TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
mykee50

Xfinity/HBO OD??

Hello, I just got my Roamio Pro Friday. Everything is going great. Got all of my season passes and recordings transferred from my other TiVo's. All is good...

Now I'm trying to figure out how to use Xfinity and HBO OD. I go to Xfinity, pick a program to watch, go to watch now, and it starts but then freezes at the opening screen. I hear about 2 seconds of audio then nothing. Pausing and FF does nothing. The same happens when I try HBO OD. It just stops at the HBO OD screen. It says that I have it rented for 24 hours etc.

Is this a streaming issue? I have a download of about 7mbps, .75mbps upload, 26 ping on CenturyLink. I pay for 12mbps. I'm not at all sure of what I need for streaming video.

Thanks, Mike, Issaquah WA
mykee50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Coffee

If you're wondering about your network throughput, check to see if your other streaming items are working (Netflix/Hulu/Youtube/etc.)

What you bought from your ISP doesn't mean anything if you use wireless. Wireless is always a terrible solution for everything that can use a wired connection (in my opinion). If you use wireless, see if going directly-wired resolves the issue.

If you're directly-wired, there may be an odd router issue. Try connecting it straight to the modem to test it, or try using a different router.

Oddball network issues are common. I actually had an issue one time where my PC got a terrible ping to anything until I added a second router (had a spare) to the setup. After that, it worked great. That makes no sense at all (unless my PC had a virus that was blasting info across the subnet or something), but it shows that networks can do silly things at times.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
mykee50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
If you're wondering about your network throughput, check to see if your other streaming items are working (Netflix/Hulu/Youtube/etc.)

What you bought from your ISP doesn't mean anything if you use wireless. Wireless is always a terrible solution for everything that can use a wired connection (in my opinion). If you use wireless, see if going directly-wired resolves the issue.

If you're directly-wired, there may be an odd router issue. Try connecting it straight to the modem to test it, or try using a different router.

Oddball network issues are common. I actually had an issue one time where my PC got a terrible ping to anything until I added a second router (had a spare) to the setup. After that, it worked great. That makes no sense at all (unless my PC had a virus that was blasting info across the subnet or something), but it shows that networks can do silly things at times.
Netflix works fine. I'm direct wired from the tivo to modem/router. M-card is 2008 (2.65) I just thought that I was doing something wrong. I was checking the speed at my wireless laptop. I'll keep goofing around with it.

Thanks, Mike
mykee50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
lickwid

Mine works fine. You should call Xfinity/Comcast and make sure they've full enabled the OD app. There's something they need to switch on on their end. That internet speed should be sufficient.
lickwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
garryj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykee50 View Post
Hello, I just got my Roamio Pro Friday. Everything is going great. Got all of my season passes and recordings transferred from my other TiVo's. All is good...

Now I'm trying to figure out how to use Xfinity and HBO OD. I go to Xfinity, pick a program to watch, go to watch now, and it starts but then freezes at the opening screen. I hear about 2 seconds of audio then nothing. Pausing and FF does nothing. The same happens when I try HBO OD. It just stops at the HBO OD screen. It says that I have it rented for 24 hours etc.

Is this a streaming issue? I have a download of about 7mbps, .75mbps upload, 26 ping on CenturyLink. I pay for 12mbps. I'm not at all sure of what I need for streaming video.

Thanks, Mike, Issaquah WA
The Xfinity VOD freeze-on-start problem is likely due to the "TiVo Premier" service option not being applied to your account. See this thread for more info:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=508928

I'm on Comcast/Bellevue, and if I log in to my Comcast account via the web and select the "My Services" page, there's an "Equipment" list on the right. If I click the "View More" button at the bottom, it shows my TiVo cablecard parings. My TiVo HD shows "MOTOROLA MOTOHOST" for the cablecard serial number(s) and "MOTOROLA TIVOHOST" for the cablecard serial number in the Roamio. If you don't see the "TIVOHOST" moniker, it may be because the "TiVo Premier" account option has not been applied to your account.

I have no idea whether or not Comcast customers in other service areas would see the same kind of info, though...
Old 11-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryj View Post
I have no idea whether or not Comcast customers in other service areas would see the same kind of info, though...
I don't, here in Maryland. "View More" shows entries for two cable boxes, but each says "No Make No Model," the serial number line is blank and it ends with "MAC Address Not Available."
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
I don't, here in Maryland. "View More" shows entries for two cable boxes, but each says "No Make No Model," the serial number line is blank and it ends with "MAC Address Not Available."
that's what i have with comcast in al.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
garryj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
Mine shows both serial number and MAC address values. I didn't notice the "TIVOHOST" cablecard "Make & Model" description on my account until after my VOD was working, so I have no way of confirming that this is of any trouble-shooting value, but it would sure be nice to have a way to check TiVo VOD service from the customer side.

If mikee50 still has the VOD startup freeze issue and his TiVo's cablecard "Make & Model" description already reads "TIVOHOST", then we're still in the dark in our service area too .
Old 11-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

FYI Xfinity does NOT stream over the internet. It communicates with the VOD server over the internet, but once the stream starts you're passed off to a regular VOD channel which is tuned via the tuner. So bandwidth has no bearing on this.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
FYI Xfinity does NOT stream over the internet. It communicates with the VOD server over the internet, but once the stream starts you're passed off to a regular VOD channel which is tuned via the tuner. So bandwidth has no bearing on this.
To translate it a little bit: VOD is "a regular TV channel".
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote