TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
verdugan

Amazing Race - One Hot Camel - OAD 11/17/13 **SPOILERS**

The baseball wives had to go. It was clear that they were the worst team.

I didn't like the reason the ER doctors gave for U-turning the Afghanimals. It was stupid of them to lie about it, but it's hardly grounds for U-turning them.

And Jason and Amy talked a big game, but when push come to shove, they chickened out and didn't U-turn Pinky and No Brain.

Talking about not having a brain, how clueless are those two? They couldn't find the tower that everybody else found right away?

Last edited by verdugan : 11-18-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Grammar
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
The baseball wives had to go. It was clear that they were the worst team.

Quote:
And Jason and Amy talked a big game, but when pushed come to shove, they chickened out and didn't U-turn Pinky and No Brain.

Quote:
Talking about not having a brain, how clueless are those two? They couldn't find the tower that everybody else found right away?

Quote:
I didn't like the reason the ER doctors gave for U-turning the Afghanimals. It was stupid of them to lie about it, but it's hardly grounds for U-turning them.
remember my post from 2 weeks ago? this is the reason why, someone will use it to justify something:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
if you're gonna lie to the other teams about anything, it should be needed and as a last resort, not your "go to" response.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Sorry to see the bunnies go, but someone had to go and they were clearly the weakest team.

As for Leo and Jamal, they were idiots for lying when there was no gain to themselves. They seemed to have done it as a lark but they made an enemy unnecessarily.

I would like to see the remaining girl team win. Probably not going to happen, but I like those girls.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Too bad, the baseball wives were both really easy on the eyes.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I completely don't understand them using the Express Pass without even trying the challenge! They almost certainly will get stuck in a challenge that moves them down the field later.

Wait. How many episodes left? I think they may have HAD to use it by this one or lose it. I know they can't use it with (I think) three episodes left, which, unless they extend it, would be right (five teams left, so two regular elims plus the finale).

How do P&NB manage to survive with their stupidity?? If they win, I think I'll be throwing something at my TV!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I think they must have had to use it this leg.

There are five teams, so I expect next week will be a non-elim to set us up for the final two episodes. Doesn't the finale usually start with 4 teams with one eliminated half-way through?

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

No. The actual finale is just three teams. They have, in the past, shown the one from last episode back-to-back with the finale, calling it a two-hour 'finale' though, so technically, you're right and wrong at the same time!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
VegasVic
Craps Player

They said right at the start of the leg that they would be using the pass so it must have been the last leg they could use it.

Baseball chicks had virtually no chance since there was not a bunchup on this leg. They needed an equalizer at some point.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Pretty nice prize, 2 new cars!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I disagree that the Bunnies were the weakest team. The Ice Girls are every bit as weak, and probably not as smart, but the Speed Bump and the U-Turn made all the difference. And that was a pretty stupid reason for Pinky and No Brain to U-Turn them. Just because the Bunnies outsmarted you before doesn't mean they did something unfair. Seems that P & NB still think the Bunnies did something underhanded.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

It was kind of anticlimatic. As soon as the Bunnies got uturned at about 30 minutes into the episode you knew they were done and it took all the drama out of the episode.

As for the express pass it probably had to be used by this leg but it is pretty damn good strategy to use it on a U-turn leg to assure that you don't get u-turned.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
VegasVic
Craps Player

I can't remember which team it was but one of them said they had already had the car code and didn't need to use the coins. That confused me or maybe I just missed something.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
Honora

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I disagree that the Bunnies were the weakest team. The Ice Girls are every bit as weak, and probably not as smart, but the Speed Bump and the U-Turn made all the difference. And that was a pretty stupid reason for Pinky and No Brain to U-Turn them. Just because the Bunnies outsmarted you before doesn't mean they did something unfair. Seems that P & NB still think the Bunnies did something underhanded.
Especially since Pinky said it was something she would have done if she'd known it was possible. She's just mad she didn't think of it first.
Honora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
I can't remember which team it was but one of them said they had already had the car code and didn't need to use the coins. That confused me or maybe I just missed something.
It was Jason and Amy. They got the bag of viking coins when they were in Norway, so they've had them for several episodes. They knew they'd be needing to use them for something on a future leg. So it probably wasn't too hard for them to figure out what the puzzle was and decipher it beforehand.

And in case you missed what the puzzle was, they had to line the coins up according to the symbols on the bag the coins came in. Then keeping the coins in that same order, they had to flip the coins over and that would give them the entry code for the cars.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
nyc13

Quote:
They all got the bag of coins a few legs ago with no instructions as to when or how they would be used. Some of them had the foresight to actually look at the coins (presumably during downtime at pit stops) and try and figure out what they would eventually be used for. So some teams already had a five-digit number in mind when they saw their car. Others thought the coins themselves had magic power to be used in opening the car door.
nyc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #16
Honora

Quote:
From that I deduced that during down-time they must have looked at the coins and bag wondering why they would be "needing it later" as the clue said. They must have figured out that the sequence on the bag and therefore the numbers on the back of the coins would be important later.
Honora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #17
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
remember my post from 2 weeks ago? this is the reason why, someone will use it to justify something:
I agreed with you 2 weeks ago, and I'm agreeing today as well.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #18
verdugan

Quote:
I disagree that the Bunnies were the weakest team. The Ice Girls are every bit as weak, and probably not as smart, but the Speed Bump and the U-Turn made all the difference.
But the baseball wives had the Speed Bump because they came in last in the previous leg.

The Ice girls are not strong enough to win, IMHO, but they are stronger (less weak?) than the baseball wives. And they sure had less drama than the baseball wives.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
VegasVic
Craps Player

Cool, I forgot that they had the coins for awhile and knew they would need them for something.

Baseball wives and hockey girls are both weak teams. Both lucky to get as far as they did. The "best" teams don't always win but if the hockey girls do I'll be shocked.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

I vaguely remembered that one of the teams left their coins behind, but maybe I'm remembering the team that didn't pick up the piece of the paper with the clue. Or maybe one team did forget their coins and has been eliminated since that leg. Does anyone else remember? I guess I'll go back and look at the thread for that episode....
Old 11-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #21
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Nicky & Kim, In Memoriam:

Old 11-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #22
FrodoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
I completely don't understand them using the Express Pass without even trying the challenge! They almost certainly will get stuck in a challenge that moves them down the field later.

Wait. How many episodes left? I think they may have HAD to use it by this one or lose it. I know they can't use it with (I think) three episodes left, which, unless they extend it, would be right (five teams left, so two regular elims plus the finale).
Phil said at the beginning of the race that the Express Pass must be used by the end of the 8th leg, which this was. (Poland and the required handoff of the second pass was 5, Vienna was 6, first Abu Dhabi 7, second Abu Dhabi 8.) He didn't explicitly say both the original one and the one that had to be given away had the same rules, but I think that's a fairly safe inference. If the one you have to give away could be used relatively indefinitely, it'd be a far more powerful tool than the Express Pass a team actually earned. So I think they had to use it this leg, and by beating the other teams to the detour they got to skip both tasks for the price of one Express Pass, which seems a pretty good deal overall.

(It also seems like they successfully kept the other teams, minus P&NB obviously, in the dark about holding the Express Pass. That surprises me, considering that everyone knew P&NB had to give the second one away in Poland. I'm also surprised P&NB didn't rat them out as the holders of the Pass to everyone else to put a target on their backs. But in the end, the ER docs got to the detour first and it wouldn't have mattered if someone else was trying to strategically U-Turn them anyway.)
FrodoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #23
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I vaguely remembered that one of the teams left their coins behind, but maybe I'm remembering the team that didn't pick up the piece of the paper with the clue. Or maybe one team did forget their coins and has been eliminated since that leg. Does anyone else remember? I guess I'll go back and look at the thread for that episode....
P&NB found the coin bag but left the slip of paper with the name of the next destination behind. That's when the docs said they would tell them the next destination in exchange for the express pass.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #24
trainman
Nice to see you

Aw, poor Kim, she won't win the "Amazing Race" prize, so she'll just have to make do with her husband's money.

(I believe Nicky's husband is a free agent -- he was on a one-year deal with the Royals for 2013, and I haven't found any news about him being re-signed.)
Old 11-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #25
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Aw, poor Kim, she won't win the "Amazing Race" prize, so she'll just have to make do with her husband's money.

(I believe Nicky's husband is a free agent -- he was on a one-year deal with the Royals for 2013, and I haven't found any news about him being re-signed.)
$5Mil a year for hitting .251.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #26
mattack

I think it was pinky & no brain, but very early at the beginning, I thought the exchange that went something like this was very funny:
Guy: You should stop yelling at me
Girl: I would if you would drive fast

or something like that. I liked it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #27
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
P&NB found the coin bag but left the slip of paper with the name of the next destination behind. That's when the docs said they would tell them the next destination in exchange for the express pass.
Yeah, I remember that, but I also sort-of-remembered them showed someone else getting the slip of paper, but not the coin bag.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #28
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I thought P&NB U-turned the bunnies to build in more of a cushion for themselves. At least that's what they said when they did it. I guess I didn't find it all that bad an idea.

I'd say the ER doctors should be the favorites. They've played a pretty good game.

I wonder if they are trying to save on airfare...seems like the last few seasons we've been getting a lot of multi-episodes per location.

Ford must really be putting a lot of sponsorship money into this season. Seems almost every episode there's a Ford related task to do. For some reason Ford's name is a lot more conspicuous than other seasons.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #29
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Nicky & Kim, In Memoriam:

Just make $5 or $10 million a year and you too can have one of these. :-)
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #30
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
....Ford must really be putting a lot of sponsorship money into this season. Seems almost every episode there's a Ford related task to do. For some reason Ford's name is a lot more conspicuous than other seasons.
Yeah....it's a shame they're vehicles are pieces of crap
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote