TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
rhoelzer

Problem Upgrading Roamio Plus Hard Drive

I just got a new Roamio Plus and ordered a WD40EZRX 4TB drive for it.

First question, I can just put the 4TB drive in it without any modification right? I had found a short thread where someone had done it but can't find that thread now..

When I put the drive in out of the box I had the file system error that said it needed to reboot and format the drive. That looped and never got anywhere. I then connected the drive to a computer and ran killdisk. After that it went straight to the setup but I only get 283 hrs capacity and 287 hrs free disk space. I've tried a couple different things, formatted NTFS and got the same thing.

I've noticed that after running it through the Tivo, when I connect it to the computer it shows the whole drive as unallocated. Is that normal since I'm looking at it in Windows?

Thanks for any help..
rhoelzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
WVZR1

I've never seen a post that mentioned the 4TB was a DIY, 3TB yes but 4TB I understood needed to be sourced from Weaknees. Could I be wrong? Maybe but that's best I recall and yours didn't work so I'd guess that's a confirmation.

Until I read your post the "thread title" had me a little apprehensive. Mine should arrive today and I may do mine. I did order a 3TB
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
tatergator1

Roamio's only support up to 3TB drives automatically. Larger drives need some pre-formatting.

You need to read this thread for the DIY on 4TB: www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=517860
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
rhoelzer

Ahh, this was the thread I had seen.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=519428

OP was using a 3TB, someone else mentioned using a 4TB but they had prepped it..
Old 12-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
rhoelzer

The DIY worked great. Easy enough..