TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
preilly44

MoCa killing Internet speed

Hello all,

I previously had two Premier XL4's running on a MoCa network (that one of the XL4's created) and it worked fine. I just upgraded to a Roamio Pro and Mini and every time I turn MoCa on (on the Pro) my internet connection speed goes from 55Mbps to .32Mbps (to the point where Tivo won't connect and web pages won't load on my laptop.

Here is the set up:

Coax goes in the house to a splitter, one cable goes to the Tivo and one goes to the cable modem (then to a wireless N router). The router then runs an Ethernet cable to the Tivo. The Mini upstairs is connected via coax. This is the exact same setup I had previously and it worked fine. I spoke to two techs at Tivo and neither could fix it. Anybody have any ideas to try before I determine it is a hardware failure (and have to copy all my shows to another pro again)?

I should add that I tested all the cables (coax and Ethernet) and they are all good.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick
preilly44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
ustavio

[quote=preilly44;9882986]Hello all,

Coax goes in the house to a splitter, one cable goes to the Tivo and one goes to the cable modem (then to a wireless N router). The router then runs an Ethernet cable to the Tivo. The Mini upstairs is connected via coax.

If the coax coming into the house is MoCA, I don't think you need to run an ethernet cable from the router to the to the Tivo. The Coax provides both just as it does to the upstairs Mini.

Try just the MoCA into your Tivo and not both it and the ethernet and see what happens.

BTW, many have noticed (myself included) a drop in MoCa speed after some of the recent updates.

Last edited by ustavio : 11-22-2013 at 01:52 AM.
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:51 AM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

Did the Tivo techs suggest changing the moca channel a few times, under the network/moca options?

ustavio, an ethernet cable is needed when the Tivo itself is used to create the moca network.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Did the Tivo techs suggest changing the moca channel a few times, under the network/moca options?

ustavio, an ethernet cable is needed when the Tivo itself is used to create the moca network.
Ah, then this is necessary for streaming between the Tivo and the Mini? My set up doesn't involve streaming (transferring, yes). One Tivo is straight MoCA and the other is Ethernet via MoCA adapter.

I'm assuming that one can only change the MoCA channel if one has set up a Tivo MoCA network?
Old 11-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustavio View Post
Ah, then this is necessary for streaming between the Tivo and the Mini? My set up doesn't involve streaming (transferring, yes). One Tivo is straight MoCA and the other is Ethernet via MoCA adapter.

I'm assuming that one can only change the MoCA channel if one has set up a Tivo MoCA network?
Well there are 2 ways to set up a moca network. Your way (where there is a router or adapter creating the moca network) or by using the Tivo itself if it can reach the router using ethernet. Either way works.

Most moca adapters, routers, and the Tivo can have the moca channels changed to different frequencies. If the OP's internet runs at a frequency close to the frequency of the moca network, that might be causing interference. Just a guess.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
preilly44

Thanks for all the responses. My router isn't creating the MoCa network, the Tivo is. I don't think my router has the ability to create a Moca network (but it might, I've just never tried).

I've tried a couple different channels on the Pro/Mini as well as auto with the same result.

Any other ideas?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
BigJimOutlaw

If you happen to have a MoCA filter handy, you might try placing it on the coax leg going to the cable modem. If not, they're about $8 on ebay.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 11-07-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by preilly44 View Post
Thanks for all the responses. My router isn't creating the MoCa network, the Tivo is. I don't think my router has the ability to create a Moca network (but it might, I've just never tried).

I've tried a couple different channels on the Pro/Mini as well as auto with the same result.

Any other ideas?
What internet provider do you have and what router are you using?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
ustavio

Quote:
If you happen to have a MoCA filter handy, you might try placing it on the coax leg going to the cable modem. If not, they're about $8 on ebay.
Although I guess it would depend on his Internet Provider and the Router he is using, would it make any sense for preilly 44 to try the other option and let the Router create the network?
Just a thought, could the fact that the Tivo Roamio is throwing off two separate IP/MAC addresses (for the Tivo and for the Stream) contribute? Could a Tivo/Stream MoCA network differ in some way from the two Tivo Premieres he was running? Just tossing darts.

Last edited by ustavio : 11-07-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustavio View Post
Although I guess it would depend on his Internet Provider and the Router he is using, would it make any sense for preilly 44 to try the other option and let the Router create the network?
There are rare few routers with built-in moca, so I'm not counting on it. There would be a coax connector on it, if the OP wants to check for one. But unless they have FiOS there's a 99% chance the answer is no.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
ustavio

Quote:
There are rare few routers with built-in moca, so I'm not counting on it. There would be a coax connector on it, if the OP wants to check for one. But unless they have FiOS there's a 99% chance the answer is no.
Sooooo glad I switched to Fios from TWC (so long tuning adapter).
Old 11-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
poppagene
User

Quote:

Any other ideas?
You might try putting a point of entry filter on the coax feeding tivo after the first splitter.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
shamilian

check the splitters used between the mini and the roamio.

if moca can't pass the signal above 1GHz it may use a lower frequency which may kill your internet service....

or your ISP may have selected a very high frequency for the internet service.

Do you know the frequency/channel used by the tivo ?
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #14
preilly44

Hello all,

Thank you for the ideas. I installed a point of entry filter on the coax last night and now when I turn on MocA it doesn't kill my Internet speed any more but I still can't connect to the mini to MoCA network. It gives me error C33...it says:

Network MoCA problem: There is a problem with your network settings. The DVR was unable to connect to connect to your MOCA network. (C33).

Then it tells you to check your cables, etc.

I have the channel set to auto on both the Mini and the Pro.

I'm confused because it worked perfectly before with the exact setup when I had the XL4's.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
BigJimOutlaw

Well I guess that's progress.

Try changing both to a specific moca channel, like 15? And then powercycle everything (including network).

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 11-09-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #16
preilly44

So I took everything apart again today and reconnected it exactly the same way with the same wires/hardware. MoCa is now working but it did drop my Internet from 56Mbps (before I started today) to 21Mbps...but at least I still have an Internet connection. The only thing I did differently is I chose channel 25 for MoCa on the Roamio and left the Mini on auto.

Has anybody else noticed a 35Mbps loss in Internet speeds with Moca?
Old 11-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #17
AdamNJ

Quote:
So I took everything apart again today and reconnected it exactly the same way with the same wires/hardware. MoCa is now working but it did drop my Internet from 56Mbps (before I started today) to 21Mbps...but at least I still have an Internet connection. The only thing I did differently is I chose channel 25 for MoCa on the Roamio and left the Mini on auto.

Has anybody else noticed a 35Mbps loss in Internet speeds with Moca?
So where exactly is your POE filter? On the entry point? or after the split to the cable modem?

I have mine after the split to the cable modem, so effectively the cable modem is outside of my moca network. If your modem is inside the moca network, then you may need to change the location of your POE filter (depends on your setup), or add another before your cable modem.

MOCA is supposed to work without affecting the cable modem, but I've read that other people had issues.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote