TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
JoeTaxpayer

MoCa for Dummies - what do I need?

I have a TiVo Premiere XL4 & a TiVo Premiere. One will have access to ethernet, the other wont.

Do I need two MoCa adaptors or just one? Yes I looked at https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/moca and I'm not quite getting it.

My goal is for the non-wired TiVo to be able to stream in real time or better. Right now, they are in rooms with ethernet and the transfer speed is nearly 4X real time. When I go WiFi, the speed is .6-.7. For what it's worth. After the move, as I said, the room it's going to isn't wired.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Wireless is not recommended for streaming, only copy/transfers. MoCa is ethernet using Coax cable running from the cable source and networking uses that same cable. MoCa adapters are placed at the cable modem/router location and at each Tivo which does not have built-in MoCa.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
JoeTaxpayer

https://www.tivo.com/my-account/how-...etwork#option2

implies that my XL4 is all I need to create the network, then I assume it's just one adapter to get the plain premiere on the MoCa network. Nothing in this setup says I need to put an adapter at the router. Am I understanding that article correctly?
Old 10-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
fyodor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post

implies that my XL4 is all I need to create the network, then I assume it's just one adapter to get the plain premiere on the MoCa network. Nothing in this setup says I need to put an adapter at the router. Am I understanding that article correctly?
I think that if you the Tivos to have Internet access you need one at the router. You may be able to use a wireless bridge at one of them to provide internet to the other, but I'm not familiar with how to do so.
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
tatergator1

Quote:

This is correct. Provide Ethernet to the XL4, and then setup the XL4 to create the MoCA network via the Networking menus on that Tivo. You'll then need 1 MoCA adapter at the Premiere. You'll run Coax from the wall to the MoCA adapter, and then use the "Out" port on the MoCA adapter to connect to the Premiere. Some might suggest using a two-way coax splitter and running one line to the MoCA adapter and the other to the Premiere, thereby avoiding use of the pass-through on the MoCA adapter; but that's unnecessary based on my experience. Connect Ethernet from the MoCA adapter to the Premiere and you should be good to go.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
This is correct. Provide Ethernet to the XL4, and then setup the XL4 to create the MoCA network via the Networking menus on that Tivo. You'll then need 1 MoCA adapter at the Premiere. You'll run Coax from the wall to the MoCA adapter, and then use the "Out" port on the MoCA adapter to connect to the Premiere. Some might suggest using a two-way coax splitter and running one line to the MoCA adapter and the other to the Premiere, thereby avoiding use of the pass-through on the MoCA adapter; but that's unnecessary based on my experience. Connect Ethernet from the MoCA adapter to the Premiere and you should be good to go.
Now you definitely get my attention! I'm very likely to pull the trigger shortly on a new Roamio Plus, which has built-in MoCA support. I already have a 2-tuner Premiere XL. So this is saying that I can buy only one MoCA adapter (not TiVo's 2-pack) and a new Roamio Plus without needing to get a second one to attach to my cable modem? If so, this will greatly simplify what I hope to do, as well as saving money!
stevewjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewjackson View Post
Now you definitely get my attention! I'm very likely to pull the trigger shortly on a new Roamio Plus, which has built-in MoCA support. I already have a 2-tuner Premiere XL. So this is saying that I can buy only one MoCA adapter (not TiVo's 2-pack) and a new Roamio Plus without needing to get a second one to attach to my cable modem? If so, this will greatly simplify what I hope to do, as well as saving money!
As long as your Roamio would be connected directly to the Router via Ethernet, yes, only one MoCA adapter at the Premiere XL.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
As long as your Roamio would be connected directly to the Router via Ethernet, yes, only one MoCA adapter at the Premiere XL.
Drat. They'll be on different floors, so that's out. Thanks.
stevewjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #9
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Why would that matter?
Old 10-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #10
fyodor

Quote:
Why would that matter?
Because they need internet access.If one Premiere is connected via Ethernet to the router it can provide access to the other via MocA. If they are on separate floors you can't do that.
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #11
poppagene
User

Quote:
I have a TiVo Premiere XL4 & a TiVo Premiere. One will have access to ethernet, the other wont.

Do I need two MoCa adaptors or just one? Yes I looked at https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/moca and I'm not quite getting it.

My goal is for the non-wired TiVo to be able to stream in real time or better. Right now, they are in rooms with ethernet and the transfer speed is nearly 4X real time. When I go WiFi, the speed is .6-.7. For what it's worth. After the move, as I said, the room it's going to isn't wired.
As long as the premiere xl4 is connected to the router by ethernet, it can form a MoCa bridge that connects to a MoCa adpter at the location of the tivo premiere and only one adapter needed.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
poppagene
User

Quote:
As long as the Roamio plus is able to connect to the router via ethernet, you should be able to connect to the premiere on a different floor with one moca adapter at the location of the premiere.

I believe the Roamio Plus has wifi and can connect to the router via wifi. If so maybe the roamio can connect to the router via wifi (different floors) and connect to the premiere through a moca bridge (i don't know for sure about this last possibility)
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote