Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
devilboy836
Hockey, not Satan

Arrow Divorce Not Going Well

Good evening folks,

So... after buying a new TiVo Roamio and moving my TiVo (S3) HD to my office, I decided that I didn't need the extender anymore - it was just sucking needless power and giving me storage space I didn't need.

So I read up on what to do to disconnect an external drive. Followed the instructions, unplug TiVo, unplug external drive, plug in TiVo, when prompted, clear, thumbs down three times, hit enter, and all should be right in the world.

Except that after I did that, the TiVo would "process" my command, reboot, and bring me back to that screen of "hey, we don't see that external drive" screen. Do that thumbs down thingy again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Alright, so my TiVo is having separation issues. So you know what, it's not worth the headache, I'll plug the external drive back in.

Yeah... that made my TiVo angry. Now it reboots, "Welcome! Powering up..." then "Almost there. Just a few minutes more..." and then GSOD - Serious problems, TiVo will try to fix it and it may take 3 hours. It reboots only a few seconds after the GSOD, back to "Welcome! Powering Up..."

This has been cycling for a while.

Did I just kill a perfectly fine TiVo?

I'm handy when it comes to computers - I fix them for a living. But thumbing through the 52 pages of some posts on the forum made my eyes blurry and searching just kinds brought me back to those posts.

I don't mind a project to make this work again, and I don't care about the programs - obviously since I was divorcing the drive and knew that was going to clear most of the programs on it.

Any direction is greatly appreciated... Thank you.
devilboy836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

There are two main things that can go wrong- a drive or a power supply.

In the past the drive was always the first suspect, but with the S3s I would suggest investigating the power supply first. Look through some of the threads on this first- domed caps are a great indicator, but they fail without showing any outward signs as well.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
devilboy836
Hockey, not Satan

Thanks jrtroo for the reply.

I guess the good news is I opened up the sucker and the capacitors all look fine:

In my honest opinion, I think the drive is good too. I don't hear any abnormal noises, no clicking. And although quiet, I can hear it spin up and access data when the TiVo is booting.

I think my issue really is just the software got horribly confused when I tried to disconnect my external drive.

I tried Kickstart 52 (Emergency Software Install) but for some reason, I never get to this screen:

I always end up back at the "External Storage Missing" screen when the drive is disconnected or the GSOD when the drive is connected.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

It's an S3, and since you already lost all the data from the divorce, why not just grab an image and put it clean on the drive? or are the season passes and thumbs data important to you?
Old 11-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
It's an S3, and since you already lost all the data from the divorce, why not just grab an image and put it clean on the drive? or are the season passes and thumbs data important to you?
Yep, best an easiest solution for you.

I will never recommend an extender drive, way too many things can go wrong!

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...73#post9883673
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
devilboy836
Hockey, not Satan

Actually season pass and thumb ratings mean nothing since I "moved" the important stuff over to my Roamio. I can certainly image it.

I just didn't know if a) I was missing anything obvious I didn't think of
and b) was hoping to get away without having to buy an image!

Thank you though for your advice and suggestions!

Edit: thanks for the link! Are those images free?
Old 11-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
devilboy836
Hockey, not Satan

I think I'm going to be fine, and I want to thank everyone that responded you for your direction.

I did hit a bit of a speed-bump with the image from unitron - it seems as if the image won't work on the factory drive because the 160GB drive is too small - WinMFS keeps on telling me "Destination drive is too small. You need 488395779 sectors at least." which the stock 160GB drive only has 312581808.

I presume this is because the image is really designed for those who are installing larger drives. I'll see if I can find a larger drive at work tomorrow and try that.

Thank you again. I'll be sure to post an update when I have one tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Post a question in that thread... If you are using the correct image it should fit on the stock drive.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:04 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilboy836 View Post
I think I'm going to be fine, and I want to thank everyone that responded you for your direction.

I did hit a bit of a speed-bump with the image from unitron - it seems as if the image won't work on the factory drive because the 160GB drive is too small - WinMFS keeps on telling me "Destination drive is too small. You need 488395779 sectors at least." which the stock 160GB drive only has 312581808.

I presume this is because the image is really designed for those who are installing larger drives. I'll see if I can find a larger drive at work tomorrow and try that.

Thank you again. I'll be sure to post an update when I have one tomorrow.

Which image are you trying to use?

Because my 652 images came off of a 160GB WD drive which I assume is the drive TiVo installed in the factory, because it's the same drive that showed up in a second 652 I acquired later.

You aren't doing this on a GigaByte motherboard, are you?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #10
devilboy836
Hockey, not Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Which image are you trying to use?
Hi unitron! I used your image at this address:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20/648250b.tbk

And just to clarify I'm on a TiVo HD - which is part of the Series 3 generation (right?).

Quote:
Because my 652 images came off of a 160GB WD drive which I assume is the drive TiVo installed in the factory, because it's the same drive that showed up in a second 652 I acquired later.
It's all stock, and you're right, it's a 160GB WD drive. WinMFS just told me I needed 488395779 sectors, and that WD drive only has 312581808... which does match the label. Maybe WinMFS is screwing me up? Or maybe I'm just picking the wrong image?

Quote:
You aren't doing this on a GigaByte motherboard, are you?
Nah, although I couldn't tell you the exact maker, it's whatever Gateway used back in 2004. That's right, old school Pentium D with 4 GB RAM. Mac daddy back then, sad today.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Hi unitron! I used your image at this address:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20/648250b.tbk

And just to clarify I'm on a TiVo HD - which is part of the Series 3 generation (right?).

It's all stock, and you're right, it's a 160GB WD drive. WinMFS just told me I needed 488395779 sectors, and that WD drive only has 312581808... which does match the label. Maybe WinMFS is screwing me up? Or maybe I'm just picking the wrong image?

Nah, although I couldn't tell you the exact maker, it's whatever Gateway used back in 2004. That's right, old school Pentium D with 4 GB RAM. Mac daddy back then, sad today.

I think I see the problem.

TiVo brought out the original Series 3, the TCD648250, with or without a B on the end, with a 250GB hard drive and the letters "HD" all over the box.

Then later they brought out 2 more Series 3 platform models, the TCD652160, which they called the HD, and the identical looking TCD658000, which they called the HD XL.

And people have been confusing the 648 and the 652 ever since.

You're trying to use an image that needs a 250GB drive (and wouldn't be the right on for the TiVo you have), so that 160GB isn't big enough.

Not enough people are going through me to get free Dropbox accounts, so I'm not getting enough free space, so I haven't put the latest 11.0m 652 images on there yet, but the 11.0k images should work just fine and get updated to m by TiVo themselves when the TiVo phones home.

For use with the MFS Live cd v1.4

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/652_gset.bak

For use with WinMFS

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/652_gset.tbk

Old 11-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
devilboy836
Hockey, not Satan

That sounds about right. Then I definitely have the TiVo HD (not the original S3, and not the HD XL).

Great, I will try that image once I get home. I don't have a dropbox account, but I certainly don't mind making one if it'll help you get more space! You're providing an awesome service, and I'm more than happy to help out!
Old 11-14-2013, 02:05 AM   #13
unitron

Quote:
That sounds about right. Then I definitely have the TiVo HD (not the original S3, and not the HD XL).

Great, I will try that image once I get home. I don't have a dropbox account, but I certainly don't mind making one if it'll help you get more space! You're providing an awesome service, and I'm more than happy to help out!
Click on my user name and email or PM me with your email address.

I submit that to DropBox and they invite you to sign up for a free account and when you do I get more free space and you get more than you would have if you'd signed up on your own.

You install their program on your PC, it creates a Dropbox folder on your hard drive and files you move into or copy into that folder get copied over the internet to the DropBox servers where you can access them, and you can have a Public folder inside that one for stuff that you want to give other people download links for--that's how I do the TiVo images.

They don't spam you, and the program doesn't suck up resources on your PC.

Of course they hope you'll like them enough to get a paying account (which gives you a lot more space on their servers), and may make you an offer once in a great while, but frankly PayPal emails me credit card offers about a hundred times for every time I hear from Dropbox.