I have a Slingbox 350 and Stream built into Roamio Pro. Here's my notes so far on advantages of each.
* If you have a very poor connection there is nothing you can do with Sling - it will look really bad or constantly stall making things unwatchable. With the Stream solution you can set it to download for a while to build up a buffer and then start watching and the quality will still be one of the 3 pre-defined quality levels.
* Again for poor connections the Slingbox 350 can take up to 20 seconds or so to respond to a button press while I'm hearing the iOS app response is pretty close to real time, so trick play is much more seamless compared to Sling.
* Slingbox requires you take control of the box, so that box can't be used by someone else while Sling is in use. With Stream solution everything happens in the background.
* With Slingbox you are restricted to whatever box it is connected to. With Stream solution any series 4 or higher unit on the network can be streamed from.
* No clunky IR blasters needed.
* Gives better video quality vs Stream streaming mode given the same low bandwidth
* Much higher quality captures possible (1080p H.264 up to 7 Mbps)
* Does not suffer from encoding issues and A/V sync issues which I have encountered with the Stream.
* Not restricted by any copy protection nonsense since it's using analog outputs
* Can be connected to any box that has analog outputs
* With Slingbox you can capture and save video unencrypted from any analog source
Roamio Pro, Elite, Premiere
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by moyekj; 11-19-2013 at 11:42 AM.