Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #61
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Eh, what? Every new person that comes on the show is someone "we have no attachment to". Are you saying that no new characters should ever be introduced? With the rate of deaths on this show that would quickly mean no more show.
I'm perfectly fine with new characters being introduced. But introduce them into a story and with characters we already know about. If you introduce them in an episode that's entirely apart from the rest of the series and the rest of the characters, then it's hard to care about them because we don't know if they'll survive or if/when they'll ever integrate with anyone we care about. Until then, it doesn't make sense to get attached to them.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #62
pmyers

I found it interesting that the Gov grabbed the little girl and basically abandoned the other 2. He certainly didn't seem to care what happened to them.

Interesting people here are saying mother/daughter. They looked more like sisters to me.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #63
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I found it interesting that the Gov grabbed the little girl and basically abandoned the other 2. He certainly didn't seem to care what happened to them.
He couldn't carry all three. And the one girl was hobbled, so if he hung back with her, they might all die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Interesting people here are saying mother/daughter. They looked more like sisters to me.
That's what I thought. Father, two daughters, and a granddaughter.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #64
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Um...duh?
hey, half the people here thought Sun didn't sleep with that guy on LOST, either...you never know what people will think!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #65
zalusky

Geez you guys its like it all has to be wrapped up in one episode. Maybe you would be better watching 3 episodes back to back to see it come together.

There are a lot of characters and they periodically separate and have parallel stories.
The governor was a major character last year and not somebody new. They are coming back to catch us up.

Are you going to complain if they tell us something about Carol next year and her interactions with the outside world.

The character development may help set the stage for his interaction with our prison boys and introduction of a new set of bad guys. If we did not have this episode you would be complaining how out of character it would be for the governor to ask Rick for help (If that happens).

This reminds me so much of the BSG whining we use to hear.

Our band of misfits are basically idiots don't make them out to be smart.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #66
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
....The character development may help set the stage for his interaction with our prison boys and introduction of a new set of bad guys...
I understand and LOVE good character development. But this was NOT good...(IMO)...therefore it was a big waste of time.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #67
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
He couldn't carry all three. And the one girl was hobbled, so if he hung back with her, they might all die...
Yeah, but he didn't even look back or give them another thought. To me, his only concern was that girl and nobody else mattered...which was interesting since he had just hooked up with her mom.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #68
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
I think they said it WAS filled with food and they apparently had been living off the truck since the chaos started. (Their dad worked for the company.)
Tara also said that they had enough of those meat sticks to last for years so there should still have been a lot more food. It didn't make sense for them to take ONE vehicle eIther. They should have taken at least one more vehicle for backup. It is not like they didn't have enough drivers.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #69
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Tara also said that they had enough of those meat sticks to last for years so there should still have been a lot more food. It didn't make sense for them to take ONE vehicle eIther. They should have taken at least one more vehicle for backup. It is not like they didn't have enough drivers.
They said the truck was loaded with food, but if you were in an apartment and the zombies were outside, wouldn't you have unloaded the truck into the apartment a long time ago? That's what I assUme they did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #70
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
One of my first thoughts as he started to finally interact with them was why doesn't he tell them about the Walkers and what they are doing wrong. I know eventually he tells the Dad about shooting them in the head but not much else.

The girls didn't know what to expect when their dad died so of course they were thrown off guard. I am wondering if he had told them all about it then dad would have said either kill me now or make sure to have a gone there when I die. He wouldn't have wanted to be a walker.
I don't think he thought the Dad was in immediate danger of dying. You could see as soon as he realized he had died that he started to panic and tried to clear the girls out of the room, but was too late.

Otherwise, he clearly didn't want to get too attached too them at first, and then probably didn't grasp just how ignorant they were about the new Facts of Life.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #71
pmyers

And it sounded like the one sister knew it was going to happen. Afterwards she said something like "I know it happens, we've seen it before".

It's one thing to know it happens and another to have it happen to your dad.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #72
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

As for the ep - I liked it well enough. It was an interesting look at the Guv'nah and to see that deep down he still has human emotions like remorse and self-loathing even though he may still be a monster. And I was a bit tired of the prison environment, so it was nice to get out into the world and see how other survivors are faring.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #73
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
They said the truck was loaded with food, but if you were in an apartment and the zombies were outside, wouldn't you have unloaded the truck into the apartment a long time ago? That's what I assUme they did.
I'm sure that's what they did as well, except we didn't see stacks of boxes in their apartment like you would expect. And then if they decided to leave the apartment, take the truck, and venture off into the unknown, don't you think they would have then taken everything from the apartment and put it back in the truck for their journey?
Old 11-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #74
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
I don't think he thought the Dad was in immediate danger of dying. You could see as soon as he realized he had died that he started to panic and tried to clear the girls out of the room, but was too late.
He was expecting the dad to die, but he expected them to tell him right away, not sit in there with him dead for a while. When she said "he's been gone for a while" is when he started to panic.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #75
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
I'm sure that's what they did as well, except we didn't see stacks of boxes in their apartment like you would expect. And then if they decided to leave the apartment, take the truck, and venture off into the unknown, don't you think they would have then taken everything from the apartment and put it back in the truck for their journey?
Probably not if you've been surviving out there a long time and know that you will need to ditch the truck at some point in the very near future.

I just want to know how they were able to have sex with 2 people, including a child, right next to them!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #76
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I understand and LOVE good character development. But this was NOT good...(IMO)...therefore it was a big waste of time.
Perhaps we can hope that they'll all be killed soon enough so there was no real need for character development, and that this episode was just a chance for everyone involved in the show to take a little time off.

dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #77
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Perhaps we can hope that they'll all be killed soon enough so there was no real need for character development, and that this episode was just a chance for everyone involved in the show to take a little time off.
I see no reason why the writers can't be going for a massive redemption tour if they like the actor well enough and want to make him a regular.

We've seen it done in other shows (another post-apocalyptic running right now, as a matter of fact). So it is certainly possible here.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #78
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
I see no reason why the writers can't be going for a massive redemption tour if they like the actor well enough and want to make him a regular.

We've seen it done in other shows (another post-apocalyptic running right now, as a matter of fact). So it is certainly possible here.
Hey look at Carl. Everybody was doing "Where Carls" and other wishes of quick death. Now everybody is starting to like him!
Old 11-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #79
stinkbomb1020

I think or really guessing that the Gov & Co.-yet to be established, will plan another assault of sorts on the prison.
Whether he initiates a full-on frontal attack or sneaks in by stealth or false pretenses.
I don't trust the slippery SOB! Even the bitters have trouble getting him!

Last edited by stinkbomb1020 : 11-19-2013 at 05:42 PM.
stinkbomb1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #80
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
I never said "no new characters should ever be introduced"....give me a character I actually care about, then I'm fine. The acting was dreadful by this new group of characters; the weakest I've seen among "new characters" introduced in WD...
There are a number of prison folk who are much less interesting or compelling than the new characters. The acting and writing wasn't bad for the new folks, they did a good job. As I mentioned, I actually found it interesting to see what a group would be like that had basically holed up for the entire event so far and had no interaction with the outside world, knowledge of what had happened, or even much information on how best to survive.

Quote:
I'm perfectly fine with new characters being introduced. But introduce them into a story and with characters we already know about. If you introduce them in an episode that's entirely apart from the rest of the series and the rest of the characters, then it's hard to care about them because we don't know if they'll survive or if/when they'll ever integrate with anyone we care about. Until then, it doesn't make sense to get attached to them.
I don't have any problem getting attached to new characters, at least enough to enjoy watching them, even if they're not related to anyone else. If they're interesting then why wouldn't I want to see what happens to them, even if they don't know any existing characters?

I guess we'll just have to not agree about this... I'm sure we'll get back to the main group before too much longer.

Quote:
I just want to know how they were able to have sex with 2 people, including a child, right next to them!
Very quietly! I thought it was funny how obviously the mom was thinking "hey, I've been stuck in this apartment with only my dad around for many months... even a scruffy catatonic man is looking pretty good!", basically from the moment they first opened the door. I kind of thought that both sisters would make a play for him much earlier than that, and that might be a problem.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #81
zalusky

Quote:
Probably not if you've been surviving out there a long time and know that you will need to ditch the truck at some point in the very near future.

It's been done!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #82
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
...The acting and writing wasn't bad for the new folks, they did a good job....
Oh for crying out loud...you actually liked the girl trying to fist bump the governor? She was horrible throughout the entire episode and the writing was abysmal. The entire scene in that apt. building sucked from the beginning when he spotted one of the women standing in the window. Who would stand in a wide open window in this type of world? Especially if you have no idea who this guy is coming into town? Ridiculous...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #83
zalusky

Quote:
Oh for crying out loud...you actually liked the girl trying to fist bump the governor? She was horrible throughout the entire episode and the writing was abysmal. The entire scene in that apt. building sucked from the beginning when he spotted one of the women standing in the window. Who would stand in a wide open window in this type of world? Especially if you have no idea who this guy is coming into town? Ridiculous...
There are plenty of oblivious people in our world. I can imagine some of them would be still around in that world. Look at the idiotic moves our band of warriors keep making.

I would be more surprised to find somebody who had their head on straight.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #84
cherry ghost

Quote:

That was the girl in the window. And yes, I liked the fist bumping woman.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #85
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
The writing was fine and the acting was also fine. Definitely the fist-bump was awkward. That was intentional, IMO. These people have been completely on their own for about a year or so (we don't know how long the Governor was wandering around). Although they've seen some bad things, they've been largely sheltered from what's going on. They obviously have not had any interactions with roving gangs, or cannibals, or anything like that. From what we can tell most people left that building early in the disaster, and aside from walkers in the town (who can't or haven't wanted to get up the stairs) they've been pretty much left alone. They haven't had to go out scavenging for food. They don't know what's really happening, or how dangerous the living can be as well as the dead.

As far as the window, that was the little girl standing there, not one of the women. That's why the Governor went in there, because she reminded him of Penny. He may have even thought that was Penny. The idea that you can keep a child that age from looking out the window after an entire year of living cooped up like that is what's ridiculous. The way the Governor was shambling along at that point they probably thought HE was a walker... why shouldn't she look out the window at him?
Old 11-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #86
BluesFools

Did you notice that the girl in the window disappeared as he walked in front of the camera? He only obscured it for less than a second, but the window went from open with the girl in it to closed with no-one there. No way an actress could have moved so fast, so this was deliberately edited that way. In a more subtle show that would indicate that the girl was imaginary, which would have to lead to the sisters only existing in his mind too.

If it turns out that he's imagining a girl who substitutes for Penny, and a woman who looks like Maggie, then kudos to the showrunner for carrying that off for the whole episode. More likely it'll never be referenced again though.
BluesFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #87
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Definitely they left him. Who wouldn't? He was obviously completely unstable and they didn't appear to have much attachment to him as a person.

The big tension at the end of the episode comes from two things: first, the governor knows this guy and knows he's not a nice person, so he's worried for his companions.

And second, he's been lying to the women since the first second about who he was: not just his name, but that he was blameless or a victim in the breakdown of the town. He said that the head man lost it. When they find out who is really is and what he's really done, he may lose his new surrogate daughter.
Definitely these two points.

Can he let his buddy with the gun know that he doesn't want to be 'Governor' anymore and to play it cool about that, or does he start to take control again - and use that as a way of protecting the girl and the other women. The thing to remember with the Governor is that he always did have a charming side to him. Even as he was taking people out for torture on one side of town he was organizing campfire s'more rallies on the other side. He wore two faces well until the very end.

Quote:
You guys can continue to hang at the prison and yell "get off my lawn!" at the fence zombies
Best line of the thread.

betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:22 AM   #88
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFools View Post
Did you notice that the girl in the window disappeared as he walked in front of the camera? He only obscured it for less than a second, but the window went from open with the girl in it to closed with no-one there. No way an actress could have moved so fast, so this was deliberately edited that way. In a more subtle show that would indicate that the girl was imaginary, which would have to lead to the sisters only existing in his mind too.

If it turns out that he's imagining a girl who substitutes for Penny, and a woman who looks like Maggie, then kudos to the showrunner for carrying that off for the whole episode. More likely it'll never be referenced again though.
No possible way the writers are that good. And I would call the window edit an editing/continuity error long before I would call it intentional.

Try my new
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:32 AM   #89
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
No possible way the writers are that good. And I would call the window edit an editing/continuity error long before I would call it intentional.
I totally saw that as intentional. A simple act that played with his emotions and memories. It let him know that there were live people in the town.

When I first saw him walking thru the town in that slow, slumped, sluggish style I thought he was trying to get by as a Walker so he wouldn't get attacked. He did look that part from far away. For that matter how did he get by without attracting the attention of the Walkers? I remember way back Glen and Rick did it by smearing dead remains on themselves.

betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #90
pmyers

I can tell that this was just a so/so episode just based on the traction of this thread. Usually we'd have 3+ pages by now and arguing about something