TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
abckids

Premiere not connecting after service update...

My Premiere has not connected to the Tivo service since 11/14 which I believe was the day that it downloaded the service update. I've spent hours with Tivo chat support, rebooting and resetting and still no dice. I've just been told that it's a known issue that will hopefully be fixed soon.

I could live with apps not working as I have a Roku, but I'm about to run out of guide data for recording, and then it's going to be totally useless.

My service plan just happens to renew next Tuesday. Anyone have any info that should keep me from just cancelling it? Very very frustrated with Tivo!
abckids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Are you using the wireless adapter? There have been several threads on here about the update causing problems

Have you power-cycled your networking equipment... Router, switches, etc? It might be coincidental timing with the update
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
abckids

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
Are you using the wireless adapter? There have been several threads on here about the update causing problems

Have you power-cycled your networking equipment... Router, switches, etc? It might be coincidental timing with the update
Yes I have the N adapter. I unplugged it, reset it and then connected it to my computer to run the setup wizard...twice. Still doesn't work.

My internet connection is fine, but I always get a connection interrupted error when trying to download from the Tivo service.

As I said above, everything has been rebooted....multiple times.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
DogsOfWarandPeac

It's been a common problem with this update. The only solution I've seen is to reset the adapter (using the little button on the bottom), but that doesn't seem to work for everyone.

To get guide data in the mean time you'll need to make a hard wired connection. You could get a really long ethernet cable, go with moca (I'd suggest doing that permanently anyway), move the TiVo closer to your access point, etc.
DogsOfWarandPeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
abckids

Well, I guess the Tivo heard me talking....

about canceling because it finally connected last night. I just periodically tried to force a connection when I thought about it and after many many errors, it finally went through.

No one at Tivo had ever suggested this, but we decided to try setting it to a static IP. It makes no sense to me that it would make any difference, but the connection did occur after making that one change. Who knows, but if anyone else is still having trouble, it's probably worth a shot!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
mattycb

Angry Static IP didn't work

Tried static IP and it did no good. Same results. Sometimes it fails at connecting. Sometimes it fails at download. But it always fails.

My wife chatted with customer support today and they acknowledged the problem is at their end, is a severity 1 problem but has no estimated resolution time.

My Premier officially becomes a door stop tomorrow after it records one final show at 5am. Then the guide runs out and I can record no more.

One suggestion since companies react when their pocket book is threatened. Everyone here with a problem should keep track of each day that you cannot record due to this problem and DEMAND a pro-rated refund of your monthly service charge from TiVo. I pay monthly for listings. No listings, no pay. And I'm not cancelling service cos that is a lose/lose. I like TiVo. I want it back. But I'm not paying for non-service.
mattycb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:40 AM   #7
mattycb

Today begins day 3 with no program guide in the TiVo Premier and the last successful update was all the way back before latest upgrade.

I have a question for anyone who might know. Are the TiVo servers distributed regionally or are they all in a central location? I am not understanding why some folks are having no problem with their box and others like me can't connect. Does anyone have any insight into the TiVo server architecture? BTW, has anyone found their own fix yet? I'm a very unhappy camper.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #8
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

It's not a TiVo server problem; there would be many more complaints if that was the problem. It's either your hardware, your local network, your ISP, or your DNS server causing the initial problem, and then the TiVo software not reacting well or not resetting itself when it sees the error. It could be TiVo software on either end (the server software could be seeing a problem and stopping a connection.)

Playing around with your local network may correct the initial problem (like the changing to static IP).
Old 11-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattycb View Post
Tried static IP and it did no good. Same results. Sometimes it fails at connecting. Sometimes it fails at download. But it always fails.
In addition to changing it to a static IP, also go into your wireless router settings and turn off the DHCP, reboot the router and then turn the DHCP back on. That will release the existing entry for your wireless adapter.

That worked for me.

Good luck!
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:21 AM   #10
mattycb

Question What order do I do the steps in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
In addition to changing it to a static IP, also go into your wireless router settings and turn off the DHCP, reboot the router and then turn the DHCP back on. That will release the existing entry for your wireless adapter.

That worked for me.

Good luck!
Don many thanks for the response. I hate to be thick but I want to get this right. Is this the proper order of steps:

1. Go into Tivo and select static IP, specifying all necessary IP addresses (i.e. box ip, subnet mask, etc).
2. Turn off DHCP in wireless router and then reboot router.
3. Turn DHCP back on. (At this point IP assigned to TiVo will no longer be available for use by DHCP).
4. Attempt connection with TiVo to get guide info.

Is that the right order in which to do the steps? Or should I swap steps 1 and 2?

Thanks again for any light you can shed.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:00 AM   #11
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattycb View Post
Don many thanks for the response. I hate to be thick but I want to get this right. Is this the proper order of steps:

1. Go into Tivo and select static IP, specifying all necessary IP addresses (i.e. box ip, subnet mask, etc).
2. Turn off DHCP in wireless router and then reboot router.
3. Turn DHCP back on. (At this point IP assigned to TiVo will no longer be available for use by DHCP).
4. Attempt connection with TiVo to get guide info.

Is that the right order in which to do the steps? Or should I swap steps 1 and 2?

Thanks again for any light you can shed.
Yep, that is the order that worked for me.

You *may* have to reboot the router again after step 3. If it doesn't prompt you to do it, it couldn't hurt to go ahead and do it anyways.

Oh, and for #1 make sure you choose a different IP address than the DHCP had already assigned the TiVo. In my router setup menu I just clicked on the 'DHCP Reservation' button and looked at the addresses it had already assigned to all the devices I have. Then just chose a number that wasn't listed.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #12
MACCTVO

Same problem

I've had the same issue since the recent update. I get Error C133. I've tried most everything, including setting a static IP. The only thing that seems to work is to reboot my Comcast Gateway. I have at least 6 other computers and other devices on this gateway and none have any problems ... only the TIVO. I'm pretty convinced that there's something with the updated software, since this began within 24 hours of the update.

BTW in the past few days I got the error and couldn't access anything that needed the Internet, but the problem cleared by itself in an hour or so.

I'm still watching and hoping for a fix.
MACCTVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #13
mattycb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACCTVO View Post
I'm pretty convinced that there's something with the updated software, since this began within 24 hours of the update.
This is exactly why I posed the question about the TiVo server infrastructure. NOTHING changed on my home network between the time TiVo worked and didn't work. The only thing that DID change was this new code drop from Tivo that introduced the C133 error and the accompanying connection problems. So either they dropped buggy code on my box or they changed something on their server.

BTW -- thanks to Don for the prompt reply. Before I go static IP I'm gonna see if a simple reboot of my Arris wireless cable router does the trick.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
mattycb

Update -- before attempting the static IP procedure we tried something my wife found on the Tivo site. We swapped the N adapter for the G adapter we had in our bedroom. The first attempt died in downloading as usual but we tried again immediately and the download worked for the first time in almost 2 weeks.

This makes me wonder if the problem is confined to wireless N adapters. I'm also wondering if today's download also downloaded a code fix. We'll keep it on the G overnight so we hopefully get our full two weeks of listings. Then, we're gonna swap the N adapter back in tomorrow and see if the problem is permanently resolved.

By the way, I'm also noticing the C133 error message has disappeared for the time being. All of this done without resorting to static IP addresses.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
jrtroo
User

Did you read the other threads on this? This seems to be something triggered in the adapter and is fixed with a reset. Its not clear if that was included in your "most everything" or not.

The C133 error is on the tivo server side. There are also lots recent of threads on that.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #16
mattycb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
The C133 error is on the tivo server side. There are also lots recent of threads on that.
So it is just a coincidence that with the connection issue resolved the C133 error seems to be fixed also? I find that hard to believe although I confess I have not done an exhaustive study of every thread on the topic.

Matt B
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #17
mattycb

Oh well, another disappointing update. As I reported before the G adapter works like a dream. We reset the N adapter today and swapped it back in and we're right back to square 1 with C133 (which had disappeared with the G adapter) and connection interrupts. I had sincerely hoped my successful download with the G adapter might have downloaded a fix for the N adapter problem, but alas not.

So it looks like the Premier will stay on the G adapter and I'll see if my series 3 will work with the N adapter. Unfortunately the N adapter needs a power source and I've run out of outlets on that wall of my bedroom so I will have to invest in another power strip.

Enough people have been inconvenienced by this that you think TiVo would have sent a mass email saying "we apologize for the inconvenience, bla bla bla" but nothing. They need a wake up call on how to treat customers.