TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
dave13077

Moving recorded shows

I would love to transition from my Premiere XL4 and 2 tuner Premiere to a Roamio Pro and a Mini (I already have another Mini in our bedroom). My issue is transferring all the recorded content from the XL4 to the new Roamio. Easy to transfer non copy restricted shows but how does anyone, if even possible, move the copy protected content to the Romano?
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
atmuscarella

I don't believe it is possible.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
csell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
I would love to transition from my Premiere XL4 and 2 tuner Premiere to a Roamio Pro and a Mini (I already have another Mini in our bedroom). My issue is transferring all the recorded content from the XL4 to the new Roamio. Easy to transfer non copy restricted shows but how does anyone, if even possible, move the copy protected content to the Romano?
I've been complaining about this forever - there should be a way to "move" copy protected shows from one Tivo to the other. I did not say "copy", but instead "move" so it seems like Tivo should be able to figure out a way to legally do that. This is the only reason I have not upgraded my Tivo yet. My shows are like my library collection. I don't want to just throw them all away.
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I don't believe it is possible.
You would think that Tivo would work on a workaround (while keeping the content gods happy) for this. If you were able to transfer all of your recordings easily than more people would upgrade.
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
I've been complaining about this forever - there should be a way to "move" copy protected shows from one Tivo to the other. I did not say "copy", but instead "move" so it seems like Tivo should be able to figure out a way to legally do that. This is the only reason I have not upgraded my Tivo yet. My shows are like my library collection. I don't want to just throw them all away.
The CableLabs regulations do not allow that. Yes, you can make a common sense argument that "moving" it is not exactly the same as "copying" it, but from a copyright law standpoint, and from the standpoint of making the content owners happy it is.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
csell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
The CableLabs regulations do not allow that. Yes, you can make a common sense argument that "moving" it is not exactly the same as "copying" it, but from a copyright law standpoint, and from the standpoint of making the content owners happy it is.
In one of their surveys, they asked if you would be interested in the functionality to "move" a copyrighted show from your Tivo to your iPad but then never be allowed to move it again. So its clearly something have discussed and realize that it can be done. Its an issue that can probably be challenged and won.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
JosephB

Quote:
So its clearly something have discussed and realize that it can be done. Its an issue that can probably be challenged and won.
Clearly you're wrong, given that you can't do it. They likely discussed it and thought if it was worth fighting for, and thus asked their customers. Given that we can't do that, either they asked and couldn't make it happen or they decided it wasn't even worth asking for.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
Old 11-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
csell

Quote:
Clearly you're wrong, given that you can't do it. They likely discussed it and thought if it was worth fighting for, and thus asked their customers. Given that we can't do that, either they asked and couldn't make it happen or they decided it wasn't even worth asking for.
Or like everything else, it takes them forever to implement.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Would it be possible to create a software program on the PC that would capture the network traffic and extract the data pertaining to the audio/video?

If so, I can see why it would not be allowed.

BTW, you wouldn't just have to throw away your shows. You can keep the unactivated Tivo around and watch them at your leisure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
mattack

Quote:
Wait, I forget if it's copy once or some other special case, but on my XS32 recorder, some recordings I can MOVE to a DVD-RAM, but can't burn them to DVD-R for example. (The annoying part is that the recorder wasn't smart enough to verify that it actually moved properly, so when the orig DVD drive started corrupting disks, you would lose recordings because it corrupted the disk AND deleted the orig from the hard drive..)

That's not CableLabs, but it is the existing copy protection scheme.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Would it be possible to create a software program on the PC that would capture the network traffic and extract the data pertaining to the audio/video?
TiVo is required to take reasonable efforts to prevent you from being able to do that. Once you figure out how to break SSL encryption, you'll be able to capture it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Wait, I forget if it's copy once or some other special case, but on my XS32 recorder, some recordings I can MOVE to a DVD-RAM, but can't burn them to DVD-R for example. (The annoying part is that the recorder wasn't smart enough to verify that it actually moved properly, so when the orig DVD drive started corrupting disks, you would lose recordings because it corrupted the disk AND deleted the orig from the hard drive..)

That's not CableLabs, but it is the existing copy protection scheme.
If it's not CableLabs, then it's not germane to this conversation. CableLabs rules dictate what TiVo can do, not what FCC broadcast flag rules are or what Toshiba decided to do with their DVD-R set-top.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
csell

I'm sure this has been addressed many times in various threads, but - can you use your Tivo Mini to watch copyrighted shows?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
JosephB

Quote:
I'm sure this has been addressed many times in various threads, but - can you use your Tivo Mini to watch copyrighted shows?
Yes. In-home streaming is not considered the same thing as copying. If the CCI byte is set, you cannot *copy/move* the recording and you cannot stream it outside of your home, but you can stream it *inside* your home network.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #14
mattack

It is germane, because the cablelabs rules seem to be based on the existing copy once/copy never rules that already existed.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #15
Ben_Jamin75

Something odd happend for me when i set up my Roamio.
Before I put in the cable card, i began transfering shows from two other boxes, one of which was going to be giving up it's cable card to the new Roamio. Several of the recordings had the red "not allowed" circle. Mostly from SyFy, Lifetime, & HBO.
Once I did move the cable card, I had some trouble getting it paired (partly because i plugged in the tuning adapter too early). Anyway, after the cable company rep, reaplied the packages i subscribe to, and sent multiple "hits", and got everything working.... Tivo suddenly let me transfer several of the recordings that were previously blocked.
I was able to transfer the entire season of True Blood from my XL4 (CC still installed). For Drop Dead Diva, all but the most recent episode was now eligible for transfer.

I'm not sure what caused this to happen.... maybe the fact that i recently unsubscribed to the premium channels had something to do with it. Maybe the cable company rep made a mistake... i don't know, but i'm glad it worked.

I always thought the copy restriction was embedded in the original recording....

thoughts?
Ben_Jamin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #16
jacbec

Still have not found app/apps that will RELIABLY Transfer TiVo recordings or an app that will Convert them. Seems if there is any type of momentary glitch in the original recording to the TiVo that the Transfer will not complete.
jacbec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #17
en sabur nur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
The only way to do it is through the analog hole. You have to capture the video through the component outputs. There are LEGAL devices, that you can purchase, that can capture the component output to a computer. After that, the re-recorded video is essentially free of copy restrictions.
en sabur nur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #18
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacbec View Post
Still have not found app/apps that will RELIABLY Transfer TiVo recordings or an app that will Convert them. Seems if there is any type of momentary glitch in the original recording to the TiVo that the Transfer will not complete.
That is true for apparently *EVERY* transfer (including via the Tivo official apps) EXCEPT between Tivos. Between Tivos it does a raw copy..