Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #31
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Very true. Some classic TV moments though happened to be jump the shark moments in some respects. We remember them, so that makes them classics.
Exactly.
The Fonz water ski jumping the shark on Happy Days is a classic episode.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #32
cannonz

Never saw nor care to who shot JR but the Jeffersons who shot GR was great.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #33
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I was thinking the episode that prompted the question, not the episode(s) that answered the question.
Well, "Who Shot JR" is suggestive of the reveal, not the incident itself. But yes, the buildup episode is really good.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #34
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Well, "Who Shot JR" is suggestive of the reveal, not the incident itself. But yes, the buildup episode is really good.
People asked the question for about 8 months based on the episode in which he was shot, not after they knew who it was. 33 years later, people don't even remember who it was, but they remember that it happened.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #35
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
People asked the question for about 8 months based on the episode in which he was shot, not after they knew who it was. 33 years later, people don't even remember who it was, but they remember that it happened.
Spoiler:
It was Kristen Shepard, Sue Ellen's sister, mother of Christopher.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #36
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
I loved that moment, it doesn't work as a standalone for me because you wouldn't have the needed disdain for her to really enjoy the moment
Not to mention that it is impossible for the doors to open without the elevator car (in normal operation) because the motor and the mechanism that opens the hallway doors is on the elevator car. Completely ruins it for me, and the series is one of my favorites.
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #37
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

The Dick Van Dyke Show, "It May Look Like a Walnut" (great guest appearance with Danny Thomas)
Old 11-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #38
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
Honeymooners: Ralph and Ed make an infomercial ("Can it core a Apple?")
My all-time favorite.

But also, the one where Ralph and Ed buy a TV together.

"Captain Video!"

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #39
midas
I heard that

I was reading up a little on Honeymooner history and ran across a few interesting ones.

While Carney and Meadows both won Emmy awards, Gleason never did. He was nominated multiple times, but never won.

Gleason refused to rehearse, ever.

In the classic scene where Ralph dresses up in his 'man from space' costume, the piece falling off when he's showing it to Alice was not planned. Meadows ad-libs "You're losing it already." Gleason ad-libs in response "Don't touch that- that's my de-naturizer."

Finally, Ralph was never actually shown driving a bus.
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #40
jilter
Happy to be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
The Dick Van Dyke Show, "It May Look Like a Walnut" (great guest appearance with Danny Thomas)
Ding.Ding.Ding. Winner! Best. Ever.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #41
mr.unnatural

Now I know I'm getting senile. I probably watched just about every episode mentioned as a kid and I can't recall most of them (except the Senfeld episodes). I've watched so much TV over the past six decades that it's hard to recall single episodes of anything, unless it was extra special.

FWIW, there is no such thing as a bad episode of Seinfeld, except perhaps for the first season. Had the show aired today it would have been canceled after the first couple of episodes.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #42
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
FWIW, there is no such thing as a bad episode of Seinfeld, except perhaps for the first season.
You mean, of course, except for the horrible series finale. That episode sucked.

Therefore, NO SOUP FOR YOU!
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #43
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbdigital View Post
Not to mention that it is impossible for the doors to open without the elevator car (in normal operation) because the motor and the mechanism that opens the hallway doors is on the elevator car. Completely ruins it for me, and the series is one of my favorites.
That's why I can't watch TV and analyze every detail for realism. That WTF moment was just awesome. Honestly it really didn't matter to me if it could happen or not. I think if I watched TV and picked out every bit of realism from each episode, I think I'd never watch TV.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #44
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Now I know I'm getting senile. I probably watched just about every episode mentioned as a kid and I can't recall most of them (except the Senfeld episodes). I've watched so much TV over the past six decades that it's hard to recall single episodes of anything, unless it was extra special.

FWIW, there is no such thing as a bad episode of Seinfeld, except perhaps for the first season. Had the show aired today it would have been canceled after the first couple of episodes.
The first couple of episodes were not great and in fact, I stopped watching for awhile. It was a series I was looking forward to because before that Jerry had been doing very funny and clever commercials for a wine (I don't recall which) and I had really grown to like his humor. But I was disappointed. But a friend told me how much better it had gotten (around the time of the Keith Hernandez episode and I started watching again.

Watching those first season episodes now, I find some parts of them very funny, since I can put them into the concept of the characters I know now. Same with the last season, once LD left. There were some classic moments in that last season even though I felt the episodes were generally not as good without LD. Festivus was from the last season for example.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #45
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
You mean, of course, except for the horrible series finale. That episode sucked.

Therefore, NO SOUP FOR YOU!
I watch that finale now, and I really don't think it was all that bad. Some of it was dumb, but, I always crack up when all the former foils are brought in and around the courtroom and do their little things.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #46
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
when all the former foils are brought in and around the courtroom and do their little things.
Yeah, that part was creative and "good", but they could have found a better way to do it than being thrown in jail and tried for some fabricated WTF? charge.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #47
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc13 View Post
Leave It to Beaver, "Beaver and Chuey". Eddie teaches Beaver a phrase to use with his new Spanish friend, and he ends up telling him he has a face like a pig.
That's the one that sticks in my mind too, but there were so many good episodes. One of my favorites is when the kids buy Ward a hunting jacket.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #48
jradosh
Newlywed

Star Trek - The Trouble With Tribbles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #49
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
City on the Edge of Forever is one of the best stories they did.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #50
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Twilight Zone - with Shatner and the Gremlins
Old 11-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #51
jr461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Yeah, that part was creative and "good", but they could have found a better way to do it than being thrown in jail and tried for some fabricated WTF? charge.
That whole finale gets widely criticized and I think primarily for the lousy final scene. I really enjoyed the parade of past guests as they prepared for their journeys to the court and in court.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #52
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Twilight Zone - with Shatner and the Gremlins
There are so many TZ eps:

Kick the Can
Time Enough to Last
The Monsters are Due on Maple Street
A World of His Own
The Mighty Casey
The Man in the Bottle
Eye of the Beholder
The Shelter
The Dummy
I sing the Body Electric
Nightmare at 20,000 Feet (Shatner)
It's a Good Life
Old 11-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #53
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc13 View Post
Leave It to Beaver, "Beaver and Chuey". Eddie teaches Beaver a phrase to use with his new Spanish friend, and he ends up telling him he has a face like a pig.
I think the one where Beaver falls into the giant coffee cup on a billboard is probably the best choice for a "classic" episode.

Quote:
Night Court - Have to close a bunch of cases so Dan could go on vacation (slow talker episode)
Family Guy - "Shapoopie song and dance number, Road to Berlin"
There were two Night Court episodes where they had to rush through cases. In the first one, they had to do it because some higher judge decided that any cases not resolved by midnight would be dismissed for some reason; in the second, somebody is about to foreclose on an orphanage, but a rich man offers to pay it off if they can get the entire backload of cases done by midnight.

As for Family Guy, Road to Berlin is a good choice, but the one with the Shapoopie number doesn't have much going for it besides that. (There is a deleted scene from the second one where Peter tries to fire up the London team to which he was traded by showing them the US version of The Office.) My choice is between Road to the Multiverse and PTV (because of the FCC song.)
(Speaking of the FCC song, they did a variation of it (same music, different words) at the 2007 Emmys, where the voiceover introduced Stewie and Brian as being from "The Family Guy"; I was reminded of it by the scene in the 11/17 episode where they are in Italy, and the consular official asked Peter, "Is it 'Family Guy' or 'The Family Guy'?")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
ST:TNG: Relics and Yesterday's Enterprise
If I had to pick one, it would be The Best of Both Worlds, Part 1, if only for its last three words.
Spoiler:
Mister Worf...FIRE

Quote:
I like the Christmas episode better - especially the finale (although they do it again in another episode).
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #54
nyc13

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I think the one where Beaver falls into the giant coffee cup on a billboard is probably the best choice for a "classic" episode.
I think blue is the best choice for a favorite color.
nyc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #55
hefe
Rebus Philbin

A couple personal favorites:

Friends - The One Where Nobody's Ready
Firefly - Out of Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr461 View Post
That whole finale gets widely criticized and I think primarily for the lousy final scene. I really enjoyed the parade of past guests as they prepared for their journeys to the court and in court.
I actually liked the final scene a whole lot more once I realized that their stupid conversation about the shirt buttons was taken right from the series' first episode, and was a perfect bookend to the "show about nothing."

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #56
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
The episode of DS9 that inserted some of their characters into that storyline.

"Trials and Tribble-ations"
Old 11-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #57
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe View Post

I actually liked the final scene a whole lot more once I realized that their stupid conversation about the shirt buttons was taken right from the series' first episode, and was a perfect bookend to the "show about nothing."
I think the second half of the finale was a lot better than the first. Elaine's conversation about the cell phones was really dumb (and of course outdated by now....but in 1998 not everyone had one yet). Kramer jumping around on the plane was silly, and I guess the premise of what they got arrested for was silly, especially that it was national news and they went to prison for it. But there were some good lines and good scenes. Their lawyer in bed with Teri Hatcher saying that the jury wouldn't be back for hours, and naturally the phone rings was funny. The Soup Nazi testifying was funny.

I think a lot of the disappointment was that Larry David had left and most critics thought the show suffered that last season without him. He came back to help write the finale and I think they expected SO much more and it just wasn't as spectacular (using Teri Hatcher's line) as they had hoped. So to me, it wasn't horrible, but not a classic Seinfeld episode. And consider it followed the clip show with all the best scenes....hard to top that.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #58
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Quote:
I like the Christmas episode better - especially the finale (although they do it again in another episode).
"Uhny Uftz" is also a personal favorite -- but for a classic, must-see episode, I have to go with 'Walnut' instead.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #59
cannonz

The Drew Carey where his girlfriend put vibrator in his suitcase and security at airport found it.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #60
FrodoB

Quote:
If I had to pick one, it would be The Best of Both Worlds, Part 1, if only for its last three words.
Spoiler:
Mister Worf...FIRE
I can still quote the entire ending to BoBW part 1, in perfect time with the actors, starting at Locutus' statement. The slow panning of the bridge crew of the Enterprise leading up to Riker's words is simply iconic. In my opinion, that last couple of minutes is pretty much TV perfection.
FrodoB is offline   Reply With Quote