Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Closed Thread
Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #91
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by taynt3d View Post
One more data point... It's been working fine for me. I don't doubt the issues out there, but I'm in the camp that we'd be seeing a lot more complaints here if this were a massively widespread problem.
You don't know this either. What percentage of all Tivo users are really using OOH streaming on a given day . I suspect its not a very high percentage .

Vacation , on business , maybe a wait at a doctors office ,at the gym? .

Any Tivo employee have a stat on OOH streaming attempts as a percentage of total Tivo customers ? 10,20,30 percent ?

Saying just because you don't see more posts about this means nothing . How do you know many just didn't CALL tech support ?
Do you have that data? Others I'm sure simply don't bother to post . For sure you will never have data on that.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #92
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypowder View Post
You don't know this either. What percentage of all Tivo users are really using OOH streaming on a given day . I suspect its not a very high percentage .
Vacation , on business , maybe a wait at a doctors office ,at the gym? .
Any Tivo employee have a stat on OOH streaming attempts as a percentage of total Tivo customers ? 10,20,30 percent ?
Saying just because you don't see more posts about this means nothing . How do you know many just didn't CALL tech support ?
Do you have that data? Others I'm sure simply don't bother to post . For sure you will never have data on that.
For the umpteenth time, if anything TCF over-reports any problem that comes up in the Tivo world, we're a more vocal and tech savvy group. To even suggest that we're not seeing reports of the issue because people are just giving up and that the data isn't valid because we're not Tivo employees is just silly.

You're so stuck on being right on this that you can't see the forest for the trees.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #93
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
For the umpteenth time, if anything TCF over-reports any problem that comes up in the Tivo world, we're a more vocal and tech savvy group. To even suggest that we're not seeing reports of the issue because people are just giving up and that the data isn't valid because we're not Tivo employees is just silly. You're so stuck on being right on this that you can't see the forest for the trees.
So I ask you once again , what stats do you have other then the number of posts in the forum ???

All you have is the number of posts , right ? Hardly a indicator of the extent of any problems considering OOH streaming is probably used my a small percentage of users each day .

Do you have that stat you can share with us ?
Old 12-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #94
dmaneyapanda

Is there any chance you two can take this idiotic argument to PMs or something?

As an update to my earlier reports of problems OOH streaming (and downloading) over Thanksgiving weekend, I have since used OOH streaming on multiple occasions, and am consistently getting very good quality streams (5-6 boxes). Hopefully it was just a blip caused by network traffic, tivo server instability on that day, or some such.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #95
tomhorsley

I just wish I could complain about streaming on my android Nexus 7 being too slow or jerky :-).
Old 12-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #96
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaneyapanda View Post
Is there any chance you two can take this idiotic argument to PMs or something?

As an update to my earlier reports of problems OOH streaming (and downloading) over Thanksgiving weekend, I have since used OOH streaming on multiple occasions, and am consistently getting very good quality streams (5-6 boxes). Hopefully it was just a blip caused by network traffic, tivo server instability on that day, or some such.
Consider it done, I'm tired of talking to a brick wall without even an iota of acknowledgement of the points being made. I think I've repeated myself more than I should have but at least a new viewer to the thread will see that it's not all gloom and doom.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #97
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaneyapanda View Post
Is there any chance you two can take this idiotic argument to PMs or something? As an update to my earlier reports of problems OOH streaming (and downloading) over Thanksgiving weekend, I have since used OOH streaming on multiple occasions, and am consistently getting very good quality streams (5-6 boxes). Hopefully it was just a blip caused by network traffic, tivo server instability on that day, or some such.
It really isn't idiotic as you describe . Either OOH streaming problems are widespread or not . That's what I'm trying to get at . If it is , it's likely a Tivo problem . If it's not , it's likely a network Problem on your side . Without an answer to this you don't know whether to troubleshoot or wait for Tivo to fix the issue . You could end up wasting a lot of your time for nothing .

If Tivo can't respond to their customers on this issue , well that's on them .
Old 12-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #98
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Does Comcast's DVR's support out-of-home streaming?

I'm glad my streaming works. Have you tried a different router?
Old 12-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #99
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
Does Comcast's DVR's support out-of-home streaming? I'm glad my streaming works. Have you tried a different router?
Nah . Gave up and bought a Slingbox . I use the new Apple A/C router the Tivo is hardwired to the router .Everything , both wireless and wired network devices work fine except the Tivo . I wish I has just bought a Roamio Basic . Slingbox works flawlessly on wifi and 4g/LTE so I'm sticking with that . I bought the Roamio plus for streaming feature where you could watch something outside the home while someone else is watching something else on your home tv you can't do that with a Slingbox .

Last edited by jimmypowder : 12-15-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #100
jimmypowder

Tried again yesterday to stream .Opened the app ,said Im on a away network. went to play stream something and app asked me to setup streaming again. I did that and it said there wan an error .

what a joke.

Opened up slingbox .great everything worked fine.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #101
mburnno

Quote:
Nah . Gave up and bought a Slingbox . I use the new Apple A/C router the Tivo is hardwired to the router .Everything , both wireless and wired network devices work fine except the Tivo . I wish I has just bought a Roamio Basic . Slingbox works flawlessly on wifi and 4g/LTE so I'm sticking with that . I bought the Roamio plus for streaming feature where you could watch something outside the home while someone else is watching something else on your home tv you can't do that with a Slingbox .
I would have to agree. I have pretty much given up on trying to use the stream. I have done every possible solution I can think of to try to get the stream to work and I get the same freaking error message of "network problems". I can see both Roamio devices and start the setup process but in the end same error message. Everything else on my network fine except the Tivo. I purchased a Slingbox 500 and it works fine first shot I never touched a thing on my home network to make it work.

If Comcast every lets you stream from the X1 platform like the Tivo were supposed to let you do then Tivo may be in a world of hurt. I think Tivo might of bit off more then they can chew on this one. I think they should of Waited a year so they could of worked the bugs out of the new Roamio's before they integrated the Stream but that is just my opinion.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #102
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

There's got to be a more common denominator in the situations where folks can't get streaming to work as I've said ad infinitum, there are many of us that not only have it working, but it's worked fine since they flipped the switch, even on my crappy gym's wifi I can watch sitcoms while on the elliptical.

p.s. and to those in the peanut gallery, the "common denominator" isn't that "stream sucks" because it doesn't.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #103
takeshi

FWIW, works fine for me but this is my first time taking it for a spin.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #104
rucheridee

My TiVo stream works great until it stops... At that point I'm SOL until I get home and rerun setup. Doesn't help when you are away on business or on vacation. I knew it has been unreliable & also thinking about getting a slingbox bc I don't need another source of frustration. Strange thing is I got a new cable modem and have been switching back n forth from old to new bc new one isn't working well. Wouldn't u know my iPhone5 didn't skip a beat with streaming?!?! After I put old cable modem back until a tech can come out to the house, I grabbed the iPhone & iPad to rerun setup & surprised it connected automagically. Go figure. I wonder what's causing the stream to stop. I'm unsure how long I've gone without having to rerun setup. I only got the roamio plus for 3 weeks.

Last edited by rucheridee : 12-23-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #105
mburnno

Quote:
There's got to be a more common denominator in the situations where folks can't get streaming to work as I've said ad infinitum, there are many of us that not only have it working, but it's worked fine since they flipped the switch, even on my crappy gym's wifi I can watch sitcoms while on the elliptical.

p.s. and to those in the peanut gallery, the "common denominator" isn't that "stream sucks" because it doesn't.
Maybe some of the boxes are just defected and Tivo won't admit to it? At some point there is only some much troubleshooting a customer is willing to do. You have to remember that the customer shouldn't have to troubleshoot a brand new box or at least a five month old box. At what point do you draw the line and say that either the box or the service account is FUBAR'ed? I don't feel as if I need to destroy my network to make a Tivo box work on it when 99% of my other network devices works fine.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #106
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburnno View Post
Maybe some of the boxes are just defected and Tivo won't admit to it? At some point there is only some much troubleshooting a customer is willing to do. You have to remember that the customer shouldn't have to troubleshoot a brand new box or at least a five month old box. At what point do you draw the line and say that either the box or the service account is FUBAR'ed? I don't feel as if I need to destroy my network to make a Tivo box work on it when 99% of my other network devices works fine.
Yeah but Dianebrat can get it to work at the gym, notorious for having flaky networks or just too many users!!!!!!

Any suggestions on how to fix the problem dianebrat?
Old 12-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #107
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I am not sure what the fix is...

From my perspective, when it works, it works great. Audio is in sync, very few artifacts, responds well to remote commands. Everything I want.

But... It seems to disconnect for some reason - and this happens both at home and away.

TiVo fixes that - and it will be a fantastic add on!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
Old 12-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #108
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Yeah but Dianebrat can get it to work at the gym, notorious for having flaky networks or just too many users!!!!!!

Any suggestions on how to fix the problem dianebrat?
I'm really tired of you constantly harping on that, do you not think I'd have given you the incantation the first 10 times you asked? Sorry if I don't have the magic for you, but it won't change the next 10 times you ask the same question of me either. Am I just just going to say "hey, I've strung him along enough now, I can give him the secret code that makes streaming work"

I can't make your issue go away, but what I have is the fact that my setup works, and that other people have a setup that works, the Stream situation is not terminally defective for ALL users despite several folk implying that it is.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #109
Tivogre

TiVo stream works great for me - home and away. In fact, the stand alone stream (which I gave to my FIL when I got a Roamio) works great too.

I'm guessing those with problems either have network issues, or haven't set their stream up correctly.

Yeah... I know they don't want to hear that.
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Old 12-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #110
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre View Post
TiVo stream works great for me - home and away. In fact, the stand alone stream (which I gave to my FIL when I got a Roamio) works great too. I'm guessing those with problems either have network issues, or haven't set their stream up correctly. Yeah... I know they don't want to hear that.
I've set it up . Over a dozen times . It's not too difficult to set up All other out of network usages ,including audio streaming from my home computer,vnc, slingbox,vulkano all work Tivo streaming doesn't work out of home . I can get it to work no problem at home .i could care less about that feature I have very fast 110/20 Mbps internet speeds .

Last edited by jimmypowder : 12-23-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #111
jimmypowder

Quote:
I'm really tired of you constantly harping on that, do you not think I'd have given you the incantation the first 10 times you asked? Sorry if I don't have the magic for you, but it won't change the next 10 times you ask the same question of me either. Am I just just going to say "hey, I've strung him along enough now, I can give him the secret code that makes streaming work" I can't make your issue go away, but what I have is the fact that my setup works, and that other people have a setup that works, the Stream situation is not terminally defective for ALL users despite several folk implying that it is.
Why even bother here if it works fine for you ? Enjoy your great Tivo steaming experience . You have no solutions to offer To fix the issues facing some tivo users,
Old 12-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #112
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Why even bother here if it works fine for you ? Enjoy your great Tivo steaming experience . You have no solutions to offer To fix the issues facing some tivo users,
Because I don't want others coming in to the thread to get the impression that it doesn't work, since it does, and for a large number of users.
As long as you keep beating your drum, I'll keep beating mine.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #113
rucheridee

So all the folks that have no issues have never had to re-run setup?
Old 12-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #114
Tivogre

I have never had to re run setup.
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Old 12-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #115
mburnno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre View Post
TiVo stream works great for me - home and away. In fact, the stand alone stream (which I gave to my FIL when I got a Roamio) works great too.

I'm guessing those with problems either have network issues, or haven't set their stream up correctly.

Yeah... I know they don't want to hear that.
Wow, that is a big statement you just said there! I'll will be the first one to tell you that you are talking out of your ass on this one. I can't speak for others, but I know my network is setup correctly since I do it for a living. The real common denominator for all of this is Tivo. Tivo does not use good standard networking practices.

For example, why does Tivo tell you when you call their support that you MUST use DHCP because it has less issues. Now the support may have been full of crap but if he wasn't then why have a place for a static? Another example, Why is it that most network devices can use a switch and support a switch but not Tivo. They have officially come out and stated that they do not support hubs or switches. Their answer is if it works with it then great, if not then too bad, sorry for your luck. Which begs the question of if you don't support switches then why push out a patch that fixed the "green switch" problem some of us were having?

I will say you are entitled to your own opinion.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #116
mburnno

Quote:
Because I don't want others coming in to the thread to get the impression that it doesn't work, since it does, and for a large number of users.
You have no proof that the stream works for large numbers of users. Some Tivo users don't even know this forum even exist. Say what you will but there is a problem with the stream whether you want to admit it or not. I will given you an example, before I upgraded my Premiere to the now defunct Roamino, I had the stand alone stream and it worked great not a single issue.

Now since I upgraded both of my boxes I can't get a single Roamio to stream anything. I can't even get the Damn setup to work. I see both units and I follow the directions which is not that hard. I choose one and it starts the setup process and it fails every damn time no matter which one I choose.

I am somewhat hesitant to call support. All they know is the script in front of them.
1.)Turn off your modem
2.) turn off your router / switch
3.) turn off your Tivo
4.) turn on your Modem and wait 3 to 5 min.
5.) turn on your router
6.) turn on your Tivo
7.) what that didn't work
8.) Format your Tivo and start over
9.) still didn't work? Sorry your network has problems we can't help you and no you will not get a new Tivo or a refund from us.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #117
MikePA1

Quote:
Say what you will but there is a problem with the stream whether you want to admit it or not.
Please quote where dianebrat denied there's a problem.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #118
uw69

Quote:
Works great for me! Love it!
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
Old 12-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #119
jimmypowder

Quote:
Once again you dont have any data that suggests Tivo streaming with the Roamio works for "a large number of users"

You are just guessing ,you have nothing to back this vague statement up .
Old 12-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #120
jimmypowder

Quote:
You have no proof that the stream works for large numbers of users. Some Tivo users don't even know this forum even exist. Say what you will but there is a problem with the stream whether you want to admit it or not. I will given you an example, before I upgraded my Premiere to the now defunct Roamino, I had the stand alone stream and it worked great not a single issue.

Now since I upgraded both of my boxes I can't get a single Roamio to stream anything. I can't even get the Damn setup to work. I see both units and I follow the directions which is not that hard. I choose one and it starts the setup process and it fails every damn time no matter which one I choose.

I am somewhat hesitant to call support. All they know is the script in front of them.
1.)Turn off your modem
2.) turn off your router / switch
3.) turn off your Tivo
4.) turn on your Modem and wait 3 to 5 min.
5.) turn on your router
6.) turn on your Tivo
7.) what that didn't work
8.) Format your Tivo and start over
9.) still didn't work? Sorry your network has problems we can't help you and no you will not get a new Tivo or a refund from us.
Yeah everything else works on my network outside the home from audio streaming,my slingbox,vulkano,etc but Tivo streaming doesnt.

Of course its my network,right? I have 100/20 mbps speed with the Tivo hardwired to the router.

It ain't my network!!!!
Closed Thread