TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
_Ryan_

Pause Ads arrive with 14.4...

I was pretty disappointed when I saw my first "pause ad" on my Premiere today when I paused a Seinfeld recording. Thus far I had not seen this on the Premiere at all, and I strongly disliked them on the TiVo HD. I was hoping they would never show up on the Premiere... I assume they were implemented with the 14.4 update I received last week. I don't mind the ads on the discovery bar at all, but having a banner pop up over part of the screen when I pause a show is quite annoying.

If anyone is interested, the ad said "See great (and green) technology here!"

Is everyone else suddenly getting "pause ads" on their Premieres?

PS: I was a bit surprised to see TiVo working to get more ads implemented before they even finish all the HD menus and the video overlay...
_Ryan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
andydumi
Fish. Butt.

I also noticed them today. One thing I wish we had more of was the button to record something during commercials.

And I agree they have their priorities all wrong. But I guess we already bought the machine, so we are lower on the totem pole now than advertisers.
andydumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
deandashl

It can be exciting to buy a product that is not finished. But I have a year old HD XL and it's not THAT exciting that I'd buy a TiVo Prem____ (to be completed, per TiVo)

deandashl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
TrueTurbo

Can't say I've noticed. I don't look at the ads. The only time I notice any ads on a TiVo is when someone here starts bitching about ads appearing on a TiVo!

Learn to focus, people. The ads don't get in the way of anything and if you absolutely can't stand seeing pause ads, just hit the 'clear' button and they disappear.
TrueTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #5
_Ryan_

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTurbo View Post
Learn to focus, people. The ads don't get in the way of anything and if you absolutely can't stand seeing pause ads, just hit the 'clear' button and they disappear.
Actually, they do get in the way of something: the picture. The ad cover's part of the screen when you pause a program.

Is it a deal breaker? No. Is it annoying? Yes. A big bright banner pops up over your show. Can you make it go away? Sure, by hitting the down button. But the next time you watch a program, the ads come back upon pausing it. You can't turn the ads off permanently.

This new ad implementation seemed to be worth mentioning in this forum to try and figure out if it was a new feature in 14.4, or if the ads are simply rare and I didn't see one until today. If you disagree, I'm not sure I understand why.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
kturcotte

Wish they had a way to disable it. I'd be willing to pay $2 or $3 more a month for this.
kturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:00 AM   #7
TrueTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
This new ad implementation seemed to be worth mentioning in this forum to try and figure out if it was a new feature in 14.4, or if the ads are simply rare and I didn't see one until today. If you disagree, I'm not sure I understand why.
I don't understand what you are getting at. Disagree with what!?

Anyway, TiVo ads are not new. They've been around for a while now and they are not going away. I don't know if they have only recently started on the TiVo Premiere because I simply and truly just ignore them. I personally don't find them obtrusive in any way.

So what if an ad pops up when you pause! If you paused because you wanted to look at a still picture in detail, you're not going to leave the play bar on display anyway so you'll hit the 'clear' key. That makes the play bar and the ad go away. If you paused because you need to take a leak or something, again, who cares if an ad pops up! You're not sitting there looking at it. When you get back, you hit play and continue watching whatever you were watching.

Honestly, I really don't get why some people get their knickers in a twist over the TiVo adds. They do not hamper TiVo functionality and if they help bring in a little more revenue for TiVo, I have absolutely no problem with that.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
kturcotte

Quote:

Anyway, TiVo ads are not new. They've been around for a while now and they are not going away. I don't know if they have only recently started on the TiVo Premiere because I simply and truly just ignore them. I personally don't find them obtrusive in any way.

So what if an ad pops up when you pause! If you paused because you wanted to look at a still picture in detail, you're not going to leave the play bar on display anyway so you'll hit the 'clear' key. That makes the play bar and the ad go away. If you paused because you need to take a leak or something, again, who cares if an ad pops up! You're not sitting there looking at it. When you get back, you hit play and continue watching whatever you were watching.

Honestly, I really don't get why some people get their knickers in a twist over the TiVo adds. They do not hamper TiVo functionality and if they help bring in a little more revenue for TiVo, I have absolutely no problem with that.
I haven't noticed them yet. On the Series 3, do ads show up ONLY during Pause, or also during fast forward and rewind? If JUST during Pause, that won't bother me in the least. Fast forward and rewind are different though, if you can't see when to hit play.
kturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:57 AM   #9
ewilts
Who, me?

Quote:
Anyway, TiVo ads are not new. They've been around for a while now and they are not going away.
They will go away for me. When my TiVo box eventually dies, I will not replace it with another box by TiVo.

Quote:
Honestly, I really don't get why some people get their knickers in a twist over the TiVo adds
When I bought my box and subscription from TiVo, ads were not included. They were later added without an option for me to decline them.

Quote:
They do not hamper TiVo functionality
Yes they do. They block part of the image on the screen and force users to use additional effort to make them go away.

If TiVo gave users an option to turn ads off, you may chose to leave them on but I'd be willing to bet at least a quarter that the vast majority of users will turn ads off. That would be a clear message to TiVo that we DO NOT WANT THEM.

I have never chosen to click on a TiVo-provided ad and I never will.
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #10
lujan

I agree with ewilts and I don't know what's wrong with TrueTurbo because if you agree with the ads now and find no problem with them, TiVo and others will just continue to add more of them to see what they can get away with until we're seeing nothing but ads everywhere. The time to complain about it is now to help prevent them from spreading like cockroaches.
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #11
SnydersWeb

I let TiVo have it last week over this. It's not about the fact they have ads, it's really how they're going about it that I find so objectionable.

In short, finish the product, finish delivering on the promise of what this product can be then give us the ads or at least give us the ads while they give us the big enhancement. Doing it that way the ads are likely to be better received.

To include ads in with what more/less appears to be a bugfix release was a bit galling. There are so many other things that need to be done for this product to realize its full potential.
SnydersWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnydersWeb View Post
I let TiVo have it last week over this. It's not about the fact they have ads, it's really how they're going about it that I find so objectionable.

In short, finish the product, finish delivering on the promise of what this product can be then give us the ads or at least give us the ads while they give us the big enhancement. Doing it that way the ads are likely to be better received.

To include ads in with what more/less appears to be a bugfix release was a bit galling. There are so many other things that need to be done for this product to realize its full potential.
We have a half finished product, with lots of bugs, after 4 years of development, and their highest priority was to get the ads back into the pause screens?

It does seem Tivo has lost sight of the fact that their customers should still come first. I read that Tivo Guide data recurring revenue was down to $170,000. This tells alot about tivo unit sales. How long before they stop and publish the guide data api so others can do it or stop selling units and going away.

I for one, with 3 lifetime subscriptions better get guide data for life of the units!
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #13
NYHeel

Quote:

Completely agree. I really don't see what the big deal is about Pause ads. Who cares. If I hit pause then I either stopped watching and I don't care what's on the screen or I want to look at a static image and I need to hit clear to get rid of the play bar anyway. So again who cares! It doesn't bother me at all. If I had the option to turn them off I wouldn't even bother with it since it doesn't bother me at all and let Tivo make a little money off the ads.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #14
smbaker

Quote:
PS: I was a bit surprised to see TiVo working to get more ads implemented before they even finish all the HD menus and the video overlay...
My guess would be that there's a relatively significant problem with the HD interface that it's taken this long since launch and is no closer to working. Turning on text ad links is something that was probably all set to go in the software and just needed a switch flipped. Maybe they can use the revenue to hire someone to fix the HD menu problem.

As far as the ads themselves... on my THD they don't bother me at all. I'm completely oblivious to them, don't read them, and couldn't recall what one of them said if you paid me to try. I'm not sure why the advertisers are paying for this sort of advertising, or why Tivo is bothering to put it on the box. The click-through rate is probably extremely poor. The same goes for ads that show up in the menus. In my entire history of owning Tivos, I've never clicked one.

What does worry me is the potential for more intrusive ad formats. The first day that video ads ever start to show up when paused, the Tivo either gets thrown in the dumpster or goes up for sale on ebay and gets replaced by something less intrusive.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #15
Mike-Mike

yeah, i don't see the big deal about the ads either

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mike-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #16
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
So again who cares! It doesn't bother me at all. If I had the option to turn them off I wouldn't even bother with it since it doesn't bother me at all and let Tivo make a little money off the ads.
If you wanted to help Tivo make money, you would click on those ads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #17
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandashl View Post
It can be exciting to buy a product that is not finished. But I have a year old HD XL and it's not THAT exciting that I'd buy a TiVo Prem____ (to be completed, per TiVo)

That's like buying a Toyota whose product has problems with their acceleration. People still buy the Toyota even though something is wrong with it.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #18
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Angry Hush up!

I swear, if I see any of these suggestions for additional ads appear on my Tivo I'm going come back here....

....and yell at you guys!!!

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilts View Post
They will go away for me. When my TiVo box eventually dies, I will not replace it with another box by TiVo.

When I bought my box and subscription from TiVo, ads were not included. They were later added without an option for me to decline them.

Yes they do. They block part of the image on the screen and force users to use additional effort to make them go away.

If TiVo gave users an option to turn ads off, you may chose to leave them on but I'd be willing to bet at least a quarter that the vast majority of users will turn ads off. That would be a clear message to TiVo that we DO NOT WANT THEM.

I have never chosen to click on a TiVo-provided ad and I never will.
As was already mentioned, if you pause to see something on the picture, you will have to press a button anyway to make the play bar disappear, which will also make the advertisements disappear too. So there are not any extra things to do. I don't notice any ads, when I paue I'm doing something else, I couldn't care less what is on the screen when I pause since I'm not looking at it while paused. And if for some reason I do want to look at it, I have to hit a button to make the play bar disappear which blocks part of the screen anyway. Having an advertisement there doesn't take anything away from the TV viewing experience.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 06-10-2010 at 06:18 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #20
AnotherBostonGuy

>> My guess would be that there's a relatively significant problem with the HD interface that it's taken this long since launch and is no closer to working.

The likelihood that they ever get the Flash-based menus to have good performance is about as close to 0% as you can get.

>> Click on the ad to make TiVo money
I just spent over $500 on the TiVo unit. I've already done my part.

Including it in a so-called bug fix release, and with so many problems still existing, really does show no one is advocating for the customer.

It's high-time TiVo joined the Community Forum officially, so we can have some two-way discussions. Furthermore, it'll allow us to let off some steam, and having some source of information is essential.

We're the early adopters for the Series 4, and no matter how much marketing TiVo attempts, we're the ones who will ultimately make or break it. And if you don't think so, you're living in the 90's.
AnotherBostonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #21
ewilts
Who, me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBostonGuy View Post
We're the early adopters for the Series 4, and no matter how much marketing TiVo attempts, we're the ones who will ultimately make or break it. And if you don't think so, you're living in the 90's.
The Series 3 users actually were. And TiVo never did fix critical, show-stopping, box-crashing bugs. It's no surprise to me that the S4 also had issues and why I didn't (and won't) buy one.
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #22
TrueTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBostonGuy View Post
It's high-time TiVo joined the Community Forum officially, so we can have some two-way discussions. Furthermore, it'll allow us to let off some steam, and having some source of information is essential.
Yeaaaah, riiiight, TiVo should definitely officially join the forum so they can get bitch-slapped and water-boarded by the rabid, dissatisfied Premiere users in here! They would sooooo enjoy the experience and we'd all get tons of valuable information from them.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #23
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrumpneuma View Post
I just had a brilliant idea. TiVo should sell ad space on the green screen of death.
I've never seen it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #24
caddyroger

Quote:
Yeaaaah, riiiight, TiVo should definitely officially join the forum so they can get bitch-slapped and water-boarded by the rabid, dissatisfied Premiere users in here! They would sooooo enjoy the experience and we'd all get tons of valuable information from them.
You are right why would any Tivo employee come here on this site. The only thing they would get is their ass chewed out even if it not there fault. I know I would not be here.
As for the ads as long as they do not appear on the recorded program. I have said it before Tivo should have 2 tiers of service. 1 tier priced with the ads and a second higher priced tier for no ads. Let the no ads tier make up for the money lost.
caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #25
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
You are right why would any Tivo employee come here on this site. The only thing they would get is their ass chewed out even if it not there fault. I know I would not be here.
As for the ads as long as they do not appear on the recorded program. I have said it before Tivo should have 2 tiers of service. 1 tier priced with the ads and a second higher priced tier for no ads. Let the no ads tier make up for the money lost.
TiVo has a complicate pricing structure now, so adding one without Ads that ordinary people understand, not happening. (You have two Lifetime plans now $299 for some existing customers with less than 5 or 6 TiVos and $399 for new customers, and you want to add two more plans?)
I guess a lot people spend a lot of time with the UI, I don't, just use the UI to get to the program I want to watch, if i pause, I am leaving the room, if I want a better look at the still picture I do the same thing I did before there were any Ads, I hit the down arrow (or clear button).
For the Ad haters, would you take a toll road without billboards or the free road with billboards if the travel time was the same?
When TiVo stops me from fast forwarding through commercials, then I will be an AD and TiVo hater.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #26
RichB

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
You are right why would any TiVo employee come here on this site. The only thing they would get is their ass chewed out even if it not there fault. I know I would not be here.
I have a novel thought.
Why don't TiVo employees stay off this site and concentrate on fixing its problems? That should keep them busy

I really think they missed the big gravy train.
We need a bigger waiting circle and put ad's inside it.
For gods sake, give us something to look at while we are watching that spinning circle.

- Rich
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #27
_Ryan_

Just saw my first double-decker pause ad on my Premiere... double the height and required two down clicks to get it to go away. Is this new, or just new to me?

It was kind of bothersome, since I didn't have the remote, and the person with the remote was trying to pause the show to see themselves in the audience of a gameshow - the ad blocked the view and they didn't know how to get it to go away. I told them to hit down and it still didn't go away. Took another down push to do it. Bah. This is getting almost embarrassing when guests are over...
Old 07-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #28
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
the person with the remote was trying to pause the show to see themselves in the audience of a gameshow - the ad blocked the view
I pause things all the time, trying to read or examine stuff in the show and the ads are *always* annoying, requiring an additional keypress every time. Double-decker? Ug.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #29
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
I have a novel thought.
Why don't TiVo employees stay off this site and concentrate on fixing its problems?
The TiVo folks who used to post on this forum were not developers. They were from areas like product marketing and support, jobs that by their nature involve interactions with customers. While random TiVo people may be browsing this forum, TiVo employees need formal management approval to post here.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #30
andydumi
Fish. Butt.

Another bad part in my opinion is that the ads are low resolution SD and on a large HD TV they stretch to giant proportions and look terrible.

Sadly I foresee the day when ads will appear while we actually watch the way TV channels have ads for their own shows.
andydumi is offline   Reply With Quote