TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
abovethesink

Thinking of taking the flash sale deal, but already have a basic

How would this hypothetical transition work? I'd want to cancel service on my non-lifetimed Roamio Basic immediately and get the cable card in the new box. I have a bunch of questions:

1) Will have to get a new cablecard from Time Warner?
2) Will I have to get a new tuning adapter?
3) I've read about people transferring season passes. How does one do this and can wishlists also be transferred?
4) Can we still continue to go through the backlog of already recorded shows we have on the basic if it both has no TiVo service and no cablecard or will it shut itself down?
5) If I can still watch the recordings, I'd need to temporarily have two TiVos in the same room and on the same TV. How does this work with a remote?
6) What is the going rate of a used Roamio Basic without lifetime? I'd want to sell mine.

And some functional questions too about the Plus versus the Basic:

A) Does TiVo Stream need and iOS device or can it stream to a laptop? We are an android and windows family.
B) If I am starting with a blank harddrive again, I'd want to upgrade it as much as I can. How big of an internal can I add and what is the cost?
abovethesink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by abovethesink View Post
1) Will have to get a new cablecard from Time Warner?
2) Will I have to get a new tuning adapter?
You can use the exact same CableCard and tuning adapter that you are already using with the base Roamio. You will just need to call TWC to pair the CableCard to the new Roamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abovethesink View Post
A) Does TiVo Stream need and iOS device or can it stream to a laptop? We are an android and windows family.
It only works with iOS devices. There are always rumors swirling that Android streaming is coming, but it always seems to be the next software update away. The Stream does not work with laptops or Windows, and I have never heard any rumors that it ever will.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

1/2. You can re-use the same cablecard and tuning adapter. You'll have to call and get the card paired to the new box.

3. Season Passes can be copied on Tivo.com or by using KMTTG. (Do this before cancelling.)

4. You should be able to watch what was already recorded.

5. The remotes get paired to their respective boxes. I'm not positive but you might want to temporarily unplug the basic until the new remote is paired to the new box, just to avoid any initial issues.

6. Check eBay.

A. The built-in Stream only works for iOS devices right now, but Android support is supposedly coming. It's been a moving target but the current rumor is September.

B. The max is 3 TB with an off-the-shelf drive. Check prices wherever you like to shop. 4 TB is the max if you buy from a place like Weaknees that has made the necessary software modifications.

Are you under a 1-year service contract on the Basic? There might be an early termination fee until expiration.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 07-21-2014 at 03:42 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
It only works with iOS devices. There are always rumors swirling that Android streaming is coming, but it always seems to be the next software update away. The Stream does not work with laptops or Windows, and I have never heard any rumors that it ever will.
There was the recent slide show for the .2 rollout that showed android and pcs as streaming, as well as like theoretically x boxes and fire tv and such acting like minis.

That said, many of us are feeling like we're going to die of old age before we even see the android support, never mind the others!

Several slides in:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ku...er/WWX2014.pdf
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #5
spherular

Finally....

https://twitter.com/TiVo/status/501353359886934016
spherular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #6
mattack

Does anybody want to buy a separate Tivo Stream for use with Premieres and Roamio Basic? I have a Roamio Plus, so no longer need it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
caughey

Quote:
Originally Posted by spherular View Post
hehe:

Quote:
TiVo Margret Schmidt @tivodesign ˇ 6h
We need more Beta testers with Android devices. Sign up at http://fieldtrials.tivo.com and email your device info to margret at tivo dot com.

TiVo Margret Schmidt @tivodesign ˇ 36m
Ok, ok, I have plenty of Android Beta Test volunteers now, thank you!

caughey is offline   Reply With Quote