TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Closed Thread
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #31
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: boston'ish
Posts: 7,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypowder View Post
Look I have 100 mbps downloads and 20 mbps UPLOAD at my house and its been pretty bad outside the home .

I set a DHCP reservation for the Tivo Roamio PLus and opened some ports
so Ive done everthing on my end. My slingbox works flawlessly and both are hardwired to my router.

I know what I'm doing with internet connectivity and the Tivo streaming aint ready for primetime.
And I have significantly lower internet service levels and my unit works fine and I deem MY performance "just fine"

I'm not saying that you don't know what you're doing, I'm not saying that you're not having issues, what I'm saying that your experience is not transferable to ALL the other streaming users.
__________________
"There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."
dianebrat is online now  
Old 12-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #32
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic
 
geekmedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
And I have significantly lower internet service levels and my unit works fine and I deem MY performance "just fine"

I'm not saying that you don't know what you're doing, I'm not saying that you're not having issues, what I'm saying that your experience is not transferable to ALL the other streaming users.
Perhaps it's more to do with latency and packet loss that makes the quality so poor.
__________________
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
geekmedic is online now  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #33
jimmypowder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
And I have significantly lower internet service levels and my unit works fine and I deem MY performance "just fine" I'm not saying that you don't know what you're doing, I'm not saying that you're not having issues, what I'm saying that your experience is not transferable to ALL the other streaming users.
Another thing . I have multiple times been away from home , hopped onto a friend's wifi only for the Tivo app to act as if I never setup out of home streaming , asking for email address and password . At that point your dead in the water.
jimmypowder is offline  
Old 12-07-2013, 03:00 AM   #34
MikePA1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypowder View Post
Another thing . I have multiple times been away from home , hopped onto a friend's wifi only for the Tivo app to act as if I never setup out of home streaming , asking for email address and password . At that point your dead in the water.
With every additional post, you prove your OOH problems are unique to you, yet you continue to insist they're widespread and insult people who are not having problems. Perhaps you need a timeout.

For the second time in three weeks, I've used the WiFi in the same hotel in Pittsburgh to watch episodes of NCIS-LA, NCIS and Blacklist on my iPad.
MikePA1 is offline  
Old 12-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #35
jimmypowder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePA1 View Post
With every additional post, you prove your OOH problems are unique to you, yet you continue to insist they're widespread and insult people who are not having problems. Perhaps you need a timeout. For the second time in three weeks, I've used the WiFi in the same hotel in Pittsburgh to watch episodes of NCIS-LA, NCIS and Blacklist on my iPad.
I never say in any of my posts the issue is widespread because I don't have the answer to this . Please provide me with my quote where I say it's widespread . You won't find it . The reviews at the Apple Stire certainly reflect there are others with issues . Tivo streaming out of home in my experience is garbage . In fact I just bought a Slingbox I was so disappointed with it.
jimmypowder is offline  
Old 12-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #36
sneagle
Addicted Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New York area
Posts: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypowder View Post
Another thing . I have multiple times been away from home , hopped onto a friend's wifi only for the Tivo app to act as if I never setup out of home streaming , asking for email address and password . At that point your dead in the water.
This happened to me once. My guess is it was during the TiVo network issues.
__________________
Former DirecTivo user..left for lack of line of sight for HD
Using Tivo HD x 2 with FIOS using cablecards and
One FIOS DVR with the latest software
sneagle is online now  
Old 12-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #37
jimmypowder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 170
[quote="sneagle;9923434"] This happened to me once. My guess is it was during the TiVo network issues.[/

They just had the network down recently, again . For a long period of time . Never use to happen but I've seen the C133 message 6-8 times or so in a two month time period
jimmypowder is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #38
jimmypowder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 170
C133 messages up the kazoo too . Probably dozen of them in two months . That renders the app useless as well .

I should have bought a basic Roamio with no stream .

The TiVo streaming is so buggy it convinced me to buy a Slingbox , which works great and will be what I use outside the home .
jimmypowder is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #39
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: North Potomac, MD
Posts: 3,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypowder View Post
C133 messages up the kazoo too . Probably dozen of them in two months . That renders the app useless as well .

I should have bought a basic Roamio with no stream .

The TiVo streaming is so buggy it convinced me to buy a Slingbox , which works great and will be what I use outside the home .
What is your evidence that more than one bug exists, and that the single bug is not sparked by YOUR particular environment (your router, your ISP, your LAN)?

Despite your denials, you are make unsubstantiated general claims about the software (that works for most people much better than it works for you). You can't claim it is "so buggy" without evidence that numerous bugs exist, and you haven't done so. You can't claim that streaming is not ready for prime time without showing that the problems exist for numerous people other than you (are wide-spread). TiVo would certainly be considered ready for prime time if you were the only person having problems; the world does not revolve around your problems, as I'm sure you will agree. So you are making claims about how wide-spread the problems are and at the same time denying this fact.

Let's get a figure out of you. What percentage of folks have to have problems that make it unusable for you to consider the software not ready for prime time?
__________________
CrispyCritter
TiVo Roamio:Felix TiVo Premiere:Bob TiVo XL4:Fred TiVo HDXL:Sharon TiVoHD:Susan
CrispyCritter is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #40
jimmypowder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 170
Just got outside the home again .. Just this second . All the watch buttons are greyed out... Again Lol .

Dead in the water

Last edited by jimmypowder : 12-08-2013 at 11:09 AM.
jimmypowder is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #41
gbruyn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 50
How about the people that it's working for just AVOID this thread? Why even look at this thread if it's working great for you. Go enjoy your Tivo experience and let the people who are having problems try and get to the bottom of the issue.
__________________
Tivo Roamio Plus
Charter Cable - Atlanta, GA Area
gbruyn is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #42
jimmypowder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruyn View Post
How about the people that it's working for just AVOID this thread? Why even look at this thread if it's working great for you. Go enjoy your Tivo experience and let the people who are having problems try and get to the bottom of the issue.
Agree completely .
jimmypowder is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #43
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: boston'ish
Posts: 7,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruyn View Post
How about the people that it's working for just AVOID this thread? Why even look at this thread if it's working great for you. Go enjoy your Tivo experience and let the people who are having problems try and get to the bottom of the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypowder View Post
Agree completely .
Because the subject line is WRONG.. and a new user coming in to the thread should know that the issue is for some users, not ALL users, and it's certainly not a majority of users.
__________________
"There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."
dianebrat is online now  
Old 12-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #44
jhwpbm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
IMO, the problem is with the app on your device. Have you deleted the app, rebooted the device, installed the app, and set it up again?

Your network would have nothing to do with the app reporting the MAK is invalid.
Yep, several times. Get the same issue on two different iPads - works one minute, not the next. Very frustrating.

TiVo support says it's my network, then says I should connect the Roamio via Ethernet because my wireless is not up to snuff (I'm connected at 450Mbps, 98% signal strength), then it "might" work better if both devices were on wireless instead of one via Ethernet and the iPad via wireless, etc. - i.e., they don't know what's going on, either.
jhwpbm is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #45
TC25D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 202
All my TiVo devices (Roamio, Mini and Stream) are on the same Ethernet network.
TC25D is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #46
rainwater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwpbm View Post
Yep, several times. Get the same issue on two different iPads - works one minute, not the next. Very frustrating.

TiVo support says it's my network, then says I should connect the Roamio via Ethernet because my wireless is not up to snuff (I'm connected at 450Mbps, 98% signal strength), then it "might" work better if both devices were on wireless instead of one via Ethernet and the iPad via wireless, etc. - i.e., they don't know what's going on, either.
There is about 100% chance it is because your Roamio is wireless. Wireless performance on the Roamio is far from perfect. I've had issues streaming to Minis over wireless (using a newer Wireless AC router and almost 100% signal strenth). Wireless can cause all kinds of issues (like interference from neighboring routers) that you can't control. Personally, I have around 20 wireless networks available to me so no matter what channel I put mine on there are going to be collisions.
rainwater is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #47
jimmypowder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Because the subject line is WRONG.. and a new user coming in to the thread should know that the issue is for some users, not ALL users, and it's certainly not a majority of users.
You don't know the extent of the streaming problems either unless you work for Tivo .
jimmypowder is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #48
jimmypowder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwpbm View Post
Yep, several times. Get the same issue on two different iPads - works one minute, not the next. Very frustrating. TiVo support says it's my network, then says I should connect the Roamio via Ethernet because my wireless is not up to snuff (I'm connected at 450Mbps, 98% signal strength), then it "might" work better if both devices were on wireless instead of one via Ethernet and the iPad via wireless, etc. - i.e., they don't know what's going on, either.
I am using a wired connection ,done all the troubleshooting steps,still doesn't work .
jimmypowder is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #49
jimmypowder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
There is about 100% chance it is because your Roamio is wireless. Wireless performance on the Roamio is far from perfect. I've had issues streaming to Minis over wireless (using a newer Wireless AC router and almost 100% signal strenth). Wireless can cause all kinds of issues (like interference from neighboring routers) that you can't control. Personally, I have around 20 wireless networks available to me so no matter what channel I put mine on there are going to be collisions.
I am using a wired connection ,not wireless and still have major problems with out of home streaming .even after all the troubleshooting tips .
jimmypowder is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #50
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: boston'ish
Posts: 7,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Because the subject line is WRONG.. and a new user coming in to the thread should know that the issue is for some users, not ALL users, and it's certainly not a majority of users.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypowder View Post
You don't know the extent of the streaming problems either unless you work for Tivo .
No, but I know TCF, and if streaming were as bad globally as you claim the community would be up in arms and we'd be swimming in threads about it.
Had this thread been titled
Quote:
At this point... my OOH Streaming is Pretty Much UNUSABLE
we wouldn't be having this discussion. PM a mod to change it and I'll walk away.

Those of us that have been around a while have noticed folks coming in all guns blazing that their problem is the most important thing in the world and insisting that because it happens to them it must be global, well unfortunately that's not the case in this situation.

I have never once in this thread suggested that either of the posters saying they are having issues isn't 100% accurate in the assessment of THEIR issues, it's posters implying that because they have the issue that by default everyone has the same problem that I take issue with.
__________________
"There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."
dianebrat is online now  
Old 12-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #51
jimmypowder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
No, but I know TCF, and if streaming were as bad globally as you claim the community would be up in arms and we'd be swimming in threads about it. Had this thread been titled we wouldn't be having this discussion. PM a mod to change it and I'll walk away. Those of us that have been around a while have noticed folks coming in all guns blazing that their problem is the most important thing in the world and insisting that because it happens to them it must be global, well unfortunately that's not the case in this situation. I have never once in this thread suggested that either of the posters saying they are having issues isn't 100% accurate in the assessment of THEIR issues, it's posters implying that because they have the issue that by default everyone has the same problem that I take issue with.
Folks are not implying that streaming is a problem for the majority of users you re just making an inaccurate INTERPRETATION of those comments By the way , do you have some solutions you can provide ????? Other then the delete app , reboot Tivo and reinstall the app?
jimmypowder is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #52
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: boston'ish
Posts: 7,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypowder View Post
Folks are not implying that streaming is a problem for the majority of users you re just making an inaccurate INTERPRETATION of those comments By the way , do you have some solutions you can provide ????? Other then the delete app , reboot Tivo and reinstall the app?
I got nuffin, as I've said multiple times, my system works, I've not needed to troubleshoot it.

The only reason I've even bothered with this thread was to correct the glaring error in its title and make it clear to new posters that streaming does work and its performance is acceptable for many people.
__________________
"There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."
dianebrat is online now  
Old 12-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #53
nyctwc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneagle View Post
I too find it unreliable. Frequent disconnects even in my home.

Plus transferring programs is slow and recently several shows transferred then had errors.
I agree. I also find it very unreliable. When it works, it works. When it doesn't, I can't watch anything until I go home and reboot the Tivo, which fixes the problem. Obviously, that's not very convenient if I'm away from home for a few days and want to watch something.
nyctwc is offline  
Old 12-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #54
jimmypowder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I got nuffin, as I've said multiple times, my system works, I've not needed to troubleshoot it. The only reason I've even bothered with this thread was to correct the glaring error in its title and make it clear to new posters that streaming does work and its performance is acceptable for many people.
For "many people " ?Once again , you don't really know the answer as to how many people are having problems .

I'll ask again , do you have any possible solutions?
jimmypowder is offline  
Old 12-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #55
jimmypowder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 170
Got outside my home again this morning after resetting my Roamio plus and going through setup again on the iphone app .

The Roamio is hardwired to the router via a long cat 5 cable .

Bring up the Tivo app and it says it appears the Tivo is not connected to the internet !

Lol . A freakin joke .
jimmypowder is offline  
Old 12-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #56
jhwpbm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
There is about 100% chance it is because your Roamio is wireless. Wireless performance on the Roamio is far from perfect. I've had issues streaming to Minis over wireless (using a newer Wireless AC router and almost 100% signal strenth). Wireless can cause all kinds of issues (like interference from neighboring routers) that you can't control. Personally, I have around 20 wireless networks available to me so no matter what channel I put mine on there are going to be collisions.
Sorry I didn't make myself clear - my Roamio is on a gigabit Ethernet connection. Only my iPads are wireless (of course).
jhwpbm is offline  
Old 12-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #57
jhwpbm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwpbm View Post
Sorry I didn't make myself clear - my Roamio is on a gigabit Ethernet connection. Only my iPads are wireless (of course).
Quick update - was working this morning Not working now (a few hours later) - no changes on my Roamio, my iPad, my network, etc. Random.
jhwpbm is offline  
Old 12-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #58
the block
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 44
At least apple products are "supported". Wonder how long us Android folks are gonna have to wait.
the block is offline  
Old 12-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #59
mr_smits
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by the block View Post
At least apple products are "supported". Wonder how long us Android folks are gonna have to wait.
Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Let the iOS crew be the beta testers.
mr_smits is offline  
Old 12-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #60
Starfury9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 15
It is nice they at least announced android streaming support now! Hopefully when it comes out it will work without issues
Starfury9 is offline  
Closed Thread
Forum Jump




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |