TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-07-2015, 10:02 PM   #1
iconoclast

Spinning Blue Circle after 20.4.6

Since the update, several times, I had spinning blue circle for <1 minute. When I selected a show in My Shows - took long time (Ĺ-1 min) b4 it appeared & I could select play.

Previously the delay happened when making a change or setting up a new SP. Havenít set up any 1P since the update so donít know if I will get the spinning circle delays for that.

If this keeps up, I may have to restart/reset/clear program info & clear To Do list.
Iíve done it a couple times b4 when had Spinning Blue Circle.

I thought 20.4.6 was supposed to solve the Spinning Blue Circle problem!

I think it is a disservice to customers that TiVo software requires communicating (hence the delays) with the server in order to do basic DVR functions such as play or change recording options. I know TiVo wants to track everything we do, every button press, for marketing purposes but, they should be able to do this w/o interfering with smooth operation & currently the TiVo software cannot.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #2
bornleader
Roamio Pro Newbie

Agree

The reason I left Comcast's DVR Service (finally) was they had an internal system outage and I could not watch content on my X1 box. I called them and asked if I disconnected the X1 box from the system could I watch content that I had already recorded and was stored locally - Comcast said no - the DVR had to be connected to be used in any way. I immediately purchased a Roamio and mini with lifetime.

Now I see that Tivo is going the way of Comcast. The immediate connection to Tivo's servers is causing local problems. If the guide is loaded recently setting up recording should be a local issue, not a Tivo server issue.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Since the update, several times, I had spinning blue circle for <1 minute. When I selected a show in My Shows - took long time (Ĺ-1 min) b4 it appeared & I could select play.

Previously the delay happened when making a change or setting up a new SP. Havenít set up any 1P since the update so donít know if I will get the spinning circle delays for that.

If this keeps up, I may have to restart/reset/clear program info & clear To Do list.
Iíve done it a couple times b4 when had Spinning Blue Circle.

I think it is a disservice to customers that TiVo software requires communicating (hence the delays) with the server in order to do basic DVR functions such as play or change recording options. I know TiVo wants to track everything we do, every button press, for marketing purposes but, they should be able to do this w/o interfering with smooth operation & currently the TiVo software cannot.

bornleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
HerronScott

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that I saw a post where someone disconnected their Internet service and had no issues using their Roamio for functions that didn't require Internet access.

Scott

4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
MScottC

You can also hit PLAY directly from the MY SHOWS list, and they will play immediately.

MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
I'm pretty sure that I saw a post where someone disconnected their Internet service and had no issues using their Roamio for functions that didn't require Internet access.

Scott
I have tested that and you do not need the internet for any function (that does not need immediate internet connection like YouTube) including setting 1P (if the guide data is already on your TiVo) or watching stuff already recorded, IMHO when the TiVo is connected to the internet your TiVo is sending out information on what your doing, as in what 1P are you setting, what your are watching, It would interesting to know if somebody has OPT-OUT from TiVo data collection would ever get the Blue Circles ?

Old 02-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #6
joewom

You know the DVR does do things other then recordings right. It might be downloading, or something else. Like organizing things. Its like a computer something for no reason it just takes a little while longer to do something. And your phone. Sometimes its instant sometimes not. How is this a complaint and issue?

Mini X6 - Lifetime
joewom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #7
L David Matheny

Quote:

Scott
I recently reported something like that, but I'm still on 20.4.5c, which I guess I should have mentioned.

L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #8
unclehonkey

Quote:
I’ve done it a couple times b4 when had Spinning Blue Circle.
I tried that and it still didnt fix it.

Quote:
same here. Seems to have gotten worse. If there is more than one program in the folder I get the BSC when selecting the folder.

unclehonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #9
joewom

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
I tried that and it still didnt fix it.

same here. Seems to have gotten worse. If there is more than one program in the folder I get the BSC when selecting the folder.
I am not seeing that at all. Very have I gotten the blue spin since I updated almost two weeks ago. And when I did it was for a few secs.

Mini X6 - Lifetime
Old 02-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #10
unclehonkey

I get it constantly on my OTA...and its connected via ethernet

Old 02-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #11
joewom

Quote:
I get it constantly on my OTA...and its connected via ethernet
When do you get it mostly? What are you doing when you get it?

Mini X6 - Lifetime
Old 02-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #12
unclehonkey

when the BSC pops up
-trying to set up a season pass....err one pass
-opening a folder of programs. sometimes it doesnt do it but the more programs in the folder the odds of BSC showing up is good
-editing time on a one time timer (adding time)

those 3 for sure. It doesnt do it setting up a one off timer with no changes.

But it has gotten to the point I need to change my "end time" in the record defaults for some weekend programming. Justice Network seems to run about 30 seconds over the top/bottom of the hour. Since they rerun shows every 6 hours and some have no guide info a one pass does no good (I dont need 4 episodes of the same thing). So I change the defaults to "1 min later", set up my 4 or 5 programs to record (2 shows each), then set the defaults back to on time.

I've done the "clear thumbs" and "clear to do list"...did it last week and still have issues.

got the new priority update Tuesday IIRC

Old 02-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #13
joewom

Quote:
when the BSC pops up
-trying to set up a season pass....err one pass
-opening a folder of programs. sometimes it doesnt do it but the more programs in the folder the odds of BSC showing up is good
-editing time on a one time timer (adding time)

those 3 for sure. It doesnt do it setting up a one off timer with no changes.

But it has gotten to the point I need to change my "end time" in the record defaults for some weekend programming. Justice Network seems to run about 30 seconds over the top/bottom of the hour. Since they rerun shows every 6 hours and some have no guide info a one pass does no good (I dont need 4 episodes of the same thing). So I change the defaults to "1 min later", set up my 4 or 5 programs to record (2 shows each), then set the defaults back to on time.

I've done the "clear thumbs" and "clear to do list"...did it last week and still have issues.
Wow might want to call them. That is not normal if its happening that much. like I said mine hasnt done it at all. Since I upgraded my HDD this morning I lost my suggestion on the top of tivo central. Can't figure that out. But no blue spin for me 99% of the time.

Mini X6 - Lifetime
Old 02-08-2015, 04:01 PM   #14
unclehonkey

I'm going to try unhooking it from the internet to see what happens

I do have a unique setup as my Roamio is hooked via ethernet....but its hooked to a wifi extender. I use the internet from the community room in the apartment complex which is 2 floors down. When I use to have it via wifi I had enough signal to download the update but the internet would drop more often than not. The extender is more for my roku and my desktop but I noticed youtube streamed faster when hooked to ethernet via wireless. I dont subscribe to any streaming services

Old 02-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #15
joewom

Quote:
I'm going to try unhooking it from the internet to see what happens

I do have a unique setup as my Roamio is hooked via ethernet....but its hooked to a wifi extender. I use the internet from the community room in the apartment complex which is 2 floors down. When I use to have it via wifi I had enough signal to download the update but the internet would drop more often than not. The extender is more for my roku and my desktop but I noticed youtube streamed faster when hooked to ethernet via wireless. I dont subscribe to any streaming services
That could be the issue. Wifi is not consistent at all. Why I moved all tivos and even have two 4 port moca switches for my kids internet for TIVO and gaming hardware. The bridge is better if it receives both channels as if you are connected to it by Ethernet you will get better speeds however it is still wireless.

Mini X6 - Lifetime
Old 02-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #16
unclehonkey

OK I think I narrowed it down to 2 things
-the ethernet cable itself
-the ethernet port on the Roamio

but what is weird is Youtube plays fine. Here is how I figured it out

-unhooked ethernet and set it up for the community room wifi.. looked through the one passes I had set already and very snappy. no BSC. Went to see "upcoming" and it showed right away the new episodes. Set up a couple one passes (just to test) and very snappy. Lost connection once and that is due to again being 2 floors up. Signal around 45-47%

-redid wireless to my wifi extender...again looked through existing one passes and response time was very snappy. set up a couple "one passes" for some shows and again very snappy. No issues. Set up a legit one pass (nascar) and set the options for 30 min late. Again no issues

-hooked up ethernet (which is attached to the wifi extender) and as soon as I went to set up a one pass and hit "options"...BOOM...BSC for 7 seconds. Got BSC when I hit OK Use these changes....Got BSC when it said "recording is set" and I hit "OK". Actually the 1st One Pass timed out so I had to try and reset it

But again Youtube plays perfectly fine on it through ethernet as does the Live365 radio app. I'm going to try another cable later.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #17
unclehonkey

I did do a reboot of the Roamio before I started this whole ordeal to see if maybe that would fix it. Obviously it didnt as the ethernet option was last

Old 02-08-2015, 06:36 PM   #18
HerronScott

Quote:
-hooked up ethernet (which is attached to the wifi extender) and as soon as I went to set up a one pass and hit "options"...BOOM...BSC for 7 seconds. Got BSC when I hit OK Use these changes....Got BSC when it said "recording is set" and I hit "OK". Actually the 1st One Pass timed out so I had to try and reset it
You don't have wireless and wired connected at the same time in the scenario above do you (if that's possible with a Roamio)?

Scott

4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:04 PM   #19
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I think it is a disservice to customers that TiVo software requires communicating (hence the delays) with the server in order to do basic DVR functions such as play<snip>
You can play any time. Including any and all trick plays (FF, Rew, etc). Connected or not. No delays. I have binge-recorded shows, unhooked the TiVo and physically taken it to another site w/o Internet or any type of connection, and binge-watched.

The disservice is creating a post with wrong information, and not going back and correcting it.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #20
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
You can play any time. Including any and all trick plays (FF, Rew, etc). Connected or not. No delays. I have binge-recorded shows, unhooked the TiVo and physically taken it to another site w/o Internet or any type of connection, and binge-watched.

The disservice is creating a post with wrong information, and not going back and correcting it.
What we (or at least I) don't know is if the Roamio does see a internet connection does it try to send out over the internet what your doing, like trying to play a recording, if there is no internet connection all works as you said above.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:05 PM   #21
unclehonkey

Quote:
You don't have wireless and wired connected at the same time in the scenario above do you (if that's possible with a Roamio)?

Scott

no. When you are connected wired and say try to change the settings to wireless it says "you must disconnect the ethernet cable first"

Old 02-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #22
joewom

Quote:
no. When you are connected wired and say try to change the settings to wireless it says "you must disconnect the ethernet cable first"
can you use MOCA? Instead of a wireless bridge?

Mini X6 - Lifetime
Old 02-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #23
unclehonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewom View Post
can you use MOCA? Instead of a wireless bridge?
I don't understand what you are asking. I have just a Roamio OTA. No minis and no other units

My wireless connection point is 2 floors down in the apartment complex community room. I can connect to that but the connection drops due to the spot the Tivo is located.
I have a wifi extender that sits in the corner of my apartment and gets great signal. I run my desktop, roku and Tivo off of it.

If I connect to the community room wifi it works fine...no BSC (or rarely)
If I connect to the wifi extender (which has a different wifi name)...works fine. No BSC
If I connect to the wifi extender via ethernet then the problems start

The reason I plugged in the ethernet is I figured "why have it jump twice to the Tivo? From wifi to extender to Tivo...get rid of the 2nd jump". Well I guess I was wrong. I have been doing this for over a year now. When I had my Series 3 I could move the wireless adapter around for the best signal. The Roamio I would have to move the whole unit for optimum signal if I tapped into the community room wifi name. My post on that after I got the Roamio
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...7#post10244207

Old 02-08-2015, 08:23 PM   #24
joewom

Quote:
I don't understand what you are asking. I have just a Roamio OTA. No minis and no other units

My wireless connection point is 2 floors down in the apartment complex community room. I can connect to that but the connection drops due to the spot the Tivo is located.
I have a wifi extender that sits in the corner of my apartment and gets great signal. I run my desktop, roku and Tivo off of it.

If I connect to the community room wifi it works fine...no BSC (or rarely)
If I connect to the wifi extender (which has a different wifi name)...works fine. No BSC
If I connect to the wifi extender via ethernet then the problems start

The reason I plugged in the ethernet is I figured "why have it jump twice to the Tivo? From wifi to extender to Tivo...get rid of the 2nd jump". Well I guess I was wrong. I have been doing this for over a year now. When I had my Series 3 I could move the wireless adapter around for the best signal. The Roamio I would have to move the whole unit for optimum signal if I tapped into the community room wifi name.
Oh I might not have read the posts right. You are using a connection that is not solely yours? If that right your using public wifi?

Mini X6 - Lifetime
Old 02-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #25
unclehonkey

Quote:
Oh I might not have read the posts right. You are using a connection that is not solely yours? If that right your using public wifi?
yes
in our apartment complex community room there is wifi (with password.....the manager gives it to you). My Tivo can connect to it but at marginal signal
I have a wifi extender in my apartment that extends that (has a different wifi name). My Tivo is connected to that right now
When I was connected to the extender via ethernet is when I constantly got the BSC. Didnt matter when I would use it. At 9AM, noon, 7PM or 3AM. As soon as I unhooked the ethernet it worked fine

(Even if someone was in there the max I have seen is 3 people using it. Most of the time its nobody)
Like I say I have been doing this for over a year with no issues until recently with the BSC.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:41 PM   #26
joewom

Quote:
yes
in our apartment complex community room there is wifi (with password.....the manager gives it to you). My Tivo can connect to it but at marginal signal
I have a wifi extender in my apartment that extends that (has a different wifi name). My Tivo is connected to that right now
When I was connected to the extender via ethernet is when I constantly got the BSC. Didnt matter when I would use it. At 9AM, noon, 7PM or 3AM. As soon as I unhooked the ethernet it worked fine

(Even if someone was in there the max I have seen is 3 people using it. Most of the time its nobody)
Like I say I have been doing this for over a year with no issues until recently with the BSC.
Well that's interesting. All the things I can think of like max users and all wouldn't be it then unless more are using it. And or there is something wrong with the ISP. If you are using it just for internet why not just use wireless then and not the bridge. Speed is not going to be that much different.

Mini X6 - Lifetime
Old 02-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #27
unclehonkey

Quote:
And or there is something wrong with the ISP.
Comcast Business. The apt office has it too

Quote:
If you are using it just for internet why not just use wireless then and not the bridge. Speed is not going to be that much different.
Let me preface this by I am not computer savvy. So I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "the bridge" (the wifi extender)??

2 issues as to why I use the extender
-my desktop. Use to have a wifi adapter and a month or so ago it froze up and needed a master reset. Ever since then the adapter would see the wifi but never would connect. So its hard wired
-Using the wifi extender makes it so I can connect easily without any drops (unless the modem downstairs reboots)

I was using the ethernet to the Tivo again because I figured to "get rid of that extra wireless hop"

I'm going to try a different cable and/or a different port on the extender and see what happens

Old 02-08-2015, 09:02 PM   #28
joewom

Quote:
Comcast Business. The apt office has it too

Let me preface this by I am not computer savvy. So I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "the bridge" (the wifi extender)??

2 issues as to why I use the extender
-my desktop. Use to have a wifi adapter and a month or so ago it froze up and needed a master reset. Ever since then the adapter would see the wifi but never would connect. So its hard wired
-Using the wifi extender makes it so I can connect easily without any drops (unless the modem downstairs reboots)

I was using the ethernet to the Tivo again because I figured to "get rid of that extra wireless hop"

I'm going to try a different cable and/or a different port on the extender and see what happens
But you said it worked fine without the bridge so connect direct to the wireless. Unless they have two of A, B, N, or AC the bridge will offer no speed increase. Most public wifi has one band.

Mini X6 - Lifetime
Old 02-08-2015, 09:49 PM   #29
unclehonkey

Figured it out. It has something to do with the "handshake" between the extender and the Tivo when using ethernet

Tried 2 different cables on 2 different ports of the extender and same thing. BSC shows up. May be brief but it shows up
Using the wifi connection works fine. No BSC

so I'm just going to use the wireless on the Tivo

Old 02-11-2015, 09:34 PM   #30
iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MScottC View Post
You can also hit PLAY directly from the MY SHOWS list, and they will play immediately.
Thanks! Iíve been using your suggestion & hitting PLAY directly from the MY SHOWS list, and yes, show plays immediately. Iíve experimented with my previous method (Which I think is the intended TiVo method, since it provides more information on the show you are about to play) Maybe Ĺ the time I get SBC when select show & then hit enter b4 selecting play. I donít recall this happening b4 the 20.4.6 update. Whenever I got the SBC in the past, I had been adding or modifying a SP.

So, for now, unless a folder of multiple shows, I will use "direct Play" method to avoid the SBC. This is NOT a solution, it is a work-a-round of a TiVo problem that still requires a fix by TiVo.