TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #31
Cainebj

well i wasn't looking forward to the governor coming back either but didn't think it was that bad…

i guess i am slow -

i thought his real name is Brian and the message on the barn/garage was left for him indicating that he was going back to whatever place he came from.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #32
stinkbomb1020

I liked the episode. There is a hint of them building the Gov's character up to be somewhat likable by the viewer even though everyone hates his guts and want him to suffer the completed wrath of Michonne and her katana. For me, it's going to be interesting to see how it all unfolds. I don't think I can say that I've found a boring episode since this season started but alas I'm a huge fan of the whole "Zombie Apocalypse" scene in movies and TV and this is one of my favorite shows to EAGERLY watch and IMPATIENTLY wait 'till next episode.

Last edited by stinkbomb1020 : 11-18-2013 at 03:02 PM.
stinkbomb1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #33
sharkster

Oh, I bet they continue on with setting him up as the kinder, gentler governator - until he lowers the boom on either Ricktown or Michonne. I imagine we probably all know that they won't turn him into Mr Nice Guy.

OTOH, I guess he was a different guy before the zombies came so I think he might kind of want to go back to who he was before (now, with his new 'daughter' and maybe even 'wife'? - more crazy gov, perhaps?) but I think his other side will win out at some point. That's who he is now. He's not a nice guy anymore. He is so interesting to watch.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #34
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Found it a little suspect that a food truck would be parked in front of their building, untouched, apparently with a bunch of food still in it. There aren't a ton of survivors, but there are a few, and those that did survive would have ransacked that truck long ago.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #35
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Oh, I bet they continue on with setting him up as the kinder, gentler governator - until he lowers the boom on either Ricktown or Michonne. I imagine we probably all know that they won't turn him into Mr Nice Guy.

OTOH, I guess he was a different guy before the zombies came so I think he might kind of want to go back to who he was before (now, with his new 'daughter' and maybe even 'wife'? - more crazy gov, perhaps?) but I think his other side will win out at some point. That's who he is now. He's not a nice guy anymore. He is so interesting to watch.
My hunch is that he'll try to be a kinder, gentler Guv, but that the (justified) hostility from Rick & Co. will drive him back over the edge.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #36
stinkbomb1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
My hunch is that he'll try to be a kinder, gentler Guv, but that the (justified) hostility from Rick & Co. will drive him back over the edge.
The way he is spying on the prison, he's planning something diabolical, definitely not a "forgive and forget" kumbaya.
I hope he doesn't kill off any main characters. I would rather see the bitters get them instead of the Gov getting any vengeful satisfaction.
Even though we are seeing more of the Gov's humanity side, I hope he suffers a spectacular and agonizing death. I'm still morning Andrea's death. I've always liked Laurie Holden in everything she's done.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #37
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

He may well have been spying, but all we know is he was standing there looking at the prison. For all we know, the wimminfolk are standing behind him, and he's trying to work up the nerve to approach Rick & Co. to plead for asylum.

Or maybe he's spying on them, ready to wreak unholy vengeance upon them. All we know is, he was standing there for a moment looking at the prison. What happens between the end of this episode and his arrival will determine what his goal is.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #38
stinkbomb1020

I agree that's a possibility. I for one will be surprised to see if the Gov puts his hat in his hand when confronted by Rick, unless it's part of his plan to do harm. I just don't see him in the begging way, or Rick in the forgiving mood. Rick just recently exiled Carol of whom he loved as family for the greater good. With the twists this show has already produced, it's going to be interesting and not boring to see where the story takes us with the Gov saga.
Of course that's just my 2 cents.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #39
zalusky

Quote:
He may well have been spying, but all we know is he was standing there looking at the prison. For all we know, the wimminfolk are standing behind him, and he's trying to work up the nerve to approach Rick & Co. to plead for asylum.

Or maybe he's spying on them, ready to wreak unholy vengeance upon them. All we know is, he was standing there for a moment looking at the prison. What happens between the end of this episode and his arrival will determine what his goal is.
The wimminfolk may also be held captive by the new group he discovered and he will be asking Rick and company for help.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #40
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:

Towards the end of the episode I figured they are probably setting him to try and find a way to get the wimmenfolk into the prison and with the "good" group.

Either that, or he ends up getting all the wimmenfolk killed, which causes him to have his second psychotic break, and he attacks the prison.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #41
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I still don't trust the Govenor. He didn't even give them his real name -- just picked a name he saw on a wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
He may have taken on the name Brian based on what he read on the side of the barn(?), showing us he is no longer The Governor and just some nice guy people care about, he even gave away his gun (Rick has been carrying the same one for some time now.)
I read a prequel-- The Rise of the Governor--
Spoiler:
In it you were introduced to 2 brothers--a good guy and a more violent, crazy guy. The crazy guy was killed, and the quiet, nice brother (Brian) took his name and became the Governor. So Brian is his name, if they're following that.

I missed what was written on the barn--I'll have to rewatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I think he cares about the kid and has kind of fallen into having her replace his daughter. IMO, chances are good that he's probably just using the adults though.
I kept waiting for the girls to be killed, or maybe him to kill them when the kid couldn't see him, so he could have her to himself.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #42
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I'm a bit surprised by the hate for this episode. I, for one, was glad to get out of the prison for a while. Very claustrophobic and the plotlines are getting old. I was happy to see some new faces and meet some new people. Also, I thought David Morrissey did a fantastic job and I found his performance going virtually catatonic then coming out of it again very compelling. Plus his efforts being out in dangerous territory basically by himself, instead of in a well-orchestrated crew like we see from the prison residents, was quite nerve-wracking.

I agree he didn't seem to be really prepared. I've never understood why they sometimes go by walkers and leave them be. If it were me, if I had a chance, I'd just knife them all as I went by. You never know when you need to make a quick exit and you might as well keep it clear. Closing the door on that one walker was one thing, but leaving the wheelchair walker? Not smart IMO. And where was his knife in the pit? Strange.

Sure it was obvious from the first minute that the father was going to die: in fact they said as much themselves.

And I'm looking forward to next week's episode as well: we may see the beginnings of the next "human" threat to the prison crowd.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #43
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I agree with you, I am not sure why this episode is raising such hate or dislike. Getting away from the prison and seeing some more of what other survivors have had to deal with brings it back home that the prison isn't all that bad.

One thing with this show is that they have said from the beginning that people you will come to care about will die and people you just meet will die and lots of people will die. If the girls die in the next episode, well, that's life in Walking Dead land. If one dies and the others go on to live with the Gov or at the prison, then that could be workable too.

But now we have a new dynamic. Not the Governor and his ladies but the Governor's buddy that pulls him out of the trench and what he is in to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #44
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
The wimminfolk may also be held captive by the new group he discovered and he will be asking Rick and company for help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
Towards the end of the episode I figured they are probably setting him to try and find a way to get the wimmenfolk into the prison and with the "good" group.
This is my take too.

Overall I wasn't wild about the episode because I found the actor playing the "fist bumping" daughter to be unbelievable. And I was never sure of the Gov's motivation or inner-dialog either. His emoting functions on two levels... scowl and not-scowl. Other than that, he gives me nothing.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:31 AM   #45
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I liked this episode a lot. Anything that gets us out of that prison is good and new characters are good.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #46
T-Wolves
Information Junkie

I liked the episode as well. I was getting tired of the "sick people at the prison have meaningful conversations" storyline.

So it appears that we get one more Governor-centric episode and then the following episode is the mid-season finale, right? I'm guessing it won't be a Thanksgiving episode...
T-Wolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #47
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I read a prequel-- The Rise of the Governor--
Spoiler:
In it you were introduced to 2 brothers--a good guy and a more violent, crazy guy. The crazy guy was killed, and the quiet, nice brother (Brian) took his name and became the Governor. So Brian is his name, if they're following that.

I missed what was written on the barn--I'll have to rewatch.
What happens in the comics stays in the comics- it isn't relevant to the TV show.

If you watched The Talking Dead Morrissey said specifically that the name Brian was chosen
Spoiler:
because he saw it on the side of the barn and it just popped into his head when he was asked his name.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #48
Hank
AC•FTW

I liked this episode too for reasons already stated (and you know I'm very critical of the show in general). I just don't like that they turned the Gov into the next Machonne who never talks. I can understand being emotionally scarred, but come on, he's not mute.

Also, didn't they say that truck was filled with food? But on the run when they showed the back of the truck opened, they only showed two boxes of food in the back. WTF? Hey, you're going to need more than that. Where did the rest of the food go? Don't tell me you unloaded it and left it for other survivors to find.

Try my new
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #49
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

one direction they can go is that the Guv wants the prison to himself to protect his new family.

Did anyone else get the impression that the 2 guys at the beginning of the show abandoned/run away from the Guv?
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #50
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I liked this episode too for reasons already stated (and you know I'm very critical of the show in general). I just don't like that they turned the Gov into the next Machonne who never talks. I can understand being emotionally scarred, but come on, he's not mute.

Also, didn't they say that truck was filled with food? But on the run when they showed the back of the truck opened, they only showed two boxes of food in the back. WTF? Hey, you're going to need more than that. Where did the rest of the food go? Don't tell me you unloaded it and left it for other survivors to find.
I think they said it WAS filled with food and they apparently had been living off the truck since the chaos started. (Their dad worked for the company.)
TiVoXL4 - 2TB (1TB external)
Cablevision Raritan Valley, NJ
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #51
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Nothing like an entire episode of characters I don't give a single bit of a damn about in the least to let me take care of some emails I needed to send.
This....what a waste of time....ugh. Probably the worst ep of the series and most certainly the worst of this season...

Oh, and, if they're in wheelchairs are they called "rollers"?
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #52
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Did anyone else get the impression that the 2 guys at the beginning of the show abandoned/run away from the Guv?
That's totally what I thought. What else could it be? They packed up their tents and took the truck. That's why I don't get the implied tension at the end of the episode. What did the Gov do to them (other than kill everyone else)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
I think they said it WAS filled with food and they apparently had been living off the truck since the chaos started. (Their dad worked for the company.)
I thought they still asserted that it was mostly full and they had years supply of pepperoni sticks.

Try my new
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #53
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I agree with you, I am not sure why this episode is raising such hate or dislike. Getting away from the prison and seeing some more of what other survivors have had to deal with brings it back home that the prison isn't all that bad...
But these are people we have no "attachment" to; we don't care about them. I still maintain it was a VERY poor episode and just took up some time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
...Overall I wasn't wild about the episode because I found the actor playing the "fist bumping" daughter to be unbelievable. And I was never sure of the Gov's motivation or inner-dialog either. His emoting functions on two levels... scowl and not-scowl. Other than that, he gives me nothing.
Totally agree; the acting was subpar at best...horrible at worst.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #54
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I don't have that much attachment to anyone on this show. It's not like any of them are totally likeable.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #55
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Um...duh?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #56
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
That's totally what I thought. What else could it be? They packed up their tents and took the truck. That's why I don't get the implied tension at the end of the episode. What did the Gov do to them (other than kill everyone else)?
Definitely they left him. Who wouldn't? He was obviously completely unstable and they didn't appear to have much attachment to him as a person.

The big tension at the end of the episode comes from two things: first, the governor knows this guy and knows he's not a nice person, so he's worried for his companions.

And second, he's been lying to the women since the first second about who he was: not just his name, but that he was blameless or a victim in the breakdown of the town. He said that the head man lost it. When they find out who is really is and what he's really done, he may lose his new surrogate daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
But these are people we have no "attachment" to; we don't care about them. I still maintain it was a VERY poor episode and just took up some time...
Eh, what? Every new person that comes on the show is someone "we have no attachment to". Are you saying that no new characters should ever be introduced? With the rate of deaths on this show that would quickly mean no more show.

As for the acting, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm glad for this episode and I hope we get more new people, new stories, new faces next week. The prison was boring me. It was claustrophobic, and verging on soap opera. Give it a rest for a while! I want to get out into the country and see what's going on!

You guys can continue to hang at the prison and yell "get off my lawn!" at the fence zombies
Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #57
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
I'm a bit surprised by the hate for this episode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I agree with you, I am not sure why this episode is raising such hate or dislike.
I'm actually surprised there isn't more dislike. Seems to me most in this thread liked it and I just don't understand that.

Quote:
I think that was pretty obvious. They didn't like him that much to begin with, but when he became basically catatonic, they realized he was not only unpleasant but also a threat to their survival if they had to babysit him. So they ditched him and left him to die. And the scene at the end I assume was them being shocked that he was still alive.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #58
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I'm actually surprised there isn't more dislike. Seems to me most in this thread liked it and I just don't understand that....
Nor I....
Old 11-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #59
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
...Eh, what? Every new person that comes on the show is someone "we have no attachment to". Are you saying that no new characters should ever be introduced? With the rate of deaths on this show that would quickly mean no more show.

As for the acting, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree....
I never said "no new characters should ever be introduced"....give me a character I actually care about, then I'm fine. The acting was dreadful by this new group of characters; the weakest I've seen among "new characters" introduced in WD...
Old 11-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #60
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
You guys can continue to hang at the prison and yell "get off my lawn!" at the fence zombies
I may not entirely agree or disagree with your larger points. But this was funny.