TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 71 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #61
reddice

Really if you want Amazon Instant the Roku is the only way to go. I does stream Amazon Instant the most reliable though.
reddice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #62
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Really if you want Amazon Instant the Roku is the only way to go. I does stream Amazon Instant the most reliable though.
Xbox One is awesome for Amazon Instant.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #63
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Xbox One is awesome for Amazon Instant.
Does it let you actually rent movies are do you have to initiate it from the website (like on the 360)? I found the Xbox 360 Amazon Instant app to be a pretty lacking implementation.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:03 AM   #64
bicker
Gruff

We have an April deadline for making a decision about Amazon Prime Instant Video support for the coming year, as that's when our XBox Live Gold renewal comes due. I hate relying on XBox 360 for Amazon streaming. We could use a laptop connected to our system, but that's a pita to deal with in terms of pause and play. We could address some of that with our Push2TV 1000 but it's a little choppy sometimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #65
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Does it let you actually rent movies are do you have to initiate it from the website (like on the 360)? I found the Xbox 360 Amazon Instant app to be a pretty lacking implementation.
I'm not sure. I only use Prime streaming.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #66
s10023

Should i give up hope on this and just get a roku?
s10023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #67
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10023 View Post
Yes but for other reasons. Roku offers a LOT more streaming options over the TiVo.

I've learned to just appreciate TiVo for what it does well -- DVR and iOS app support.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #68
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10023 View Post
Rokus are great and I highly recommend that you get one ASAP. The idea of having one box to do everything is likely never going to happen. Different devices do different things well. I have a Roamio, Roku, and Chromecast. Each of them has its purpose.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:31 PM   #69
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have a Romaio, a Smart TV and a Chromecast. I use the Roamio for Netflix and YouTube, and the Smart TV for Amazon, VUDU and HBOGo. If TiVo offered apps for those services I'd probably never use the "smart" part of my TV again. I never use the Chromecast at all. Luckily it was only $11 after you count the free Netflix subscription I got with it, so not big loss.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #70
sangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I have a Romaio, a Smart TV and a Chromecast. I use the Roamio for Netflix and YouTube, and the Smart TV for Amazon, VUDU and HBOGo. If TiVo offered apps for those services I'd probably never use the "smart" part of my TV again. I never use the Chromecast at all. Luckily it was only $11 after you count the free Netflix subscription I got with it, so not big loss.
Ditto about the Chromecast. It's still sitting on my shelf unopened from Christmas. It was a nice thought, but between my Tivo, Apple TV, Blue-Ray player and Xbox, I have no need for it.
sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #71
Peter G

Roku is definitely a great solution for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and other streaming services. I have Roku 2; cost about $75 or less. Absolutely cannot beat this for ease of use and price.

I will say the latest Netflix app on Roamio is quite good, much improved over the Premiere I had. Also YouTube app seems pretty strong. An you can use Amazon but not the Prime on TiVo. Too bad they can't get the amazon Prime app going as I think TiVo would be just about the one box solution for me with this.

Peter G
Peter G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #72
danjw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
You can do it all on the Roku, both the free Prime content and the stuff you want to buy. You need to link it with your amazon account, but it is pretty easy.

Last edited by danjw1 : 02-20-2014 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Making my response more clear
danjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #73
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjw1 View Post
You can do it all on the Roku, both the free Prime content and the stuff you want to buy. You need to link it with your amazon account, but it is pretty easy.
The version on TiVo is actually different then any other device. All other devices stream Amazon content, even stuff you purchase, and the maximum quality for HD is 720p. TiVo's download purchased/rented content and they actually support full 1080p/24fps. So if your primary concern is quality then downloading to a TiVo is actually a better option then streaming to any other device.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #74
Grakthis

I hope you guys are keeping those Chromecasts handy, now that the floodgates are open... if I had an HDMI receiver, I'd be buying a 2nd one just to stream music.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #75
atmuscarella

Quote:
The version on TiVo is actually different then any other device. All other devices stream Amazon content, even stuff you purchase, and the maximum quality for HD is 720p. TiVo's download purchased/rented content and they actually support full 1080p/24fps. So if your primary concern is quality then downloading to a TiVo is actually a better option then streaming to any other device.
and the only way those of us who have to use slow DSL can purchase good HD content from the Internet. Streaming would be great but until Frontier gets there heads out of their A**es and upgrades their equipment I am SOL in the evening.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #76
sangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
I hope you guys are keeping those Chromecasts handy, now that the floodgates are open... if I had an HDMI receiver, I'd be buying a 2nd one just to stream music.
I'm not really sure what that means, but I have plenty of options for streaming music as it is, so doubt that will be the reason I finally get to it.
sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #77
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post
I'm not really sure what that means, but I have plenty of options for streaming music as it is, so doubt that will be the reason I finally get to it.
It means that Google recently opened up app development for the Chromecast to third parties.

The main reason I got a Chromecast is because those fools over at Comcast won't allow you to use the Roku HBOGo app or the Roku ShowtimeAnytime app like everyone else will. There is a Chromecast app for HBOGo and it works very well. Unfortunately, there is not yet a Showtime app for Chromecast, so you are forced to use the "cast a tab" app which does not work nearly as well.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:50 PM   #78
jmpage2

Well, now we know why there is not going to be Prime Streaming on the TiVo, Amazon just announced their own ATV competitor. Sucks. They expect us to have separate boxes for everything.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #79
stoli412

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Well, now we know why there is not going to be Prime Streaming on the TiVo, Amazon just announced their own ATV competitor. Sucks. They expect us to have separate boxes for everything.
I don't understand your logic. Prime Streaming is available on many many platforms. Releasing their own box doesn't mean they're suddenly going to stop supporting all those platforms or stop developing for new ones.
stoli412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #80
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoli412 View Post
I don't understand your logic. Prime Streaming is available on many many platforms. Releasing their own box doesn't mean they're suddenly going to stop supporting all those platforms or stop developing for new ones.
I can think of no other explanation since Roamio should have had prime streaming months ago. Maybe amazon having their own box changes the equation for them. After all, apple is their big competitor in this area and apple doesn't allow playback of their content on non apple devices.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #81
tarheelblue32

Quote:
After all, apple is their big competitor in this area and apple doesn't allow playback of their content on non apple devices.
This is Apple's greatest weakness in the long term. It is how Microsoft beat Apple on the desktop and it will be how Amazon and Google will beat Apple in the purchased media business.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:52 PM   #82
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
This is Apple's greatest weakness in the long term. It is how Microsoft beat Apple on the desktop and it will be how Amazon and Google will beat Apple in the purchased media business.
Maybe. Apple were the ones who got DRM free music available so they might like to do that for video as well.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #83
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Maybe. Apple were the ones who got DRM free music available so they might like to do that for video as well.
And in usual Apple fashion, they will charge you more for it.

There is a big difference though between music and movies given that you can buy a CD and all the music on it is DRM free, so selling DRM free music downloads wasn't really that hard to get the music studios to agree to it. You don't have the option of purchasing movies on physical media that is DRM free, so DRM free movie downloads would be a lot tougher to swallow by the TV/movie industry.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 04-02-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #84
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
And in usual Apple fashion, they will charge you more for it.

There is a big difference though between music and movies given that you can buy a CD and all the music on it is DRM free, so selling DRM free music downloads wasn't really that hard to get the music studios to agree to it. You don't have the option of purchasing movies on physical media that is DRM free, so DRM free movie downloads would be a lot tougher to swallow by the TV/movie industry.
Apple doesn't charge anything "extra" for getting non DRM versions of audio tracks. They just show up that way. They advocated for it. I don't think the studios though are playing ball when it comes to DRM.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #85
stoli412

Quote:
Apple doesn't charge anything "extra" for getting non DRM versions of audio tracks. They just show up that way. They advocated for it. I don't think the studios though are playing ball when it comes to DRM.
I still don't see Amazon abandoning support for Prime on existing or new 3rd party platforms. Their main drive is to sell content and Prime subscriptions, not the new box. It's just one more way to sell. I still think we'll see Prime streaming on TiVo eventually, though I agree it's ridiculous that it's taking this long.
stoli412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #86
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I can think of no other explanation since Roamio should have had prime streaming months ago. Maybe amazon having their own box changes the equation for them. After all, apple is their big competitor in this area and apple doesn't allow playback of their content on non apple devices.
They should have had it years ago on the Premiere but they never did. I doubt this new device is going to effect the availability on TiVo one way or the other.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #87
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I would think it would be more likely because the number of people owning the TiVos is so small.

Plus the more boxes that have Amazon streaming the more subscribers they can get. I don't see how an expensive streaming box will do much to replace other streaming boxes which already work great and costs less. $99 is alot for a streaming only box.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #88
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
$99 is alot for a streaming only box.
But it can play games too.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #89
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
But it can play games too.
Yes if forgot about that. i wish they had a less expensive version that didn't play games and didn't have voice recognition. Then drop the quad core processor to lower the price even more.

I'm going to get one but I don't want to pay $99. So i will wait until BestBuy gets them and use my $75 in reward zone dollars toward it. Plus that will reduce my taxes. With Amazon i would have to pay taxes on the full $99. WHile at BestBuy I won't get charged taxes for the portion paid with the Reward Zone Dollars.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #90
Dan203
Super Moderator

Someone posted something a few weeks ago that showed a small dongle like device akin to a Chromecast with an Amazon logo on it. Maybe that's their plan for a player only device?