TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #1
sofakng

One channel keeps freezing: How can I troubleshoot?

I'm new to TiVo but I have a Roamio Pro and it's working great except one channel (and only that channel) keeps freezing.

It might not freeze for an hour, but then it might freeze for a second, and then freeze again a few seconds later.

What can I do to troubleshoot? I looked in the DVR Diagnostics area and that tuner shows 100% signal strength with -40 dB SNR.
sofakng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post
I'm new to TiVo but I have a Roamio Pro and it's working great except one channel (and only that channel) keeps freezing.

It might not freeze for an hour, but then it might freeze for a second, and then freeze again a few seconds later.

What can I do to troubleshoot? I looked in the DVR Diagnostics area and that tuner shows 100% signal strength with -40 dB SNR.
From what I've read, 100% is not always perfect. If you can get it down to 90% and have a 36db SNR that would be more in line with others. I assume you are OTA and the RS error counts are 0 or very low.

If you call TiVo I bet they say your signal is too strong.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
kbmb

Problem with the 100% is that that's where the Tivo meter stops......so none of us know whether it's really 100% or 122%. Tivo really needs and actual signal level, not this percentage crap.

And it's a fact that the Plus and Pro amp the signal.....so you could have a perfect signal at the outlet.....but the Tivo is going to amp that internally.

Tivo LOVES to blame the signal and SNR.

Guessing you issue is a cable co. issue. I had a channel this weekend have issues on two boxes....that was just the channel, nothing to do with the Tivos.

If you want to test, throw a splitter on the line right before the Tivo and bring the levels down so it at least reaches 99%, then you know you are right there. See if it helps.

And check the RS errors.....see if those are rising.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #4
sofakng

Thanks guys.

I also spoke with TiVo and they said my signal strength is too high. They said that signal strength should be between 80% and 99%, and SNR should be between 29 and 35 dB.

I have an attenuator at home that I'll try and/or a splitter to see if that helps. It's so strange that it only happens on that one channel though. (but to be fair we only watch maybe 5 of 6 out of the 500 channels we receive)
sofakng is offline   Reply With Quote