TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Closed Thread
Forum Jump

Old 11-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
gbruyn

At this point... OOH Streaming is Pretty Much UNUSABLE

Was hoping the latest iOS update fixed some of the "issues" that they said it did, but I'm having the same problem I've had in the past. At times, my Streaming device on my Roamio Plus just stops working and can't be found. This happens when I'm away from home in another city where I can do really anything after this happens. It was streaming fine for a bit, then stopped and I tried to reload the stream. Now it's stuck with "Can't find streaming device."

... Work in Progress I guess
Old 11-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Andrel

Does your roamio get the error c133? Mine does that and I need to disconnect and re coneect my network cable.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
gbruyn

No I'm not getting that error.

... as an update to my first post: I tried streaming setup 10-15 minutes later and it found it. Now it seems to be working again. Who knows.

On another note, I saw on Tivo's page that they are actually using a PROXY for OOH streaming. I'm sure that extra "Layer" of a connection isn't helping with the speed and connectivity of everything. It does say on their website that a future update will allow you to directly connect to your Tivo box.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruyn View Post
No I'm not getting that error.

... as an update to my first post: I tried streaming setup 10-15 minutes later and it found it. Now it seems to be working again. Who knows.

On another note, I saw on Tivo's page that they are actually using a PROXY for OOH streaming. I'm sure that extra "Layer" of a connection isn't helping with the speed and connectivity of everything. It does say on their website that a future update will allow you to directly connect to your Tivo box.
In the iOS app, you can enable port forwarding. I haven't messed with it though. I had an issue where when I was away the power went out. I was never able to connect to OOH services after that.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooper View Post
In the iOS app, you can enable port forwarding. I haven't messed with it though. I had an issue where when I was away the power went out. I was never able to connect to OOH services after that.
where on the ios app can you enable port forwarding? .I don't see it.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypowder View Post
where on the ios app can you enable port forwarding? .I don't see it.
Press Settings Icon or goto settings on iphone app
Press System Information
Press Full System Information

At this point it has loaded a webpage. The third button down is labeled Out-of-Home

Press that and you see the port forwarding info and the GLIDE proxy info
Old 11-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooper View Post
Press Settings Icon or goto settings on iphone app
Press System Information
Press Full System Information

At this point it has loaded a webpage. The third button down is labeled Out-of-Home

Press that and you see the port forwarding info and the GLIDE proxy info
Thanks for the info. I tried to checkmark port forwarding and test it .

This function must not be operational at this point. It would not accept a checkmark.

I have gone into the router to do this at this point

I still am having lots of problems with streaming outside the home. It just doesn't work reliably at this point.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
I still am having lots of problems with streaming outside the home. It just doesn't work reliably at this point.
It's not the process itself, there's got to be something in your loops of devices making it worse. (I know, I'm not a lot of help)

I routinely stream to the gym wifi when I'm at work and I get a consistent stream experience to my iphone 5.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
MikePA1

Quote:
Was hoping the latest iOS update fixed some of the "issues" that they said it did, but I'm having the same problem I've had in the past. At times, my Streaming device on my Roamio Plus just stops working and can't be found. This happens when I'm away from home in another city where I can do really anything after this happens. It was streaming fine for a bit, then stopped and I tried to reload the stream. Now it's stuck with "Can't find streaming device."
I streamed at a Wyndham hotel last week. This is not a Stream or iPad app issue.

Look within you own network, grasshopper.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
gbruyn

Trust me. I'm an IT professional and know it's not on my end. I travel every week for work and thus have many more opportunities to use this and see the issues... Sometimes it does work. But many times I have issues

... Grasshopper
Old 11-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
It's not the process itself, there's got to be something in your loops of devices making it worse. (I know, I'm not a lot of help)

I routinely stream to the gym wifi when I'm at work and I get a consistent stream experience to my iphone 5.

I have multiple times setup my iphone to stream and when I get outside the home ,all the stream buttons are grayed out as if I never set it up .

I have a Roamio plus connected via Ethernet cable with 20mbps upload speed!

I have opened ports / setup DHCP reservation for the Roamio on my Apple Extreme a/c router

I cannot so anything more then that .

Streaming is still not reliable at this point
Old 11-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
jimmypowder

Quote:
Trust me. I'm an IT professional and know it's not on my end. I travel every week for work and thus have many more opportunities to use this and see the issues... Sometimes it does work. But many times I have issues

... Grasshopper

I know your telling the truth. The streaming is not ready for prime time
Old 11-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePA1 View Post
I streamed at a Wyndham hotel last week. This is not a Stream or iPad app issue.

Completely disagree
Old 11-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #14
hooper

Quote:

I think you mean you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

I have had a slingbox since the original. When the streaming (actually downloading) functionality stopped working for me last week on the roamio, I switched over the slingbox and had no issues.

I actually prefer the download functionality over streaming, especially now that it doesn't time out out of home. The AV quality is really good. Almost all my travel use cases except sports work with download.... almost.

The Roamio/Stream network control is a black box. We have no ability to override or troubleshoot, even if you could VPN or SSH into your home network. If it doesn't work, you are SOL for the most part.

As I posted earlier, it looks like Tivo is going to enable some port forwarding action going forward. So that should help A LOT!
Old 11-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #15
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Streaming is still not reliable at this point
that needs the qualifier of "for you"
For myself and others, streaming OOH has been reliable and usable, it's not always the best quality, but it works very well for some of us.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #16
sneagle
Addicted Member

I too find it unreliable. Frequent disconnects even in my home.

Plus transferring programs is slow and recently several shows transferred then had errors.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:22 AM   #17
MikePA1

Quote:
For myself and others, streaming OOH has been reliable and usable, it's not always the best quality, but it works very well for some of us.
Agree.

Gotta give people the Hubris Award who think because they are having a problem, everyone else must be having the same problem or start threads with titles that assume the same. Oh, and since they're an 'IT expert' or it works with other hardware and different technology, it must be TiVo's problem. :roll eyes:

P.S.
The Hubris Award with Oak Cluster will be given in a post or two when the person takes offense at the possibility of there being ANY problem with their home network and I am accused of being a TiVo FanBoy.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:37 AM   #18
jimmypowder

Quote:
Agree. Gotta give people the Hubris Award who think because they are having a problem, everyone else must be having the same problem or start threads with titles that assume the same. Oh, and since they're an 'IT expert' or it works with other hardware and different technology, it must be TiVo's problem. :roll eyes: P.S. The Hubris Award with Oak Cluster will be given in a post or two when the person takes offense at the possibility of there being ANY problem with their home network and I am accused of being a TiVo FanBoy.
Funny thing is the Monsoon Vulkano I use to stream video outside the house , which is connected wirelessly to my router , unlike the Roamio which is hard wired ! , works just fine .
Old 11-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #19
moyekj

Both my Slingbox and internal Roamio Pro Stream work out of home. Streaming video quality for the Stream compared to Slingbox over same WiFi connection is terrible, so I use downloads @medium quality instead and now with latest iOS App that is working well for me. My ISP upstream speed is just 2 Mbps. Oddly enough it from many posts I've seen here so far it almost appears that those with 20+ Mbps upload speeds (FIOS) are having more trouble than others.

Perhaps Stream having to go through a TiVo Proxy server may explain why some are having trouble while others are not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #20
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Both my Slingbox and internal Roamio Pro Stream work out of home. Streaming video quality for the Stream compared to Slingbox over same WiFi connection is terrible, so I use downloads @medium quality instead and now with latest iOS App that is working well for me. My ISP upstream speed is just 2 Mbps. Oddly enough it from many posts I've seen here so far it almost appears that those with 20+ Mbps upload speeds (FIOS) are having more trouble than others.

Perhaps Stream having to go through a TiVo Proxy server may explain why some are having trouble while others are not.
Yes going through a proxy server is not ideal .The sooner we can connect direct ,the better.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #21
mburnno

Quote:
I know your telling the truth. The streaming is not ready for prime time
I would have to agree with you on this one. I have never gotten the stream to work even in the house. I see all the buttons and the app even knows I have two roamio's but when you go to set it up it just fails. I never had this happen with the premieres with the add on stream. I still think TIVO has a ways to go to make this a solid product. It may work for some of us but not for me.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #22
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quality when it works is fantastic...

I pretty consistently loose connectivity to the stream during playback, both inside and outside the home.

Sometimes it seems the connection is easily reestablished, other times I have to rerun setup. If I am out of the home and it looses connection - I am done until I am back at home and can re-run the setup procedures.

It almost seems like the stream is recycling for some reason...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
Old 11-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #23
tomhorsley

Well, I can definitely report that streaming works better to an iPad than it does to a Nexus 7 :-).
Old 11-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #24
dmaneyapanda

My experiences trying to stream OOH so far this holiday weekend have been poor.

While streaming, I rarely get above 2 dots on the quality meter, and even then it was frequently pausing for tens of seconds to re-buffer. Completely unwatchable.

So I switched to downloading content. I queued up 7 hour long shows that I thought I might want to watch at some point this weekend, plugged my ipad in for power, covered up the screen with a book so it wouldn't keep me awake, then went to bed.

Waking up the next morning, 1+ show had downloaded before some blip knocked the connection offline. So I spent the next day babysitting the download. I had to restart the download process 2 or 3 more times during this period. And speed was terrible - it would routinely take 2 hours to download a 1 hour HD show in Best quality. This is not a user friendly experience.

Speedtest shows 15M down at my viewing location and on my viewing device, and 5-10M up from my home network. So I don't think LAN or WAN bandwidth at either endpoint was the issue.

Suggestions for improvement:
* Fix streaming quality. Eliminate the proxy, allow direct connects.
* Once apple allows it, allow downloading to happen while the app is in the background and/or overnight without the screen being on
* Once apple allows it, allow downloading and streaming via LTE
* Should have some way to set a default quality when you're downloading. Having to switch each new request to High is annoying.
* Dramatically improve the app's capability to automatically resume queued downloads after a momentary blip in network connectivity
* Correct the draconian policy of not allowing streaming or downloading of copy once material to devices. I've read that other digital devices (not to mention SlingBox) are not this strict about implementation; assuming that is true, TiVo may have some leeway here, especially for streaming (which is the ideal usage anyway, if quality/bandwidth issues can be corrected). I'm lucky in that I have Comcast, so my regular network shows are available to me OOH. But none of the pay channels are, obviously.

[edit: I just tested streaming again now, and am getting 4-5 of 7 dots on quality. So maybe it was just a transient issue that evening, but hard to say for sure.]

Last edited by dmaneyapanda : 11-29-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #25
beobuff

I finally got around to trying OOH streaming, and it worked fairly well for me. After the initial buffering, the streamed content ran without a hitch to both a first-gen iPad and an iPhone 5. The video image was acceptable, with four quality dots out of seven. 30 second fast forward was a bit sluggish, taking about five seconds to get through the 30 secs, but certainly preferable to suffering through the commercials. Perhaps it was also my imagination, but the audio quality also seemed to be of somewhat lower quality, compared to downloaded and stored programs I brought from home. Anyone bothered by the lower video and audio quality can always download the programs for later viewing.
Tivo HD XL (for sale)
Tivo HD (for sale)
LG LST-3410A
Old 11-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #26
gbruyn

I'm still having problems with both downloads and streaming when away from home. In home, everything seems to work great.

Last night, I tried downloading a 30 minute show. It failed the download 4-5 times. One time after it failed, I tried to restart and then it couldn't find the stream. I had to stop the Tivo App, re-signin and then setup the streaming again.

My Roamio Plus is wired to a higher end Linksys E3000 router (gigabit connection) and is assigned a static IP. My internet connection rarely has any issues and I consistently get 35 down and 5 up.

When I last talked to Tivo about this issue a few weeks ago, they admitted there were problems and they were "looking into it". I was hoping that the app update fixed some of these issues but it hasn't. My only hope is that the PROXY SERVER on Tivo's end is causing issues for some of us. I'm looking forward to when they switch the switch on for direct connection to our boxes.

Until then, I'll live with the half-baked and frustrating experience. If anyone else has any suggestions on what other steps I can take, I'm all ears!

Last edited by gbruyn : 11-30-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #27
jimmypowder

Quote:
I'm still having problems with both downloads and streaming when away from home. In home, everything seems to work great.

Last night, I tried downloading a 30 minute show. It failed the download 4-5 times. One time after it failed, I tried to restart and then it couldn't find the stream. I had to stop the Tivo App, re-signin and then setup the streaming again.

My Roamio Plus is wired to a higher end Linksys E3000 router (gigabit connection) and is assigned a static IP. My internet connection rarely has any issues and I consistently get 35 down and 5 up.

When I last talked to Tivo about this issue a few weeks ago, they admitted there were problems and they were "looking into it". I was hoping that the app update fixed some of these issues but it hasn't. My only hope is that the PROXY SERVER on Tivo's end is causing issues for some of us. I'm looking forward to when they switch the switch on for direct connection to our boxes.

Until then, I'll live with the half-baked and frustrating experience. If anyone else has any suggestions on what other steps I can take, I'm all ears!
The streaming is so bad outside the home that it convinced me to buy a Slingbox 350 for 120 bucks on Amazon,hard wired it and attached to my Roamio and it works great.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #28
jimmypowder

Quote:
Look I have 100 mbps downloads and 20 mbps UPLOAD at my house and its been pretty bad outside the home .

I set a DHCP reservation for the Tivo Roamio PLus and opened some ports
so Ive done everthing on my end. My slingbox works flawlessly and both are hardwired to my router.

I know what I'm doing with internet connectivity and the Tivo streaming aint ready for primetime.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #29
moyekj

Quote:
The streaming is so bad outside the home that it convinced me to buy a Slingbox 350 for 120 bucks on Amazon,hard wired it and attached to my Roamio and it works great.
Agreed, for streaming Slingbox is orders of magnitude better. Perhaps if/when TiVo eliminates the need for a Proxy things will improve, but I doubt it will ever be as good as Slingbox for streaming. The only problem I have with it is very laggy controls. What works well for me lately is using iOS App download and then watching while downloading. That way you get instant response to trick play functions and if you have a good connection you don't have to let the download buffer very long before you can start watching without interruption.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #30
MikePA1

Quote:
Look I have 100 mbps downloads and 20 mbps UPLOAD at my house and its been pretty bad outside the home .

I set a DHCP reservation for the Tivo Roamio PLus and opened some ports
so Ive done everthing on my end. My slingbox works flawlessly and both are hardwired to my router.

I know what I'm doing with internet connectivity and the Tivo streaming aint ready for primetime.
So you're calling dianebrat,and me, liars. Classy.
Closed Thread