TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
everyday09

Arrow Pioneer DVR810-H Stopped Connecting

I have a Pioneer DVR810-H TiVo that I got off eBay several years ago and it's worked great since I got it. That is, up until yesterday when it just stopped connecting to the TiVo service. The unit has a basic lifetime service and an upgraded hard drive (the previous owner did all of the upgrading.) I'm relatively knowledgable on electronics, so my first conclusions are that either the hard drive is going bad or that the wireless adapter I have has stopped working. The adapter is a Belkin F5D6050 that the previous owner sold me along with the unit. I've got the device connected to an old Airport Extreme (which is definitely not the problem, as I've tested connecting my iMac and Macbook to it.) I have no problem taking the thing apart and swapping out a drive, but I need to get a copy of the TiVo software to flash a new drive with and also insure that it's not going to remove the basic lifetime service from the unit. Help!
everyday09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
everyday09

Another thing, I tried to use the DVD drive and it froze on the "please wait" screen and then rebooted. I then reset the unit and now I cannot get past the setup screen because it's not connecting to the TiVo service.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
replaytv
unRegistered User

Have you tried direct connecting it to the router with Ethernet cable using a adapter?
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:11 AM   #4
unitron

TiVo's servers were down for everybody Thursday, Nov. 14, 2013.

And this time of year they're famous for being difficult to connect with.

Sometimes you just have to keep trying.

Never go into Guided Setup if it's not absolutely necessary, because once in, the only way out is through.

No backsies.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
everyday09

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
Have you tried direct connecting it to the router with Ethernet cable using a adapter?
My router is in a completely different room, so this is not possible. Also, the connection error it's giving me in the setup is "Service not found."
Old 11-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

I'll try to answer some of your questions. I have several of the Pioneer Tivos and I am a big fan of them. They are the best of the DVD writer TiVos, IMHO.

I've had some trouble connecting in the past with my Pioneers. It usually manifests itself as an S03 error when trying to connect. This means that it completed the connection, but couldn't completely process the data it downloaded. I've found that if I do the Clear to do list (NOT Clear and Delete Everything!!), it clears out whatever was blocking a successful connection to the servers. This might delete some season passes, so you should save them to the TiVo servers first, or write them down. But, it's too late for your now, as you are stuck in guided setup.

Regarding playing DVD and then the TiVo rebooting. There are some DVDs out there, usually from Sony Studios, that will lock up the TiVo. There is something on the disc that the TiVo is trying to run and it confuses the TiVo, so it reboots to protect itself. This is a known "bug" for the DVD TiVos. Also, if you get stuck like this, you have to remember to remove the DVD before the TiVo tries to reboot, because it will try to boot from the disc in the DVD drive before it tries to boot from the hard drive. Yet another "bug" for the DVD Tivos. I've bought several DVD TiVos from ebay that were "not working" because a DVD was stuck in the DVD drive. Remove the disc and the TiVo will boot, no problem.

Regarding the stuck in Guided Setup. Like unitron said, no backsies, you have to go thru Guided Setup to get out of it. I would suggest a direct connection to the router with a wired ethernet adapter. You could move the TiVo temporarily to get past the guided setup, then move it back to it's original position for more troubleshooting.

Sometimes, the software on the TiVo gets corrupted for some reason (usually do to the age of the hard drive) and the only way to get past guided setup is to re-image your hard drive, or image a new hard drive and start from scratch. It it comes to that, I can provide you with a working image for the Pioneer TiVo (I have images for both the 810 and 57). Let me know.

Good luck.
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
everyday09

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomeister View Post
I'll try to answer some of your questions. I have several of the Pioneer Tivos and I am a big fan of them. They are the best of the DVD writer TiVos, IMHO.

I've had some trouble connecting in the past with my Pioneers. It usually manifests itself as an S03 error when trying to connect. This means that it completed the connection, but couldn't completely process the data it downloaded. I've found that if I do the Clear to do list (NOT Clear and Delete Everything!!), it clears out whatever was blocking a successful connection to the servers. This might delete some season passes, so you should save them to the TiVo servers first, or write them down. But, it's too late for your now, as you are stuck in guided setup.

Regarding playing DVD and then the TiVo rebooting. There are some DVDs out there, usually from Sony Studios, that will lock up the TiVo. There is something on the disc that the TiVo is trying to run and it confuses the TiVo, so it reboots to protect itself. This is a known "bug" for the DVD TiVos. Also, if you get stuck like this, you have to remember to remove the DVD before the TiVo tries to reboot, because it will try to boot from the disc in the DVD drive before it tries to boot from the hard drive. Yet another "bug" for the DVD Tivos. I've bought several DVD TiVos from ebay that were "not working" because a DVD was stuck in the DVD drive. Remove the disc and the TiVo will boot, no problem.

Regarding the stuck in Guided Setup. Like unitron said, no backsies, you have to go thru Guided Setup to get out of it. I would suggest a direct connection to the router with a wired ethernet adapter. You could move the TiVo temporarily to get past the guided setup, then move it back to it's original position for more troubleshooting.

Sometimes, the software on the TiVo gets corrupted for some reason (usually do to the age of the hard drive) and the only way to get past guided setup is to re-image your hard drive, or image a new hard drive and start from scratch. It it comes to that, I can provide you with a working image for the Pioneer TiVo (I have images for both the 810 and 57). Let me know.

Good luck.
robomeister
Thanks so much for all of the insight! I'll try to get it hooked up to the router and I'll keep you posted on how it goes. If I do have to re-image the hard drive, how much of a pain is it? I assume I'd just enclose the HD and use Disk Utility (Mac) to select it and use the image to restore from?
Old 11-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyday09 View Post
Thanks so much for all of the insight! I'll try to get it hooked up to the router and I'll keep you posted on how it goes. If I do have to re-image the hard drive, how much of a pain is it? I assume I'd just enclose the HD and use Disk Utility (Mac) to select it and use the image to restore from?
You have to use either the MFS Live cd v1.4, or run WinMFS on Windows XP or newer to make and restore TiVo drive backups.

(And that's on the Series 3 and older--S4s are changed too much for either of those to work.)

Does that TiVo have a PATA/IDE drive, or a SATA with appropriate adapter?

Didn't Macs go straight from SCSI to SATA without ever doing PATA/IDE?

Old 11-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
everyday09

robomeister,
no luck with getting it to connect directly to my router. would you mind PMing me the HD image?
Old 11-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyday09 View Post
Start reading here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...33#post9879733

and you will learn how and from where to download the .iso image of the Ultimate Boot CD, on which are diagnostic programs from most all of the hard drive manufacturers.

You'll need to burn that image to cd-r "as an image" in order for it to be bootable, then you need to run the manufacturer's long test on the current drive to see if there's anything wrong with the drive itself (as opposed to there being something wrong with the TiVo software on the drive), and you need to run the long test on any new drives before putting them into service because bad things can happen to good drives during shipping.