TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
aaronwt
HD Addict

Wireless speeds from Roamio Basic

What kind of wireless speeds are people seeing from the Roamio Basic? I just received a TiVo wireless N adapter off ebay and tried it out with my Premiere. It's giving me 92Mb/s transfer rates from my Roamio Pro which is very good. I should have picked one up sooner. But I had ordered this before I ordered a Roamio basic. So my plan now is to get a second Wireless N adapter and hook up both of my GFs S3 boxes to it. Unless the speeds from the Roamio Basic wireless aren't very good.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

SO I've been checking out my Roamio Basic wireless speeds. I was hoping that it would have been setup to exceed the 100Mb/s connection rate that the wired connection gets. I can get a 300Mb/s link over wireless N which for a capable device means it could max out at 150Mb/s.

But it seems like the wireless interface is limited to the same speeds as the 100BT Ethernet port. The fastest transfer rates I've seen over the wireless connection(5GHz) has been 92Mb/s. Which is the same speed achieved over the wired connection.

I know with some of my other devices I can hit 150Mb/s throughput but still this is a decent transfer rate. Just not like the 180Mb/s+ transfer rates that the Roamio Pro gets over it's GigE connection. Although I have not tested the wireless speeds on my Roamio Pro since I only use the wired connection.

I guess I had hoped for faster transfer rates since with the TiVo wireless N adapter on my Premiere I also get 92Mb/s transfer rates. So I had hoped with the internal wireless of the Roamio Basic it would have been faster.

But at least using the Wireless N connection on the Roamio Basic it has zero issues streaming shows to four devices concurrently. So the wireless connection seems rock solid.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:25 AM   #3
Devx

That would seem to suggest that the wireless is tied in to the Ethernet rather than separate. I've only used my Plus and Pro on wired connections but it would be interesting to see if they share the same speed limitation on wireless. If my theory is right they should not, otherwise it means the limitation must be in Tivo's wireless implementation.

Another thought, do we know if Tivo has multiple antennas and can hit 300 Mbps or only 150Mbps on wireless? That could be another reason for the transfer speed limitation.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
RusRus

I'll be getting my Roamio Basic Monday. I have wired Ethernet cable now to my HD DVR. How do I measue the throughput for wired and wireless?
RusRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
That would seem to suggest that the wireless is tied in to the Ethernet rather than separate. I've only used my Plus and Pro on wired connections but it would be interesting to see if they share the same speed limitation on wireless. If my theory is right they should not, otherwise it means the limitation must be in Tivo's wireless implementation.

Another thought, do we know if Tivo has multiple antennas and can hit 300 Mbps or only 150Mbps on wireless? That could be another reason for the transfer speed limitation.
It should have multiple antennas since I see a connection rate of 300Mb/s(But that is also the max connection speed that my APs support). But with a connection rate of 300, the max possible speed is around 150Mb/s since it is typically around half of the connection rate.