TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
WacoJohn

Tivo Box from Internet Provider

My device:

DVR 0AE5
746-0001-9098-0AE5
Grande Premiere 320hr (Internet and Tivo box provider)

Objective:
Xfer selected files from PC to Tivo.

According to Grande, I cannot do that. According to TIVO, I can if I purchase 'Home Network" with Desktop PLUS for $99.

However ... I just NOW found this:

Quote:
If you have downloaded videos from the Internet in any of the following formats, you can use TiVo Desktop Plus software for the PC to transfer them to your network-connected TiVoŽ box to view them on your TV:

Windows Media Video (.wmv)
QuickTime Movie (.mov)
MPEG-4/H.264 (.mp4, .m4v, .mp4v)
MPEG-2 (.mpg, .mpeg, .mpe, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpv2)
DivX or Xvid (.avi, .divx, encoded with the DivX codec, version 4 or higher, or with the Xvid codec. No other video formats are supported within .AVI files.)
Desktop can also recognize additional types of video, such as .mkv, based on other software installed on your system.
which, at this time is $15.

Thing is .. will either of these options work with a Tivo Box provided from a 'provider' ... i.e. Grande???

Thanks, anyone .... in advance.

Edit: Grande Customer Service could not answer the question. Brilliant.

Last edited by WacoJohn : 11-20-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: more info
WacoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
pmiranda

Install PyTiVo and try it for free
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
WacoJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
Install PyTiVo and try it for free
Very well may do just that. Thank you.

Would prefer a $15 solution through Tivo Desktop Plus ... if it will work.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
unitron

Something else you could try is to install the free version of Desktop

http://assets.tivo.com/assets/exe/ti...sktop2.8.3.exe

and then install the patch

http://www.tivo.com/tivo-assets/exe/...atch-setup.exe

that solves the "expired cookie" problem from last February, and then put some of those files on the PC which you want on the TiVo into the My TiVo Recordings folder which the installation of 2.8.3 will create, and then see if the TiVo can see anything inside the folder at the bottom of your Now Playing List that will have the name of the PC.

It'll have the name of the PC, but it's really just the MTR folder on that PC.

Supposedly the free version of Desktop and Windows 8 aren't compatible, but I think that's just a matter of Windows 8 not having the software (which is from a 3rd party which got paid for it by Microsoft up through Windows 7 but not anymore) to let you use Windows Media Player to watch .tivo files on the PC, but your goal here isn't to watch them on the PC, so that shouldn't be an immediate problem or interfere in the "can I see them in my NPL" experiment.

If you can see them on the TiVo, try transferring one to the TiVo by telling the TiVo to transfer it--i.e., "pull" it to the TiVo, and if it does, try playing it on the TiVo.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
WacoJohn

Well, .. here is what I have learned. Tivo Desktop will NOT put to the Tivo. It will only GET. Tivo Desktop PLUS ($15 from Tivo website as of 11/21/13) does. I have been putting .mpg files and watching them on the Tivo/TV ever since. Plus works on Tivo Boxes whether they are provided directly from Tivo or from a 3rd party provider.

Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoJohn View Post
Well, .. here is what I have learned. Tivo Desktop will NOT put to the Tivo. It will only GET. Tivo Desktop PLUS ($15 from Tivo website as of 11/21/13) does. I have been putting .mpg files and watching them on the Tivo/TV ever since. Plus works on Tivo Boxes whether they are provided directly from Tivo or from a 3rd party provider.

Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.
Did you try it the way I suggested with the free version to see if putting those other files that don't end in .tivo into the MTR folder were visible on the TiVo?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
WacoJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Did you try it the way I suggested with the free version to see if putting those other files that don't end in .tivo into the MTR folder were visible on the TiVo?
Since I upgraded to +, I can't remember exactly how the free refused, but whatever it was, it would not xfer anything. I was told by the provider's support, ... can NOT put to the box (with free at least). Went to Tivo and they said with + it will. Since then, I have only tried .mpg.

I put an mp4 in MTR folder, and + is telling me it cannot be xfr'd and might be copy protected ... but it looks to me like it is xferring. TV screen says it is transferring ... shows Duration, but seems to be perpetually xferring.

Going to abort xfer .... convert mp4 to mpg and see what happens. Will come back here and let you know.

EDIT:
MP4 would not xfer because drive was full (I am kinda new to this). It's too late for me to continue. If anyone needs more info, reply ... otherwise, I consider this thread resolved. Thank you all again.

Last edited by WacoJohn : 11-22-2013 at 12:37 AM.