Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
TiVo Series TCD240080

I am assuming it is the hard drive. I started to read the Trouble Shooting but basically during recording a show, there will be no sound and the video is scrambled.

I know it is an old one. We do not use it that much - I think we might even have our Series One somewhere, I think that was back in the day they let you upgrade.

Everytime I think maybe we should get a new one, they come out with something better.

I was looking at the hard drives for the TiVo and was wondering if 500G would be OK for that one?

We have just have had it for so long I don't want to throw it away if it is just a HD issue.

Also, I don't know if it is possible but a lot of the links don't work like TiVo Drive kits, DVRupgrade TiVo repairs, DVRupgrade: TiVo Life Extension. I don't know if they are still offering them or not.

Thank you!

Last edited by coreybryant : 11-14-2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: URLs
coreybryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreybryant View Post
I am assuming it is the hard drive. I started to read the Trouble Shooting but basically during recording a show, there will be no sound and the video is scrambled.

I know it is an old one. We do not use it that much - I think we might even have our Series One somewhere, I think that was back in the day they let you upgrade.

Every time I think maybe we should get a new one, they come out with something better.

I was looking at the hard drives for the TiVo and was wondering if 500G would be OK for that one?

We have just have had it for so long I don't want to throw it away if it is just a HD issue.

Thank you!
If it doesn't have lifetime, I would just replace it with a lifetime one off of craigslist. If it does have lifetime and you only use it on a SD TV then you probably can get by just replacing the hard drive with same model one small hard drive off of craigslist. Or if you want to drive to Arvada, I will give you a working same model for free. ( that doesn't have lifetime )

My gurlie friend said the same thing about me.
"We have just have had it for so long I don't want to throw it away if it is just a HD issue."
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thank you for the kind offer, it does have a lifetime license for the guide. And I am hoping that that is stored somewhere other than the hard drive. (It took me forever to find the model number - I thought I could find it in the menu.)

It is slow at times - when I push the TiVo button it takes maybe 4 seconds to respond. I don't know if I just need to defrag the hard drive or something. But having a larger HD would be good - I wouldn't have to transfer some things to my computer.

Hm, I wonder if having that would allow us to watch recorded shows from the living room in the bedroom (Comcast DVR up there).
Old 11-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Thank you for the kind offer, it does have a lifetime license for the guide. And I am hoping that that is stored somewhere other than the hard drive. (It took me forever to find the model number - I thought I could find it in the menu.)

It is slow at times - when I push the TiVo button it takes maybe 4 seconds to respond. I don't know if I just need to defrag the hard drive or something. But having a larger HD would be good - I wouldn't have to transfer some things to my computer.

Hm, I wonder if having that would allow us to watch recorded shows from the living room in the bedroom (Comcast DVR up there).
The lifetime sub, called Product Lifetime Service, is tied to the TiVo Service Number, which is found on an integrated circuit on the motherboard called a crypto chip (or at least it was up through the original Series 3, after which they started putting it in the CPU itself, so you couldn't move it to another motherboard of the same model to save the lifetime sub if your motherboard died).

There's a thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=416883

that discusses the use of SATA/IDE adapters which allow you to use a SATA drive in Series 1 and 2 TiVos even though they're set up to use the older PATA/IDE drives.

Short version, S1s need a Marvell chipset based adapter and S2s need either one of those or the less expensive JMicron chipset based adapters, but read all the way through the thread anyway.

Your motherboard is probably okay, but you could easily have a hard drive going bad, or a power supply that's fallen victim to "capacitor plague" or both.

You can fix the power supply by soldering in about $10 worth of replacement capacitors.

You can maybe copy the drive off to another drive if it's not too far gone, or if it is you can download a truncated image and restore it to a new drive.

We can talk you through all of that.

Got a #10 Torx bit?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Also, I don't know if it is possible but a lot of the links don't work like TiVo Drive kits, DVRupgrade TiVo repairs, DVRupgrade: TiVo Life Extension. I don't know if they are still offering them or not.
Looks like they are still available at Weaknees...

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-series2-tcd240080.php

But it might be cheaper if you can manage to DIY. It's fairly easy.

Quote:
It is slow at times - when I push the TiVo button it takes maybe 4 seconds to respond. I don't know if I just need to defrag the hard drive or something.
The slowness is inherent to the hardware. I still have a 540, and it is also slow. If yours seems slower than you remember, then that is just another sign that the hard drive may be failing.
BTW, I don't think you can defrag a Tivo hard drive. There's no procedure for it on the Tivo, and I'd be afraid to try it hooked up to a PC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
I try to copy all the shows once they are done so hopefully that is OK.

I am sure we have one of them, we have a ton of tools, telco etc... I wished I would have stayed at ITT but Desert Shield/Storm was happening and I joined.

I know my roommate can do all of that (he helped build the LinkPoint gateway back in the 90s and now manages a tech company that handles 5 credit unions).

I'll read over all of it in the next few days and see what I can post. I noticed someone had posted images of the board.

I mean, to one extent it still works and if it just needs a new hard drive / power supply, I think it is worth it.

I just keep putting off getting another one because they seem to keep coming out with a better one and much faster.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Looks like they are still available at Weaknees...

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-series2-tcd240080.php

But it might be cheaper if you can manage to DIY. It's fairly easy.

The slowness is inherent to the hardware. I still have a 540, and it is also slow. If yours seems slower than you remember, then that is just another sign that the hard drive may be failing.
BTW, I don't think you can defrag a Tivo hard drive. There's no procedure for it on the Tivo, and I'd be afraid to try it hooked up to a PC.
You might be able to run Kick Start 58 and get something kind of along the lines of defragging, but the hard drive has never been the bottleneck in a TiVo.

And my 540 makes my 240 look like it's on amphetamines, but my S2 DT smokes 'em both.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks - I did confirm we have the Torx T-10 driver (actually quite a few - just never knew the term). I have to complete one contract for another business .

Just curious, once I get this going - should I use Windows 7 32bit or Windows 8 64bit? I do have an older model that I have been contemplating putting *NIX on it - it had Windows 7 32bit but 1M RAM
Old 11-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Thanks - I did confirm we have the Torx T-10 driver (actually quite a few - just never knew the term). I have to complete one contract for another business .

Just curious, once I get this going - should I use Windows 7 32bit or Windows 8 64bit? I do have an older model that I have been contemplating putting *NIX on it - it had Windows 7 32bit but 1M RAM
Are you sure you don't mean 1GB of RAM?

A PC that can run 32bit Win7 and has a gig of RAM is plenty 'nuff PC for TiVo wrangling.

Depending on the size of the hard drive, suggest you leave Win7 on it and shrink some partitions to make room for dual booting.

Or just boot it from a Parted Magic or other Live cd when you're in a Linux-y mood.

Make yourself a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD so that you've got all of the hard drive manufacturers' diagnostic software programs in one place.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, 1G, sorry.

Looking at Getting Your Hard Drive Out of Your Unit for Testing there is a link there for •TiVo 230, 240 and 540 models - but it is another link that it dead.

Is there another link or somewhere else I should start to read?

Thank you!
Old 11-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You can maybe copy the drive off to another drive if it's not too far gone, or if it is you can download a truncated image and restore it to a new drive.

We can talk you through all of that.

Got a #10 Torx bit?
OK, I unplugged everything - got the #10 Torx bit. I read thru the troubleshooting but a lot of the links were dead, do I don't know if I remove the HD or hook it up to a computer and then download something to test the HD - it looks like I do but the links did not seem to work

Thank you!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Yes, 1G, sorry.

Looking at Getting Your Hard Drive Out of Your Unit for Testing there is a link there for •TiVo 230, 240 and 540 models - but it is another link that it dead.

Is there another link or somewhere else I should start to read?

Thank you!
You've got a 240, right?

Assemble some empty aspirin bottles to keep the screws in.

Once you get the lid off (make sure you don't remove the screws holding the fan)(and of course unplug both ends of the power cord first), turn it so that the front is facing you.

The drive is attached to a bracket and there are two screws between the bracket and the front panel.

Remove those two screws.

Then you can slide the bracket towards the back just a bit and it'll clear the two tangs and you can lift it right out (of course you should have disconnected the power cable and the ribbon cable already).

You can leave it on the bracket while you hook it to the PC and test it.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #13
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
OK - thanks! I will probably have to do this tomorrow afternoon - have an outpatient procedure soon and then a knee apt tmr (three knee surgeries) and PT right after.

When you say hook it up to the PC (which is what I thought) - I was reading about some of the diagnostics tools. But hooking up the HD to the PC - normally I have opened the PC and hooked the HD up that way. Or is there a different way with this one?

Thanks again!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
OK - thanks! I will probably have to do this tomorrow afternoon - have an outpatient procedure soon and then a knee apt tmr (three knee surgeries) and PT right after.

When you say hook it up to the PC (which is what I thought) - I was reading about some of the diagnostics tools. But hooking up the HD to the PC - normally I have opened the PC and hooked the HD up that way. Or is there a different way with this one?

Thanks again!
Open case, find available PATA or SATA controller, depending on the drive to be tested.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #15
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
OK, so once I do that, do I open one of my computers an install the drive there and download the diagnostics tools from the correct manufacturer? Or is there a YouTube Video also possibly?

Sorry this week has just been busy with three physician appointments and two clients partnering with me on selling merchant accounts. If I could get a could of extra hours in the day, at least I am sleeping 8 hours (I used to do all of this in the middle of the night).

Thank you!