TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
LoST57

Tivo premiere not working w/ cable card all of a sudden

So here is my problem. Knocked the power cable out from my Tivo premiere, plugged it back in then later turned tv on and all channels said "Searching for a signal on this channel (V52)". I rebooted it and same thing, I contacted Verizon Fios and they say exchange cable card, so I get a new one and install it and activate it. Same searching for signal on all channels, call them again thinking it is not activated correctly, they send "hits" to it and check and say its activated. Then they had me take the new card and put it in my other Tivo, so I did. It worked perfectly. So they say card is fine and something wrong with Tivo.

Any suggestions on things to try before I contact Tivo?
LoST57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoST57 View Post
So here is my problem. Knocked the power cable out from my Tivo premiere, plugged it back in then later turned tv on and all channels said "Searching for a signal on this channel (V52)". I rebooted it and same thing, I contacted Verizon Fios and they say exchange cable card, so I get a new one and install it and activate it. Same searching for signal on all channels, call them again thinking it is not activated correctly, they send "hits" to it and check and say its activated. Then they had me take the new card and put it in my other Tivo, so I did. It worked perfectly. So they say card is fine and something wrong with Tivo.

Any suggestions on things to try before I contact Tivo?
Make sure the cable is secure and that you didn't knock it loose when messing with the power. Then try a channel scan with the card removed to see if it finds anything. If it doesn't and you have a digital TV at that location, connect the cable directly to the TV and try a scan on the TV.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
LoST57

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Make sure the cable is secure and that you didn't knock it loose when messing with the power. Then try a channel scan with the card removed to see if it finds anything. If it doesn't and you have a digital TV at that location, connect the cable directly to the TV and try a scan on the TV.
Thanks, I have not tried a channel scan with card removed, but coax directly to TV I do get digital channels. So cable is working. All cables are connected securely.

Update: talked to Tivo and they said card was not paired, then talked to verizon paired correctly, still did not work. sending a new cable card. Called Tivo and went over settings and they too said to get a new card.

Last edited by LoST57 : 11-14-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
ajwees41

Quote:
Thanks, I have not tried a channel scan with card removed, but coax directly to TV I do get digital channels. So cable is working. All cables are connected securely.

Update: talked to Tivo and they said card was not paired, then talked to verizon paired correctly, still did not work. sending a new cable card. Called Tivo and went over settings and they too said to get a new card.
how old is the Tivo? what good we a new cable card do? Sounds like the Tivo got hit with a surge. Did you try all tivo outputs and tv in puts?
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
lpwcomp

Quote:

You really should do a channel scan. If the TiVo can't the channels that the TV can, then it is not a CableCARD problem.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
LoST57

Quote:
You really should do a channel scan. If the TiVo can't the channels that the TV can, then it is not a CableCARD problem.
I did a channel scan with Tivo and nothing, TV scan finds a bunch of channels.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
I did a channel scan with Tivo and nothing, TV scan finds a bunch of channels.
and this is with the TV using the exact same coax connection, i.e. you swapped it from the TV back to the TiVo?

Old 11-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
LoST57

Quote:
and this is with the TV the exact same coax connection, i.e. you swapped it from the TV back to the TiVo?
Yes. I have gone back and forth with TiVo and verizon all night. TiVo wants me to move the unit to a location where my other tivo is and use that coax and see if signal works there. i guess i will try later tonight. I am thinking more and more that something is wrong with the tivo tuners. Everyrhing works except live tv.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
lpwcomp

Since the scan didn't find anything, definitely sounds like a TiVo tunerproblem to me also.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
When we got the new Series 2 - Comcast has showed up that day to install the cards. I kind of timed it a little rough. My appointment was at 3:00pm... The TiVo arrived at 2:30 and I had not even unpacked it. After telling them I just received it, they told me they do not usually hook the TiVo up.

I asked them to leave me the cards but they said they need to install them, activate, test them but they do not do TiVo installs.

I repeated several times about just receiving it and then finally said, "It is 3:05pm. This TiVo came at 2:30pm" You could see the light bulb above their heads.

So they got everything working. From your post, it sounds like you might have just picked up another at the store. If so, ask them to come out.

Comcast had to do the same with the cable card that we installed in the TV.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
LoST57

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreybryant View Post
When we got the new Series 2 - Comcast has showed up that day to install the cards. I kind of timed it a little rough. My appointment was at 3:00pm... The TiVo arrived at 2:30 and I had not even unpacked it. After telling them I just received it, they told me they do not usually hook the TiVo up.

I asked them to leave me the cards but they said they need to install them, activate, test them but they do not do TiVo installs.

I repeated several times about just receiving it and then finally said, "It is 3:05pm. This TiVo came at 2:30pm" You could see the light bulb above their heads.

So they got everything working. From your post, it sounds like you might have just picked up another at the store. If so, ask them to come out.

Comcast had to do the same with the cable card that we installed in the TV.
I am pretty sure something is wrong with Tivo, as it was working for 35 months prior. Signal from coax is plenty strong. When i moved it to another room where my working tivo is (last thing Tivo Support asked me to try) it still did not work. Cable card functions in my other Tivo fine, so cable card not the problem.

Excuse to get a Roamio Plus I guess :/
Old 11-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
lessd

Quote:
When we got the new Series 2 - Comcast has showed up that day to install the cards.
What cards are for a Series 2 TiVo ??

Old 11-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
LoST57

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated. I went and ordered a Roamio since nothing seemed to fix this premiere.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
Coffee

"Searching for Signal" is not generally relevant to a CableCARD issue. That error message would occur if the coaxial cable was removed (obviously not in this case, but basically that the DVR can't see signals coming down the line). A CableCARD message would be something like "Channel not authorized. Contact your cable provider for more information."

It is possible that the device had become damaged, but I would try to move it over to the location of your working DVR and try to (temporarily) set it up there to see if there is any change. That would forego any possibility that it's caused by a wiring problem.

Since you've replaced the device anyways, I assume that the issue has been resolved and discovered that your new DVR is working fine. If that is the case, it was definitely a broken TiVo unit.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #15
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
What cards are for a Series 2 TiVo ??
Unfortunately I am not sure. When I called them, I told them I was having a TiVo Series 3 delivered and needed two cards.

Apparently though the Series 2 will only work with one cable box from them. (So if you have a Series 2 and the Xfinity /Comcast box goes out, make sure the rep understands - or better yet not, and get a $50.00 credit on your bill )
Old 11-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Unfortunately I am not sure. When I called them, I told them I was having a TiVo Series 3 delivered and needed two cards.

Apparently though the Series 2 will only work with one cable box from them. (So if you have a Series 2 and the Xfinity /Comcast box goes out, make sure the rep understands - or better yet not, and get a $50.00 credit on your bill )
Do you mean only one cable box at a time, or only one model of cable box?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote