TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
thebfg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 15
Wow, TiVo transferred my entire account to someone else

Sold a Lifetime TiVo HD back in October. Yesterday I wondered why I couldn't log into the TiVo iPad app using my e-mail. Today I discovered I couldn't log into tivo.com either. Had to use my TSN and MAK to reset my e-mail, then when I logged in, I discovered my contact into had been changed to the buyer. So, basically, instead of transferring the ONE TiVo I'd sold, TiVo decided to transfer my ENTIRE ACCOUNT to the buyer.

Now that I think about it, with this new reset procedure, once you've got a lifetime TiVo in your hands, you have access to the TSN and MAK, so maybe this was all automated on the web, instead of the buyer calling in to TiVo. Although, if that's the case, I would hope TiVo would send out an e-mail saying the e-mail address on the account has been changed. Because then you'd have a heads up that something might be going on.
thebfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,143
Did the buyer understand that a person's account at tivo.com is a separate entity from an individual TiVo DVR's account?

And that if they didn't already have an account with TiVo to which to transfer that TiVo, they needed to set one up?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:46 AM   #3
jcthorne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,883
Interesting, I have sold several Tivos with lifetime over the years and all of them still appear on my account. Guess most buyers never bother to transfer as long as the device is working.
__________________
Current : Roamio Base with 2TB drive and 2 Premieres and a mini. OTA. kmttg, pyTivo, running with a 78TB Synology 1511 NAS....serving up the world.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen
 
replaytv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver ish Colorado
Posts: 3,748
There have been other posts on this forum saying even though a sold TiVo was transferred to a new owner, the sold TiVo still is also shown on the old account owner.

I have sold some lifetime TiVos that were on my account and now last time I called in they say I have no TiVos on my account, even though I still have some that I own. It really doesn't matter to me as I don't use the networking features, but it is a little troubling to hear about others having things happening.
replaytv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,359
I can still see every TiVo I've ever sold listed on my account. It even gets updated with whatever name the new owner gives it. But once it's transferred to a new account you can't do anything with it like schedule recordings or change any options.
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo

Last edited by Dan203 : 11-13-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
lessd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 5,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I can still see every TiVo I've ever sold listed on my account. It even gets updated with whatever name the new owner gives it. But once it's transferred to a new account you can do anything with it like schedule recordings or change any options.
Same for me
__________________
Les Daniels

_____________________________________________
3 Roamio Plus upgraded to 2Tb & 3Tb, and 2 Minis, Also 1 not used Humax Series 2 with a DVD burner
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 8,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
There have been other posts on this forum saying even though a sold TiVo was transferred to a new owner, the sold TiVo still is also shown on the old account owner.
Because that's the way it has always been and it affects every account that has had a tivo removed from it.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
bananaman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 114
I sold two Series 3 TiVo's at the same time, to two different people. One was removed from My Account, the other is still listed there. I always assumed the owner of the one still listed there just didn't call TiVo to get it moved.

Andrew
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
lessd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 5,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
I sold two Series 3 TiVo's at the same time, to two different people. One was removed from My Account, the other is still listed there. I always assumed the owner of the one still listed there just didn't call TiVo to get it moved.

Andrew
Exactly the problem, what I do is have a dummy TiVo account that after 3 or 4 months I move any TiVos that I don't own into that account, keeps part of my TiVo account clean.
__________________
Les Daniels

_____________________________________________
3 Roamio Plus upgraded to 2Tb & 3Tb, and 2 Minis, Also 1 not used Humax Series 2 with a DVD burner
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
gayab
Gayab
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebfg View Post
Sold a Lifetime TiVo HD back in October. Yesterday I wondered why I couldn't log into the TiVo iPad app using my e-mail. Today I discovered I couldn't log into tivo.com either. Had to use my TSN and MAK to reset my e-mail, then when I logged in, I discovered my contact into had been changed to the buyer. So, basically, instead of transferring the ONE TiVo I'd sold, TiVo decided to transfer my ENTIRE ACCOUNT to the buyer.

Now that I think about it, with this new reset procedure, once you've got a lifetime TiVo in your hands, you have access to the TSN and MAK, so maybe this was all automated on the web, instead of the buyer calling in to TiVo. Although, if that's the case, I would hope TiVo would send out an e-mail saying the e-mail address on the account has been changed. Because then you'd have a heads up that something might be going on.
I am having exactly the same issue. Tivo transferred my entire account (and all my devices) to the new owner of a TiVo HD I sold recently. Unfortunately now they cannot find my account at all. After spending more than hour with Tivo Support - they created a new one and transferred back my Tivo Premier & Stream, I am still nervous about privacy and security after the whole thing. Though Tivo assures me that there weren't and wouldn't be any privacy breaches and that my CC, Netflix, Amazon accounts are safe.
gayab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
Arcady
Stargate Fan
 
Arcady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,888
When I sell a lifetime unit and the new owner fails to transfer it to their account after six months, I start scheduling things to record on it that are the opposite of whatever season passes they have. Eventually they figure it out and move it to their own account.
__________________
Roamio Pro (3TB)
Premiere Elite (2TB)
Premiere (320GB)
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
lessd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 5,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
When I sell a lifetime unit and the new owner fails to transfer it to their account after six months, I start scheduling things to record on it that are the opposite of whatever season passes they have. Eventually they figure it out and move it to their own account.
I just use their E-Mail address (and address) and make up a TiVo account and than move the TiVo to that account.
__________________
Les Daniels

_____________________________________________
3 Roamio Plus upgraded to 2Tb & 3Tb, and 2 Minis, Also 1 not used Humax Series 2 with a DVD burner
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |