TiVo Community
Closed Thread
Forum Jump

Old 12-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #31
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypowder View Post
Look I have 100 mbps downloads and 20 mbps UPLOAD at my house and its been pretty bad outside the home .

I set a DHCP reservation for the Tivo Roamio PLus and opened some ports
so Ive done everthing on my end. My slingbox works flawlessly and both are hardwired to my router.

I know what I'm doing with internet connectivity and the Tivo streaming aint ready for primetime.
And I have significantly lower internet service levels and my unit works fine and I deem MY performance "just fine"

I'm not saying that you don't know what you're doing, I'm not saying that you're not having issues, what I'm saying that your experience is not transferable to ALL the other streaming users.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #32
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
And I have significantly lower internet service levels and my unit works fine and I deem MY performance "just fine"

I'm not saying that you don't know what you're doing, I'm not saying that you're not having issues, what I'm saying that your experience is not transferable to ALL the other streaming users.
Perhaps it's more to do with latency and packet loss that makes the quality so poor.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #33
jimmypowder

Quote:
And I have significantly lower internet service levels and my unit works fine and I deem MY performance "just fine" I'm not saying that you don't know what you're doing, I'm not saying that you're not having issues, what I'm saying that your experience is not transferable to ALL the other streaming users.
Another thing . I have multiple times been away from home , hopped onto a friend's wifi only for the Tivo app to act as if I never setup out of home streaming , asking for email address and password . At that point your dead in the water.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:00 AM   #34
MikePA1

Quote:
Another thing . I have multiple times been away from home , hopped onto a friend's wifi only for the Tivo app to act as if I never setup out of home streaming , asking for email address and password . At that point your dead in the water.
With every additional post, you prove your OOH problems are unique to you, yet you continue to insist they're widespread and insult people who are not having problems. Perhaps you need a timeout.

For the second time in three weeks, I've used the WiFi in the same hotel in Pittsburgh to watch episodes of NCIS-LA, NCIS and Blacklist on my iPad.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #35
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePA1 View Post
With every additional post, you prove your OOH problems are unique to you, yet you continue to insist they're widespread and insult people who are not having problems. Perhaps you need a timeout. For the second time in three weeks, I've used the WiFi in the same hotel in Pittsburgh to watch episodes of NCIS-LA, NCIS and Blacklist on my iPad.
I never say in any of my posts the issue is widespread because I don't have the answer to this . Please provide me with my quote where I say it's widespread . You won't find it . The reviews at the Apple Stire certainly reflect there are others with issues . Tivo streaming out of home in my experience is garbage . In fact I just bought a Slingbox I was so disappointed with it.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #36
sneagle
Addicted Member

Quote:
This happened to me once. My guess is it was during the TiVo network issues.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #37
jimmypowder

[quote="sneagle;9923434"] This happened to me once. My guess is it was during the TiVo network issues.[/

They just had the network down recently, again . For a long period of time . Never use to happen but I've seen the C133 message 6-8 times or so in a two month time period
Old 12-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #38
jimmypowder

C133 messages up the kazoo too . Probably dozen of them in two months . That renders the app useless as well .

I should have bought a basic Roamio with no stream .

The TiVo streaming is so buggy it convinced me to buy a Slingbox , which works great and will be what I use outside the home .
Old 12-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #39
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
C133 messages up the kazoo too . Probably dozen of them in two months . That renders the app useless as well .

I should have bought a basic Roamio with no stream .

The TiVo streaming is so buggy it convinced me to buy a Slingbox , which works great and will be what I use outside the home .
What is your evidence that more than one bug exists, and that the single bug is not sparked by YOUR particular environment (your router, your ISP, your LAN)?

Despite your denials, you are make unsubstantiated general claims about the software (that works for most people much better than it works for you). You can't claim it is "so buggy" without evidence that numerous bugs exist, and you haven't done so. You can't claim that streaming is not ready for prime time without showing that the problems exist for numerous people other than you (are wide-spread). TiVo would certainly be considered ready for prime time if you were the only person having problems; the world does not revolve around your problems, as I'm sure you will agree. So you are making claims about how wide-spread the problems are and at the same time denying this fact.

Let's get a figure out of you. What percentage of folks have to have problems that make it unusable for you to consider the software not ready for prime time?
Old 12-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #40
jimmypowder

Just got outside the home again .. Just this second . All the watch buttons are greyed out... Again Lol .

Dead in the water

Last edited by jimmypowder : 12-08-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #41
gbruyn

How about the people that it's working for just AVOID this thread? Why even look at this thread if it's working great for you. Go enjoy your Tivo experience and let the people who are having problems try and get to the bottom of the issue.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #42
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruyn View Post
How about the people that it's working for just AVOID this thread? Why even look at this thread if it's working great for you. Go enjoy your Tivo experience and let the people who are having problems try and get to the bottom of the issue.
Agree completely .
Old 12-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #43
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruyn View Post
Quote:
Agree completely .
Because the subject line is WRONG.. and a new user coming in to the thread should know that the issue is for some users, not ALL users, and it's certainly not a majority of users.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #44
jhwpbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
IMO, the problem is with the app on your device. Have you deleted the app, rebooted the device, installed the app, and set it up again?

Your network would have nothing to do with the app reporting the MAK is invalid.
Yep, several times. Get the same issue on two different iPads - works one minute, not the next. Very frustrating.

TiVo support says it's my network, then says I should connect the Roamio via Ethernet because my wireless is not up to snuff (I'm connected at 450Mbps, 98% signal strength), then it "might" work better if both devices were on wireless instead of one via Ethernet and the iPad via wireless, etc. - i.e., they don't know what's going on, either.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #45
TC25D

All my TiVo devices (Roamio, Mini and Stream) are on the same Ethernet network.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #46
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwpbm View Post
Yep, several times. Get the same issue on two different iPads - works one minute, not the next. Very frustrating.

TiVo support says it's my network, then says I should connect the Roamio via Ethernet because my wireless is not up to snuff (I'm connected at 450Mbps, 98% signal strength), then it "might" work better if both devices were on wireless instead of one via Ethernet and the iPad via wireless, etc. - i.e., they don't know what's going on, either.
There is about 100% chance it is because your Roamio is wireless. Wireless performance on the Roamio is far from perfect. I've had issues streaming to Minis over wireless (using a newer Wireless AC router and almost 100% signal strenth). Wireless can cause all kinds of issues (like interference from neighboring routers) that you can't control. Personally, I have around 20 wireless networks available to me so no matter what channel I put mine on there are going to be collisions.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #47
jimmypowder

Quote:
Because the subject line is WRONG.. and a new user coming in to the thread should know that the issue is for some users, not ALL users, and it's certainly not a majority of users.
You don't know the extent of the streaming problems either unless you work for Tivo .
Old 12-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #48
jimmypowder

Quote:
Yep, several times. Get the same issue on two different iPads - works one minute, not the next. Very frustrating. TiVo support says it's my network, then says I should connect the Roamio via Ethernet because my wireless is not up to snuff (I'm connected at 450Mbps, 98% signal strength), then it "might" work better if both devices were on wireless instead of one via Ethernet and the iPad via wireless, etc. - i.e., they don't know what's going on, either.
I am using a wired connection ,done all the troubleshooting steps,still doesn't work .
Old 12-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #49
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
There is about 100% chance it is because your Roamio is wireless. Wireless performance on the Roamio is far from perfect. I've had issues streaming to Minis over wireless (using a newer Wireless AC router and almost 100% signal strenth). Wireless can cause all kinds of issues (like interference from neighboring routers) that you can't control. Personally, I have around 20 wireless networks available to me so no matter what channel I put mine on there are going to be collisions.
I am using a wired connection ,not wireless and still have major problems with out of home streaming .even after all the troubleshooting tips .
Old 12-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #50
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Quote:
You don't know the extent of the streaming problems either unless you work for Tivo .
No, but I know TCF, and if streaming were as bad globally as you claim the community would be up in arms and we'd be swimming in threads about it.
Had this thread been titled
Quote:
At this point... my OOH Streaming is Pretty Much UNUSABLE
we wouldn't be having this discussion. PM a mod to change it and I'll walk away.

Those of us that have been around a while have noticed folks coming in all guns blazing that their problem is the most important thing in the world and insisting that because it happens to them it must be global, well unfortunately that's not the case in this situation.

I have never once in this thread suggested that either of the posters saying they are having issues isn't 100% accurate in the assessment of THEIR issues, it's posters implying that because they have the issue that by default everyone has the same problem that I take issue with.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #51
jimmypowder

Quote:
No, but I know TCF, and if streaming were as bad globally as you claim the community would be up in arms and we'd be swimming in threads about it. Had this thread been titled we wouldn't be having this discussion. PM a mod to change it and I'll walk away. Those of us that have been around a while have noticed folks coming in all guns blazing that their problem is the most important thing in the world and insisting that because it happens to them it must be global, well unfortunately that's not the case in this situation. I have never once in this thread suggested that either of the posters saying they are having issues isn't 100% accurate in the assessment of THEIR issues, it's posters implying that because they have the issue that by default everyone has the same problem that I take issue with.
Folks are not implying that streaming is a problem for the majority of users you re just making an inaccurate INTERPRETATION of those comments By the way , do you have some solutions you can provide ????? Other then the delete app , reboot Tivo and reinstall the app?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #52
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Folks are not implying that streaming is a problem for the majority of users you re just making an inaccurate INTERPRETATION of those comments By the way , do you have some solutions you can provide ????? Other then the delete app , reboot Tivo and reinstall the app?
I got nuffin, as I've said multiple times, my system works, I've not needed to troubleshoot it.

The only reason I've even bothered with this thread was to correct the glaring error in its title and make it clear to new posters that streaming does work and its performance is acceptable for many people.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #53
nyctwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneagle View Post
I too find it unreliable. Frequent disconnects even in my home.

Plus transferring programs is slow and recently several shows transferred then had errors.
I agree. I also find it very unreliable. When it works, it works. When it doesn't, I can't watch anything until I go home and reboot the Tivo, which fixes the problem. Obviously, that's not very convenient if I'm away from home for a few days and want to watch something.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #54
jimmypowder

Quote:
I got nuffin, as I've said multiple times, my system works, I've not needed to troubleshoot it. The only reason I've even bothered with this thread was to correct the glaring error in its title and make it clear to new posters that streaming does work and its performance is acceptable for many people.
For "many people " ?Once again , you don't really know the answer as to how many people are having problems .

I'll ask again , do you have any possible solutions?
Old 12-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #55
jimmypowder

Got outside my home again this morning after resetting my Roamio plus and going through setup again on the iphone app .

The Roamio is hardwired to the router via a long cat 5 cable .

Bring up the Tivo app and it says it appears the Tivo is not connected to the internet !

Lol . A freakin joke .
Old 12-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #56
jhwpbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Sorry I didn't make myself clear - my Roamio is on a gigabit Ethernet connection. Only my iPads are wireless (of course).
Old 12-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #57
jhwpbm

Quote:
Sorry I didn't make myself clear - my Roamio is on a gigabit Ethernet connection. Only my iPads are wireless (of course).
Quick update - was working this morning Not working now (a few hours later) - no changes on my Roamio, my iPad, my network, etc. Random.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #58
the block

At least apple products are "supported". Wonder how long us Android folks are gonna have to wait.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #59
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by the block View Post
At least apple products are "supported". Wonder how long us Android folks are gonna have to wait.
Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Let the iOS crew be the beta testers.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #60
Starfury9

It is nice they at least announced android streaming support now! Hopefully when it comes out it will work without issues
Closed Thread