TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2015, 09:52 PM   #1
Hi Ho

Stuck with Cox... Will Tivo solve problems or give me new ones?

I moved from the Seattle area to Scottsdale, AZ just over a month ago. For the time being I'm staying with family and paying for a DVR from Cox. I'll just say that the experience has been less than stellar. I'm on my third DVR from Cox and the problems continue. It just randomly stops recording. Well, it says it recorded but when I go to watch something it says "Recording Error". Of course this has happened with every episode of Better Call Saul so far... I'm about to throw this POS into the pool.

I have been A Dish Network customer for the past eight years. I never had a problem with them and I loved loved loved my Hopper DVR. I never once had to touch the thing. I never had to unplug it and it NEVER once missed a recording. It was by far the most rock solid DVR I have ever used. It also could hold 500 or so HD recordings compared to the 20 that this Cox DVR holds. I am really missing my Hopper.

With that said, I have always liked Tivo. As a custom installer I used to deal with them regularly and I owned a Series 2 back when I had basic cable before I went with Dish. I know they are an awesome DVR and I would love to buy one.

Here's my question. Since I am stuck with Cox in the Phoenix area and will need the dreaded tuning adapter, will this setup really get me back to the trouble free bliss that was my Dish Network setup? If I have a lamp timer on my tuning adapter to reboot it regularly can I expect to sit down and watch my favorite show after a long day and have it actually be there? I see so many complaints about the Cox tuning adapters and I don't want to spend the money on a Tivo if it's going to give me the same headaches I'm experiencing now due to Cox BS.

Thanks.

Hi Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:06 PM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Some people use the lamp timer because the TiVo does not populate the suggestions list when it is active. Others use it because the tuning adapter just needs an occasional reset.

The thing with tuning adapters is that once you get them set up properly, they generally work without issue from then on. I had to use one (on TWC) for several years, and I never put it on a timer or jumped through any hoops, but I was using it with an older Series 3 box. YMMV

You have a 30 day return policy with the TiVo, so you could at least give it a try.

Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:56 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I recommend you get the Tivo Roamio basic 4 tuner for OTA or cable connectivity. The Plus and Pro are digital cable only and would not be about to use OTA should you switch in the future.

You would need the cable Company's cable card and tuning adapter (if used). Once the cable card is paired, it should be troubleless if perfect. You can run Guided Setup before installing the cable card, but you would need to do Guided Setup again after, but don't worry as it will not delete anything or settings. The cable card slot is on the bottom under a door, while the Plus/pro is in the back.

If you need more space, you can just drop in up to a 3TB without any PC, but re-pairing of the card may be needed.

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:00 AM   #4
Azlen

I'm in the Phoenix area, am a Cox customer and a long time Tivo owner. The tuning adapter I have has been trouble free about 98% of the time and a restart solves that every time. Would definitely recommend.

Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
djwilso

I'm in the Phoenix area with a Premiere Elite/XL4 with a tuning adapter.

I have needed to cycle power on the tuning adapter every 30 days since I've had it (quite a few years now), and I've been through 3 or 4 TAs. They all behave identically.

If they're not restarted, there's some kind of authorization that times out and doesn't get automatically reauthorized, and the result is all channels go black.

It's not a big deal, though. I just have a reminder on my phone to reset it and it's good for another month. Trouble-free viewing and recording.

djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Ho View Post
Here's my question. Since I am stuck with Cox in the Phoenix area and will need the dreaded tuning adapter, will this setup really get me back to the trouble free bliss that was my Dish Network setup? If I have a lamp timer on my tuning adapter to reboot it regularly can I expect to sit down and watch my favorite show after a long day and have it actually be there? I see so many complaints about the Cox tuning adapters and I don't want to spend the money on a Tivo if it's going to give me the same headaches I'm experiencing now due to Cox BS.
I have been having constant issues with my Cox tuning adapter setup, for several months. For example, I come home and it will be sitting with one or another V error on the screen and not tune EpixHD. Sometimes I can tune up/down a few times it will fix it, sometimes not. Sometimes then a power cycle on the tuning adapter will fix it, sometimes not. Occasionally it gets screwed up to the point I can't tune hardly any channel and I have to power cycle the whole TiVo.

It is extremely frustrating and TiVo support just keeps blaming everything under the sun- signal is too hot (so I attenuate it to exactly what they want with no change) TA is defective (so I replace it with no change), not set up properly (so I spend hours on the phone with Cox trying all kinds of things with no change), cable card is defective (yeah right, so I replace that and no change). This is Cox Hampton Roads, not Phoenix, so who knows. I didn't used to have so many issues, although it was never perfect... ever.

You might be lucky, you might not. At times it seems to be just random.

Oh- and the best part- when you have a recording scheduled and there is a tuning problem, the TiVo just blindly records black the whole time and then DELETES THE PROGRAM at the end and doesn't tell the user ANYTHING like "Failure to record, please reschedule" you just lost something silently.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #7
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Long time Cox customer in Phoenix, I have had TiVo(s) since 2011, currently have:
Roamio Pro, Elite/XL4 and a Premiere upgraded to 2TB HDD and Minis

Cox has been very good at supporting TiVo, and CableCARDs and Tuning Adapters. Cox AZ uses SA/Cisco CableCARDs and Cisco Tuning Adapters.

Initial set-up *may* be a pain in the A$$, getting Cox to Authorize and Pair everything correctly with your account. But once it is set-up, assuming your signal levels are good, and you reboot the Tuning Adapter regularly it should be pretty much trouble free.

I reboot my Tuning Adapters about every 3 weeks, and also check a few SDV channels almost everyday to make sure they are tuning, and do not recall having missed a recording in the last year, maybe two. Mine are very reliable, and my sister's are also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #8
Hi Ho

Thank you all for the input. I think I will try out the Tivo. I do hope it works out as I have found that I have little tolerance for issues. A while back I built myself an HTCP with a Ceton quad CableCard tuner running Windows Media Center. It was great except when it wasn't. I got a bit sick of having to mess with the damn PC to get a picture half the time. Then there were the copy protection errors that caused missed recordings. It didn't take me long to switch back to Dish.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:57 PM   #9
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Then there were the copy protection errors that caused missed recordings.
FYI: Cox AZ is Copy-Once (CCI=0x02) on everything except the Locals, this does not cause any problems, unless you expect or want to transfer non-local broadcast recordings to a PC.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:06 PM   #10
Hi Ho

I do not plan to copy recordings to a PC but I may use the Tivo Stream functionality occasionally. I used the Dish Anywhere app to watch my Hopper from Washington for a month after I got to Arizona. I only stopped because my roommate moved out and I had to cancel my Dish service.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:17 PM   #11
gespears

I'm in Phoenix with 3 TAs. No problem except as Cox-In-PHX says, you MUST reboot them about once every month or 3 weeks. If you do not do this the TA locks up and you miss your recordings.

gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:33 PM   #12
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I suggest you add a lamp type of timer switch for the TA power. There are some that can be set for a week's worth of on/off settings. You can simply set for perhaps Monday early 4AM for when its unlikely there would be any recording events.

Then you can simply forget about having to reset the TA every so often and be happier with the results.

This timer is 7 day with minimum of 1 minute settings.

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:02 PM   #13
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I suggest you add a lamp type of timer switch for the TA power. There are some that can be set for a week's worth of on/off settings. You can simply set for perhaps Monday early 4AM for when its unlikely there would be any recording events.
For anyone adding a lamp timer, I suggest you do NOT set it up to reboot between the hours of 12am midnight and 6am, That is generally the time they do maintenance on the cable plant, channel line-up, and mapping changes, and updates.

I would set it up to reboot in the afternoon, or at least after 8am. This way, should a maintenance event leave your TA in a disconnected state, the reboot after the event, will ensure your prime-time recordings take place.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:40 PM   #14
Hi Ho

Thank you all for the suggestions. You have restored my confidence in getting a Tivo. I will be buying one when finances allow (mainly... after getting a job).

I may be buying a lamp timer sooner though as this Cox DVR seems to need a weekly reboot in order to prevent missed recordings due to "Recording Error".

Old 02-25-2015, 07:55 PM   #15
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
For anyone adding a lamp timer, I suggest you do NOT set it up to reboot between the hours of 12am midnight and 6am, That is generally the time they do maintenance on the cable plant, channel line-up, and mapping changes, and updates.

I would set it up to reboot in the afternoon, or at least after 8am. This way, should a maintenance event leave your TA in a disconnected state, the reboot after the event, will ensure your prime-time recordings take place.
What is your recommendation for frequency of rebooting? Once a day? Once a week?

These are two timers I am considering:

http://www.amazon.com/Woods-50007-In.../dp/B005WQIDHY (24 hour)

http://www.amazon.com/Woods-50008-In.../dp/B006LYHEEY (7 day)

Old 02-25-2015, 08:11 PM   #16
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
What is your recommendation for frequency of rebooting? Once a day? Once a week?
I reboot manually about every three weeks. If I were using a timer, I guess I would reboot weekly. Either Tues, Wed, or Thurs.

But, I also check and manually tune to several SDV channels most every morning and evening, just to see that everything is working properly.

My cable plant generally does maintenance on Tues, Wed or Thurs, mornings, so those days I pay special attention.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:54 PM   #17
Hi Ho

Well I hope I get a job soon so I can justify spending money on a Tivo. This #$@@!$ Cox DVR has missed every single episode of Better Call Saul so far due to a "Recording Error". Then all subsequent recordings won't play because they are "Not available at this time". I am so sick of this crap. How can they be THIS bad? Seriously! It's barely even functional and I'm paying over $25/month for the "privilege".

Is AMC an SDV channel? Is their own DVR failing at using their own SDV system?

EDIT: OK screw it. i just ordered a Roamio Basic on Amazon. Will be here Thursday.

Last edited by Hi Ho; 03-04-2015 at 12:23 AM..
Old 03-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #18
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Well I hope I get a job soon so I can justify spending money on a Tivo. This #$@@!$ Cox DVR has missed every single episode of Better Call Saul so far due to a "Recording Error". Then all subsequent recordings won't play because they are "Not available at this time". I am so sick of this crap. How can they be THIS bad? Seriously! It's barely even functional and I'm paying over $25/month for the "privilege".
If money is an issue, you could always go for one of the $0 down factory renewed Roamios.

https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/zero...renewed-roamio

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:04 AM   #19
Hi Ho

Money isn't really a problem I just thought I could hold out a bit while I found a job after my move but I just couldn't. I didn't think a DVR could be as bad as this Cox unit is. It really is horrendously terrible.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:43 AM   #20
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Money isn't really a problem I just thought I could hold out a bit while I found a job after my move but I just couldn't. I didn't think a DVR could be as bad as this Cox unit is. It really is horrendously terrible.
You're in desperate need of a TiVo my friend.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:46 AM   #21
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Is AMC an SDV channel? Is their own DVR failing at using their own SDV system?
AMCPHD is not a SDV channel w/ Cox in Phoenix, AZ

It's frequency is 147MHz - are there any HAM radio operators in your area? Possible cause for signal issues.

Last edited by CoxInPHX; 03-04-2015 at 04:59 AM..
Old 03-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #22
wickerbill

What brand of tuning adapters do the people have that have to restart them every few weeks? I'm on Cox and have a motorola TA and I never restart it and have never had a problem with it.

wickerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #23
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerbill View Post
What brand of tuning adapters do the people have that have to restart them every few weeks? I'm on Cox and have a motorola TA and I never restart it and have never had a problem with it.
I think it's mostly the Cisco tuning adapters that need to be restarted periodically.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #24
gespears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerbill View Post
Must be nice. I had 3 in my house and none of them would run for more than a month without a reboot. Not sure of the brand. Whatever they use in Phoenix.

gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:08 PM   #25
Hi Ho

I have the Tivo and I have let it do all of its updates and activated the Tivo service. Now, do I need to activate the CableCard or the TA first? Do I have to have the TA plugged in for a while before I can activate it?

Old 03-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #26
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Install both the CableCARD and Tuning Adapter, and let them both do their firmware updates. The TA may take 20 minutes or more.

Then Call Cox @ 1-877-820-8202 to have them Paired and Authorized.
http://media.cox.com/support/print_m...e_CiscoCT2.pdf

If you are not using MoCA, you can just use the TA Coax RF Out to feed the Base Roamio.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5RO...YxRnpaNlk/edit

If you have very strong signals, then you could also use a splitter to feed the Coax separately to both the Roamio and Tuning Adapter. You do not need the POE Filter for the Base Roamio.
http://media.cox.com/support/print_m...ourCiscoTA.pdf

Last edited by CoxInPHX; 03-05-2015 at 07:28 PM..
Old 03-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #27
Hi Ho

Well I have called the number and talked to someone who does not seem to know what she is doing and after spending a half hour on the phone and having her asking me for nonexistent numbers only to tell me it won't work and they need to send out a technician. I would really like to avoid that if possible. Should I just call back and try again with another person?

Old 03-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #28
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Yes, I would call back 1-877-820-8202

If they have already set-up an appointment it may be hard to get someone to help you.

All they need is:
CableCARD 9-Letter Serial Number __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

CableCARD ID __-__ __ __-__ __ __-__ __ __-__ __ __
Host ID __-__ __ __-__ __ __-__ __ __-__ __ __

Tuning Adapter Serial# or RF MAC Address.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #29
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Ask for a Supervisor and remind them that the FCC requires Self Install.

As long as there are no signal issues this should be a 10 minute process.

Write down all the numbers and ask them to read them all back to you.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:36 PM   #30
Hi Ho

Well I've called four times now and each time all they can tell me is on their end is says "Pairing Failed". At this point I'm just going to swap out the CableCard for a new one and try again.

Looking at the CableCard menus is there anything I should be looking for to indicate a problem? There is page after page of information which doesn't tell me anything if I don't know what I'm looking at. For example, if I go to the "Cisco CableCard CA" screen I see a line that says "Status: Not Staged" and one that says "CA Time: Waiting For Update...". Do either of these point toward an issue or would anything in these screens tell me anything useful?