TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
WVZR1

MoCA "networking question"

I'll try this here since the premium Roamio machines include MoCA and maybe there are more users.

I've always had my TiVo machines hard-wired with Ethernet but now I've a new Roamio Plus and maybe I should consider MoCA but don't know. When Comcast still had QAM I used "taps" at all of my locations to add a live TV feature for each outlet and now that Comcast has encrypted everything the taps serve no useful purpose. Would it be possible to use theses taps for additional MoCA outlets at each outlet. A MoCA adapter at a couple locations where I have taps might help the hard-wire capabilities of my system.

OR maybe I should just leave well enough alone and if I'd like more outlets maybe just run more Ethernet?
WVZR1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
HarperVision

Place the Roamio near your router and connect that to it using an Ethernet cable. Go into the menu on the Roamio and set it up to create a moca network. Connect it's coax jack to your home's coax cable wiring. This will transmit modulated ethernet signals (moca) throughout your home's coax network (what you're calling "taps").

If you need Ethernet in other rooms with taps for things like Ethernet connected devices then just add moca adapters where needed. If you have a TiVo mini then that can be connected directly to the coax jack/tap and it will pickup the moca signal natively. If you already have a moca adapter in the same room for other devices you can then use either it's Ethernet port or put a coax splitter there, split between the mini and adapter.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #3
WVZR1

Thank you "Dave Harper"! First stop from my router to my Roamio will be 25ft, all of my coax runs are home runs from a "Subscriber Broadband Amplifier" to the DC-9 Toner 2 outlet tap, the "out" on the DC-9 are terminated properly at each outlet. I have 3 of those taps on three of the home-runs and the fourth leg of the amplifier fed what used to be just conventional coax outlets. Will the MoCA pass though all of my coax?

A MoCA adapter at the end of each run will/could provide access for the network?

The room that I'm intending to use the Mini in has always had a wired Premiere so that will free up that Ethernet for other uses as well as the Ethernet where the Roamio is replacing a 4XL Premiere. That makes the choice of the Plus an actual advantage because I was anticipating needing to add a switch to the network for some other devices.

If I were to do a MoCA bridging device like maybe this from Amazon I could just maybe run the Ethernet drop from the modem to the bridge and eliminate my router now?

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Dual.../dp/B00FF8ZRR8

Thanks again!

Last edited by WVZR1 : 12-03-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
Marty1781

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
Thank you "Dave Harper"! First stop from my router to my Roamio will be 25ft, all of my coax runs are home runs from a "Subscriber Broadband Amplifier" to the DC-9 Toner 2 outlet tap, the "out" on the DC-9 are terminated properly at each outlet. I have 3 of those taps on three of the home-runs and the fourth leg of the amplifier fed what used to be just conventional coax outlets. Will the MoCA pass though all of my coax?

A MoCA adapter at the end of each run will/could provide access for the network?

The room that I'm intending to use the Mini in has always had a wired Premiere so that will free up that Ethernet for other uses as well as the Ethernet where the Roamio is replacing a 4XL Premiere. That makes the choice of the Plus an actual advantage because I was anticipating needing to add a switch to the network for some other devices.

If I were to do a MoCA bridging device like maybe this from Amazon I could just maybe run the Ethernet drop from the modem to the bridge and eliminate my router now?

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Dual.../dp/B00FF8ZRR8

Thanks again!
I don't quite understand what you are calling "home runs" or exactly what your current configuration is. However, here are some basic answers to your questions:

1. Unless there is something blocking it, the Moca signal from the Roamio will be distributed throughout all of your connected coaxial cabling. Therefore, putting a Moca adapter at the end of each coax run will allow access to your home network for ethernet-based devices.

2. A Mini can use either ethernet or Moca to receive a signal. Therefore, I think you are better off simply purchasing a basic $10 ethernet switch (as opposed to a $50+ Moca adapter) and using that to connect the Mini and any other ethernet devices you may have in the same room.

In fact, if there is an ethernet jack available in every room you want to place a Mini, you may want to consider just using that instead since again, an ethernet switch (which you would only need if you have multiple devices in the same room to connect) is much less expensive than a Moca adapter and will serve the same purpose of connecting the devices to your home network.

3. You cannot eliminate your router. A router is necessary for your network (and therefore the Tivo and Mini) to function properly no matter if you use Moca, ethernet, wireless, etc.

4. That Amazon bundle you linked to is not necessary for what you are trying to accomplish. It includes one Moca bridge/adapter (which you potentially need) but also a combo wireless network extender/Moca adapter. All you need (potentially) is a Moca bridge/adapter for each room where you want to place a Mini (assuming there is no existing ethernet port in the room). Moca adapters are actually lower-priced on Tivo.com than on Amazon.
Marty1781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
WVZR1

Marty - I understand. Thank you.