TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Fofer
༺♥༻
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 65,925
TC CLUB MEMBER
Will TiVo (Premiere) units *ever* get Amazon Instant Prime?



We have access to the original "Instant Video" but not the new unlimited "Prime Instant Video." So I'm just wondering, is this something we've heard from TiVo/Amazon that is in the works? Or have they just said "not currently available?"

I realize that even if they say they're working on it, and/or that it's coming soon, that this could mean 10 months or more of waiting and that there are no guarantees. With TiVo, heck, it might not come out till 2013 (if at all) and it might only be for the newest box. (And that would be long after anyone cares much about Amazon Prime Instant video... and there would be some newer service that everyone's enjoying, that's not compatible with TiVo. )

I'm just wondering if either of these companies have made any statement at all? Or is the odd screenshot above is all we have to go with on the subject?

TiVo's sad asterisk stands out like a sore thumb. It's the ONLY box that doesn't support this service. For shame. I thought the Premiere was the "one box."
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
socrplyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 994
Tivo doesn't actually have access to "Instant Video."
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Fofer
༺♥༻
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 65,925
TC CLUB MEMBER
Okay so we have "Unbox?" I thought they got rid of that title. What would you call the Amazon feature we have currently?

Regardless, on my Premiere when I go to the Video On Demand menu, the first option listed is "Amazon Instant Video." No, it's not instant and it's not the new Prime Instant that I mention in the OP, but it's something, And they've labelled it "Amazon Instant Video" on our existing menus. So what's your point?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 6,803
I think they call it "Amazon VOD" on the TiVo (that's what they call it on my TiVo HD), but it's still basically just "Amazon Instant Video".

All the videos you can get on other devices that have Amazon Instant Video are what's also offered on the TiVo's "VOD".
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
socrplyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 994
Fofer,
I agree with everything you said. I was in a very short and not very clear way pointing out that it isn't just a flipped switch like the other devices got to do. When Tivo can handle the streaming Amazon service, then they will get the Prime service.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Fofer
༺♥༻
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 65,925
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeters View Post
I think they call it "Amazon VOD" on the TiVo (that's what they call it on my TiVo HD), but it's still basically just "Amazon Instant Video".

All the videos you can get on other devices that have Amazon Instant Video are what's also offered on the TiVo's "VOD".
Well on the Premiere it's called "Amazon Instant Video" but it is a different service with different terms, content and cost from what's offered to other devices with Amazon's new Prime Instant Video.


Quote:
Prime instant videos provide unlimited, commercial-free, instant streaming of thousands of movies and TV shows at no additional cost with a $79 annual Amazon Prime membership, which also includes fast shipping along with other benefits. Prime instant videos can be watched instantly on a Mac, PC and nearly 200 models of Internet-connected TVs, Blu-ray players and set-top-boxes that are compatible with Amazon Instant Video. All of the movies and TV shows are commercial-free and some are available in HD.

__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Fofer
༺♥༻
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 65,925
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
Fofer,
I agree with everything you said. I was in a very short and not very clear way pointing out that it isn't just a flipped switch like the other devices got to do. When Tivo can handle the streaming Amazon service, then they will get the Prime service.
Gotcha. Well, since TiVo can (kinda, albeit poorly) stream video via their Netflix app, you'd think they could at least do the same with Amazon's Prime Instant Video.

According to their marketing materials, Amazon Prime Instant works with "nearly 200 models of Internet-connected TVs, Blu-ray players and set-top-boxes that are compatible with Amazon Instant Video" ... and yet TiVo is the SOLE EXCEPTION. That's kinda sad, considering what this box is supposed to be and do.

Again, the asterisk in that screenshot above... it stands out like a sore thumb. TiVo is the ONLY one that is excluded. That's quite a feat. It shows that TiVo's software design and implementation isn't as flexible as all the others, which were able to embrace Amazon's new feature without much delay.

What happens when the next new online video service comes along? Why is TiVo now always the latest to the party? This is not a limber company. It consistently feels like an also-ran.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
socrplyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
It shows that TiVo's software design and implementation isn't as flexible as all the others, which were able to embrace Amazon's new feature without much delay.
Note: I am not defending Tivo here.
I look at this differently. None of those boxes ever supported Unbox... Really Tivo supports a different service. Now do I think they should of updated and supported the new service. Definitely.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious
 
gtrogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,643
Now that Hulu has blown the look and feel, Tivo should just go ahead and implement the HTML5 version of Netflix through a custom browser.

Some type of browser support could also make it possible to support the new (and old) Amazon video service. Plus lots of other services like EpixHD, HBOGo, etc.
__________________
Signature
gtrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
Fofer
༺♥༻
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 65,925
TC CLUB MEMBER
Agreed. It's not like TiVo's UI has any consistency at all. They gave up on the HDUI, it seems.

So long as we have access to all the content on one device, on one input of the TV, I'd be content. I'll deal with the disappointing UI. But being locked out from the new services' content just because TiVo can't get their act together is frustrating.

I'd be fine with access via a custom HTML5 browser. Something tells me TiVo isn't limber or flexible enough for that though, either.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
rdodolak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrogue View Post
Now that Hulu has blown the look and feel, Tivo should just go ahead and implement the HTML5 version of Netflix through a custom browser.

Some type of browser support could also make it possible to support the new (and old) Amazon video service. Plus lots of other services like EpixHD, HBOGo, etc.
Agree.

Another annoyance is that a lot of the Amazon Instant Videos are only available in Letterboxed format on the TiVo where as on all other devices the movies are available in true widescreen format. If I wanted my movies to be letterboxed and pillarboxed at the same time I wouldn't have purchased a widescreen television. I'm all for OAR and even though TiVo's implementation retains the OAR on a widescreen television you still have black bars showing on the top/bottom and left/right sides with the movie in a little window in the middle of the screen (even for 1.78:1 content). There's no reason to even show a widscreen movie with bars on the left and right sides of the image (pillarboxed). It just goes to show that those "TiVo" encodes have the black bars on the top and box of the image hard coded into an image with a 4:3 aspect ratio vs. a true widescreen presentation. How long ago did they stopped selling 4:3 aspect ratio televisions, oh that's right it was years ago.

Not to mention TiVo still doesn't support 5.1+ or subtitles.
rdodolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #12
jrtroo
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,153
When I looked at the service, content was weak. While I am a prime member, I could not find anything that was not already on netflix.

TiVo is not in the drivers seat for driving change when implementing new streaming services. I expect less of their look and feel in these new offerings as 1) its more expensive for TiVo to make these changes (and we eventually have to pay for them) and 2) it is more expensive for the service provider.

I'm hoping integrated search is not so expensive that it is eventually completed. Do any of these other devices have that? I'm guessing no.

Netflix only has some of the look and feel because TiVo was an early service provider for their streaming product...
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #13
TheWGP
Hmmm...
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 298
It's not so much about whether Tivo is in the "driver's seat" or not - it's that they aren't even in the vehicle!

They're being literally towed along behind the bus containing almost every other current consumer electronics product, hanging on by the emergency chain after the hitch has broken off!

I'd love to see Prime Instant Video, but in all honesty I don't think Tivo will ever implement it. Their policy has been pretty consistent - one release of a software client like Netflix, Tivo, Youtube, etc - and then never touch it again. So, from Tivo's point of view, the "Amazon logo on the box" is checked off and they have no reason to revisit it at all. You have to remember - Tivo DOES NOT care for customers anymore - Tivo cares about logos and partnerships and litigation - things that will drive MSO deals and provide press releases.

On the bright side, if nothing else, you can at least say they're consistent in their policy of near-zero support for ANY Internet video provider.
TheWGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious
 
gtrogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
Agree.

Another annoyance is that a lot of the Amazon Instant Videos are only available in Letterboxed format on the TiVo where as on all other devices the movies are available in true widescreen format. If I wanted my movies to be letterboxed and pillarboxed at the same time I wouldn't have purchased a widescreen television. I'm all for OAR and even though TiVo's implementation retains the OAR on a widescreen television you still have black bars showing on the top/bottom and left/right sides with the movie in a little window in the middle of the screen (even for 1.78:1 content). There's no reason to even show a widscreen movie with bars on the left and right sides of the image (pillarboxed). It just goes to show that those "TiVo" encodes have the black bars on the top and box of the image hard coded into an image with a 4:3 aspect ratio vs. a true widescreen presentation. How long ago did they stopped selling 4:3 aspect ratio televisions, oh that's right it was years ago.

Not to mention TiVo still doesn't support 5.1+ or subtitles.
I've never noticed the pillar boxed/black matte phenomena you have. Anytime I've ever used Amazon VOD on my Tivo the files have always been 1080p/720p and displayed correctly on my display. I've never watched any SD stuff so it might be different.

Is it possible there is a setting for your display that would correct this issue?
__________________
Signature
gtrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #15
MichaelK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeters View Post
...

All the videos you can get on other devices that have Amazon Instant Video are what's also offered on the TiVo's "VOD".

for free with Prime like you can on the other devices?

can you please give some pointers how to navigate the Tivo menus so i can get my free prime videos on my TiVo S3.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #16
rdodolak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrogue View Post
I've never noticed the pillar boxed/black matte phenomena you have. Anytime I've ever used Amazon VOD on my Tivo the files have always been 1080p/720p and displayed correctly on my display. I've never watched any SD stuff so it might be different.

Is it possible there is a setting for your display that would correct this issue?
My display is setup correctly and I don't experience that issue with Amazon Instant Video on other platforms.

100% of the encodes aren't like that but when I've experienced it I usually double check Amazon's site. Usually when this has happened, Amazon shows the Letterbox image under the Tivo section where as Amazon shows a widescreen image for the other platforms.

I can't speak to this particular movie but as an example you can see the type of image icons I'm referring to under the Video Format Details section of this page:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VGKXIS/

EDIT: As another example, the HD version of Warehouse 13 is in widescreen for TiVo

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GJO6FS/

but the SD version is not according to Amazon (but the other platforms are)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GJVL60/

I think this issue has more to do with SD movies and TV series but it's an annoyance since not all videos are available in HD from Amazon.

Last edited by rdodolak : 05-25-2011 at 02:48 PM.
rdodolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #17
Fofer
༺♥༻
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 65,925
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo
When I looked at the service, content was weak. While I am a prime member, I could not find anything that was not already on netflix.
Perhaps. But unlimited FREE access is granted to Amazon Prime customers. And because I have chosen to stick with TiVo as my primary set-top box, I can't even use it.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #18
sabixx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 105
I don't believe Amazon instant videos are on any device except the roku,so this one really isn't on Tivo.
sabixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #19
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious
 
gtrogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabixx View Post
I don't believe Amazon instant videos are on any device except the roku,so this one really isn't on Tivo.
I think Samsung connected TV's do or will play them soon.
You can watch them on Boxee Box through the web browser. EpixHD also works through the browser. HBOGo has an "app" on the Boxee Box but all it does is launch the browser full screen and go to the HBOGo website.
XfinityTV also plays through the Boxee browser but Hulu doesn't even though the XfinityTV website is using embedded Hulu videos.
__________________
Signature
gtrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #20
rdodolak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabixx View Post
I don't believe Amazon instant videos are on any device except the roku,so this one really isn't on Tivo.
You can watch them on Sony Bravia TVs.
rdodolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #21
sabixx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrogue View Post
I think Samsung connected TV's do or will play them soon.
You can watch them on Boxee Box through the web browser. EpixHD also works through the browser. HBOGo has an "app" on the Boxee Box but all it does is launch the browser full screen and go to the HBOGo website.
XfinityTV also plays through the Boxee browser but Hulu doesn't even though the XfinityTV website is using embedded Hulu videos.

you just made me want a boxee box...lol.

Boxee has a deal with Hulu to bring hulu plus,and since no other box is allowed to access regular Hulu,thats probably why its blocked.
sabixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #22
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious
 
gtrogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabixx View Post
you just made me want a boxee box...lol.

Boxee has a deal with Hulu to bring hulu plus,and since no other box is allowed to access regular Hulu,thats probably why its blocked.
If you have a lot of local content the Boxee Box is pretty great. I mostly use it for playing back my ripped DVD and Blu-ray iso's and mkv files stored on my NAS's. The online stuff is gravy.
__________________
Signature
gtrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #23
MichaelK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabixx View Post
I don't believe Amazon instant videos are on any device except the roku,so this one really isn't on Tivo.
Besides the others listed above- Google TV
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #24
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious
 
gtrogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
Besides the others listed above- Google TV
I'm pretty sure all other devices besides Tivo support Amazon Instant Video.
__________________
Signature
gtrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #25
Fofer
༺♥༻
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 65,925
TC CLUB MEMBER
Hence the asterisk in the image I posted above. Here gang, take a look again:



TiVo is the only device, of all the ones listed, that has the asterisk.

It's the phrase "not currently available" that has me scratching my head. Does that mean it won't ever be? Or is something in the works, with Prime instant videos becoming available to TiVo Premiere users, some day in the future?

And why does it have to be TiVo that gets this unfortunate distinction?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #26
HerronScott
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabixx View Post
I don't believe Amazon instant videos are on any device except the roku,so this one really isn't on Tivo.
Works on my older Panasonic plasma. Just watched an older Top Gear episode via my free Prime Instant Video benefit on it just to see how well it worked. Seemed to work fine (and we've never had any issues with NetFlix either).

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #27
sabixx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 105
yeah,looks like im completely wrong. just another thing I can properly blame on Tivo

and yeah, the wording in that picture definitely imply that something is coming, it might just be a bad choice of words tho.
sabixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #28
sbiller
Registered User
 
sbiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
It's the phrase "not currently available" that has me scratching my head. Does that mean it won't ever be? Or is something in the works, with Prime instant videos becoming available to TiVo Premiere users, some day in the future?
Per MegaZone TiVo is working on adding the capability. My guess is we will see it within the next 3 months.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #29
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 12,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Gotcha. Well, since TiVo can (kinda, albeit poorly) stream video via their Netflix app, you'd think they could at least do the same with Amazon's Prime Instant Video.

.............
Streaming from the Netflix application on TiVo is excellent. Plus the TiVo supports Native resolution output. I wish all netflix enabled devices worked as well as it does on the TiVo. Now what is lacking from the TiVo Netflix app is features. But for just streaming the items in your queue, the netflix app on the TiVo is superb.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x2
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #30
ecoblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 29
++

I really hope that TiVo is working on supporting Amazon Prime Instant Video. The service doesn't have a ton of content now, but it is clear that Amazon wants to be a contender and will be adding more.

Netflix's actual video streaming functionality and quality on my two TiVo Premiere's (and my mom's TiVo HD) is superior, in my opinion, to my Wii (slow startup time, no HD) AND my PS3 (slower startup time, no native resolution support). For me, Netflix's lack of native resolution support on the PS3 makes it a hassle to use for all except HD content. Since I watch a mix, I prefer the TiVo.

I manage my Netflix queue on my iPhone or computer, but I still want TiVo to update their Netflix client. I don't care too much if they make a new native client retaining the TiVo look and feel, or an HTML5 client with the Netflix 'standard' interface--I just want it updated so that the TiVo maintains feature parity with other Netflix devices. I think that having updated software is an important part of the premium image they are trying to project.
ecoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |