TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 58 votes, 4.95 average.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:00 PM   #91
Adam1115
20,000!!!
 
Adam1115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Denver ish
Posts: 23,240
I can't believe this still isn't supported. What a bummer...
__________________
-----------------------------
Check out my (mostly) IT blog!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:30 AM   #92
pautler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115 View Post
I can't believe this still isn't supported. What a bummer...
Totally agree. :-(
pautler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:08 AM   #93
monkeydust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 459
I gave up and bought a FireTV a couple of months ago (which is pretty nice and the voice search is great but I still would prefer not to have to switch devices).
__________________
Active: Series 5 Plus, Series 4 Elite, Mini
Retired: S1, S2, & S3
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #94
jmpage2
Registered User
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,881
Supposedly there ere members here who were beta testing prime streaming but that was months ago and so far nada nothing zilcho.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #95
Diana Collins
Registered User
 
Diana Collins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: New York City Suburbs
Posts: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoli412 View Post
I still don't see Amazon abandoning support for Prime on existing or new 3rd party platforms. Their main drive is to sell content and Prime subscriptions, not the new box. It's just one more way to sell. I still think we'll see Prime streaming on TiVo eventually, though I agree it's ridiculous that it's taking this long.
It is interesting that neither Chromecast nor the newly announced Android TV have Amazon apps available either. Kind of points the finger at Amazon as the hold up.
__________________
Current Setup: 2 Roamio Pros, 5 Minis on FiOS (all with lifetime)

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #96
rainwater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Collins View Post
It is interesting that neither Chromecast nor the newly announced Android TV have Amazon apps available either. Kind of points the finger at Amazon as the hold up.
Sure, but that is because it directly competes with their products. For some reason they are not going to provide prime to Android users. I doubt that is the case for TiVo. I guess they just have not seen it as a priority for them. Hopefully that has changed recently though.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:46 AM   #97
Paul Coco
Registered User
 
Paul Coco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
I gave up and bought a FireTV a couple of months ago (which is pretty nice and the voice search is great but I still would prefer not to have to switch devices).
I did the same. Like the Fire TV and don't mind switching to it as it gives not only Amazon Prime but also a better Netflix app. I had the TiVo Netflix app crash on me a couple of times causing the TiVo Roamio Pro to reboot, once while it was recording several show. That won't happen with the Fire TV.
__________________
The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant.....the population is growing.
Paul Coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #98
davezatz
Funkadelic
 
davezatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Collins View Post
Kind of points the finger at Amazon as the hold up.
TiVo PR told me a couple years back it was on Amazon to champion and develop. And HBO laughed at me when I asked about GO on TiVo. But, at the end of the day, the responsible parties are irrelevant. Our TV platform just isn't as capable as other (lower cost) boxes for Internet video. I've got a Roku 3 in the bedroom, a Fire TV in the family room, and a Chromecast in the basement. At all three locations I also have TiVo. Sucks for us.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #99
Chris Gerhard
Registered User
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: AR
Posts: 4,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Collins View Post
It is interesting that neither Chromecast nor the newly announced Android TV have Amazon apps available either. Kind of points the finger at Amazon as the hold up.
I have not seen any definitive set of features for the upcoming Android TV, I don't think it is close to finalized yet. Google TV has an Amazon Prime app and Android TV should be an evolution of Google TV with a newer and easier to use operating system and more gaming options. It shouldn't be a step backwards in terms of streaming services available.
__________________
Home Theater - OTA TiVoHD/1.16TB/NSZ-GS8 GTV
MBR - OTA TiVoHD/660GB/NSZ-GT1 GTV
Den - OTA TiVo Premiere/2TB/NSZ-GT1 GTV
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #100
jbenda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8
Any chance some Google TV boxes/devices get an update to the Android TV platform?
jbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #101
Chris Gerhard
Registered User
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: AR
Posts: 4,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenda View Post
Any chance some Google TV boxes/devices get an update to the Android TV platform?
Not in my opinion and I am probably the biggest fan of Google TV. I don't think the hardware will be capable of running the new version of Android and all of the DRM requirements. If it is possible from a technical standpoint, it isn't feasible from a financial standpoint, no associated revenue to justify the costs.

I chose Google TV because it does the things I need as is and I never believed a $100 box would be updated years after released to be the same as current models. Just look to the first Apple TV, Roku, and other examples for evidence that won't happen. Some new Android TV apps might run just fine on Google TV but I suspect most won't.
__________________
Home Theater - OTA TiVoHD/1.16TB/NSZ-GS8 GTV
MBR - OTA TiVoHD/660GB/NSZ-GT1 GTV
Den - OTA TiVo Premiere/2TB/NSZ-GT1 GTV
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:03 AM   #102
davezatz
Funkadelic
 
davezatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
I don't think the hardware will be capable of running the new version of Android and all of the DRM requirements. If it is possible from a technical standpoint, it isn't feasible from a financial standpoint, no associated revenue to justify the costs.

...

Some new Android TV apps might run just fine on Google TV but I suspect most won't.
Yeah, I can't imagine Logitech for example would expend any resources on a product/initiative that didn't do well at all and nearly sunk the company.

Related to your second point, I have an Android L/TV APK which isn't recognized at all by my Fire TV. Obviously doesn't speak to all apps, but it's one data point.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #103
Diana Collins
Registered User
 
Diana Collins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: New York City Suburbs
Posts: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
I have not seen any definitive set of features for the upcoming Android TV, I don't think it is close to finalized yet...
I'm just going by the official announcement the other day, which highlighted Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go and YouTube apps, but had no mention of Amazon at all. Of course, Chromecast is a production product without Amazon support.

There is no Amazon Prime app on Apple TV either, a platform that arguably has sold more units than TiVo (Apple claims 20 million units, more than half in the past 2 years).

I think it is pretty clear that Amazon is focusing on TVs and BD players, and their own boxes. As others have said, if Amazon Prime is important to you, buy a Roku.
__________________
Current Setup: 2 Roamio Pros, 5 Minis on FiOS (all with lifetime)

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:18 PM   #104
davezatz
Funkadelic
 
davezatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Collins View Post
There is no Amazon Prime app on Apple TV either, a platform that arguably has sold more units than TiVo (Apple claims 20 million units, more than half in the past 2 years).
More than arguably. TiVo has fewer than 1 million retail subscribers, many of those prior to Premiere and Roamio who wouldn't receive an updated Amazon experience anyway. Interestingly, Amazon Prime is available on all the major gaming platforms. Entire list here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices/
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #105
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
More than arguably. TiVo has fewer than 1 million retail subscribers, many of those prior to Premiere and Roamio who wouldn't receive an updated Amazon experience anyway. Interestingly, Amazon Prime is available on all the major gaming platforms. Entire list here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices/
The list is interesting the only 2014 devices are from Sony. I have already seen complaints about the Amazon app being missing from 2014 Samsung Blu-ray players and it is very unclear if it is on 2014 Panasonic Blu-ray players (I have been looking at getting a new Blu-ray player).
__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #106
rainwater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
More than arguably. TiVo has fewer than 1 million retail subscribers, many of those prior to Premiere and Roamio who wouldn't receive an updated Amazon experience anyway. Interestingly, Amazon Prime is available on all the major gaming platforms. Entire list here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices/
The even stranger part is TiVos are the only device that does not support Prime Streaming but still supports the VOD part.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #107
jmpage2
Registered User
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
The list is interesting the only 2014 devices are from Sony. I have already seen complaints about the Amazon app being missing from 2014 Samsung Blu-ray players and it is very unclear if it is on 2014 Panasonic Blu-ray players (I have been looking at getting a new Blu-ray player).
Amazon might be moving to the Apple model where they want you to have their phone, their tablet and their STB in order to watch the content available from them.

I don't agree with Apple doing it, but even less so for someone like Amazon who built their streaming model up with robust support of other manufacturers devices.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #108
trickymost
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Amazon might be moving to the Apple model where they want you to have their phone, their tablet and their STB in order to watch the content available from them.

I don't agree with Apple doing it, but even less so for someone like Amazon who built their streaming model up with robust support of other manufacturers devices.
Amazon has no choice, unfortunately. The Android/iOS/Windows ecosystems are each moving to extend across new devices and also lock-in users simply on convenience.

Amazon's only chance to stay a big dog is to lock-in users to their ecosystems, which is why they're doing things like acquiring rights to HBO's library of original programming.

If everything continues on its present course, the same people who use TiVo will be forced to have multiple OTT boxes to get all content.

I blame TiVo for failing to keep their offering competitive as the landscape for TV is shifting. Every month which passes makes my TiVo seem less useful.
trickymost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #109
Diana Collins
Registered User
 
Diana Collins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: New York City Suburbs
Posts: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickymost View Post
...I blame TiVo for failing to keep their offering competitive as the landscape for TV is shifting. Every month which passes makes my TiVo seem less useful.
I wouldn't go that far. Probably the only way to get a new Amazon app at this point would be for TiVo to pay Amazon to write it, and they would probably have to pay a LOT to get them interested.

Meanwhile, from TiVo's point of view, if fewer and fewer devices are going to support Amazon Prime, it is not a disadvantage. They would have to have an analysis that shows significant increase of sales if they pay Amazon for the app, in order to justify the cost.

The TiVo is still our favorite way to access Netflix. although we do have Rokus in our two main viewing locations.
__________________
Current Setup: 2 Roamio Pros, 5 Minis on FiOS (all with lifetime)

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #110
monkeydust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 459
Yeah, I prefer the Netflix implementation on my Tivo over the FireTV's (well, at least on my Roamio...the one on my Elite is terribad due to the lag).
__________________
Active: Series 5 Plus, Series 4 Elite, Mini
Retired: S1, S2, & S3
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #111
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Amazon might be moving to the Apple model where they want you to have their phone, their tablet and their STB in order to watch the content available from them.

I don't agree with Apple doing it, but even less so for someone like Amazon who built their streaming model up with robust support of other manufacturers devices.
I love the Amazon eco system but if they switch to that, then they will end up losing alot of money from me. I would never use their phone, unless I could go back in time a few years. I've owned three of the FireHD tablets, but sold them since getting Google Android tablets. The Fire UI sucks compared to pure Android. I do have a FireTV, but I still get more use from my Roku boxes since there are only a limited number of apps on the FireTv. And I have zero desire to play any games on it.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #112
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickymost View Post
Amazon has no choice, unfortunately. The Android/iOS/Windows ecosystems are each moving to extend across new devices and also lock-in users simply on convenience.

Amazon's only chance to stay a big dog is to lock-in users to their ecosystems, which is why they're doing things like acquiring rights to HBO's library of original programming.

If everything continues on its present course, the same people who use TiVo will be forced to have multiple OTT boxes to get all content.

...............
We already need multiple boxes. I don't expect this to ever change. If there ever is a box that does everything(which I doubt will ever exist) It certainly won't do everything well.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |