considering I'd gotten used to 2 tuners for years. However, anyone have a suggestion on getting the 6th tuner working?
severe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe View Post
Incidentally, my Roamio Plus has been pulling 5 tuners from a Scientific Atlanta PKM800 card. I'd initially had 4 tuners working, but after a reboot got the 5th working.

Not too much of an issue, considering I'd gotten used to 2 tuners for years. However, anyone have a suggestion on getting the 6th tuner working?
You probably need to read the other threads about problems with some Cable Cards not tuning more than 4 (or in your case 5) streams.

This could be a known issue or you could have hit a known one.

If it's not a "known" problem then you will probably have to hit TiVo support up with it and find out if you need to swap your CC for a model/FW known to work.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #19
severe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
If it's not a "known" problem...
Thanks.
severe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
aristoBrat

Quote:

Just in case this helps anyone else, ... Cox was repeatedly unable to pair the above cable card in my Roamio. Was on the phone with them for about an hour. The exact same card works perfectly fine in the Premiere XL 4 that the Roamio is replacing.

Talking with TiVo, it turns out the cable signal was too strong for the Roamio. The Premiere had no problem with it.

In Settings & Messages > Account & System Info > DVR Diagnostics, the Roamio showed Signal Strengths of all 100 and SNRs of all 44 dB. TiVo said the SNR should be between 34 and 38 dB. I unscrewed the coax going into the back of the Roami, attached an old 4-way splitter that I had, and then another short coax cable from that splitter to the Pro.

Adding the splitter dropped the Signal Strengths down to 85-95 and the SNRs down to 33-38 dB. Cox then re-sent the pairing signal, and it went through. w00t!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #21
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Interesting, these Roamio Pros seem to have a substantial signal amp built-in that changes the norms we are expecting to see.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #22
WRX09MD

Quote:
Just in case this helps anyone else, ... Cox was repeatedly unable to pair the above cable card in my Roamio. Was on the phone with them for about an hour. The exact same card works perfectly fine in the Premiere XL 4 that the Roamio is replacing.

Talking with TiVo, it turns out the cable signal was too strong for the Roamio. The Premiere had no problem with it.

In Settings & Messages > Account & System Info > DVR Diagnostics, the Roamio showed Signal Strengths of all 100 and SNRs of all 44 dB. TiVo said the SNR should be between 34 and 38 dB. I unscrewed the coax going into the back of the Roami, attached an old 4-way splitter that I had, and then another short coax cable from that splitter to the Pro.

Adding the splitter dropped the Signal Strengths down to 85-95 and the SNRs down to 33-38 dB. Cox then re-sent the pairing signal, and it went through. w00t!
Is it bad to have your signal reading 100 and SNR 42 all of the time? Should I drop it some if Im not having any issues with anything?
Slide x 2
Slide Pro x 2
Verizon Fios
WRX09MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #23
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX09MD View Post
Is it bad to have your signal reading 100 and SNR 42 all of the time? Should I drop it some if Im not having any issues with anything?
I reported similar numbers on my Plus a while ago:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=508206

I don't appear to be experiencing any difficulties with these signal levels, it's just a little disconcerting to see 100 on every channel when that's never been the case in the past.

The signal level reported on the cablecard itself is lower than that displayed for the channels. In my case, the cablecard reports around 36db.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #24
Smirks
.:. Hello .:.

The signal levels on my Plus are consistently 100 with a SNR between 42 and 44 across all 5 working tuners. Wondering if I should try to get that lower and also wondering if that'll solve the audio problems I'm having on the one channel.
Smirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #25
joehler

sheisler28 - I am in the Omaha area and own a TiVo Roamio Pro. I have had success getting the cable card to work and tune non-SDV channels, but our tuning adapter will not fully initialize. It continues to blink yellow forever. Is your experience similar?

For anyone using the MTR700 tuning adapter, what version of software is your tuning adapter running? I have a suspicion that my adapter, which is running 1.33 only supports 4 tuners. I'm not sure if I will have any luck getting the cable company to upgrade the firmware in the adapter. Since they offer a 6 tuner DVR here, they should, but...

I wonder if there is a way to disable two of the tuners on the Roamio (even though that kills me) in order to get reliable behavior. I will follow up with both Cox and TiVo concerning this.

Last edited by joehler : 09-13-2013 at 05:43 PM.
joehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #26
RustySTL

I've only been getting two tuners working. After several attempts with Charter, I finally talked to someone at Tivo that told me there is a known issue with some TA's. The MTR700 is what I have and if I completely bypass it, I get all 6 tuners working. Tivo says they're working on fixing the issue.
RustySTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #27
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySTL View Post
I've only been getting two tuners working. After several attempts with Charter, I finally talked to someone at Tivo that told me there is a known issue with some TA's. The MTR700 is what I have and if I completely bypass it, I get all 6 tuners working. Tivo says they're working on fixing the issue.
Must be firmware related then because I'm using an MTR700 without issue for all 6 tuners (I've confirmed I can record 6 SDV channels at once).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #28
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySTL View Post
Look and see what firmware you have. I have the MTR700 and you need platform version 01.37 to get 6 tuners.

Go to settings/account & system information/tuning adapter/tuning adapter diagnostics/ and then when it goes into that gray screen, go down to code modules and hit select, see what the platform version is there. It should be at least 01.37 for 6 tuners to work.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #29
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
They are required by law to support at least 4 tuners. They're only required to support 6 tuners if they offer a 6 tuner DVR of their own.
Did not know that. So Cablevision started the "Whole Home" service back around the end of July. It allows you to record 10 shows at once and watch on any box. So, that said, they should have updated their cablecard to allow 6 tuners instead of 4. Two months after they did that.....still no go on that.

Cool to know though and I have confidence it will be fixed soon, especially if people file those complaints to get the software engineers on this and as a top priority. Will be great when it's working 100%.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #30
celtic pride

It seems to me that tivo should of let all the cable companies know that they were coming out with a 6 tuner tivo dvr so that that the cable companies would of been ready to support the 6 tuners from the start.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote