TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-24-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
rucheridee

Do I need a slingbox?

This is the second time I'm on vacation since I got the Tivo Plus last December. The first 2-3 days the tivo stream worked fine. And now it can't connect again. I've gone months at home without using away from home stream & would remember to test the stream & it was fine. But after constant streaming away from home network for 2-3 days in a row something happens. I was hoping to catch up on 1-2 shows a day. I'm thinking my only option to guarantee I can watch my recorded shows while I'm away is to get a slingbox. Or some remote app that let's me reset a surge protector with the router & Romeo plugged into it. Anyone know of a reasonable solution cheaper than a slingbox 350 or 500?

I am still able to get to the Romeo to delete shows so I don't believe it's the home network.
rucheridee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
sangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucheridee View Post
This is the second time I'm on vacation since I got the Tivo Plus last December. The first 2-3 days the tivo stream worked fine. And now it can't connect again. I've gone months at home without using away from home stream & would remember to test the stream & it was fine. But after constant streaming away from home network for 2-3 days in a row something happens. I was hoping to catch up on 1-2 shows a day. I'm thinking my only option to guarantee I can watch my recorded shows while I'm away is to get a slingbox. Or some remote app that let's me reset a surge protector with the router & Romeo plugged into it. Anyone know of a reasonable solution cheaper than a slingbox 350 or 500?

I am still able to get to the Romeo to delete shows so I don't believe it's the home network.
I'll be a Slingbox advocate until they go out of business. I've used my 350 successfully with Tivo, FiOS DVRs and DirecTV DVRs. It's been 99.9 percent reliable.
sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I would go for the Slingbox. I am currently using a Slingbox M1 along with a Mini for remote viewing. Having full control as if I were sitting at home is the best.

My only wish is to be able to use a real remote with my laptop and slingplayer.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
Diana Collins

Quote:
...Anyone know of a reasonable solution cheaper than a slingbox 350 or 500?

Check eBay for a Slingbox Solo (generally around $50 to $60 last I looked). It will connect via component and gives a very good quality image on dicey network links (I've gotten very good results down to 1 MBit/sec and sometimes less).

The other thing to try is there is an option in the iOS app to reset the stream remotely...if you can attach to the DVR, that might work.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
rucheridee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Collins View Post
Check eBay for a Slingbox Solo (generally around $50 to $60 last I looked). It will connect via component and gives a very good quality image on dicey network links (I've gotten very good results down to 1 MBit/sec and sometimes less).

The other thing to try is there is an option in the iOS app to reset the stream remotely...if you can attach to the DVR, that might work.
Yes the error popped up screens that went thru trying to reset the stream. It wasn't working. But I happened to open up my iPad mini & noticed a download I started earlier in the car a couple days ago was still actively downloading. It finished & downloaded 2 more shows after that b4 it seemed to get stuck. Went back to my iPad Air & tried to download another. No error or setting up stream window - it went straight to calculating.

Whatever - at least I have 2 more shows to watch. But I don't like the unreliability especially when away from home. When I'm at home, no issues. I think I've had to reboot the tivo only once all year. I forget what issue I saw, but after rebooting it came back fine. This just happened within the last 2 weeks. I was like great - has to act up when I'm going away. Then I thought maybe this was best time so everything is reset b4 I leave & should be good for another 10 months.

I hope to pick up a slingbox soon with all the upcoming BF sales.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:

Have you tried just going through Setup again? I was able to do that remotely when I was on a trip recently and it fixed a similar issue.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #7
Diana Collins

Personally, I use the Roamio/Stream to download content so I can watch on airplanes. If I'm streaming, I use the Slingbox (more robust streaming, especially on slow links).

I looked on eBay and used Solos are going for $30 to $50 or so..."new in box" ones are going for $75 or so ($100 less than when they were the current model). The Solos aren't HD units (they transcode to 480p) but that's more than adequate for small screens (and part of the reason it works at low bit rates).

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

I use to have a Slingbox. My biggest issue with it was the lag. Getting past the commercials can be a PITA because there is a lag between what you're seeing on the remote computer/iPad and what is actually happening live on the TiVo. Using 30 second skip helps, but it's not 100% and the instant replay feature requires at least 2 presses to back up enough to compensate for the lag. With the Stream it knows where it is in the recording so seeking is completely accurate.

The other issue was that it was a mirror of what was playing at home, so if my wife was watching TV I couldn't use the Slingbox because it would interrupt her. The Stream can play something completely different then what's being displayed at home.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #9
rucheridee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Collins View Post
Personally, I use the Roamio/Stream to download content so I can watch on airplanes. If I'm streaming, I use the Slingbox (more robust streaming, especially on slow links).

I looked on eBay and used Solos are going for $30 to $50 or so..."new in box" ones are going for $75 or so ($100 less than when they were the current model). The Solos aren't HD units (they transcode to 480p) but that's more than adequate for small screens (and part of the reason it works at low bit rates).
I don't watch much away from home, but I noticed there is a lot less interruption if I just start the download & watch ASAP. If I get a slingbox, I guess I couldn't download, but not bad as long as I can watch my shows when I want. Is there a lot of buffering like with tivo stream? I was just streaming at first, but the buffering lag was bad at times. With the download, the viewing experience was constant - as long as the download was able to complete which became my problem.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Slingbox has a much wider range of qualities so it can deal with slow connections better. However the quality on a really slow connection can get so bad it's unwatchable so just because it works doesn't mean it's useful.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #11
rucheridee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I use to have a Slingbox. My biggest issue with it was the lag. Getting past the commercials can be a PITA because there is a lag between what you're seeing on the remote computer/iPad and what is actually happening live on the TiVo. Using 30 second skip helps, but it's not 100% and the instant replay feature requires at least 2 presses to back up enough to compensate for the lag. With the Stream it knows where it is in the recording so seeking is completely accurate.

The other issue was that it was a mirror of what was playing at home, so if my wife was watching TV I couldn't use the Slingbox because it would interrupt her. The Stream can play something completely different then what's being displayed at home.
Thanks for this input. Maybe I'm a spazz bc I seem to have the first issue already. I guess I may have more of an issue with the slingbox.

So even with 6 tuners there's no way around the 2nd issue?

I guess I got lucky this time. Usually when I get a msg about no streaming devices found, I'm dead in the water until I get home & redo the stream or reboot the tivo. I was able to download a couple more shows on my Air & Mini. Does anyone know if u can download 2 different shows to 2 devices at the same time? When I was in the car, I attempted this but only 1 device at a time seemed to show any movement. I was using a mifi.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

There is a delay when you skip on the Stream, but that's different then the lag I'm referring to on the Slingbox. The Slingbox has an internal buffer, so what you see on your remote screen is actually a few seconds behind what is actually playing on the TiVo at home. When you try to FF/RW you're sending the command to the TiVo via IR, so it's effecting what's on the TiVo at that moment which is different then what you're seeing on your screen. There isn't a pause like the Stream, but it takes a couple seconds for you to see the results of the command show up on your screen. That delay can make it very difficult to control.

Even with 6 tuners the TiVo only has one output, so there is no way around that issue. Unless you want to buy a Mini and dedicate it to the Slingbox.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

That's what a Mini can be used for. I have one TiVo Mini dedicated to my Slingbox 350. It is headless and in a closet.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
rucheridee

Quote:
There is a delay when you skip on the Stream, but that's different then the lag I'm referring to on the Slingbox. The Slingbox has an internal buffer, so what you see on your remote screen is actually a few seconds behind what is actually playing on the TiVo at home. When you try to FF/RW you're sending the command to the TiVo via IR, so it's effecting what's on the TiVo at that moment which is different then what you're seeing on your screen. There isn't a pause like the Stream, but it takes a couple seconds for you to see the results of the command show up on your screen. That delay can make it very difficult to control.

Even with 6 tuners the TiVo only has one output, so there is no way around that issue. Unless you want to buy a Mini and dedicate it to the Slingbox.
Cool - that would work for me. I was planning on getting a mini. Missed the sales back in Sep/Oct . Hope for another price drop soon.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:48 PM   #15
Huzordaddy

Slingbox 350 was less than $90 this week at amazon.com
Huzordaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #16
CharlesH

Does turning off the "Time Shift Buffer" option on the Slingbox 350 help with the lag issue? It seems to me that it helps, but for all I know, it is just a placebo effect.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:22 PM   #17
Bytez

Does the Tivo Stream have a 30 second lag when watching live tv with the Tivo app?