TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-31-2014, 12:05 AM   #1
d_bondi

Is Roamio Basic the Right Choice?

I'm contemplating adding a Roamio to my 2 Premieres and want to get experienced feedback to make sure I'm not missing something in my analysis.

The TiVo Roamio Basic with a $75 discount from the March Mayhem promotion is only $125.

It has only 4 tuners, but I have 2 Premieres (4 total tuners there), so even if I want to add TiVo Mini(s) later, I'll still have tuners to spare.

It has no Stream, but I don't know how much I would use that. I currently use KMTTG to encode to m4v for playback on my iStuff while traveling. Yes it might be an improvement, but I can always add it later for $129, and locate it at my switch in the basement where its noise won't be an issue.

As for HDD size/recording capacity, according to the upgrade threads on this forum, it is an easy upgrade.

So.... for $100 less than a Roamio Plus, I can have a Roamio Basic with 2TB HDD, and add Stream later if I get the itch. In fact, for $60 less than a Roamio Plus, I can have a Roamio Basic with 3TB HDD, and still add the Stream later, for $130 less than a Roamio Pro.

Is there some dimension I'm not figuring here, or am I right that, at least for me, the Roamio Basic is the best way to go....

"Nothing is idiot proof to a sufficiently motivated idiot"
d_bondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:12 AM   #2
tarheelblue32

The Roamio Plus and Pro have built-in MoCA while the base Roamio does not, so if you ever want to add a Mini later you will also have to purchase a MoCA adapter for the base Roamio for around $60.

The price difference between the base Roamio and the Plus is around $200, and you have to pay $60+$130=$190(+tax?) for the stream and the MoCA adapter which are already built into the Plus. And the plus comes with a larger hard drive and 2 extra tuners. So if you think you will probably add a Mini at some point, you should probably just purchase the Plus unless you think you will ever need the OTA tuner on the base model.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 03-31-2014 at 12:23 AM.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:18 AM   #3
d_bondi

Thanks for pointing that out tarheelblue32.

That is if I can't get a wired Ethernet connection to the Mini, correct?

"Nothing is idiot proof to a sufficiently motivated idiot"
d_bondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:24 AM   #4
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_bondi View Post
That is if I can't get a wired Ethernet connection to the Mini, correct?
True. I use MoCA so that is where my thinking automatically went. But yes, if your house is already wired for ethernet then you wouldn't really need the MoCA.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 03-31-2014 at 12:30 AM.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
truman861

I went with the Plus for the simple reason of the 2 extra tuners, bigger hard drive, built in moca and built in stream. Your sitting at more than 200.00 just for the stream and the mini alone. Much better investment.

Roamio Plus (Master)
3 Tivo Mini's (living room and kids rooms)
3 x Premiers (retired)
Tivo series 3 HD (retired)
Tivo series 2 with PLS (retired)
MoCA
CC: Cisco PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
T.W. Brighthouse Tampabay - Moving to Verizon Fios
truman861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
abovethesink

Quote:
Originally Posted by truman861 View Post
I went with the Plus for the simple reason of the 2 extra tuners, bigger hard drive, built in moca and built in stream. Your sitting at more than 200.00 just for the stream and the mini alone. Much better investment.
If you have any need for that stuff. I sure don't so the Basic is great for me. I've also have yet to have attempted to record a 5th show that I couldn't, but HD size has been an issue a couple times. That is upgradeable though.
abovethesink is offline   Reply With Quote