TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
FilmCritic3000

Thumbs up MSTies Rejoice! The ‘Mystery Science Theater 3000′ Tradition Turkey Day Is Back!

This is awesome!

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/11/18/ms...52018720720937

Quote:
There are a handful of unimpeachable Thanksgiving institutions. Multi-thousand calorie meals? Of course. Football games featuring the Lions and Cowboys? Naturally. Parades? You bet. Watching hypnotically wonderful marathons of*Mystery Science Theater 3000? Unfortunately, not since 1997. Of course, that all changes this Thanksgiving. EW is pleased to announce that*MST3K*creator Joel Hodgson is hopping on board the Satellite of Love once again to program the return of Turkey Day. Shout! Factory, who have been doing a stellar job putting out*MST3K*on DVD, is helping to celebrate the show’s 25th anniversary with a Turkey Day Marathon, curated and hosted by Hodgson.

Beginning at Noon Eastern on Thanksgiving Day, fans will be able to*log on to MST3KTurkeyDay.com*for six glorious, classic, Sampo-filled episodes of*Mystery Science Theater 3000.But which classic turkeys will get basted by Joel, Mike, Crow, and Tom Servo on Thanksgiving Day? That’s up to the fans.Hodgson is going to be*taking fan suggestions via his Twitter, so hit him up to sound off on whether*Manos: The Hands of Fate*is more harrowing than*Jungle Goddess, or cast your vote on whichever*Gamera*movie you think is the most Thanksgiving-centric. It’s up to you, so give him a shout!

The first Turkey Day was all the way back in 1991, when the Comedy Channel was making its transition into Comedy Central. The network suggested the idea of the marathon, and Hodgson and his team happily obliged with*a ton of classic sketches. What Hodgson didn’t realize was that this tradition would continue for years—even long after*MST3K*left the airwaves. “When I started doing*Cinematic Titanic*six years ago and we started doing live shows, that’s when I really met these people who love*Mystery Science Theater,” Hodgson told EW.*”I’d hear all these stories about Turkey Day. People would say, ‘Yeah, we still watch*Mystery Science Theater*on Thanksgiving. It’s a tradition, like the Lions playing.’ I was kind of amazed that it was in people’s lives like that.”

Hodgson will be programming, hosting, and testing your*MST3K*knowledge during the Turkey Day bonanza, and he has enjoyed diving back into the series’ 198 episodes. “It’s really been interesting, and I really loved getting to go back and look at these shows, especially the Mike/Kevin/Bill episodes, which I’m not as familiar with,” Hodgson said. “They’ve been extra funny because I don’t know any of the jokes. That’s been a really cool thing.” He does, however, bemoan the lack of Thanksgiving-centric monster movies available for riffing purposes. “A giant turkey would really fit in the lexicon of things like Gamera. You have Gyaos and Godzilla, Rodan, and Turkathon. Actual turkeys are horrifying. Their temperament is terrible, and they’re just tall enough to go for your crotch. And they seem to have a genetic predisposition to go for your crotch. They’re also really stupid, right? They’re famous for being stupid and delicious. That’s exactly what you want.”

So*send your Turkey Day suggestions and favorite*MST3K-related Thanksgiving memories to Hodgson, get your bird in the oven early and then*log on to the websitestarting at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific for the epic return of Turkey Day. For more MST3K*and to celebrate Turkey Month,*hit up*Shout! Factory*on*Twitter*andFacebook.*And, as always,*watch out for snakes!

Old 11-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Cool, but I'll be greedy and wish it were a full reunion with the bots, Dr. Forrester, TV's Frank, and filmed on a reproduction of the SoL set.

I'll take what I can get though.

ETA: And yes, I know it would be extremely unlikely to have a reunion. "Cinematic Titanic" just broke up because they began to find it ridiculously difficult to continue to get the team together.

Last edited by LoadStar : 11-20-2013 at 04:55 PM.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Giant Gila Monster. All the way.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Michael S

Also yesterday netflix added 5 more episodes to instant.
Michael S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
FilmCritic3000

http://www.mst3kturkeyday.com/mst3k/marathon.html

It has begun! The tradition begins anew!
Old 11-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
cannonz

I would like to see TISCWSTLABMUZ.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
danterner
Not it!

Joel just did an AMA on Reddit that was pretty fun to read

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...stery_science/

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote