TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Rebate_King
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 249
Received an upgrade offer via email today.

https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/roam...e?v=XA0N017T4W
Rebate_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
bayern_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 194
Thanks for the link.

It looks like this is basically an online version of the deals for Roamio/Plus/Pro that people have had to call into TiVo Phone Sales to get.
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!
 
BlackBetty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,391
Interesting. The prices reflect non MSD lifetime pricing. Would the price be $100 cheaper with MSD? The pro is listed as $899. If I already have a lifetime unit, will the price drop to $799 in my cart? $200 off the retail price of the pro?

If this is the case, I may have to finally pull the trigger.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Austin Bike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 558
When I tried it, the site removed $100 from my service, but only $50 from the unit.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
CloudAtlas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
Interesting. The prices reflect non MSD lifetime pricing. Would the price be $100 cheaper with MSD? The pro is listed as $899. If I already have a lifetime unit, will the price drop to $799 in my cart? $200 off the retail price of the pro?

If this is the case, I may have to finally pull the trigger.

Order summary

TiVo Roamio Pro $599.99
with discount applied $500.00

Product Lifetime service $399.99
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Promo code $899.99
XA0N017T4W
CloudAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
L David Matheny
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SE Ohio
Posts: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
Interesting. The prices reflect non MSD lifetime pricing. Would the price be $100 cheaper with MSD? The pro is listed as $899. If I already have a lifetime unit, will the price drop to $799 in my cart? $200 off the retail price of the pro?

If this is the case, I may have to finally pull the trigger.
After chasing a few links, I would say yes, you should also get the MSD. But I haven't actually tried it yet.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
They're talking about this in the Roamio Deals thread.

The promo code appears to be unique for each individual.

MSD is figured into the savings, so you're really only getting $25/$50/$100 off (look at the regular price in red, above the sale price).

Not a good deal, IMO.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 11-05-2013 at 08:50 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
supasta
Registered User
 
supasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Not a good deal, IMO.
I agree. I could sell my lifetime Premiere 4 and get a better return than what this promo code offers me. It seems like a small gesture to appease those who want an upgrade option. I'm sure some will bite, just not me. My premiere might be slow, but it gets the job done.
__________________
TiVo Roamio Pro Lifetime ∙ TiVo Mini Lifetime

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by supasta View Post
...My premiere might be slow, but it gets the job done.
This.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
bsmith1051
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 95
FYI - this offer is showing-up in the onscreen ads, too. I second the idea that the Premiere is fast enough... if barely. I'll wait until after the Holidays to see what the next series of upgrade offers holds.
bsmith1051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:49 AM   #11
davidahn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18
TiVo... I love 'em but I hate 'em

TiVo has always been their own worst enemy in terms of gaining market share.

1. Gouging. Who wants to pay $14.99 a month FOREVER for a GUIDE service?!? We already bought the box and the software. I guarantee if service was $6/mo or $10/mo for a household, they'd get MILLIONS of new subscribers. And $500 for a new subscriber PLS?!? Do they NOT want people to buy PLS? They compare their $20/mo to cable's $20/mo HD DVR boxes, but that's a ridiculous comparison, since you didn't buy the cable box for $600.

2. Fake deals. Time and again I've been fooled by great sounding deals that promise $150-200 off but end up being zero to $50 off their regular prices: they keep advertising the MSD as a "deal" even though it's POLICY. I got 4 Premieres I got free with TV purchases 2 Black Fridays ago that I won't activate because of their refusal to budge on PLS/monthly pricing. And now this "deal." I just went to their site promising $200 off the regular $1199 for Pro + PLS. I log in to get the promised $200 plus hopefully my $100 MSD, but it ends up $999, just like it's ALWAYS been ($1099-$100 MSD). Entering the coupon shows "discount already applied". If it was $200 off PLUS $100 off, I was gonna buy it tonight. But instead, it's NO CHEAPER than their everyday pricing. Are people falling for this? Am I doing something wrong and there really IS a deal?

3. Feature removal. When they first made the TiVo app for iPhone/iPad, it was awesome: you could see the guide, your Now Playing, To Do list, everything, on my Premiere AND the S3. But somewhere about 1-2 years ago they REMOVED half the features for the S3. They BROKE products you'd paid for PLS on to get you to buy a new box and pay PLS again. Oh, TiVo, you make it so hard to love you.

At this point TiVo has pissed away all my loyalty. I fill out those TiVo surveys month after month and they NEVER listen.

David
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
Who wants to pay $14.99 a month FOREVER for a GUIDE service?!? We already bought the box and the software.


You really can't look at it as *just* guide service. You are not buying the software, only leasing it.
It's no different than some of the other software programs out there for a computer. If you stop paying, the software stops working, or you get limited functionality.

I do agree with #2, however. TiVo could (and should) do a much better job for long time existing customers.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
philhu
User Since Day ONE!
 
philhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Funcity, MA
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post

3. Feature removal. When they first made the TiVo app for iPhone/iPad, it was awesome: you could see the guide, your Now Playing, To Do list, everything, on my Premiere AND the S3. But somewhere about 1-2 years ago they REMOVED half the features for the S3. They BROKE products you'd paid for PLS on to get you to buy a new box and pay PLS again. Oh, TiVo, you make it so hard to love you.

At this point TiVo has pissed away all my loyalty. I fill out those TiVo surveys month after month and they NEVER listen.

David
I agree on this. They seem to remove features and not fix bugs EVER on products that are not current. I bought a DVR and discovered bugs. The fact they did not fix them while the product was current, even though they knew about them, is not my fault.

My pet peeve is their removal of the 'start paused program where I left off' when watching on a second tivo.

My second is the hdgui. The premiere was released with it half done. They PROMISED 'a future release' would complete it. On a premiere it will never be finished making the product look and feel half-assed.

Even if they had take the old sd gui stuff and displayed it in the hd gui as a window, showing the top icons and live play, I would have been happy.


As you, I used to fill out the surveys every month and nothing EVER got done with what I was asking for.

I know I went off topic, and I apologize, but I answered another post.
__________________
-----------------
Phillips (S1-retired)
Sony SVR-2000 (S1-retired)
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #14
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday
 
pdhenry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 11,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
And $500 for a new subscriber PLS?!? Do they NOT want people to buy PLS?
Why would they?
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
TiVo has always been their own worst enemy in terms of gaining market share.

1. Gouging. Who wants to pay $14.99 a month FOREVER for a GUIDE service?!? We already bought the box and the software. I guarantee if service was $6/mo or $10/mo for a household, they'd get MILLIONS of new subscribers. And $500 for a new subscriber PLS?!? Do they NOT want people to buy PLS? They compare their $20/mo to cable's $20/mo HD DVR boxes, but that's a ridiculous comparison, since you didn't buy the cable box for $600.

2. Fake deals. Time and again I've been fooled by great sounding deals that promise $150-200 off but end up being zero to $50 off their regular prices: they keep advertising the MSD as a "deal" even though it's POLICY. I got 4 Premieres I got free with TV purchases 2 Black Fridays ago that I won't activate because of their refusal to budge on PLS/monthly pricing. And now this "deal." I just went to their site promising $200 off the regular $1199 for Pro + PLS. I log in to get the promised $200 plus hopefully my $100 MSD, but it ends up $999, just like it's ALWAYS been ($1099-$100 MSD). Entering the coupon shows "discount already applied". If it was $200 off PLUS $100 off, I was gonna buy it tonight. But instead, it's NO CHEAPER than their everyday pricing. Are people falling for this? Am I doing something wrong and there really IS a deal?

3. Feature removal. When they first made the TiVo app for iPhone/iPad, it was awesome: you could see the guide, your Now Playing, To Do list, everything, on my Premiere AND the S3. But somewhere about 1-2 years ago they REMOVED half the features for the S3. They BROKE products you'd paid for PLS on to get you to buy a new box and pay PLS again. Oh, TiVo, you make it so hard to love you.

At this point TiVo has pissed away all my loyalty. I fill out those TiVo surveys month after month and they NEVER listen.

David
Loving a corporation is crazy, in fact I will go further and say being loyal to a corporation is even crazier. TiVo produces a product as consumers we can either buy it or not and the only reason to buy it is because we want the product and believe it is the best value we can buy or simple put we believe buying it is in our best interests.

Your whole statement boils down to TiVos cost too much. You want TiVo to provide their product for less and actually provide you with more than they are now (more support for old products). Pretty much I think that is what most people feel about everything or simple put consumers always want more for less.

The only reason TiVo would do either is if TiVo believed it was in their best interests to do so, or simple put if TiVo believed they would make more money doing so. So unless TiVo's management is crazy the current price point and service level is where they believe they can maximize profits.

I don't think the market for stand alone DVRs, given the current difficulties users have to be willing to deal with (self install & support, cable cards, tuning adapter, not working with Satellite, etc.) is very large. So frankly I think we are lucky TiVo is still even around at all (and I don't think they would be if it weren't for there cable company market). In the end it is just like every other product we can either buy it or not. Bi***ing about the cost will not change it but may make us feel better .
__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 11-11-2013 at 02:18 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #16
davidahn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18
Sorry I brought up OT issues, but it kinda is the issue: a deal that isn't really a deal... that's on topic. Discussing whether to buy from a company that extorts existing users into buying new hardware by removing features from a product you bought AND asks you to abandon "lifetime" service you paid for and buy new service... that's on topic.

@atmuscarella, I agree the market for people OK with TiVo's business model (BUY hardware AND service) is small. People either buy hardware OR lease it, but NO ONE pays for maintenance, and NO ONE leases DVR software but us. Since not a lot of people are signing up for TiVo's business model, they need to either generate new revenue from existing customers or change their business model. I'm proposing the latter: the service fees are dangerously close to cable DVR lease pricing; MILLIONS have demonstrated acceptance of this model, and this is an opportunity to GROW their revenue base. Raise the fee to include hardware lease, or lower the fee for those who buy their hardware.

But TiVo insists instead on squeezing more money out of existing loyal customers by constantly asking us to abandon our investment in PLS. Sure, it was clear from the beginning PLS was for the lifetime of the product, but if we paid a BIG chunk up front (I've paid it TWICE - S3, Premiere, and I'm sure others have paid even more), we expect to not pay again for a GOOD LONG TIME. But TiVo continues to play chicken with PLS members: how many cool features do we have to add (great job on the Roamio), and how many features do we have to take away (ahem... S3 app features) to get you to give up the $800 you invested in PLS, and more importantly, pay through the nose AGAIN? And how many fake deals do we have to be disappointed by before we start ignoring them altogether?

A brief history lesson: Apple had the same business model from 1984-1997: premium pricing on premium products. Sales were 80-90% to repeat customers. They nearly went bankrupt until Steve Jobs returned in 1997 and 1) changed their business model (affordable pricing, still premium products) and 2) created new mass market product categories (mobile). No. 2 isn't easy, though they could make remote streaming a small extra charge while they tackle creating whole product categories. But No. 1 is SUPER easy: charge the SAME as cable: $20/mo for service PLUS hardware, or $6-10/mo for just service (1 box vs. household). The cable business has shown us what the market will bear, and aside from a few of us TiVo snobs, THIS AIN'T IT. (And if you couldn't tell, I'm not bearing it any more either.)

Last edited by davidahn : 11-14-2013 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Corrections
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #17
davidahn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18
B-tching

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
In the end it is just like every other product we can either buy it or not. Bi***ing about the cost will not change it but may make us feel better .
You're right, of course, the consumer wants more for less, but the flip side is companies want to give you less for more. Apple, like TiVo, kept wishing people would pay more for their insanely great product, but very few did. As you say, the consumer has the final say. Lucky they're still around? Yes, I suppose, since I really do love my TiVo user experience. But TiVo can either continue to struggle like Apple ca. 1995-1997, or they can thrive by opening up new revenue streams like Apple 1997 on.

Am I b-tching? I suppose. But I really hope someone will listen, because I DON'T want to be orphaned. I DON'T want TiVo to die. But that doesn't mean I'll be fooled by misleading advertising or buy into their ill-conceived business model. I'm hoping they'll come to their senses and accept the proven price points the cable companies have already figured out for them.
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #18
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: North Potomac, MD
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
Am I b-tching? I suppose. But I really hope someone will listen, because I DON'T want to be orphaned. I DON'T want TiVo to die. But that doesn't mean I'll be fooled by misleading advertising or buy into their ill-conceived business model. I'm hoping they'll come to their senses and accept the proven price points the cable companies have already figured out for them.
Sorry, but you're completely ignoring economic reality. Over the past 14 years, TiVo has proven to themselves and their stockholders that their current income scheme and price points are substantially too LOW for TiVo to survive depending on the stand-alone market. And you want them to reduce the price points even further???

TiVo has been forced to abandon the stand-alone market as their future primary focus. Except for patent litigation, they haven't really made a profit at any time in the past 14 years (they broke even a couple of quarters). Their primary attention now is selling the TiVo software to cable companies.
__________________
CrispyCritter
TiVo Roamio:Felix TiVo Premiere:Bob TiVo XL4:Fred TiVo HDXL:Sharon TiVoHD:Susan
CrispyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #19
philw1776
Registered User
 
philw1776's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
TiVo has always been their own worst enemy in terms of gaining market share.

1. Gouging. Who wants to pay $14.99 a month FOREVER for a GUIDE service?!? We already bought the box and the software. I guarantee if service was $6/mo or $10/mo for a household, they'd get MILLIONS of new subscribers. And $500 for a new subscriber PLS?!? Do they NOT want people to buy PLS? They compare their $20/mo to cable's $20/mo HD DVR boxes, but that's a ridiculous comparison, since you didn't buy the cable box for $600.

2. Fake deals. Time and again I've been fooled by great sounding deals that promise $150-200 off but end up being zero to $50 off their regular prices: they keep advertising the MSD as a "deal" even though it's POLICY. I got 4 Premieres I got free with TV purchases 2 Black Fridays ago that I won't activate because of their refusal to budge on PLS/monthly pricing. And now this "deal." I just went to their site promising $200 off the regular $1199 for Pro + PLS. I log in to get the promised $200 plus hopefully my $100 MSD, but it ends up $999, just like it's ALWAYS been ($1099-$100 MSD). Entering the coupon shows "discount already applied". If it was $200 off PLUS $100 off, I was gonna buy it tonight. But instead, it's NO CHEAPER than their everyday pricing. Are people falling for this? Am I doing something wrong and there really IS a deal?

3. Feature removal. When they first made the TiVo app for iPhone/iPad, it was awesome: you could see the guide, your Now Playing, To Do list, everything, on my Premiere AND the S3. But somewhere about 1-2 years ago they REMOVED half the features for the S3. They BROKE products you'd paid for PLS on to get you to buy a new box and pay PLS again. Oh, TiVo, you make it so hard to love you.

At this point TiVo has pissed away all my loyalty. I fill out those TiVo surveys month after month and they NEVER listen.

David
Loyal early TiVo customer since Jan 2001. Last box I bought was a Premier x4 again with Lifetime.
NETFLIX doesn't work as advertised. Can't connect pictures, etc. from my MAC because TiVo stopped supporting new MAC OS with Desktop. So the reasons other than HD that I bought the supposedly "everything" box aren't there as advertised.

They can stick their Romeo offer where the sun don't shine.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #20
lujan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Loyal early TiVo customer since Jan 2001. Last box I bought was a Premier x4 again with Lifetime.
NETFLIX doesn't work as advertised. Can't connect pictures, etc. from my MAC because TiVo stopped supporting new MAC OS with Desktop. So the reasons other than HD that I bought the supposedly "everything" box aren't there as advertised.

They can stick their Romeo offer where the sun don't shine.
Yes, I haven't seen any real good deals in a long time. I'm happy with my 3 Premieres (two with Lifetime). I never record more than 2 shows at a time and unless they start broadcasting in 4k, I see no reason to upgrade to the latest TiVo. I'll use my Premieres until they crash and even then, I may think about getting new parts rather than another TiVo?
__________________
lujan
664 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:53 AM   #21
g808
Registered User
 
g808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 86
Maybe off topic, but seems to continue the flow of the thread. I'm disappointed we basically have to upgrade to a Roamio to get good UI performance. The HTML 5 UI on the Roamio is what should have been in the Premiere's HDUI from the start. I would have at least expected a free upgrade to the new UI on the Premiere. Forget the other stuff. My, and I'm sure many people's, complaint has been the poor UI performance. I don't think that's being unreasonable.
__________________
TiVo Customer Since 2006
Premiere Elite, Premiere XL, Series3, TiVo Mini, TiVo Stream
g808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #22
hershey4
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Red Sox Nation
Posts: 165
don't forget advertising revenue

It looks like they are looking for increased advertising revenue streams too. I see the new Premiere update triggerred more ads.

Often the internet business model is that paid subscribers receive less (none?) ads than free subscribers. Not so here...we are all in the same boat. I would pay more for less ads. (well... a little more $...not a lot). But if we just keep getting more and more ads as time goes on, I can see the subscriber base dwindle.

I know I would get turned off and have to reconsider cable dvr (not thrilled with Premier overall and not willing to reinvest in Roamio means goodbye tivo if you continue to shove ads at me).
hershey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #23
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by g808 View Post
Maybe off topic, but seems to continue the flow of the thread. I'm disappointed we basically have to upgrade to a Roamio to get good UI performance. The HTML 5 UI on the Roamio is what should have been in the Premiere's HDUI from the start. I would have at least expected a free upgrade to the new UI on the Premiere. Forget the other stuff. My, and I'm sure many people's, complaint has been the poor UI performance. I don't think that's being unreasonable.
So you have to "upgrade" to an S5 to get what you should have had with an S4?

Sounds like the Microsoft way of doing things.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #24
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by g808 View Post
Maybe off topic, but seems to continue the flow of the thread. I'm disappointed we basically have to upgrade to a Roamio to get good UI performance. The HTML 5 UI on the Roamio is what should have been in the Premiere's HDUI from the start. I would have at least expected a free upgrade to the new UI on the Premiere. Forget the other stuff. My, and I'm sure many people's, complaint has been the poor UI performance. I don't think that's being unreasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
So you have to "upgrade" to an S5 to get what you should have had with an S4?

Sounds like the Microsoft way of doing things.
The HDUI on the Roamio is still Flash based, as far as I know support for HTML 5 apps doesn't change the actual HDUI performance. The reality is very simple Premiere hardware is from 2009 or earlier and when running the HDUI it isn't going to be fast or perform like the Roamio EVER. So yes if someone wants faster hardware they have to upgrade. Or if you simple want a faster UI on the Premiere switch to the SDUI which is very fast/responsive.
__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 11-18-2013 at 12:21 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #25
g808
Registered User
 
g808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 86
I figured someone would come with the old vs. new hardware. All I'm saying is that Tivo shouldn't have teased with a newer UI if the hardware couldn't handle it. It just feels like the UI on the Roamio is what the Premiere should have been. I can understand upgrading for 6 tuners or built in Stream capability, etc.
__________________
TiVo Customer Since 2006
Premiere Elite, Premiere XL, Series3, TiVo Mini, TiVo Stream
g808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #26
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 16,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
TiVo has always been their own worst enemy in terms of gaining market share.

1. Gouging. Who wants to pay $14.99 a month FOREVER for a GUIDE service?!? We already bought the box and the software. I guarantee if service was $6/mo or $10/mo for a household, they'd get MILLIONS of new subscribers. And $500 for a new subscriber PLS?!? Do they NOT want people to buy PLS? They compare their $20/mo to cable's $20/mo HD DVR boxes, but that's a ridiculous comparison, since you didn't buy the cable box for $600.
Wait, PLS is a deal *compared to paying monthly*. You can't have both of them.
(Plus, you're not paying JUST for the guide service, you are getting the sporadic software updates free too.)

BTW, I agree they're very expensive, BUT amortizing the *existing* high lifetime prices is STILL a deal in the long run compared to cable box hardware.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |