TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
pgoelz

Zoom setting doesn't stick

Is it just me pressing the zoom button unintentionally, or does the latest firmware have an issue where the zoom setting keeps reverting to either zoom or full? I don't think it is me since this never happened before the latest update.

Also, when I notice that SD content is full screen and I press the zoom button once, it shows PANEL. That would appear to indicate that the Tivo thinks the setting is still PANEL, not ZOOM or FULL???? Pressing it repeatedly until it cycles back to PANEL causes the SD content to revert to showing sidebars as expected.

This issue is HIGHLY annoying. When the zoom setting changes and I don't notice it, ALL programming expands to fill the screen and I don't notice it right away until I realize that shows that I know to be SD look worse than usual.

Paul
pgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
kdmorse

I have noticed this, (and been annoyed by it) as well.

It seems to be slipping into a mode where it stretches the content, without actually leaving Panel mode. So you need to cycle all the way around Panel -> Zoom -> Full -> Panel to get it back the way you want.
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #3
tarheelblue32

It's a software bug. I think it was introduced in the summer update. Hopefully they will fix it in the fall update next month.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
pgoelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
It's a software bug. I think it was introduced in the summer update. Hopefully they will fix it in the fall update next month.
It WILL NOT be fixed unless we report it to Tivo. And due to their internal process, it appears it can fall off the bottom of the list unless ENOUGH people report it. That is unfortunate.

I called them this morning to report it and was initially told that behavior is "by design". I was crystal clear that the issue involved how HD and SD VIDEO was displayed but the call taker apparently assumed I was talking about the new somewhat compressed MENU display (due to the added column). I did not realize that we were on different pages and asked several times WHY this would be by design. When I didn't get an understandable answer, I asked to speak to a supervisor. In THAT conversation I realized that the first rep had mis-understood me. We had a lengthy conversation about the issue and he wrote it up. He also asked me to use the two CONTACT US options ("ask a question" and "send a feature request") and include my reference number for the case. He also asked that I re-contact them if I discovered what triggered the behavior. It is NOT triggered simply by switching between SD and HD content.

Now to see if it gets fixed. Again, folks.... if you see a bug like this, report it and be persistent until you are sure it is understood. As has been noted with other issues, the Tivo support people are not always fully aware of issues. Its kind of like reporting a power failure to the power comapny.... everyone assumes they are aware of it so no one calls

Paul
Old 08-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
jrtroo
User

There are many threads on this. It may be more productive to add to the other ones....
Old 08-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I already wrote to Margret about this issue a couple weeks ago and she said they already knew about it.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 08-15-2014 at 01:18 AM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
pgoelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
There are many threads on this. It may be more productive to add to the other ones....
Perhaps I was searching for the wrong keywords? I searched and didn't find anything that seemed to be devoted to this issue. There were some hits in VERY long threads that were not specifically dealing with it and I wasn't into spending the hours required to read through them.

Can you suggest an appropriate thread to read?

EDIT: I did another search and while I did not find ANY threads specifically dealing with this issue, after a LOT of reading I found it mentioned in two threads.... "TiVo Priority Update Page is LIVE for 20.4.2 (Summer Update) " and 20.4.2 Release Notes. No one said they had actually reported it to Tivo. And again, when I called Tivo technical support, the initial support rep AND the supervisor both were totally unaware that there even WAS a problem. I know that it is normal for them to express ignorance of major ongoing issues, but.....

So they now have at least one open case on this issue. They asked if I could tell them what triggers the issue. I can not so far... can any one here duplicate it at will?

Paul

Last edited by pgoelz : 08-14-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
They asked if I could tell them what triggers the issue. I can not so far... can any one here duplicate it at will?

Paul
Resetting the HDUI will trigger the FULL mode, and there is also a bug were the HDUI is randomly resetting. Also pressing the sequence below sometimes causes my TiVo to completely freeze up requiring a Reboot.

Pressing the following sequence will trigger the FULL mode bug, because it will reset the HDUI.
Also every time the TiVo does a Reboot, it will default to FULL mode.

From TiVo Central:
Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play

EDIT: Just after I posted this, I pressed: Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play, and my Roamio Pro completely froze on the TiVo Central screen, I was forced to do a hard reboot, by unplugging.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 08-14-2014 at 08:58 PM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:21 PM   #9
mattack

It has been mentioned in many of the other threads.. Basically, at least once a day, it thinks it's in panel mode, but it's in full mode.. so I have to hit panel a bunch of times to get back to panel.

and yes, they have reported it to tivo.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
pgoelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
It has been mentioned in many of the other threads.. Basically, at least once a day, it thinks it's in panel mode, but it's in full mode.. so I have to hit panel a bunch of times to get back to panel.

and yes, they have reported it to tivo.
That once again points out that Tivo has a serious internal communications issue with tech support. They claimed total ignorance of the issue when I called.

Paul
Old 08-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #11
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
That once again points out that Tivo has a serious internal communications issue with tech support. They claimed total ignorance of the issue when I called.

Paul

That's why you should report issue(s) on forums.tivo.com. It's more direct Tivo people there.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #12
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

* sigh *

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #13
pgoelz

Has this just been fixed? It has not happened in a couple days and that is a record.

Paul
Old 08-18-2014, 08:57 AM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

It happened to me overnight, so I'd say "no"...
Old 08-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #15
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
It happened to me overnight, so I'd say "no"...
Agree.....but it seems sporadic to me. I watch the SD version of Sundance (we don't yet have the HD channel), and I can go a few days not watching it, then come back and it's still zoomed to fill the screen. Other times, it reverts...weird....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I've seen no pattern. I'd say it happens more days than not, but by no means every day. Usually overnight, but once in a while in the middle of the day.

When I'm not watching TV, I have it set to a channel that has an SD security camera feed for my building, so I notice pretty quickly when it happens...