TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
Joe Siegler

kmttg & Tivo Desktop

Some n00b kmttg questions here, so please forgive if they seem green.

For ages I've been a user (if not a proponent) of TiVo Desktop. Even paid for it many years ago. It's been what I've needed to use simply because I used it almost exclusively for just transferring programs back and forth from my TiVos to my desktop where I have quite a truckload of saved stuff.

Anyways, tonight I looked at kmttg, and have to say it's much improved over the last time I used it. I'm considering using just that for my transfers over desktop, because of the radically larger amount of info and options available to me. There's one other beef with TiVo Desktop is that some shows that we keep on the TiVo's (mostly kids shows like Dinosaur Train, stuff like that) have a habit of just being transferred again for no apparent reason, I'd like to stop that.

To that, if I go that route, what do I need to do in terms of uninstalling Tivo Desktop? If I just uninstall TiVo Desktop, will that leave my computer in a state where I can watch the .tivo files on my desktop, and also leave it where I can see what's on my desktop from the TiVo's elsewhere in the house?

Or if I uninstall TiVo Desktop, is there something I need to add on to kmttg to replicate the "server" function? (again sorry if I'm not using the terms right).

I suppose the other option would be to disable all auto transfers in TiVo Desktop, and then just leave it alone, never running desktop, but I suspect that's not the recommended way of doing this.

Tkx for any info.

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #2
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post

I suppose the other option would be to disable all auto transfers in TiVo Desktop, and then just leave it alone, never running desktop, but I suspect that's not the recommended way of doing this.

Tkx for any info.
That's basically what I've been doing for several years now. I do usually have the TiVo Desktop server paused. I see no reason to uninstall it. I use it to xfer shows back to my TiVo. There are other ways, but that works for me.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
That's basically what I've been doing for several years now. I do usually have the TiVo Desktop server paused. I see no reason to uninstall it. I use it to xfer shows back to my TiVo. There are other ways, but that works for me.
If you leave it paused, then how do the TiVos see the computer to pull shows? I don't want to come in and turn it on only when I want to transfer something, I want that to be available all the time. One never knows when the mood might strike to transfer something. If I'm sitting there with the remote, I'll find something else vs getting up and walking across the house to restart the server just for that.

Yeah, I know #firstworldproblems

Old 09-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I replaced TDP with PyTivo and KMTTG. With PyTivo, now I can have several folders to get the videos from on the Tivo, where as TDP only has a meeger single folder, and much less functions. PyTivo has more. I even have transferred .mp4, .mkv files also.

I have also initiated a download from the iPad and it gets downloaded to my PC. TDP cannot do that.

You would not even need TDP installed, not even a partial uninstall is needed if you were to use the decrypt function in KMTTG. They would be a .mpg MPEG2 file instead of .TiVo.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You would not even need TDP installed, not even a partial uninstall is needed if you were to....
OK, I'm confused by that. ARe you saying I would need TDP installed or NOT installed?

Old 09-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
OK, I'm confused by that. ARe you saying I would need TDP installed or NOT installed?
You would not need Desktop at all if you used PyTivo (instead) to allow copying back to Tivo.

~~~~~

Old 09-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
Joe Siegler

OK, I'll give this combo a go, foregoing TDP. See how I get along after doing it the other way for many years.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I've been using PyTivo for years now, ever since Tivo Desktop's Tivoserver.exe quit working, so I uninstalled it and installed PyTivo. the only hard part is the setting up, but once that is done, it really flies.

~~~~~

Old 09-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
Joe Siegler

I had a cheat the old way. I had videos in two places. I pointed TDP to the standard TiVo directory, but all the uh, "other" video I had was elsewhere. In the TDP sanctioned directory, I had a shortcut to the other. It worked fine when using TDP. Will have to see if pyTiVo respects that.

That was my way around "TDP can only look at one directory".

Old 09-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I had about 5 folder show up on my Tivos and they all work to their respective folders on the PC. Another plus is KMTTG can push with PyTivo, doubt TD can do that.

~~~~~

Old 09-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Get the WmcBrine version, think it was easier to setup.

~~~~~

Old 09-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
Joe Siegler

I'm already setup. Once I get done doing what I'm doing, I'll go check it out.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
If you leave it paused, then how do the TiVos see the computer to pull shows? I don't want to come in and turn it on only when I want to transfer something, I want that to be available all the time. One never knows when the mood might strike to transfer something. If I'm sitting there with the remote, I'll find something else vs getting up and walking across the house to restart the server just for that.

Yeah, I know #firstworldproblems
My TiVo can still see and transfer files from the PC with the desktop server paused.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:11 AM   #14
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
In the TDP sanctioned directory, I had a shortcut to the other. It worked fine when using TDP. Will have to see if pyTiVo respects that.
pyTivo doesn't speak Windows shortcuts. Instead, point pyTivo directly at the directory you need, or else make a true filesystem-level link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:54 AM   #15
unitron

Quote:
I had a cheat the old way. I had videos in two places. I pointed TDP to the standard TiVo directory, but all the uh, "other" video I had was elsewhere. In the TDP sanctioned directory, I had a shortcut to the other. It worked fine when using TDP. Will have to see if pyTiVo respects that.

That was my way around "TDP can only look at one directory".
I've got a Buffalo Linkstation (NAS drive) and I discovered that I can put a short cut to it inside the My TiVo Recordings folder and any .tivo files on it are available to my TiVos just like the other .tivo files in there.

Unfortunately it's only 500GB.

Hardly worth bothering with.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #16
ggieseke

If you uninstall Desktop, I'd use the Remove Partial option. That way it leaves the decryption layer behind so that you can still play files on the PC with Media Player. VideoReDo also needs that layer to load .TiVo files.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #17
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
If you uninstall Desktop, I'd use the Remove Partial option. That way it leaves the decryption layer behind so that you can still play files on the PC with Media Player. VideoReDo also needs that layer to load .TiVo files.
Yes, but if you were to put the .TiVo files onto another PC without TD installed/partial uninstall, it would not play there.

~~~~~

Old 09-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #18
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
If I fully go that route, what I'll probably do is just leave TDP installed, and just preventing it from running at startup. JUST IN CASE something unforseen comes up and I'd need it. Figure it can't hurt to leave it there, not like HD space is an issue in 2013 anymore.

I got it all up and running last night. Need to solve a port problem, as my push to TiVo isn't working, and from what I can gather, that's usually up to a port on the computer's firewall.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #19
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
If I fully go that route, what I'll probably do is just leave TDP installed, and just preventing it from running at startup. JUST IN CASE something unforseen comes up and I'd need it. Figure it can't hurt to leave it there, not like HD space is an issue in 2013 anymore.

I got it all up and running last night. Need to solve a port problem, as my push to TiVo isn't working, and from what I can gather, that's usually up to a port on the computer's firewall.
TD will still reside in PC hogging memory, but with KMTTG's Decrypt function, its totally unnecessary. I think PyTivo needs autopush.jar to setup push.

~~~~~

Old 09-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #20
Joe Siegler

Quote:
TD will still reside in PC hogging memory, but with KMTTG's Decrypt function, its totally unnecessary. I think PyTivo needs autopush.jar to setup push.
It won't be in memory if I turn the service off, and prevent all the various bits from running in startup.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #21
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
It won't be in memory if I turn the service off, and prevent all the various bits from running in startup.
If you pull up Task Manager (Press CTRL-Shift-ESC), there may be a "Tivoserver.exe" running under the process tab.

When I had TDP installed and it quit working, Tivoserver.exe was running at startup and hogging most of my CPU processes and never stopped.

~~~~~

Old 09-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #22
Joe Siegler

Quote:
If you pull up Task Manager, there may be a "Tivoserver.exe" running under the process tab.
There isn't. I also prevented three TiVo items from running in startup, one of them named that.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #23
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
There isn't. I also prevented three TiVo items from running in startup, one of them named that.
You may have stopped it, but the next time you start up Windows, it would start again.

~~~~~

Old 09-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #24
Joe Siegler

Not if you go into services and disable stuff there, too (on top of the three in startup).

Old 09-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #25
RusRus

OK, I'm totally confused. I don't have Tivo Desktop Plus but I do have Tivo Desk Top (the free version).

There is all this talk of "transferring" recorded programs from the Tivo DVR to the computer using DTP.

Using just Desk Top I can copy, not transfer, a recording from my DVR to my computer and I can view the show both on my computer and my TV.

If I delete the show on my DVR I can still view it on my PC. If I delete if from my PC I can still view it on my TV.

So what I'm saying is I am not transferring the program from my DVR to my PC; I'm "copying" the show.

If I come back from a trip I do not have to "transfer" unseen shows back to my DVR as they were never "transferred" to begin with but only copied.

Shouldn't we be using the term copy and not transfer when referring to recordings from our DVR to our PC? Or is this just semantics?
RusRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #26
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Need to solve a port problem, as my push to TiVo isn't working, and from what I can gather, that's usually up to a port on the computer's firewall.
If you're talking about pyTivo, Push failure is usually due to failure of mind.tivo.com. Or if you just don't have your tivo_username and tivo_password set in pyTivo.conf.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #27
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
If you're talking about pyTivo, Push failure is usually due to failure of mind.tivo.com. Or if you just don't have your tivo_username and tivo_password set in pyTivo.conf.
I do have them set.

I also set all this up after midnight when I was tired, so it's possible something was misconfigured. But so far everything's working except push to TiVo with the kmttg/pyTivo combo.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #28
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
I do have them set.

I also set all this up after midnight when I was tired, so it's possible something was misconfigured. But so far everything's working except push to TiVo with the kmttg/pyTivo combo.
Did you know that whenever you make changes to PyTivo (not through the web interface), you would need to stop and restart the service.

~~~~~

Old 09-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #29
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Did you know that whenever you make changes to PyTivo (not through the web interface), you would need to stop and restart the service.
Well, everything I've changed with pyTiVo has been through the web interface, and whenever I've done that, I've restarted it. Again, web interface. If that's not what I'm supposed to be doing, let me know.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #30
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Well, everything I've changed with pyTiVo has been through the web interface, and whenever I've done that, I've restarted it. Again, web interface. If that's not what I'm supposed to be doing, let me know.
It can be done either way. I usually do not use the web interface except on the iPad.

~~~~~