TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
richg99

Remote no longer can change volume from one angle?

We use two remotes ..one where my wife sits and the other where I sit, about 6 feet apart. For years, both worked perfectly.

I recently replaced my premiere 2 with a premier 4 . For a month, both remotes continued to work as they have for years. We have not changed the furniture layout at all.

Suddenly, the remote on the right side won't change volume..but will change channels. We swapped remotes..same issue..the right side remote (either remote) will change channels but not control the sound.

The left side remote continues to work perfectly fine.

New batteries did not help. Since we have been "shooting through the door" with an add on device..I disabled that. I opened the cabinet door..no effect at all.

Any help appreciated.

It is an ...angle...issue, it seems. Any ideas? Thx rich
Old 11-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

TV volume works through the TV, not the tivo. Is something blocking it that has been placed in the room, like a candle?
Old 11-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

I wonder if the angles of things changed like 1 degree when someone was cleaning or whatnot? can you "walk in" from that side and see where the tv starts to pick up the signal? it might be a matter of like 2 degrees difference in the angle the tv is at relative to that seating position.

Also, was anything else re-arranged in the room? Some other surface that we either reflective or absorbative of IR may have changed the dynamics of the situation.

Did you change any lamp positions or light bulbs? You could have a CFL bulb that's putting out enough IR light that that is interfering with the remote signal getting through.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
richg99

You guys/gals are SO helpful.

Of course I should have remembered that the volume is not controlled by the Tivo.

I have a sound bar in front of the TV. It had been pushed over slightly, just enough to block the volume receptor. Moved sound bar back...problem solved. Thanks, rich
Old 11-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
richg99

Oh, and just clarify..it was the TV sound and the Tivo remote....(which we use most of the time) and not the sound bar control.... that was causing the problem. Thanks again. Rich

Last edited by richg99 : 11-18-2013 at 07:31 PM.
richg99 is offline   Reply With Quote