TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
thebfg

Wow, TiVo transferred my entire account to someone else

Sold a Lifetime TiVo HD back in October. Yesterday I wondered why I couldn't log into the TiVo iPad app using my e-mail. Today I discovered I couldn't log into tivo.com either. Had to use my TSN and MAK to reset my e-mail, then when I logged in, I discovered my contact into had been changed to the buyer. So, basically, instead of transferring the ONE TiVo I'd sold, TiVo decided to transfer my ENTIRE ACCOUNT to the buyer.

Now that I think about it, with this new reset procedure, once you've got a lifetime TiVo in your hands, you have access to the TSN and MAK, so maybe this was all automated on the web, instead of the buyer calling in to TiVo. Although, if that's the case, I would hope TiVo would send out an e-mail saying the e-mail address on the account has been changed. Because then you'd have a heads up that something might be going on.
thebfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
unitron

Did the buyer understand that a person's account at tivo.com is a separate entity from an individual TiVo DVR's account?

And that if they didn't already have an account with TiVo to which to transfer that TiVo, they needed to set one up?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:46 AM   #3
jcthorne

Interesting, I have sold several Tivos with lifetime over the years and all of them still appear on my account. Guess most buyers never bother to transfer as long as the device is working.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

There have been other posts on this forum saying even though a sold TiVo was transferred to a new owner, the sold TiVo still is also shown on the old account owner.

I have sold some lifetime TiVos that were on my account and now last time I called in they say I have no TiVos on my account, even though I still have some that I own. It really doesn't matter to me as I don't use the networking features, but it is a little troubling to hear about others having things happening.
replaytv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

I can still see every TiVo I've ever sold listed on my account. It even gets updated with whatever name the new owner gives it. But once it's transferred to a new account you can't do anything with it like schedule recordings or change any options.

Last edited by Dan203 : 11-13-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I can still see every TiVo I've ever sold listed on my account. It even gets updated with whatever name the new owner gives it. But once it's transferred to a new account you can do anything with it like schedule recordings or change any options.
Same for me

Old 11-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
There have been other posts on this forum saying even though a sold TiVo was transferred to a new owner, the sold TiVo still is also shown on the old account owner.
Because that's the way it has always been and it affects every account that has had a tivo removed from it.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
bananaman

I sold two Series 3 TiVo's at the same time, to two different people. One was removed from My Account, the other is still listed there. I always assumed the owner of the one still listed there just didn't call TiVo to get it moved.

Andrew
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
I sold two Series 3 TiVo's at the same time, to two different people. One was removed from My Account, the other is still listed there. I always assumed the owner of the one still listed there just didn't call TiVo to get it moved.

Andrew
Exactly the problem, what I do is have a dummy TiVo account that after 3 or 4 months I move any TiVos that I don't own into that account, keeps part of my TiVo account clean.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
gayab
Gayab

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebfg View Post
Sold a Lifetime TiVo HD back in October. Yesterday I wondered why I couldn't log into the TiVo iPad app using my e-mail. Today I discovered I couldn't log into tivo.com either. Had to use my TSN and MAK to reset my e-mail, then when I logged in, I discovered my contact into had been changed to the buyer. So, basically, instead of transferring the ONE TiVo I'd sold, TiVo decided to transfer my ENTIRE ACCOUNT to the buyer.

Now that I think about it, with this new reset procedure, once you've got a lifetime TiVo in your hands, you have access to the TSN and MAK, so maybe this was all automated on the web, instead of the buyer calling in to TiVo. Although, if that's the case, I would hope TiVo would send out an e-mail saying the e-mail address on the account has been changed. Because then you'd have a heads up that something might be going on.
I am having exactly the same issue. Tivo transferred my entire account (and all my devices) to the new owner of a TiVo HD I sold recently. Unfortunately now they cannot find my account at all. After spending more than hour with Tivo Support - they created a new one and transferred back my Tivo Premier & Stream, I am still nervous about privacy and security after the whole thing. Though Tivo assures me that there weren't and wouldn't be any privacy breaches and that my CC, Netflix, Amazon accounts are safe.
gayab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
Arcady
Stargate Fan

When I sell a lifetime unit and the new owner fails to transfer it to their account after six months, I start scheduling things to record on it that are the opposite of whatever season passes they have. Eventually they figure it out and move it to their own account.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
When I sell a lifetime unit and the new owner fails to transfer it to their account after six months, I start scheduling things to record on it that are the opposite of whatever season passes they have. Eventually they figure it out and move it to their own account.
I just use their E-Mail address (and address) and make up a TiVo account and than move the TiVo to that account.