TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
El Maestro

Noob question? (Standby/Power Off)

Hi,

Just getting going with everything. I overcame my V70 errors last night (just had to wait them out and connect the Romaio to the TiVo service and reboot the Minis) and got everything to work in and out of home.

I do still have one, really dumb question:

Is there a way/do I have to turn the Mini's (or even the Roamio) off? I woke up this morning and the white LED was still on on both my Minis. There's a standby option but it's buried deep in a menu which suggests to me that it's not often used.

I searched on this and these forums (and others) seem to suggest that it's fine to leave them on, but does the LED staying on mean the unit is constantly active? Does this even matter?

I'm sorry if this is dumb!
El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

The minis auto "sleep"... You get the hit tivo prompt bouncing around the screen. This mode isn't reflected in the led... You can turn it off in the settings, I did. The minis are pretty efficient, so the standby mode in the menu isn't going to make a huge difference.

-------

Standby on the full box has been discussed at length on here. It pretty much just turns off the outputs. One upside is that the box will ignore emergency broadcasts, depending on how your community broadcasts them. Scheduled recordings still record etc, so the power savings is relatively small.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
El Maestro

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. It seems like I can adopt a "set it and forget it" attitude and just leave them all on and let them do their thing.

This EAS thing is an issue I've never thought about; I don't see a lot where I live (Upstate NY). I'll keep an eye on it.
El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote