TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Closed Thread
Forum Jump

Old 12-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #121
aristoBrat

I'm visiting family in PA and have been using it a few times a day for the past couple of days (streaming to my iPhone 5s). Shows start off looking meh (with 3-4 quality bars), but within a minute or so switch to looking perfect, with all quality bars showing.

Tivo's FAQ mentions that until they update the iOS app to not require the use of their proxy server, it's not possible to get all quality bars to show. They've all been showing fine for me. Wonder if that means they're not requiring use of their proxy servers? Fat chance, but thought I'd mention it.

Also, if proxy servers are still in use, wonder if the folks constantly having issues are using a specific proxy server that is borked up.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
Old 12-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #122
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburnno View Post
They have officially come out and stated that they do not support hubs or switches. Their answer is if it works with it then great, if not then too bad, sorry for your luck.
Define "support."

I wouldn't expect TiVo or any other company to "support" a piece of hardware from another company.

They didn't say you couldn't use a switch, or that a switch wouldn't work -- but they're under no obligation to help a user trouble-shoot such a device.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #123
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePA1 View Post
Please quote where dianebrat denied there's a problem.
In fact I've been very clear that I've never doubted that some users are having a sub-optimal experience, I've just disputed their insistence that it's as wide spread as their chicken little statements of it being " wholly unusable"

Had this thread been titled "MY OOH streaming is pretty much UNUSABLE at this point" I wouldn't be participating.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #124
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
In fact I've been very clear that I've never doubted that some users are having a sub-optimal experience, I've just disputed their insistence that it's as wide spread as their chicken little statements of it being " wholly unusable"

Had this thread been titled "MY OOH streaming is pretty much UNUSABLE at this point" I wouldn't be participating.
You love putting words in peoples mouths. I have not seen anyone here,including me,that says the problem is 'widespread"

Noone knows the answer to whether its widespread other then Tivo.

And you certainly dont know either but you keep saying Tivo streaming is fine
for the "large majority of users"

You don't know that but you keep saying it.Over and over and over.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #125
jimmypowder

Quote:
Because I don't want others coming in to the thread to get the impression that it doesn't work, since it does, and for a large number of users.
As long as you keep beating your drum, I'll keep beating mine.

Here's your quote.

Ridiculous.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #126
mburnno

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
Define "support."

I wouldn't expect TiVo or any other company to "support" a piece of hardware from another company.

They didn't say you couldn't use a switch, or that a switch wouldn't work -- but they're under no obligation to help a user trouble-shoot such a device.
How often does a switch not work, really? If it is a non-manged switch you plug cables in and that is it. Most switches can detected straight though cables and use the auto crossover feature. No one is asking Tivo to troubleshoot a switch but at least say your product can work with it and quit using this excuse as a cop out for not wanting to fix your product. Hell even Microsoft will work with customers who uses switches in their home network.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #127
uw69

This issues seems to cry out for some kind of poll to really see how many folks are having streaming problems. Maybe we can figure out a common thread (router, switch, internet provider) that could assist TiVO in recreating the problem and coming up with a fix.

Anyone care enough to start a poll?
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
Old 12-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #128
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
This issues seems to cry out for some kind of poll to really see how many folks are having streaming problems. Maybe we can figure out a common thread (router, switch, internet provider) that could assist TiVO in recreating the problem and coming up with a fix. Anyone care enough to start a poll?
A poll in this forum would be statistically invalid .

Your discounting folks who have called tech support , those who haven't used it and those who don't bother coming to this site .

Solutions would be nice
Old 12-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #129
mburnno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypowder View Post
Yeah everything else works on my network outside the home from audio streaming,my slingbox,vulkano,etc but Tivo streaming doesnt.

Of course its my network,right? I have 100/20 mbps speed with the Tivo hardwired to the router.

It ain't my network!!!!
Of course its your network silly! Dianebrat never has any problems with the Tivo stream. It works like a device should work in Utopia and I can poop unicorns out of my butt too. How dare you say it is a Tivo problem, Tivo is the almighty.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #130
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburnno View Post
How often does a switch not work, really? If it is a non-manged switch you plug cables in and that is it. Most switches can detected straight though cables and use the auto crossover feature. No one is asking Tivo to troubleshoot a switch but at least say your product can work with it and quit using this excuse as a cop out for not wanting to fix your product. Hell even Microsoft will work with customers who uses switches in their home network.
Yeah the unmanaged network switch excuse is a
big cop out .
Old 12-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #131
ShoutingMan

I had mixed experience with iOS transfers and ooh streaming previously. But it's been working like a champ recently.

Transferring shows to my iPad was really frustrating for a while. It took multiple tries, and several hours for a show. But this week, I transferred five high quality hour dramas, and five medium quality sitcoms, without any problem. Queued them up, and several hours later, they were done.

OOH, last I tried it, was functional but very low quality. I had to give it 30 min to buffer 15 min of show, in low quality, to get through a sitcom. But this week, on hotel wifi and on family's home wifi, it's been fine. It started right up, playing in med-low quality within seconds.

I really hope this is the new normal, because it's so much more consistent than a month ago.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #132
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
This issues seems to cry out for some kind of poll to really see how many folks are having streaming problems. Maybe we can figure out a common thread (router, switch, internet provider) that could assist TiVO in recreating the problem and coming up with a fix.

Anyone care enough to start a poll?
Quote:

Your discounting folks who have called tech support , those who haven't used it and those who don't bother coming to this site .

Solutions would be nice
I don't think a single person in this thread cares about a statistically valid answer to the question, but IMO it'd be a great way to start the leg work of what uw69 mentioned, which is to try and figure out the commonalities between the setups of folks that work, and folks that don't work. If you want a community generated solution, it's got to start with that. If you just wanted to complain about TIVo not having a solution, TiVoMargret has published her email on these forums many times ... try complaining to her directly.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
Old 12-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #133
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoBrat View Post
I don't think a single person in this thread cares about a statistically valid answer to the question, but IMO it'd be a great way to start the leg work of what uw69 mentioned, which is to try and figure out the commonalities between the setups of folks that work, and folks that don't work. If you want a community generated solution, it's got to start with that. If you just wanted to complain about TIVo not having a solution, TiVoMargret has published her email on these forums many times ... try complaining to her directly.
Well then provide some solutions then . What do you have ?
Old 12-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #134
aristoBrat

Quote:
What do you have ?
I've got a second to uw69's suggestion that someone start a poll thread asking for people's experience with it, and for people's network/TiVo setups to see if there's anything in common between people who aren't having problems and people that are.

What do you have, other than saying that won't be statistically valid?
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
Old 12-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #135
jimmypowder

Quote:
I've got a second to uw69's suggestion that someone start a poll thread asking for people's experience with it, and for people's network/TiVo setups to see if there's anything in common between people who aren't having problems and people that are. What do you have, other than saying that won't be statistically valid?
Yes a poll would not be statistically valid and yes I does matter .

You wanna know why? I want to know whether there is a real fix or not or am I wasting my time trying to troubleshoot the issue .

You don't have any solutions it seems to me but if you do ill be glad to listen .
Old 12-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #136
MikePA1

Quote:
Yes a poll would not be statistically valid and yes I [sic] does matter .
aristobrat and uw69 had one suggestion consisting of two parts.

1. A poll.
2. People's network/TiVo setups to see if there's anything in common between people who aren't having problems and people that are.

People would vote and also post their configuration.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #137
uw69

Quote:

Solutions would be nice
Solutions would be nice, but that only happens after some effort to collect data to quantify and understand the the problem.

Statistically valid??? I doubt it, but it's an attempt to see how widespread this issue is and if there are any common elements that cause failure or success. My guess is the only poll you would find valid is one you created. Go for it.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
Old 12-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #138
jimmypowder

[quote="uw69;9945154"] Solutions would be nice, but that only happens after some effort to collect data to quantify and understand the the problem. Statistically valid??? I doubt it, but it's an attempt to see how widespread this issue is and if there are any common elements that cause failure or success. My guess is the only poll you would find valid is one you created. Go for it.[/QUOTE People posting on this site will never provide a clear answer as to how widespread the problem is . But I'm sure Tivo knows but I don't see them responding to this thread . It was never my suggestion to start a poll , so your arrogant suggestion for me to start one tells me you have no solutions to offer .
Old 12-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #139
MikePA1

Quote:
It was never my suggestion to start a poll , so your arrogant suggestion for me to start one tells me you have no solutions to offer .
Other than complaining ad nauseum, in multiple threads, what solutions have you offered? None.

Others have suggested a poll, with responses including configurations for what works and what doesn't, in an effort to identify the differences which would help in identifying what might be causing the problem. Because that's not a solution on a silver platter, you insult people who are trying to help.

/end

P.S.
I've added you to my ignore list.

Last edited by MikePA1 : 12-24-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #140
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePA1 View Post
Other than complaining ad nauseum, in multiple threads, what solutions have you offered? None. Others have suggested a poll, with responses including configurations for what works and what doesn't, in an effort to identify the differences which would help in identifying what might be causing the problem. Because that's not a solution on a silver platter, you insult people who are trying to help. /end
I don't have a solution . I have the problem and have asked multiple times for suggestions How could I have any possible solutions when the problem persists for me ??? And don't give me the delete
the app , restart the router , etc nonsense . I've tried it . I have yet to see anyone provide a solution . All they say is " it works great for me" . You got any solutions bro ?
Old 12-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #141
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
People posting on this site will never provide a clear answer as to how widespread the problem is . But I'm sure Tivo knows but I don't see them responding to this thread . It was never my suggestion to start a poll , so your arrogant suggestion for me to start one tells me you have no solutions to offer .
Tivo rarely responds to any thread on TCF since this isn't their forum, occasionally one of them will respond as a courtesy.

TCF has always been ahead of the curve in reporting failures and issues with a ratio HIGHER than you normally see, if anything TCF members are more technically savvy and more vocal, so if the ratio of TCF members that can stream and have streaming problems is high, you can assume that the general populace is lower.

This is the point I've been making since day one, but if you're unwilling to trust TCF and its members then I'm not sure how you can ever get the data you desire.

Berating members because they can't solve your problem is not a way to help your cause, respecting the fact that some users have issues and more don't should be given weight in the discussion.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #142
jimmypowder

Quote:
Tivo rarely responds to any thread on TCF since this isn't their forum, occasionally one of them will respond as a courtesy. TCF has always been ahead of the curve in reporting failures and issues with a ratio HIGHER than you normally see, if anything TCF members are more technically savvy and more vocal, so if the ratio of TCF members that can stream and have streaming problems is high, you can assume that the general populace is lower. This is the point I've been making since day one, but if you're unwilling to trust TCF and its members then I'm not sure how you can ever get the data you desire. Berating members because they can't solve your problem is not a way to help your cause, respecting the fact that some users have issues and more don't should be given weight in the discussion.

Any solutions to offer ? Otherwise you outta get lost .
Old 12-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #143
aristoBrat

Quote:
You got any solutions bro ?
Hey man, I don't want to ruin the suspense of you running to your inbox several times a day to see if somebody posted a magical solution in this thread, but this thread is now over a month old and has had over 5000 views.

If someone had a solution ready to go, it would have already been posted, bro.

At this point, what most people would do would be to use the community here to work together to try and figure it out. Seen some pretty amazing things happen when 10-20 people put their heads together in an organized fashioned, like figuring out how Roamio Hard Drive upgrades work here.

But the tone of your posts have turned off so many people, I'd be surprised at this point if anyone cares to help you.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
Old 12-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #144
jimmypowder

Quote:
Hey man, I don't want to ruin the suspense of you running to your inbox several times a day to see if somebody posted a magical solution in this thread, but this thread is now over a month old and has had over 5000 views. If someone had a solution ready to go, it would have already been posted, bro. At this point, what most people would do would be to use the community here to work together to try and figure it out. Seen some pretty amazing things happen when 10-20 people put their heads together in an organized fashioned, like figuring out how Roamio Hard Drive upgrades work here. But the tone of your posts have turned off so many people, I'd be surprised at this point if anyone cares to help you.
Any solutions bro ?
Old 12-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #145
aristoBrat

Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
Old 12-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #146
jimmypowder

[quote="aristoBrat;9945329"]I've added you to my ignore list.[/QUOTE

Any solutions ?
Old 12-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #147
jimmypowder

Quote:
Your not interested in providing any solutions . "works for me so it's gotta be a problem with your network " squawk !! " .
Old 12-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #148
moyekj

Time for this now useless thread to be closed by moderators I say.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread