TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Wireless Headphones with a Roamio

I used to use a pair of Sony wireless headphones with my old Premiere. I had to pull the red and white RCA cables out of the Premiere and plug in the headphones when I wanted to use them. It wasn't the most elegant solution but it worked.

I got a new Roamio for Christmas and I have no place to plug the headphones in. Any suggestions on how I can use wireless headphones?
Old 12-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Cryptotech

The yellow composite jack on the back of the Roamio basic provides composite video AND Left and Right analog audio. An A/V breakout cable is available from tivo for $14.99 or you can make/modify or obtain a breakout from other sources. See this Tivo Mini thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=502081
Cryptotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

My Roamio is connected to the TV via HDMI. I tried the composite jack already and it didn't work. Is this because the audio is coming via the HDMI?

My apologies if these are stupid questions. I am not at all familiar with this.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
gkottner

Maybe you've already checked this, but does your TV have analog audio out ports? I've got a 2007ish Hitachi that has them. My Roamio is connected through HDMI and I can listen to my wireless headphones with the output from the analog audio out.
gkottner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
Cryptotech

The composite A/V output should work concurrently with HDMI. The wiring of the jack is non-standard so an off-the-shelf audio cable (only red and white RCA plugs to 3.5mm mini plug) will probably NOT work. If you haven't already, carefully read the thread about the A/V wiring linked in my previous post and again here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=502081

Last edited by Cryptotech : 12-27-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Cryptotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptotech View Post
The composite A/V output should work concurrently with HDMI. The wiring of the jack is non-standard so an off-the-shelf audio cable (only red and white RCA plugs to 3/8" mini plug) will probably NOT work. If you haven't already, carefully read the thread about the A/V wiring linked in my previous post and again here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=502081
Ah. That makes sense. I will pick up one of those cables.