TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
cannonz

I know there is an install thread, I can't find it. Is it as simple as copy image off current drive create partition on new put image on it?
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
I know there is an install thread, I can't find it. Is it as simple as copy image off current drive create partition on new put image on it?
There's a thread, in the TiVo Upgrade Center forum, called something like "Need an image, don't PM me", which was the successor to the now long archived "Need an image, PM me" thread, and we may wind up directing you to go there.

What model TiVo do you have?

If there's a number on the sticker on the back that starts with TCD, that's the model number.

If it's a non-TiVo brand TiVo, the model number may not start with TCD.

What, if anything, is wrong with the hard drive currently in it?

Partitions on a TiVo drive (or a drive that's going to be put in a TiVo) are created when you restore an image to it, regardless of what partitioning and software were on there before you started.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Coffee

I found a lot of information on the process on Youtube.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
There's a thread, in the TiVo Upgrade Center forum, called something like "Need an image, don't PM me", which was the successor to the now long archived "Need an image, PM me" thread, and we may wind up directing you to go there.

What model TiVo do you have?

If there's a number on the sticker on the back that starts with TCD, that's the model number.

If it's a non-TiVo brand TiVo, the model number may not start with TCD.

What, if anything, is wrong with the hard drive currently in it?

Partitions on a TiVo drive (or a drive that's going to be put in a TiVo) are created when you restore an image to it, regardless of what partitioning and software were on there before you started.
It's a 652 the drive is fine just want larger. I thought was in that thread has tons of pages looked at first few pages gave up, instructions should have kept floating to top so can be found. Any idea what page the 652 is on?
Old 11-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
I found a lot of information on the process on Youtube.
Will look into that, I did do quick google looked at a few links (weren't youtube) were all just how to physically replace drive (pre imaged).
Old 11-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
... Any idea what page the 652 is on?
No, I keep forgetting, but when I created my free DropBox account it set up a DropBox folder on my PC, inside of which is a Public folder that the DropBox program keeps sync'ed with their servers, so I can right click and get the link to where the file is on their site.

This is for use with the MFS Live cd v1.4:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/652_gset.bak

and this is for use with the WinMFS program:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/652_gset.tbk

If you let me submit your email address to DropBox so they can send you an invitation to open a free account, we both get extra free space.

If you sign up bypassing me, neither of us gets the extra free space.

However, if there's no problem with the drive currently in your 652, better to copy it to a new drive (after running the manufacturer's diagnostic long test on the new one before putting it into service just in case anything happened to it during shipping), which will preserve all of your recordings and settings and save you having to go through Guided Setup again.

If you're running Windows XP SP3 or later on a PC, probably better, or at least easier, to use WinMFS to do the job.

After the copying is done, it'll say you've got extra space on the new drive, do you want to expand. Tell it no.

Then expand by selecting that drive and clicking on mfsadd.

I recommend checking Amazon or newegg for an under $100 deal on a 2TB WD20EURS (which is as big as you can use in a 652), just be sure you're buying it directly from them and not one of those "associates".

And before copying the drive to the new drive, use WinMFS (or the Live cd if you prefer that) to make a truncated backup file of the current drive.

Just remember you can only restore it with the program that made it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote