TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
barrett14

How will Xbox One work with Roamio?

How will the Tivo Roamio and Xbox One work together? Would my Xbox one go in between my receiver and Tivo? Or would I plug the Xbox One directly into the receiver?

I hope they go well together.
barrett14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Have you met the other discussion yet?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=504692
Old 11-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
Coffee

Assuming you had multiple devices with your TV (videogame system, dvd player, blu-ray player, dvr, *insert other device here*), you would hook them up in the same way, separately.

If your receiver has multiple inputs, put the DVR and your system into different inputs. If your receiver doesn't have multiple inputs, you might have to put one into your receiver and one into your TV. Your TV should have multiple inputs.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

The XB1 wont really be able to control the TiVo so it's not going to do much for TiVo users. It's meant more for users with basic cable boxes watching live TV. It doesn't have enough built in commands to control the full functionality of a DVR.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The XB1 wont really be able to control the TiVo so it's not going to do much for TiVo users. It's meant more for users with basic cable boxes watching live TV. It doesn't have enough built in commands to control the full functionality of a DVR.
I don't have one yet but does it not support TiVos at all? All it really needs to do is to be able to change channels since that is pretty much all you can do from the Xbox guide anyways.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
en sabur nur

It will only change channels on the Tivo, by using the Kinect as an IR blaster. It will NOT integrate any of your Tivo recordings, nor will it be able to set up any recordings on your Tivo, no matter the model (Roamio, Premiere, Series 3 etc) Any other control will be through your Tivo Remote the iPad app or a third party remote, if you use one to control your Tivo (Harmony, Roomie Remote etc.).
en sabur nur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by en sabur nur View Post
It will only change channels on the Tivo, by using the Kinect as an IR blaster.
But that is pretty much all Xbox has advertised the tv integration will do. The main benefit of hooking up your TiVo to the Xbox One is so you can launch apps/games from your main input without having to switch inputs. That is what will be useful. I could occasionally find it useful to bring up the guide and change channels with the voice control I suppose.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Grakthis

Quote:
So, I've been debating this same topic for a while now.

I think IN GENERAL, you are correct. the Xbox One will not replace your TiVo remote. However, will the Xbox One be USABLE to control the TiVo sometimes? I think it will.

The mute and volume functions are non-starters, cause the TiVo doesn't do those and I don't see any good way to transmit those commands to my TV through an IR blaster. But the channel changing could easily be relevant sometimes if I already have the Xbox One awake. And the 2nd screen app for the Xbox could easily (since the TiVo app mostly sucks) be better than the TiVo app, and I could find myself changing channels with it. I don't see myself changing channels with voice control much, cause the remote is just simpler, but if I couldn't find the remote for example, it might happen.

So, I guess what I am saying is, in general, I agree... but it's worth setting up the IR blasters just to see if it ever plays out as being useful.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
So, I guess what I am saying is, in general, I agree... but it's worth setting up the IR blasters just to see if it ever plays out as being useful.
You shouldn't need to install ir blasters unless you have it in a enclosed cabinet. It is like the newer Slingboxes in that they blast the signal in several directions so the ir blaster cable isn't usually needed.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
You shouldn't need to install ir blasters unless you have it in a enclosed cabinet. It is like the newer Slingboxes in that they blast the signal in several directions so the ir blaster cable isn't usually needed.
Yes. Anything in the room will receive the IR signal. At least this is the way it works with my Slingbox 350.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

I wonder if it'll support all 10 TiVo remote codes or only 0? If it only supports 0 then it'll be completely useless to anyone with multiple TiVos in the same room.

Personally I never watch live TV, so having it change channels for me is useless. Also I'm terrible at multi-tasking so trying to watch TV while simultaneously playing a game is never going to work for me.

I think the pass through port on my XB1 is going to remain unused.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
rainwater

Quote:

I think the pass through port on my XB1 is going to remain unused.
Why would you not use the pass-thru? With pass-thru you can launch games and Xbox apps without switching inputs. You don't have to set up the Xbox One to control the TiVo for it to be useful.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Why would you not use the pass-thru? With pass-thru you can launch games and Xbox apps without switching inputs. You don't have to set up the Xbox One to control the TiVo for it to be useful.
For me I would need to constantly switch game mode on and off on my DVDO DUO. Since when playing a game you want game mode on to reduce the possibility of lag. And then when watching other content you want to turn game mode off so the normal processing can be done. As long as the XBOne doesn't use remote code 0, I will try it out with my Roamio Basic which is a secondary TiVo. But I don't initially plan on using it with my Roamio Pro which is my main TiVo.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
The XBox would always need to be on for me to watch TV, I don't want that. I don't play games enough. I already have an A/V receiver to do switching, plus a smart TV with all the apps I need. The XB1 is going to be for games and the occasional BD for me.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #15
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
The XBox would always need to be on for me to watch TV, I don't want that. I don't play games enough. I already have an A/V receiver to do switching, plus a smart TV with all the apps I need. The XB1 is going to be for games and the occasional BD for me.
Do we know that yet? HDMI on stand-by has become very standard in the receiver world, it wouldn't be a stretch that the XB1 does the same.
For me I have 2 Tivo's and swap a lot, the XB1 doesn't help me at all, especially since it's not a full DVR support unit that we can tell.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

SInce the XBOne uses 19 watts in standby, it better pass through the HDMI signals.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
en sabur nur

Quote:
But that is pretty much all Xbox has advertised the tv integration will do. The main benefit of hooking up your TiVo to the Xbox One is so you can launch apps/games from your main input without having to switch inputs. That is what will be useful. I could occasionally find it useful to bring up the guide and change channels with the voice control I suppose.
That's what I plan to do with it. I don't care so much about changing channels with my voice. I may use it on occasion because I recently switched from Xfinity to Fios and I haven't learned their channel numbers yet, but with the Roamios, it's not neccessary. I pre-ordered a XBox One for:
1.Skype
2.Blu Ray
3.SkyDrive
4.HDMI Passthrough
5.The ability to keep track of tv shows and movies I want to watch (they mentioned this during the "Reveal" earlier this year, but I haven't heard anymore about it since then.
en sabur nur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #18
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by en sabur nur View Post
That's what I plan to do with it. I don't care so much about changing channels with my voice. I may use it on occasion because I recently switched from Xfinity to Fios and I haven't learned their channel numbers yet, but with the Roamios, it's not neccessary. I pre-ordered a XBox One for:
1.Skype
2.Blu Ray
3.SkyDrive
4.HDMI Passthrough
5.The ability to keep track of tv shows and movies I want to watch (they mentioned this during the "Reveal" earlier this year, but I haven't heard anymore about it since then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
SInce the XBOne uses 19 watts in standby, it better pass through the HDMI signals.
Just saw this review. You need to have the xbox on to see anything on your TV.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/12...box-one-review

Connect the cables via HDMI, as we described above, and what you feed into the Xbox One comes out again as "TV". You have to have the Xbox One turned on, however, as there's no passive HDMI pass-through: if your Xbox is in standby, you can't watch TV.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

Anandtech did an informative reviewof the XBOne. they sate that is uses 15.3 watts in standby.

http://anandtech.com/show/7528/the-x...are-analysis/5
Old 11-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #20
rhettf
R3T1CAL

This was mentioned in the other Xbox One/TiVo thread but I thought I would share it here to incase you were wondering:

If you have a 5.1 setup the xbox will downmix your audio to stereo. There is a surround sound option BUT its currently in beta since it can/will (passed on a reviewer with a TiVo - which model was not mentioned so a Roamio might be okay) lower the picture quality when turned on.

When the option is turned on the Xbox will output uncompressed 5.1 audio (PCM), Dolby Digital is not supported at launch. Which also means all game audio will be bitstream DTS or PCM 5.1/7.1

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/21/51...dio-in-in-beta

Personally I don't want to risk lowering of my picture quality and messing with my 5.1

So this will be my solution: I'll keep my TiVo Roamio setup the same, aka keep it on its own HDMI input. I have a TiVo mini as well and it already lives in the same room as my Roamio because I keep all my AV equipment in a closet, I'll be hooking the mini to my Xbox One.

I'll test the surround sound and see how the picture quality looks. This why I can watch TV/Snap TV on the xbox while gaming. Even if the quality loss in marginal I'll keep the mini plugged in until the feature is out of beta or has support to control the DVR functions of my TiVo, since I usually only watch recorded content many of the xbox one features will be lost of me. The mini will just sit in live TV so I can say Xbox Watch HBO or Food Network when waiting for games to install
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

The feature works perfectly fine with my Roamio Basic. The XBOne decodes the DD multi-channel audio and outputs it in multi-channel PCM. What MS need to fix is the output. Right now the output is fixed, not dynamic like it should be. So if you have the XBOne set for 7.1 output, and 5.1 content from an app or from the HDMI in is output in a 7.1 wrapper with two channels dead. So no post processing can be applied. With stereo content it's even worse since all channels are dead except for the FL and FR channels. Without manually changing the output channels to match the input channels, it's like watching TV was decades ago. When you only had stereo like in the 80's or a 5.1 system like in the 90's.

To have the proper output, the XBOne needs to dynamically change the number of output channels to match the number of input channels. But even the PS3 and 360 never got this right all the time. They still had issues with some apps doing the same thing, while other apps dynamically changed the output like it's supposed to be.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #22
xbr23

no matter what audio output i have tried, all i have is L/R stereo. No center, sub or rear speakers.

the XB defaulted to 7.1 during setup. during setup, it went through all my channels correctly.

my setup, Roamio Pro, HDMI to XB, HDMI to Receiver (Pioneer Elite SC-07), HDMI to TV.

Receiver was working fine with just the Roamio. i have played with all the audio options on the XB but no matter what, all i have is L/R stereo....
xbr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:43 AM   #23
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbr23 View Post
no matter what audio output i have tried, all i have is L/R stereo. No center, sub or rear speakers.

the XB defaulted to 7.1 during setup. during setup, it went through all my channels correctly.

my setup, Roamio Pro, HDMI to XB, HDMI to Receiver (Pioneer Elite SC-07), HDMI to TV.

Receiver was working fine with just the Roamio. i have played with all the audio options on the XB but no matter what, all i have is L/R stereo....
I had the same issue. During setup I had selected the beta surround option but I was only getting stereo pcm from my TiVo. I could always hear the TiVo sounds which would not be the case if it was sending Dolby Digital. So when I checked the settings again the other day I saw where the beta surround option was unchecked. Even though I specifically checked it during setup. So once I checked it again I started getting the 2.0 and .5.1 DD that is normal from all the FiOs channels. The XBOne decodes the DD and sends it out as pcm and I don't hear any TiVo sounds while it is playing content. Which is how it is supposed to be when the TiVo sends DD.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #24
xbr23

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I had the same issue. During setup I had selected the beta surround option but I was only getting stereo pcm from my TiVo. I could always hear the TiVo sounds which would not be the case if it was sending Dolby Digital. So when I checked the settings again the other day I saw where the beta surround option was unchecked. Even though I specifically checked it during setup. So once I checked it again I started getting the 2.0 and .5.1 DD that is normal from all the FiOs channels. The XBOne decodes the DD and sends it out as pcm and I don't hear any TiVo sounds while it is playing content. Which is how it is supposed to be when the TiVo sends DD.
got it. turned on the Beta sound and got my speakers back. your answer also answered the question as to why i was hearing the tivo sounds while watching TV.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #25
barrett14

Right now I have all of my devices going into my receiver, and then one HDMI cable going from my receiver to my TV. How will I integrate the XBO into this? If I exported the TV signal from the receiver, into the XBO, and then into the TV... that would mean that my PS3 would also go through the XBO? That doesn't make sense?
barrett14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #26
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbr23 View Post

Set it to 5.1 PCM on the X1
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #27
xbr23

lost my HDMI connection to the Tivo via Xbone. Xbone has been working fine but last night when i declared "Xbox On" the TV feed was timing out. Xbone was not seeing the TV channels. Black screen only. tried unplugging HDMI's and replugging. tried reboot's, finally gave up and took the Xbone out of the HDMI equation.

there was already a handshake issue, when Xbone would start up, the video feed would flicker for a second, then go to black, wait, wait, wait, bam! TV video feed would start working.

anybody else having HDMI issues with Xbone?? i have searched on the xbox forums and no one has commented.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #28
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett14 View Post
Right now I have all of my devices going into my receiver, and then one HDMI cable going from my receiver to my TV. How will I integrate the XBO into this? If I exported the TV signal from the receiver, into the XBO, and then into the TV... that would mean that my PS3 would also go through the XBO? That doesn't make sense?
I think Microsoft's idea is that the Xbox One would sit between your cable box and the receiver. So the PS3 would still be PS3->Receiver->TV, but the cable (or sat) would be cable box->Xbox One->Receiver->TV.

But at this point, I'm seriously considering not using the Xbox One's HDMI passthrough when I get one. Just have it on it's one seperate receiver input (like the 360 was) and ignore the potential TV integration. <shrug>
Old 12-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #29
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
I think Microsoft's idea is that the Xbox One would sit between your cable box and the receiver. So the PS3 would still be PS3->Receiver->TV, but the cable (or sat) would be cable box->Xbox One->Receiver->TV.

But at this point, I'm seriously considering not using the Xbox One's HDMI passthrough when I get one. Just have it on it's one seperate receiver input (like the 360 was) and ignore the potential TV integration. <shrug>
yes, that's how it works. It works very well for live tv - but for any other functions other than ffwd/rwd/stop/play/etc for a recording that's already playing, you need the remote.

the large benefit is the fast switching to games or other apps, and back to TV. Or snapping TV in the window next to your game so you can say listen to your daily talk show while playing. Or you can watch TV but still get notifications that your friend wants you to play a game, on your screen.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #30
xbr23

Xbox update resolved my issues. fyi.