TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Closed Thread
Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2013, 05:11 AM   #61
nyctwc

It seems to me that Tivo, Inc. needs to hire more qualified programmers who have more expertise in the language platforms they are trying to support. After 10 years of dealing with so many bugs in Tivo software, the only conclusion I can come to is that the existing programmers are overwhelmed.

The hardware design and interface design have been excellent. The Roamio Pro is an excellent product. Now it just needs the proper software support by the programming teams.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #62
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctwc View Post
It seems to me that Tivo, Inc. needs to hire more qualified programmers who have more expertise in the language platforms they are trying to support. After 10 years of dealing with so many bugs in Tivo software, the only conclusion I can come to is that the existing programmers are overwhelmed.

The hardware design and interface design have been excellent. The Roamio Pro is an excellent product. Now it just needs the proper software support by the programming teams.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #63
ShoutingMan

How is download to iPad/iPhone working? I've had fair success with ooh streaming. But trying to plan ahead, and download shows to my iPad has been time-consuming and frustrating.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #64
nyctwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
How is download to iPad/iPhone working? I've had fair success with ooh streaming. But trying to plan ahead, and download shows to my iPad has been time-consuming and frustrating.
I agree. Downloading to iPad/iPhone has been extremely time-consuming and frustrating. It also results in much bigger files than transferring shows to my Mac (through a web browser since Roxio hasn't updated the app in three months to work with the Roamio) and converting them with Toast. I don't have exact numbers right now, but at Best Quality, shows transferred with the Tivo App are roughly twice as large as shows converted with Toast. A one hour show transferred on the iPad at Best Quality is 1GB. On a 16GB iPad with lots of apps and music, I can only store a couple of shows on it when I'm away from home.

In addition, If my iPad is near full capacity and I keep transferred shows stored on my iPad when I sync to iTunes, I'll get several errors and the sync will fail. Somehow iTunes either fails to recognize or doesn't know how to deal with the Tivo app and shows taking up so much space.

As for OOH streaming, as I said in an earlier post, it's been somewhat unreliable. When it does work, the video quality is extremely poor for me (usually 2, sometimes 4 bars on the indicator) because my cable upload speed through Time Warner's "Standard Internet" plan is only 1 Mbps, which is $55/month in NYC.

Last edited by nyctwc : 12-10-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #65
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
My experience with out of home streaming has been very poor .I have 100/20
mbps internet speed with the Tivo Roamio hard wired to the router.

Even though ive setup streaming on my iphone multiple times when i get outside the home ,open the Tivo app all the watch buttons are greyed out.

I have got it to work a few times but there was a lot of freezing. Bought a Slingbox 350 and have been very happy with it hardwired. When the Slingbox
is connected wirelessly,there is some buffering that causes the video to freeze very temporarily but then continues on quite well.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #66
CloudAtlas

Rcn Nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctwc View Post
[...] my cable upload speed through Time Warner's "Standard Internet" plan is only 1 Mbps, which is $55/month in NYC.
You should really see if you can switch to RCN. 25 Mbps Internet is $34.99 or 50Mbp for $5 more. They also offer cable bundles with TiVo Quad as the cable box/DVR. For $99 I get 230 channels, 50Mbps and unlimited phone with a TiVo Premiere Quad. I was a TWC user for 15 years before the switch.

https://www.rcn.com/new-york/
http://www.rcn.com/new-york/special-offers
Old 12-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #67
tim1724

Out-of-home streaming works perfectly for me. Every time.

I imagine the majority of people who don't have problems never visit this thread. Why would they, except out of idle curiosity?

My guess is that most people who are running into problems either have a router problem or they have an ISP that is causing problems. (either by blocking ports or not providing sufficient upload bandwidth)
Old 12-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #68
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1724 View Post

I imagine the majority of people who don't have problems never visit this thread. Why would they, except out of idle curiosity?

My guess is that most people who are running into problems either have a router problem or they have an ISP that is causing problems. (either by blocking ports or not providing sufficient upload bandwidth)
I have 20 mbps upload speed with a Tivo Roamio hardwired . My Slingbox and Vulkano placeshifting devices work just fine on wifi,Lte or 4g on my iphone ,ipad.

I also use Audiotap to stream high bandwidth music from my home computer
with no issues and the app transcodes from lossless to 320 flawlessly.

Oh I should mention that Tivo Streaming inside my home works just fine but I could care less about that .

Every single internet connected device I have works fine with my Apple A/C router except Tivo .

Any suggestions .I have already tried the reset ,delete app reinstall app ,etc.?
Restart router,modem.etc. Assigned DHCP reservation for the Tivo ,that didnt help either.

Tivo streaming works fine at my house but I could care less about that. It would be nice if I could get it to work
outside the home.

Last edited by jimmypowder : 12-10-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #69
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypowder View Post
Tivo streaming works fine at my house but I could care less about that. It would be nice if I could get it to work
outside the home.
If that's the case then my speculation says somehow the connection to the TiVo Proxy server is screwing things up for your case. If/when TiVo gets rid of that requirement your issue may go away.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #70
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
If that's the case then my speculation says somehow the connection to the TiVo Proxy server is screwing things up for your case. If/when TiVo gets rid of that requirement your issue may go away.
Yeah you may be right . Any idea when this proxy server will be retired and we can connect direct to our Tivo boxes ?
Old 12-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #71
moyekj

Quote:
Yeah you may be right . Any idea when this proxy server will be retired and we can connect direct to our Tivo boxes ?
I don't think there is an official date announced. But there are already hooks in place for assisted manual port forwarding and possibility to use UPNP like Slingbox does is also available, so not sure why TiVo went with proxy server to begin with...
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #72
gbruyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1724 View Post

So you've NEVER had any problems? That's great! How many times have you used it outside the home? How many different locations and connections have you tried it at? Just wondering if you travel alot or a little. Also, when you do use it --- are you using it for an extended period of time to watch full shows and/or download shows? Or are you simply testing to see that it works for a quick moment and then not messing with it?

I just find it funny that some of us are having all these issues while others it's working perfectly fine ALL THE TIME. I'm trying to figure out if you really travel as much (and thus have as many try ATTEMPTS) at those of us who are having the problem.

I travel for work weekly and thus use this (or try to use this) feature 5-10 times per week at multiple different locations.

Maybe it's not IF, but WHEN it will start having problems for those of you who it's working perfectly for.

Again --- this will all probably solve itself when the PROXY is out of the equation. Out of curiosity --- does anyone know where Tivo's proxy server is physically located? Where is Tivo out of?
Old 12-11-2013, 02:51 AM   #73
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruyn View Post
I just find it funny that some of us are having all these issues while others it's working perfectly fine ALL THE TIME. I'm trying to figure out if you really travel as much (and thus have as many try ATTEMPTS) at those of us who are having the problem.
I've traveled for work 3 of the past 4 weeks. Watched recorded and live shows on my iPad4, running iOS 7.04, on each trip without any problems. Roamio Basic, one Mini, one Stream on 1 gig Ethernet network.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #74
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
I've traveled for work 3 of the past 4 weeks. Watched recorded and live shows on my iPad4, running iOS 7.04, on each trip without any problems. Roamio Basic, one Mini, one Stream on 1 gig Ethernet network.
So what day did the Tivo Stream get the software
update allowing streaming outside the home?
Old 12-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #75
jimmypowder

Tried again out of home at the gym and I got to buffering , then it wouldn't connect .

Oh well . I think I may have better luck on LTE when they allow it .

More C133 errors last night too . It's becoming a regular occurrence . Glad I bought a Slingbox and wish I had bought a Roamio Basic instead of a pro .
Old 12-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #76
tim1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruyn View Post
So you've NEVER had any problems? That's great! How many times have you used it outside the home? How many different locations and connections have you tried it at? Just wondering if you travel alot or a little. Also, when you do use it --- are you using it for an extended period of time to watch full shows and/or download shows? Or are you simply testing to see that it works for a quick moment and then not messing with it?

I use it a few times a week when I'm at work. Typically if I'm eating lunch in my office and decide I want to catch up on some of the shows I don't often get a chance to watch at home (because my girlfriend doesn't like them).

My setup:

TiVo Roamio Pro connected via ethernet to an Apple Airport Extreme which is connected via ethernet to a WiMax modem. I use CLEAR WiMax as my ISP. The Airport Extreme is configured in bridging mode and the WiMax modem is doing the NAT/DHCP/DNS. (I'd rather have the Airport do it, as I'd have more control, but there's no bridging option for the WiMax modem, unfortunately.)

I normally watch on my iPhone 4S which is connected to a very fast network at work. I believe they use Cisco base stations.

My upload bandwidth at home is not great, so I only get middling quality when streaming (3 or 4 bars on the quality meter in the TiVo app), but it's worked every single time.

I've only streamed video while at work; I haven't tried downloading anything. If I wanted to download shows I'd do it while at home as that would obviously be faster.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #77
mattack

Have any of you who are having problems reported your problems on forums.tivo.com? That's the official way to get in touch with them.

I have to re-setup out of home streaming to be absolutely sure I had it fully set up. If I do that, and if I end up trying it and it doesn't work, I'll probably start a thread.. but you guys seem to be having more problems with lots of info.. so you should write it up there.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #78
jimmypowder

The stream is pretty much worthless min my experience .

I certainly would not recommend a Tivo to anyone expecting a decent
Stream experience .

Recording & surfing are great .
Old 12-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #79
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
The stream is pretty much worthless min my experience .

I certainly would not recommend a Tivo to anyone expecting a decent
Stream experience .

Recording & surfing are great .
and I will disagree, I find my stream experience to be reliable and consistent as I have previously posted, I will easily recommend the Tivo and Stream process.

My issue with this thread has always been that you and other posters are extrapolating that the process doesn't work for you, and therefor is that way for everyone else, that's an incorrect use of the facts.

For you and the other posters having issues, yes, I'm sure you have them, but it's not as widespread as you keep suggesting.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #80
jacbec

Thumbs down TiVo Anywhere Poor Performance

My TiVo (Premier XL4 + Stream) RARELY works away from home. I have been trying to use it now for about 3 weeks in places like Hilton Hotel, Starbucks and the Mall and it just does not perform. Most of the time I can't even get it to work. Other rare times it performs so slowly I give up. So far it has been pretty useless in this mode. I have an iPhone 5s and iPad Air both with iOS 7.0.4.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:34 AM   #81
jhwpbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
and I will disagree, I find my stream experience to be reliable and consistent as I have previously posted, I will easily recommend the Tivo and Stream process.

My issue with this thread has always been that you and other posters are extrapolating that the process doesn't work for you, and therefor is that way for everyone else, that's an incorrect use of the facts.

For you and the other posters having issues, yes, I'm sure you have them, but it's not as widespread as you keep suggesting.
And you could be completely wrong; i.e., the issue could be quite widespread and you and a few others are just lucky. No data either way.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:59 AM   #82
pappasc

I have all the same issues. Generally very unreliable streaming and downloading. App freezes, streaming stops, downloads don't complete, etc.

I'm not blaming the streaming function at this time because it seems there are so many c133 errors, that is likely the culprit.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #83
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwpbm View Post
And you could be completely wrong; i.e., the issue could be quite widespread and you and a few others are just lucky. No data either way.
TCF would be absolutely swimming in "OOH streaming doesn't work" threads if it was that bad, just look at how fast the C133 error threads multiplied.

If there's one thing TCF members are, it's that they're vocal.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #84
jimmypowder

Quote:
TCF would be absolutely swimming in "OOH streaming doesn't work" threads if it was that bad, just look at how fast the C133 error threads multiplied. If there's one thing TCF members are, it's that they're vocal.
You don't know that either .

C133 was affecting all Tivo users.

Do you have some stats on percentage of Tivo users using OOH streaming per day ?? If you
don't then you really don't know the answer to how many people are having problems .

You can't compare the quantity of C133 posts with OOH posts .
Old 12-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #85
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
You don't know that either .

C133 was affecting all Tivo users.

Do you have some stats on percentage of Tivo users using OOH streaming per day ?? If you
don't then you really don't know the answer to how many people are having problems .

You can't compare the quantity of C133 posts with OOH posts .
I'm sorry, but your insistence that I prove a negative of an issue that doesn't widely exist isn't going to happen.
I get it, I get that you and the other posters having the problem are ticked at Tivo, I can respect that. However saying my example isn't valid doesn't count, I was showing that TCF can be vocal and for that the example is pretty clear.

As long as posters make blanket statements trying to scare folks away from OOH streaming, I and others will keep making the counter argument that it can and does work for people.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #86
jimmypowder

Quote:
I'm sorry, but your insistence that I prove a negative of an issue that doesn't widely exist isn't going to happen. I get it, I get that you and the other posters having the problem are ticked at Tivo, I can respect that. However saying my example isn't valid doesn't count, I was showing that TCF can be vocal and for that the example is pretty clear. As long as posters make blanket statements trying to scare folks away from OOH streaming, I and others will keep making the counter argument that it can and does work for people.
Once again you don't know the extent of the problems . Your just guessing .

No one but Tivo has data on this .
Old 12-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #87
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Once again you don't know the extent of the problems . Your just guessing .

No one but Tivo has data on this .
I'm really tired of this, multiple posters have come in to this and other threads on the subject and pointed out that there are good experiences to be had out there, but you're so focused on your bad experience you won't let it slide; instead you insist that our data is invalid. I will continue to point out that TCF users are a very good measuring metric, and if anything when an issue happens it's over-reported here because people rarely come to a forum to say "hey, all is good"

I will not "prove" my point, I let the lack of constant posts other than a few from a handful of users speak to my point and I will continue to participate so that new viewers to the threads understand that the issue is not as widespread as a handful of posters are suggesting.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #88
jhwpbm

Quote:
. . . I will continue to participate so that new viewers to the threads understand that the issue is not as widespread as a handful of posters are suggesting.
. . . in your opinion.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #89
jimmypowder

Quote:
I'm really tired of this, multiple posters have come in to this and other threads on the subject and pointed out that there are good experiences to be had out there, but you're so focused on your bad experience you won't let it slide; instead you insist that our data is invalid. I will continue to point out that TCF users are a very good measuring metric, and if anything when an issue happens it's over-reported here because people rarely come to a forum to say "hey, all is good"

I will not "prove" my point, I let the lack of constant posts other than a few from a handful of users speak to my point and I will continue to participate so that new viewers to the threads understand that the issue is not as widespread as a handful of posters are suggesting.
So what data do you have? DO you work for Tivo? If so,please let us all know what data you have.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #90
taynt3d

One more data point... It's been working fine for me. I don't doubt the issues out there, but I'm in the camp that we'd be seeing a lot more complaints here if this were a massively widespread problem.
Closed Thread