TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

So I've started Supernatural (possible spoilers)

I've watched the first 2 episodes. I have to say so far so good. I've already recognized quite a few faces in just two episodes. I have a long way to go though, don't I?
Old 06-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

It gets better. My daughter started watching a while ago via Netflix and I rewatched the first 3 or 4 with her. I'd forgotten how stiff the acting was in the early days . Plus some of my favorite characters don't show up until a good bit later.

The early ones are a lot of fun, don't get me wrong. But it definitely gets better.

Have fun!
Old 06-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
sean67854
Why?

TC CLUB MEMBER
Welcome to the fold! As things progress I think you'll really start to enjoy how clever the writing is sometimes, and how much everyone involved with show seems to "get it".

Xbox gamertag sean67854

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
danterner
Not it!

I'm interested to hear your thoughts as you watch. It's a great series, and I think it generally gets under-discussed here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
Welcome to the fold! As things progress I think you'll really start to enjoy how clever the writing is sometimes, and how much everyone involved with show seems to "get it".
As long as it gets better I'm in for the long haul. I already think by episode 3 that it's really good. Jensen, I already loved but I'm surprised at how fast I became a fan of Jared. I've never seen him in anything before and at first thought he might annoy me but he's good. I don't find the acting stiff.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
IndyJones1023
Documentarianologist

I watched the premiere and maybe one or two more, then bailed. But picked it back up in season 3 or 4. It gets mightily awesome, so stick with it. The pay off is fantastic.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #7
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
how clever the writing is sometimes, and how much everyone involved with show seems to "get it".
An episode lasts about 43 minutes and there's frequently about 3.742 minutes of good stuff. Except for the total duds.

One of the best shows on television.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I watched seasons 1 and 2 normally, thought it was a fun show, but I put it on the back burner.
I had seasons 3-6 saved. I had a chance to get caught up last summer and flew though 4 seasons in time to start watching season 7.
I was irritated that I had to watch season 7 on a week to week basis.

THAT'S how good it is.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
An episode lasts about 43 minutes and there's frequently about 3.742 minutes of good stuff. Except for the total duds.

Umm, I think your decimal point is off.

Shouldn't that be 37.42 minutes of good stuff?

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #10
sean67854
Why?

TC CLUB MEMBER
My two favorite episodes are Season 4 Episode 6, "Yellow Fever" and Season 6 Episode 15, "The French Mistake".

You'll know why when you get there.

Xbox gamertag sean67854

Old 06-10-2012, 02:00 AM   #11
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
No. But I did look at the math and, properly rounding off, it's 3.741.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:16 AM   #12
Peter000

Quote:
My two favorite episodes are Season 4 Episode 6, "Yellow Fever" and Season 6 Episode 15, "The French Mistake".

"The Monster at the End of the Book" is by far my favorite ep (also a Season 4 episode).
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:29 AM   #13
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Great show!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

There's an over-arching story that gradually emerges over the first couple seasons, and once that kicks into gear it becomes awesome and just gets awesomer and awesomer until it ends with Season 5.

Then the show keeps going because it was making money and the network couldn't bear to let it end, but it's still pretty good.

Like many other shows of this general nature, it likes to do the occasional comedy episode. Unlike most, it integrates them very well into the series, and in fact is constantly blurring the line between drama and comedy without lessening the dramatic impact of what's going on. Not sure how they do it. Genius, probably (and I don't mean the Anubys variety! ).
Old 06-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #15
Chris Gerhard

It is a good series in my opinion. I purchased the first 4 seasons on DVD or Blu-ray and have watched 5 and most of 6 using TiVo and OTA. I liked the first couple of seasons the best.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #16
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Umm, I think your decimal point is off.

Quote:
No. But I did look at the math and, properly rounding off, it's 3.741.
ummm

Quote:

Oh great, I'm only on Season 1 Episode 4 this morning. That's too far off to start talking about. Now I want to skip to them. But I won't.

Do you guys want to discuss each episode or just my thoughts in general as I watch?
Old 06-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #17
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I'm watching Episode 4 and I am liking the whole "Final Destination" vibe to this.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #18
danterner
Not it!

The first season had several episodes that riffed on popular horror movies and tropes. That faded somewhat as the show found its footing and its own distinct arc developed. One of the things the show has always been very good at is acknowledging its source material with a wink and a nod (or sometimes an outright character exclamation), so that those riffs always come off as clever homages rather than derivative plagiaristic works. It's actually one of the aspects of the series I enjoy the most.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
Old 06-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #19
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
The first season had several episodes that riffed on popular horror movies and tropes. That faded somewhat as the show found its footing and its own distinct arc developed. One of the things the show has always been very good at is acknowledging its source material with a wink and a nod (or sometimes an outright character exclamation), so that those riffs always come off as clever homages rather than derivative plagiaristic works. It's actually one of the aspects of the series I enjoy the most.
Nice, I didn't get the feeling they were copying Final Destination but it was clear they were thinking about it when they wrote this episode.

It's always a good sign for me when the episode goes fast. Some shows I feel like I like but I'm always getting through the episode. I haven't felt that way on this so far.

Okay I have to do some work today (booo!) then I'll start back on Episode 5 later this afternoon.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #20
sean67854
Why?

TC CLUB MEMBER
You have inspired me to go back and start from the beginning again.

As others have said, many times when the plot starts to resemble a popular horror trope, some character will directly comment on it. This show really knows its place.

Xbox gamertag sean67854

Old 06-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
hummingbird_206

I started watching a few months ago, but barely made it halfway through the first season. I need to get back into it.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #22
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Is it just me or do you refuse to ever play 'Bloody Mary' even though you know it's totally not real?
Old 06-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #23
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Is it just me or do you refuse to ever play 'Bloody Mary' even though you know it's totally not real?
Quote:
Quote:
I can't believe you just said that three times in a row!

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
Old 06-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #24
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I can't believe you just said that three times in a row!

Nicely done
Old 06-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #25
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Okay the soft whisper like voice that Sam uses when talking to people cracks me up.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #26
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I saw a few episodes of this when visiting my SIL. I liked it, but I feel like 150+ episodes is a lot to commit to.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #27
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Okay last post of the night, then I'm turning this off. Just finished episode 6 and I have questions. I should have a mod add "possible spoilers" to the titles so we can discuss freely. For now I'll spoiler my questions .....

Spoiler:
1. The police think Dean was the killer and he made a comment about seeing his own funeral. So how's that going to work now that he's supposedly dead to the world??
2. Where do these two get money to travel and do all this? I know Dean made a reference last episode to winning money playing poker but that isn't going to sustain them both on country wide trips non stop so I'm curious.

Still liking it a lot! I see the title of the next one and I already can see what they are referencing from folklore. Tomorrow!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #28
Peter000

Quote:
Okay last post of the night, then I'm turning this off. Just finished episode 6 and I have questions. I should have a mod add "possible spoilers" to the titles so we can discuss freely. For now I'll spoiler my questions .....

Spoiler:
1. The police think Dean was the killer and he made a comment about seeing his own funeral. So how's that going to work now that he's supposedly dead to the world??
2. Where do these two get money to travel and do all this? I know Dean made a reference last episode to winning money playing poker but that isn't going to sustain them both on country wide trips non stop so I'm curious.
Spoiler:
1. It's addressed in upcoming episodes.
2. They use a lot of stolen credit cards and stolen identities.

Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #29
Queue
UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Quote:

Spoiler:

Still liking it a lot! I see the title of the next one and I already can see what they are referencing from folklore. Tomorrow!
They get money by credit card fraud and scams.

I watched all these last year. I didn't watch the current season though. I'd like to see what happens.
Queue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:07 AM   #30
cheesesteak
Meh.

A lot of shows have all of their good ideas in the first season and then run out of steam. The middle and later years of Supernatural are very, very good.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote