TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Naked Vegas (2013 season thread)

A show about a professional body painting business in Las Vegas. I've been doing this off and on (as an amateur) for the last dozen years, so I was highly interested but also being a slacker Tivo user I only got around to watching the first episode last night.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted. Way way way too much talking and fast cuts, not enough actual painting and explaining what materials are being used and techniques employed. Typical reality show, I guess, only with lots more painted flesh. The zombie wedding party was fun. The painted nighties are something I've done myself several times and it was great to see the technique they used with the lace and stocking stencils are exactly what I'd developed for my own use years ago.

So, anyone else watching? It looks like a show that will be reduced from 1 hour to about 15 minutes after FF'ing past all the yakking. Still, fun and interesting and loads of eye candy.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I thought the Penn & Teller episode was interesting, but it was very strange that they used a model that kept a shirt on, I assume because all of the contortionists came as a group.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

We had high hopes for it as a bit of a Face Off replacement but I find the owner/boss lady too annoying. I would like it if the artistic and technical aspects of it outweighed her personal and client drama but I don't see that happening.

I think Face Off has spoiled me in that regard as I love the lack of interpersonal "back at the house" drama and the way it concentrates purely on the work of the week.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Episode 2 was more interesting. I will definitely learn from this show and already have a couple new things to try. I never doubted that alcohol based paint would be okay in the pool water. I've used it before, it's absolutely waterproof and will last for days. You need great ventilation when you spray it or the alcohol will knock you out.

meh
Old 11-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

It's an interesting show. There's definitely some silly stuff added, but as a whole, it's worth watching IMO. They are really impressive artists.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

There are some very impressive pics of the art on the syfy webpage. http://www.syfy.com/nakedvegas/photos

I thought this one was pretty cool:

Old 11-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Just watched the Penn & Teller and playmate episodes. In both I liked the undercard painting better than the main event. Both episodes had more of the details I like to see and less yakking.

The camo painting was fascinating from a technical point of view even if I'll probably never do it. Worth watching for the 2 iPad pictures + tracing paper tip if nothing else. I laughed out loud at the male model who cut his legs trying to shave. He would have been so much better off recruiting someone else to do that for him! Guys, you know how natural and easy it feels shaving your face? That's muscle memory. Try it on your chest and legs. Trust me, it ain't easy the first few times.

The cards? Impressive contortionists, meh artwork. I can do stencils.

The "bodies" paintings for the first half of the playmate episode were really great and it seemed to be a genuine surprise for the rest of the class and professor. I did note that only the musculature model had any detail on the back side. The skeleton and circulatory models were a solid color on the back. I guess there are limits to a freebie.

The futuristic space girls were standard Fantasy Fest stuff. Great party paintings, I love watching it all happen, but bog standard stuff otherwise. I do like some of the prop improv stuff they do, even while I wonder how much of it is really real.

Overall, after 4 episodes, it's a thumbs up from me.

meh
Old 11-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
I thought the Penn & Teller episode was interesting, but it was very strange that they used a model that kept a shirt on, I assume because all of the contortionists came as a group.
Meant to answer this earlier. The reason the girl kept the sports bra on was probably because her breasts were large enough that the poses she would be in would cause her to drape in ways that distorted the image.

Also, painting places where skin rests against skin (as in under the breast) are problematic. Usually you would just paint underneath the breast while the model holds her arms up a bit so that when she assumes a relaxed posture there's a bit of overlap. But, the model won't be able to hold her arms high (much less do contortionist poses) without revealing unpainted skin higher up under the breast.

meh
Old 11-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I didn't think of that as an explanation, Thanks!