TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
lejman

Series 3 Purchase-OTA

I know the Series 3 is old, but is it worth buying still for OTA use. I am getting it for $240 this insides a lifetime subscription. Thanks!
lejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejman View Post
I know the Series 3 is old, but is it worth buying still for OTA use. I am getting it for $240 this insides a lifetime subscription. Thanks!
Real good OTA tuner. Very good, dependable unit after power supply capacitor fix, should last a long time with periodic hard drive replacements. Not a terrible price at this instant but the trend is dropping rapidly.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

I think I saw that the price had come down to $200 on eBay lately for the same lifetime Tivo.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

No one has asked which Series Three model (648, 652 or 658). Or don't the answers depend on the specific model at all? AFAIK, the oldest model (648, OLED S3) has about 10% greater TTG transfer speeds and perhaps very slightly better OTA tuner sensitivity -- however all those models have good OTA tuners. However the 648 models will be 1 to 3 years older than the other two, so you have to make your own judgement about how much that matters. The comments about power supply issues etc., apply equally to all models. Judging by posts on this forum, power supply and HDD failures comprise 99% of all the failures. Both failures can be handled at reasonable cost if you are at all DIY minded --- help is available on this forum. If you are shrink wrap-minded, either failure could cost you about the same as you paid for the unit on eBay.

Strong recommendation: Do not buy a system that uses an expander drive. Just asking for reliability problems there.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejman View Post
I have a lifetimed Series 3 HD (TCD652160) whose 2 OTA tuners work just fine, as does one but not both of the cable tuners, which I'll sell you for less than that.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I have a lifetimed Series 3 HD (TCD652160) whose 2 OTA tuners work just fine, as does one but not both of the cable tuners, which I'll sell you for less than that.
OK, How much?
1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Ed_Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote